Survivalist Forum banner

EMP Danger 90% of population could die

45K views 353 replies 103 participants last post by  Pitbull_Dallas 
#1 ·
I just found this video. It was posted on Youtube in April of 1999. I have been hearing about emps a little here and there on this forum but never knew just how bad this could be.

I thought nuclear fallout would be a worst case scenario, this seems to be as bad or worst.

This video is an interview with William Forsten the author of the Book, one second after, in which he explains how easy and attack on America would actually be and how devastating it would be.

Even though the video was made last year, it is relative for today.

I would like for people to post info on what to do to survive, if this happened.

I was dealing w/ My mother dying of cancer around the time this news was out. This is all new to me. I am in shock.
Surley, I am not the only one who has not heard about this.

#69 ·
I must chime in. The principle reason EMP is so devastating is because it is a simple spike in voltage across any amount of metal due to the megnetic field of the earth moving back and forth; this is effectively like moving a magnet through a coil of wire, but on a much larger scale. The voltage spike we are talking about is in the tens of thousands of volts.

Based on that, any unshielded circuitry would experience a voltage spike that would permanently make them underweight paper weights. It makes sense that transformers would not survive, but what difference does it make if you would have to replace your A/C and heating units and every computer, radio, clock, and phone in your house?

In short, 90%+ systems that we rely on for transportation, communication, and temperature control will be toast, and no electricity will be available for their use anyways.

All the more reason to buy like its 1880 with better guns, better science, and better bikes.

As per the motorcycle, I would certainly store it in any metal container I could reasonably afford; such a vehicle would be invaluable when you ind the need to leave the area in a jiffy.

#75 ·
Lay off the Kool-Aide brother. Theres 100 years worth of oil in North Dakota alone right now. That doesnt not include whats in the gulf, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado and Wyoming.
Thats a tactic they use to keep us dependent on the Middle East trading so they can keep the prices higher. 9% of $2.50 is a bit higher than 9% of $1.00. They get more than double the taxes if they buy Mid East oil since they charge more at the pump for it.

#80 ·
No it can't. And I know as a fact that you are not nearly smart enough to know why it can't.

For starters because your not smart enough to realize that the whole way HAARP works is way over your little goody two shoes head. You cannot tell me HAARP can do any of that because your not even smart enough to know what you are spouting.

Saying HAARP can do any of the things you say it can is literally on the same order of magnitude as saying that a pig can fly. Or that the dumbasses who came up with the theory can think.

#83 ·
from what ive read as long as your motorcycle has points it should run. on the show ufo hunters they built a emp generator to put to the coil of a gas powered motor with points
in killed the engine when they put the generator up to it. iam sure though the motor would start again once the generator was taking away from it as long as it has points.
if it had a control box or computer it would not start again.

#86 ·
Yes, we're soft nowadays, Yes, we've turned into a bunch of whiney babies, but unless it stops your pacemaker, or the life support machine you're on, EMP will not harm you. It will destroy the power grid, perhaps permanently, but I don't buy the 90% mortality rate. Humans have adapted and lived on this planet without electronics FAR longer than with. Will it be hard? Yes. Will people try and take advantage of the situation? Of course they will, haven't they always? I might buy a 40% and maybe even 50% (not likely) mortality rate, but 90% is pretty far fetched. I'd bet most of the mortality would come from those who wish to do others harm, by killing, or being killed. The rest, (those who need extensive medical care, or require treatment for diseases) would perish too. Anyone who is reasonably healthy and willing to accept their situation with a certain amount of grace and resolve will be fine (so to speak).

#96 ·
#205 ·
Even the Amish trade with the English for certain types of tools and supplies they can't easily make. They'll survive like always of course, but they won't be entirely unaffected.

I see Amish at gun shows all the time.

#153 ·
Yep.
Check out the 'executive report' on this page:
http://www.empcommission.org/

A few selections-

"Several potential adversaries have or can acquire the capability to attack the United States with a high-altitude nuclear weapon-generated electromagnetic pulse (EMP). A determined adversary can achieve an EMP attack capability without having a high level of sophistication.

EMP is one of a small number of threats that can hold our society at risk of catastrophic consequences. EMP will cover the wide geographic region within line of sight to the nuclear weapon. It has the capability to produce significant damage to critical infrastructures and thus to the very fabric of US society, as well as to the ability of the United States and Western nations to project influence and military power."

"The current vulnerability of our critical infrastructures can both invite and reward attack if not corrected."

богдан;7777250 said:
Let's try this. The world will go on because an emp is a regional event a segment of the United states or the us and Canada might have the power get fried but the rest of the world will keep ticking.

And one second after js a joke. Seriously
Works of fiction are of course guesswork, but the author did his research on the subject.

The US supplies a massive amount of food to the rest of the world. There is no 1 nation that would crash if we stopped shipping food to them, the problem is if we stop shipping food to ALL of them, the richer people and nations will buy up the remaining food on the market. Just diverting part of our corn crop to ethanol production lead to death and chaos around the world, although our media didn't cover it.

https://cei.org/blog/guatemalan-children-starve-due-ethanol-mandates

"“We are witnessing the beginning of one of the great tragedies of history,” says Lester Brown, an analyst of global resources who founded the Worldwatch Institute and now heads the Earth Policy Institute. “The United States, in a misguided effort to reduce its oil insecurity by converting grain into fuel for cars, is generating global food insecurity on a scale never seen before.”"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430252/

This is just for part of our corn crop. France is the only Euro nation that has a surplus of food, and there are only 2 or 3 others that are self-sufficient. Russia has a small surplus of grain, and China has a small surplus of rice, but neither country can feed itself.

#171 ·
A nuclear explosion in space will do this. There will be no radioactive fallout from that. A space detonation will make the EMP even worse. So yeah, the weapons exist.

Reactions: MCVet
#246 ·
EMP weapons are nuclear - you gotta have gama rays to have the Compton Effect. They don't have to be very big. In the early 60s, the US set off some tht were 1.4 to 1.7 megaton devices at high altitude using balloons. Fried most of their equipment.

The original Atomic device wiped out many power lines that were double shielded. Having said that, I've worked with smaller shielded wire on aircraft. We use it to protect from Electro Magnetic Interference and Radio Frequency Interference. If you don't ground the shield properly, it becomes an antenna and sucks in all of the stuff you're trying to protect from.

Point is, that early in the game, 1940s, who knows how they did it. Ferme had most of his equipment in faraday cages to protect them from the pulse he had predicted. It was when they went to higher yields that they really began learning about EMP.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

#250 ·
I'm curious and not sure if I understand all that I read about nuclear yields.

To produce an EMP through nuclear pulse, does it only need to be an atomic yield or does it need to be thermonuclear? If I even asked the question correctly.... :eek::
An atomic yield does most of the work (from gamma ray emission) from what I understand. It doesn't take a multi-megaton thermonuclear weapon to get the job done.

I've been told there are warhead designs that are relatively small in explosive yield but very efficient in creating gamma rays. Those are the weapons that would be used for a wide scale EMP attack.

#255 ·
An atomic yield does most of the work (from gamma ray emission) from what I understand. It doesn't take a multi-megaton thermonuclear weapon to get the job done.

I've been told there are warhead designs that are relatively small in explosive yield but very efficient in creating gamma rays. Those are the weapons that would be used for a wide scale EMP attack.
This seems to be a common belief of people who haven't studdied nuclear physics. Nuclear EMP (E1) comes from only two sources fission and fusion (and the initation reaction). In order to get a pulse, everything must be generated by prompt gammas, that is the photons produced by the fission of fissile and fissionable material and fusion of hydrogen. Anythign else is too slow. So while we can select from a chinese menu of bomb components there are only a few fissile materials (materials that will support a chain reaction), and a few more fissionable ones that won't support a chain reaction, but if used as a tamper will allow neutrons to split an atom.

We know that for the fission of uraninum, 93% of the energy is kenetic (explosion), 3% is neutrons, and 4% is gammas. There is no magic to double the gammas (I don't recall the numbers for fusion (80% of the energy in in neutrons- thats all you care about) or Pu239). Adding a tamper may convert fission neutrons escaping the core to additional fission, but it's still the same rule- bomb yield goes up, and gammas are a percent of each fission.

There are some minor tricks, but nothing that dramatic.

There are also limitations of how strong an EMP can be. The oft cited breakdown strength of air is 6 MV/m, but this is for air at DC or 60 Hz. Even at ELF freqs, breakdown is far lower, particularly if the air is moist. I'm not sure whay this isn't documented better, but there are a ton of papers describing it. Many fixed radars use zero grade air or SF6 to get arround breakdown problems that would never happen at 6 MV/m.

ETA:
Someone IMed me proving me wrong because of multiple websites/articles/papers on "enhanced radiation weapons" A ERW is the technical term for a Neutron Bomb. Neutrons are not gammas, and having no electrical charge, do not participate in creating a EMP. Neutron Bombs are stripped down weapons that lack a final tamper of uranium so neutrons escape the bomb blast rather then producing a much bigger blast by causing fission in uraninum. All of the "dial a yield" nuclear weapons look like neutron bomb when they are turned all the way down to reduce or eleminate the final fission stage.. Honestly there is no reason to ever consider exploding a neutron bomb in upper atmosphere in anger, except as an antisatellite or antiballistic missle weapon.

This post has been deleted
#107 ·
"In 2013, two missiles on launchers were discovered beneath a shipment of sugar on a North Korean freighter passing through the Panama Canal, Pry said. The freighter had traveled through the Gulf of Mexico, he said."

This was a bit unnerving! I wonder how many have gotten this close that we didn't know about??

#108 ·
In 2013, two missiles on launchers were discovered beneath a shipment of sugar on a North Korean freighter passing through the Panama Canal, Pry said. The freighter had traveled through the Gulf of Mexico, he said.

from the article

Kim Jong Reading one second after?

this blows my mind.
art following life...life following art

#115 ·
богдан;7776788 said:
Never too late to start livingIke the amish
The Amish are nowhere near as self reliant as many people believe. They buy much of their seed and many other things from outside sources. They even have special buggy parking spaces at WalMart.

Granted, they will be more prepared than most, but probably not more than a well prepared prepper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.