Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > The International Section > Our World Wide Survivalist Forums > British Isles and ROI
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-24-2012, 01:56 PM
I ❤ diversity

Advertise Here

The entire west coast is a suitable place for a small sailing craft with shallow draft to allow long periods of self sufficient living. Britain is very much an island nation.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:25 PM

Tough one to answer in the UK, everywhere is pretty much within easy walking distance of a decent sized town or city. The Scottish Highlands have historically always been a good place to hide out.

This should give some ideas, avoid the places with lots of lights.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Volpi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2012, 01:34 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volpi View Post
Tough one to answer in the UK, everywhere is pretty much within easy walking distance of a decent sized town or city. The Scottish Highlands have historically always been a good place to hide out.

This should give some ideas, avoid the places with lots of lights.

im so glad i live in one of the dark spots
Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Target Shooter

Location: The original Birmingham, Engand, or as we call it the BLACK COUNTRY

where you bug out to will get flooded by everyone else leaving the cities and towns, everywhere is going to get flooded with thieves and chancers out to rob, strip and pinch any thing they can. but thats why we prep

personally i think your all bonkers for the ideas so far, lol

WE ARE AN ISLAND NATION so why not live just off it?

me personally i am off down the river severn collecting as many barges as i can the idea is to make a floating secure castle in the middle of the bristol channel, feeding off the wood and debre that floats down and the fish that float up, a small sailing boat will allow for night time trips to the shore to collect mud and foods .
cardigan bay in mid wales is another great spot, fairly shallow sea water, but with some protection

i dont get the "the lets bug out to the countryside thing"
everyone seams to think they can instantly revert to the war years and our parents skills, what will happen is instead of say 1,000 people collecting food and fuel from the countryside there is going to be several million trying to do it, they are going to strip and destroy any thing and every thing they can all under the name of self preservation, and as for north scotland, forget it the locals cant survive unaided at the best of times. it will end up a massive grave yard for people who thought they could live there

nope sorry people the sea is your best bet
Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgerowpete View Post

WE ARE AN ISLAND NATION so why not live just off it?

Because we can't the means to live off the land no longer exist.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jubbles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgerowpete View Post
i dont get the "the lets bug out to the countryside thing"
it will end up a massive grave yard for people who thought they could live there

Agree entirely.

How about cannibalism? Interview with plane crash survivors.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Recent Blog:
Gone.

Thanked 24,874 Times in 10,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubbles View Post
Because we can't the means to live off the land no longer exist.
I disagree

Although I don't think thats what pete was saying, I believe he was saying leave the land behind and make like Waterworld with a floating fortress.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
I disagree

Although I don't think thats what pete was saying, I believe he was saying leave the land behind and make like Waterworld with a floating fortress.
An individual can survive off the land yes, but the land would be stripped clean, polluted and wrecked in the even of a big time SHTF, 66 million people leave an awful mess behind.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Trapper

oh and the sea idea is nice but try getting sufficient vegetables, fruits and other such essentials to grow or even eat.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Still standing

Thanked 1,429 Times in 629 Posts

This is a Yank butting in again.

I think you guys have the capability to be more self-sufficient than you imagine. Dear Lord, I've only a small garden, but I'm usually stuck with more vegetables than we can eat. I certainly end up giving away squash (not this year, the drought did my garden in, I needed to water it much more often / run the roof's downspouts into it).

When society really breaks down, I imagine that nobody is going to care if some looters get shot or step on booby-traps and such. Liberal whiners are enabled during fat-times, but they'll shut up when the SHTF. Nobody is going to have an ounce of sympathy for interlopers when times get hard.

Screw razor blades to your clubs, buy up shotgun shells, road stars can be used against looters on foot (put them under a cover of grass sod -- they'll come up through the sod and into people's feet, use earplugs for the screaming), there are an infinite number of ways of taking the enemy out of action. Crush their will to exist. Burn them to death ... drive over them with trucks if all else fails.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1CY0C48906
Old 11-26-2012, 01:27 AM
Recent Blog:
Gone.

Quote:
An individual can survive off the land yes,
Sorry you said the means to live of the land no longer exists........ it does the knowledge for the most part is whats lost.

Quote:
but the land would be stripped clean, polluted and wrecked in the even of a big time SHTF, 66 million people leave an awful mess behind.
  1. Out of those 66 million how many have the means to hunt larger game?
  2. Out of those 66 million how many have the knowledge to hunt/trap smaller game?
  3. Out of those 66 million how many have have the knowledge to identify edible/medicinal plants?
  4. Out of those 66 million how many will end up carrion fodder should they try to live off the land?

I reckon not many to the first 3 and the majority to the last 1

I hear many of the guys states side saying that game will be hunted to extinction should the hammer fall, imho it's more likely all the townies blundering around will drive the game further away and it'll return when the ruckus dies down which will be about the same time as population does.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:21 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Sorry you said the means to live of the land no longer exists........ it does the knowledge for the most part is whats lost.

1. Out of those 66 million how many have the means to hunt larger game?
  2. Out of those 66 million how many have the knowledge to hunt/trap smaller game?
  3. Out of those 66 million how many have have the knowledge to identify edible/medicinal plants?
  4. Out of those 66 million how many will end up carrion fodder should they try to live off the land?

I reckon not many to the first 3 and the majority to the last 1

I hear many of the guys states side saying that game will be hunted to extinction should the hammer fall, imho it's more likely all the townies blundering around will drive the game further away and it'll return when the ruckus dies down which will be about the same time as population does.
i agree, i know of only 1 other lad in my area who hunts game. we are that house who always has a rabbit or 4 hanging on the porch. Im 1 of only 2 people in my locality with firearms.
Im the only person i know who ever went or ever goes rabbiting with ferrets and nets.
Im the only NON farmer i know with working dogs, ever seen a rottweiler trained to scare and retrieve? its a beautiful thing :>

I have 4 sled dogs, numerous guns and weapons. a big 4x4 and plenty of gas, i have a generator. 2 quads several chainsaws. a good veg bed 2 sows in pig 7 horses, over 30 chickens and ducks 2 caravans.5 acres of grazing.

im fairly certain infact 100% certain me and my family could live years, the only issue would be diesel, which is why i have a hand pump to get at those under ground petrol stations once the power goes out.

Mr boat guy is having a buble bath, 1 strong storm and your abode is gone bye bye. i prefer my bricks and mortar and if push comes to shove my 4x4 can pull a hell of alot of my stuff off to a new location.

my mate who also preps even has a tractor boooyackaaashaaaa

also red diesel rules :D
Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 AM
I ❤ diversity

Quote:
oh and the sea idea is nice but try getting sufficient vegetables, fruits and other such essentials to grow or even eat.
Goodness you've a negative outlook Seashore foraging is one of the most "fruitful" places in the whole of the UK (outside Tesco maybe).

For a very brief introduction:
http://naturesmother.wordpress.com/2...-the-seashore/

And it's mile after mile after mile of coast in case you hadn't noticed. Your comment is probably more valid for any person living in an urban environment post SHTF.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2012, 04:25 AM
Recent Blog:
Gone.

Case in point as posted on P2S yesterday: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ms-garden.html
Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 AM
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival

Quote:
Case in point as posted on P2S yesterday: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ms-garden.html
i wont go near mushrooms ... and i have books ... not worth the risk if your unsure
Old 11-29-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaculas View Post

I have 4 sled dogs, numerous guns and weapons. a big 4x4 and plenty of gas, i have a generator. 2 quads several chainsaws. a good veg bed 2 sows in pig 7 horses, over 30 chickens and ducks 2 caravans.5 acres of grazing.

my mate who also preps even has a tractor boooyackaaashaaaa

also red diesel rules :D
I'm coming to your house when TSHTF lol

nice setup