Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Default Anyone have experience with Special Forces S-3 NBC Suits?

Advertise Here

Are these worth getting or is there something better for the money?

Special Forces S-3 NBC Suits
Old 11-09-2012, 05:21 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Anyone..............
Old 11-10-2012, 06:07 PM

I'm not sure if I used the special forces suit though... but I did use a chemical suit...They are hot... no ventilation.. but i guess they do work.. went through a tear gas chamber with it on and my skin didnt burn. Went back in without it and my skin was burning... it does leave a slight charcol residue on your skin when you take off the suit though...
The Following User Says Thank You to porsche2nr For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 01:01 PM

By slight charcoal residue he means your under clothes and skin will be completely covered in black dust that refuses to wash out. Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder comes to mind.

I have purchased a few of these but not sure if they are the same model as the ones you are asking about. I have also worn the current issue mopp style suits and they are way more comfortable and breathable.

The charcoal version makes a huge mess and should only be worn in an emergency.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hashashin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2012, 05:24 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashashin View Post
By slight charcoal residue he means your under clothes and skin will be completely covered in black dust that refuses to wash out. Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder comes to mind.

I have purchased a few of these but not sure if they are the same model as the ones you are asking about. I have also worn the current issue mopp style suits and they are way more comfortable and breathable.

The charcoal version makes a huge mess and should only be worn in an emergency.
Is this the suit? http://www.interamer.com/moppnbcprotectivesuits.aspx
Old 11-12-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGunn View Post
What I am referring to is the current issue JSLIST suit commonly referred to as a "mopp" suit in the army. This does not contain charcoal and is more like a gortex material. Much better product if you ask me.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/conten...htweight.shtml

They are kind of hard to find unless you know someone in the military. They dont come up very often on surplus sites but there are a few places that carry them.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,232 Posts

The advantage provided by the JSLIST is packability and light weight. It comes in a vacuum packed wrapping that contains the entire suit in a very small space.

SF went to this version, because quite frankly, we could never realistically carry standard MOPP suits in our rucks. They were too bulky. The newer suit allows you to reasonably have one with you if mission profile indicates the need. You still have to fit gloves, boots, and mask into your load. We rarely carried them. Never in the Iraq after the 2003 invasion. Never in Afghanistan. Never anywhere else.

Unless you anticipate facing wartime chemical agents, what's the point? Here in the USA, a suit might offer some protection from a nearby chemical spill or industrial accident, but really...you'd either get evacuation warning from local officials or news channels...or you'd get contaminated before you'd ever have a chance to get to your stuff and don it. Suits are not for hunkering down in...they are for allowing you to survive just long enough to get way the hell out of the area.

So in answer to your question...Yes, they are worth the money. They are compact, light weight, and work as well as anything else.

They'd protect your skin & lungs (in concert with mask, gloves and sealed pants legs) if you were in a standoff with authorities and expected to be gassed (CS or Pepper), but at that point, you've got other problems.

But against lethal agents, they are not really practical without an organizational CBRN detection net, intelligence warning, and decontamination means.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM

The reason you dont find many surplus NBC suits is when they get fithy most are thrown in the trash. If you wash them they no longer have charcoal in them .....try it sometimes and look in your washing machine when your done....Jeeeeze!

If you get them new in sealed packs they are worth it if your using for protection against chemical weapons.....They wont stop radiation and are no better than long sleeved shirts and taped down gloves in that situation....they wont stop biological agents but will soak up the misting agent and then get thrown away...same as regular clothing.

So if your not expecting a chemical attack.....buy some thicker shirts and pants....disposable rain gear...its all just as good! The russian Biological suits during the cold war were actually rain gear but they didnt have a plan to replace them...they cleaned them with hot soapy water instead!

SSGT

EX US ARMY NBC DEFENSE NCO
The Following User Says Thank You to SSGT PRIDE For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM

I know the over boots were always a pita lol.

SSGT PRIDE
Is right don't wash the suits!

Needless to say I had some extra duty after washing some suits. Lmao
Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGT PRIDE View Post
They wont stop radiation and are no better than long sleeved shirts and taped down gloves in that situation....they wont stop biological agents but will soak up the misting agent and then get thrown away...same as regular clothing.
Not all of the information you gave is correct or up to date.

The JLIST does protect against radioactive fallout particles and biological agents when exposed for up to 24 hours when wearing the entire setup... suit, mask, gloves, ect.

It also no longer contains charcoal but instead uses carbon that is bonded to a backing material and leaves no residue even when washed. They can also be laundered and still retain effectiveness up to six times.