Survivalist Forum banner
52K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  davis 
#1 ·
I really want to buy my first AR 15, and I'm concerned about prices. After a lot of research, I have decided to go with a Colt LE 6920. I saw only one at an Atlanta area gun show yesterday (April 2009) selling for $1800. I tried to get the price down but the guy wouldn't budge, and said he sold 6 at that price the day before. I was tempted to buy it anyway, but there are always gun shows in this area.

I noticed that the president announced last week during his trip to Mexico that his administration would not seek any gun bans. House and Senate leaders Pelosi and Reid are against gun bans (Hard to believe, but I read this in the news). Will this announcement eventually cause the prices to go back down? Should I wait to buy that new Colt?:confused:

#2 ·
Can you find any other brand AR-15 in your area or are you set on having a Colt. I would say go the kit route but right now have not seen any lower receivers or full parts kits in stock.

Im sure Del-ton, Model1 Sales and some other places would have the kits. Also take a look at Akpartskits.com thats where I got my kit from.

If you can find a full AR in a good price range in your area and your not set on a Colt go for it. Thats a steep price for an AR just for it to say colt.

#3 ·
Colt

I know there are other good brands out there, but I would like to get the colt 6920 because it looks like it got the best reviews. if I have problems with my rifle, I don't want to regret not buying a colt.

I'm really new to these types of rifles. I don't see myself buying parts and assembling one. I also like the idea of a warranty to back it up.

#4 ·
I'll sell you a mint condition 1972 Colt car-15,with original owners manual and receipt,a couple nifty upgrades,tactical sling,5 mags and mag-pouch,and 350 rounds af ammo,all for the low-low price of $2000,even. FTF georgia sale, no tax,no B.S.
Think about it.:thumb:

#9 ·
My $0.02

Wait 3 months and watch prices drop and selection rise. Suppliers are already bouncing back across the nation from the past 8 months and prices will come down. Second, don't by a complete rifle system from a gun show, especially if it is from a dealer who travels the circuit and is not from your part of the woods if you know what I mean. Gun shows are only good for hard to find parts and private sales IMO. Its fun to watch the all the people there get caught up in the hoop-la and excitement and get there pants pulled down on something they could have got cheaper online or gunbroker.com, I think its funny. Anyway, with your budget you could do much better than Colt. Take a look at Wilson Combat or Lewis Machine & Tool.

#12 ·
Colt will bring a premium...

Price for waiting. It will only get worse.

Bushmaster and other brands are just as good.

Check out:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=127081788

If you know someone with a Federal Firearms License, you can purchase from gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com. The rifle is sent to your FFL transfer person. You pay a fee to fill out Form 4473. If your not a felon or a nut, you get your gun. :D:

#14 ·
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can get an AR on gunbroker.com right now from $1000 up to $1400, some with furniture already on them. Those were the prices I saw about a month and a half ago. I ordered an extra S&W AR M&P15X last December from AdventureOutdoors (Smyrna, GA), and it still hasn't shown up. They told me it would be about a 2 month wait back then. :/

Just find yourself a local gun shop or someone w/ an FFL, and get one on gunbroker if you can't find any locally. I wouldn't pay more than $25 to anyone w/ an FFL for the transfer fee tho...Some are as high as $40 because of demand.

You shouldn't have to pay more than $1400 for a good AR at this point.

As others have pointed out, you can also build your own...it's not hard, but it can seem a bit daunting if you're new to ARs.

Also, don't forget about ammo...You might as well buy 1000 rounds (or more if you can afford it), because you'll go through 100 sighting it in, then you'll want to get proficient in using it. Plus, you will want to have some left over. Many AR owners keep 2000+ rounds...

#15 ·
Thanks for all the input fellas

Thanks guys. I think I'll try to call that shop in Athens GA because I go through there every week for work. I think I am willing to spend no more than $1500 for that Colt 6920. I just want a great rifle that is perfect right out of the box, no headaches, confusion or regrets.

I recently bought a new Century wasr 10 ak47 at a gun show. I was disappointed that it has some problems with it: not all mags will fit, the handguard retainer slips up and down the barrel, the cleaning rod pops out after shooting a couple rounds. I can't believe it has these issues and it is brand new and I paid $700. It does have a tapco collapsible stock and tapco galil handguard, and a receiver cover with a rail. It does shoot great, but you have to be a gunsmith to get everything perfect. At least I didn't have to install those 3 upgrades myself.

#16 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll try to call that shop in Athens GA because I go through there every week for work. I think I am willing to spend no more than $1500 for that Colt 6920. I just want a great rifle that is perfect right out of the box, no headaches, confusion or regrets.

I recently bought a new Century wasr 10 ak47 at a gun show. I was disappointed that it has some problems with it: not all mags will fit, the handguard retainer slips up and down the barrel, the cleaning rod pops out after shooting a couple rounds. I can't believe it has these issues and it is brand new and I paid $700. It does have a tapco collapsible stock and tapco galil handguard, and a receiver cover with a rail. It does shoot great, but you have to be a gunsmith to get everything perfect. At least I didn't have to install those 3 upgrades myself.
Unfortunately for you, Century is known for making crap AKs as well as Olympic Arms

#18 ·
I just got my dealers license and I can tell you if the guy was offering to sell you a Colt AR-15 for $1800 then he had a huge, and I mean huge, markup. I'm looking at one of the wholesalers I can use, and have purchased a firearm through, and at $1300 I would still be making really good money.

Bushmaster and DPMS AR-15's are listed even less.

Shoot me a private message and I can get into some specifics if you want to know more.

#20 ·
I really want to buy my first AR 15, and I'm concerned about prices. After a lot of research, I have decided to go with a Colt LE 6920. I saw only one at an Atlanta area gun show yesterday (April 2009) selling for $1800. I tried to get the price down but the guy wouldn't budge, and said he sold 6 at that price the day before. I was tempted to buy it anyway, but there are always gun shows in this area.

I noticed that the president announced last week during his trip to Mexico that his administration would not seek any gun bans. House and Senate leaders Pelosi and Reid are against gun bans (Hard to believe, but I read this in the news). Will this announcement eventually cause the prices to go back down? Should I wait to buy that new Colt?:confused:
First of all, you can take anything and everything that comes out of Pelosi/Reid/Holder/and Obama's collective mouths when it comes to gun legislation, and bet every dime you've got that it's an outright lie. You won't lose any money. Saying publically that they won't seek any new gun bans means that they won't try and do it today. And if that's the case, it is only because it isn't politically feasible today. However, if you think that they've abandoned their agenda of complete disarmament of the American public, then you will one day find yourself sadly mistaken. Gun-grabbers, like other enemies of freedom, are patient...they are content to wait until the moment is right...years if necessary, before they strike. But their goal has not changed. It's a constant search for ways to upend the 2A, or find a way around it (see the thread on the International Arms Treaty that the Big "O" wants the senate to ratify).

As for pricing, take your $1800 and buy a Mini 14, a Mini 30, and an SKS.

#21 ·
Agreed

Dv0042, I agree with your opinion about the democrats. I just want to know if there is someone out there who knows how the political climate relates to gun prices. I was too young to notice these things when clinton was in office.

Why do you suggest a mini 14 and SKS? I already own an ak 47. I just think an AR 15 would make my collection more complete. Thanks for your suggestions.

#23 · (Edited)
I finally got one fellas

Hey guys. I'm a proud owner of a brand new Colt LE 6920. I finally found a decent price in Columbus GA. The sticker price was $1489.99. I sure am glad I didn't pay $1800 at that gun show last weekend. I heard you can get them at $1550 in Athens GA. That is really a great store in Columbus, probably because fort Benning is nearby. Have patience and you don't have to pay the jacked up prices at gun shows. I did some research, and discovered it was normal to pay around $1200 back in 2005, so I figured $1500 would be reasonable now.

I haven't shot it yet, but it looks great. The finish is flawless and it is lighter and smaller than I expected. Now I'm going to look into upgrades to add on to it. Any suggestions? The only complaint I have is it only came with 20 round mags, and the handguard is not a rail system. I think it was a good deal overall.:D

#25 ·
I think spending that much money on an AR and not building to save 6-700 bucks is kind of out there. I would even go with another brand that is cheaper if you dont want to build.

The more money you save the more ammo and mags you can buy. Also the more preps you can buy. The price of 1400-1800 bucks you could buy two ARs or one AR and enough ammo and mags to last for a long time.

Look at the DPMS, BushMaster, Rock River Olympic Arms and some other brands and then buy about 4-5 thousand rounds for what one Colt will cost you.

I also say take a look at building its not hard and a great way to get to know your rifle and the money you save you can double your ammo with your budget.

#26 ·
If you could cough up a couple more bucks, definitely go with the Colt. Mil Spec or not is one thing; the more important factor is the parts are heat treated and rigorously tested (some magnetic XXX process I believe, etc..) to ensure no defect and absolute reliability. If you are thinking about the Colt AR-15, seriously consider the Colt 6721 Tactical instead of the Colt 6920 LE. The Colt 6721 is 7.24 lbs without the magazine and sling. The 6920 is about a lbs lighter. Both models are well balance and no noticeable difference in weight unless you drag it along for hours with a rack sack, which most civilians won't. There is some huge misconception out there that the two carbines are "basically the same" other than the design for M203 grenade launcher with 1 in 7 rate of twist barrel (Colt 6920) and the HBAR with 1 in 9 twist (Colt 6721). Most Colt enthusiasts and shooters overlook or unaware of the significance of these differences. The 6721 Tactical is unquestionable hands down the better weapon of the two models for 2 significant reasons. (1) The heavy barrel (HBAR) on the 6721 will not easily overheat for sustained rapid firing and is a bit more accurate than the 6920. (2) The slower 1 in 9 twist rate will have a bit more devastating effect on the target (yes, it will tear up the target more than just penetrating a small hole thru). The 1 in 7 twist faster twist rate in the 6920 design was intentional as a result of the Geneva Convention and agreed by the department of defense to be a "wounding gun", which has less devastating effect. Colt company representatives confirmed the 1 in 7 twist best supports bullet weight 55-80 grains, while the 1 in 9 twist shoots 55-70 grains. It all depends on what you are going to use the weapon for. The ONLY time you would want to choose the 6920 over the 6721 is when you want to shoot competition beyond 600 yards (and it won't be much effective further that) or plan to put M203. The 6920 faster twist rate will better handle bullet weight up to 80 grains. Keep in mind though neither of these Colt models are designed to be sniper weapons for long range. If you want a long range weapon, you'll need something else. IMHO after long research and personal experience, the 6721 is without a doubt the better to have between the 2 models.

#27 ·
This old dredged up thread sure brings back memories for me. Just before the 2008 election when it was obvious which way it was going a buddy and I got serious about buying an AR. But so had everybody else and their brother. He picked up a Bushmaster Carbon 15 for just under $1000 but I was wary of them for my only AR. I couldn't make up my mind with the limited stock in town but did buy a nice pistol instead.

Of course the situation got much worse by the time of this thread and there was no way I could pay the inflated prices of the day. And building an AR was next to impossible since you could be backordered on parts for eight months.

Of the replies here I notice Woody Creature pretty much nailed it saying wait a few months until production increased and demand dropped. That's exactly what happened and I was able to start my build in late August 2009. Found a S&W lower receiver for $130 in town and I was on my way. Got a LPK and buttstock within a few days and then had a working lower I could test with my buddy's Carbon 15 upper. Soon after I got an ArmaLite midlength upper and a used carry handle and had a great AR for about $800. Today the same rifle could be built even cheaper.

The Colt LE 6920 is down in the $1100-1200 range today and you can beat that with a BCM for maybe even a little less or the incredible Spikes Tactical models in the $800 range (for full milspec!) Happy days are here again (for a little while)! A great time to buy or build an AR anyway.

#28 ·
if u arent set on having colt stamped on your receiver, think about a stag arms, or u can get a del ton rifle kit, for like 550ish then u can get the stripped lower u need from anyone depends on what u wanna pay for the lower, a double star stripped lower can be had for around 100bux, so there u go a quality AR for a round 700bux

#29 ·
CMMG bargain bin 1/7 twist Chrome lined AR's are $650.

Their 1/9 non-chrome lined are $599 ..I have owned one of these and it was fantastic.

I encourage you to get one of these if you are looking to go the affordable AR route.

I recently sold my CMMG AR and ordered a BCM midlength upper and a $80 Aero Precision lower ...they should be fantastic.

~Norinco

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.