Survivalist Forum banner

Monolithic domes

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  danglefeet 
#1 ·
So I been kicking around the idea of going into the shelter/bunker bussines im thinking underground monolithic domes cheap easy to build and can be either small or large I have been reading alot about them and being as how im not a millitary engenier would liketo hear some thoughts on the idea or if any body has one of there own

#2 ·
I saw something on the history channel about irish villagers hiding from vikings, and they had constructed a vaulted dome out of field stone loosely placed then backfilled over it with earth and the compression of the earth bearing down on the stone caused there to be no movement of the rocks,

#8 ·
Most of the domes I have looked at do have a simple fan in the the middle of the ceeling for pumping the warm air back down in the winter and lifting it up in the summer well the ones that dont have an up stairs ... I really think this may be the way I will go

there arnt many places that build them so I could be looking at somthing good to getinto here

#14 ·
Was once in an above ground dome home let me share this with you. if you are taller than the average human, you need to take a really close look at your design plans. When you start getting close to the edges it can get to be a bit of a problem headroom wise. I had headaches from banging my head so much. know the difference between a 3/8 sphere dome and a 5/8 sphere dome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.