Survivalist Forum banner

fixed blade knife

4K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  corndogggy 
#1 ·
Why do people recommend a fixed blade knife for the bail out bag over a folding knife?

thanks

#3 ·
Seriously? A solid piece of steel that runs from the point and all the way down through the handle is going to be much stronger and more reliable over folder that is only connected to a handle via pivot point.

If in an emergency could you baton or chop with a folder reliably?

The only place where I can see a folder having any advantage over a fixed blade would be for Every Day Carry.

#6 ·
A pocket folder is great for easy access and quick tasks such as cutting string, tape, cleaning game, etc.

A good quality, heavier fixed blade is great to have for other cutting tasks you just can't easily do with a pocketknife. Light chopping, breaking through ice in a pond for water, heavier prying.

In a pinch you can even split logs with a Ka-Bar or similar sized knife. Just lay the log on its end, lay the knife blade across the end of the log, and pound the knife down through with another log. Almost easier than swinging an axe.

#10 ·
Seriously though; each has its own place, I'd recommend if using a folder, you use a very strong construction with an extremly good locking system. One folder (while quite large) is the Cold Steel Rajah II; its locking system is undoubtedly one of the best, I have one and absolutly love it. Frame locks make sure lock up 90-100%. I chose to go with a fixed blade ( Gerber ASEK) over some of the other brands..remember it dosn't have to break the bank, and you and your survivalist friends aren't gonna be sitting around admiring each others blades.
I like the way Nutnfancy put it...once you buy it and put it in your kit; forget about it...

#16 ·
After you decide to get a fixed blade, then you need to choose the style.
A combat style fighting knife like the Ka-bar, SOG Tech Bowie, etc.
A military survival knife like the Gerber LMF II.
A utility / survival knife like the BK2 Becker Companion (Ka-bar)
A hunting / camping style like Buck, etc.
You also should consider the different types of steel & finishes.
Not to mention all the esoteric custom knives.
http://www.tadgear.com/shop.php?cat=30
The choices are endless and the sky is the limit on price.
Anyway, I guess you get the picture.
We have a site sponser "Rocky National". That Gerber LMFII looks very tempting :)
http://www.rockynational.com

#17 ·
If your looking for a good quality fixed blade check out the becker companion, 5 1/2 in. blade , A full 1/4 in. thick, this thing is built like a tank. Its a pretty heavy blade weighing almost a pound, sharp right out of the box.
If you shop on line you can find them for about 55-60 dollars, your not going to find anything better for the price!

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.