Survivalist Forum banner

Schrade Extreme Survival SCHF2 Fixed Blade Knife

8K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Palma 
#1 ·
Does anyone have one of these knives yet? It comes in drop point and spear point with or without partial serrations in a 5.5"and 7.5" blade. It is made from a single piece of 1070 high carbon steel. It LOOKS like a Chris Reeve, I'm sure that is what it's SUPPOSED to look like though. I was wondering if any of you had experience with this knife. I like the looks of it and at $59.00- $64.00 (saw the ad at BladeHQ.com) it's pretty appealing. Before someone says it, I know it's not a Chris Reeve and you could in no way expect the same quality form it that you would a Chris Reeve. But for $65.00 bucks if you got even a quarter of the use out of it , you could afford to buy more than a dozen of these for the same amount of money.

I would like to hear from someone who has used one before I buy one. I've got plenty of knives and don't EVEN need another, but it is kinda neat....for the price. :thumb:

#3 ·
Well, since it's made from ONE PIECE of steel rather than like most hollow handled knives, it shouldn't share the same inherent weaknesses. The original Rambo knives (made by Jimmy Lile of Russelville, Arkansas) and the Randall knives like the model 18 have the tang inserted and fastened into the handle. These are BOTH excellent knives, but they are a 2 piece design. The Chris Reeve knives (and apparently these) are made from a single piece of round stock that is then ground to form a blade. It would be no stronger or weaker than a full tang knife with handle slabs merely attached to it.

I think I'll buy one just to see what the quality is.

#5 ·
I have been looking at the SCHF9. It has 1095 steel and a full shank. Plus it is made in the USA. The only turn off I have about this knife is it is made by Taylor which has had quality issues in the past.

As far as the SCHF2 goes I never have been a fan of hollow handle knives as a survival knife, but to each their own.

#6 ·
I have been looking at the SCHF9. It has 1095 steel and a full shank. Plus it is made in the USA. The only turn off I have about this knife is it is made by Taylor which has had quality issues in the past.
They're all being made in China now. That's not to say that a current-production Schrade will be a bad knife simply because of that, but the prices are starting to get high enough that it really is possible to get an American-made knife of similar or better specs for the same money. Now, to be fair, I have two Schrade fixed blade knives of the same model, one American and one Chinese, and there is virtually no distinguishable difference, but they were around $20-25 at the time.

#11 ·
I have one and have carried it on several trips for the last few years. I'd say buy one. The only complaints I would have is the screw cap is not steel and the stupid tool kit in the handle was a lame idea but came right out.
Holds a good edge and as tough as anything else I've lugged around.

Russ

#13 ·
I own two of the CR one-piece knives, but must admit the Schrade copies are pretty decent for the price. Since you really can't get CR without paying collector prices, they fill a specific knife niche.

As to the one-piece designs, they are the most robust hollow handle knife designs, but the handle can be hard to get use to. Being round and straight makes use a little difficult; at least for some methods for using a fixed blade.

Again, for the price, you really can't beat it and I don't see it so much as a rip of the CR design as a tribute. My son likes the Schrade and I wouldn't let him abuse my CR Project 1:D:

ROCK6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.