Survivalist Forum banner

Best fixed blade survival knife for the $

109K views 81 replies 54 participants last post by  East Coast Woods 
#1 ·
i need help choosing the best bang for my buck....whats the best fixed blade survival knife max 10" overall under $120 and not chinese....im going to use this for every day carry.

#36 ·
It cracks me up that the knife has such mystique and people invest so heavily in them. Knives that lasted for decades (generations) were made by hand without modern science, for most of human history. If they broke, it sucked, but people made do. The knife is not the "skill" and the skill will get your through. People lived long (LONG) before iron and still blades were common. I've seen people in developing countries use blades made from old car parts, tin cans, etc. They seem to survive, and they seem to be trusting their life on those blades, too . . . for the money, get a Mora.

#43 ·
Shankfisher, I agree with you for the most part, say 99% ... at least with the premise that we overdo it when it comes to always having to have the latest and the greatest of everything. I think I pretty much stated that in my previous post. I especially agree with, and I absolutely think it does apply in this specific instance, that the whole iPhone mentality is out of control in all aspects of our lives .... but it is mostly driven by the demands of our children.

Here is where I disagree with you.

You cannot always have the exactly perfect tool for the job - especially where weight and space are concerned ... and there could be other mitigating factors - the good survivalist has to think it terms of "best all around" in order to cover as many aspects of his potential survival situation(s) as possible. And once that is determined, then one must invest in whatever "best all around" tool that is available, if one wishes to do so, based upon his/her financial ability.

Sure, when it comes to woodsmanship it would be great to always have a big double-bit Gränsfors Bruks and a stone to do the splitting. Or it would be fantastic to have an etool in your ruck to do the digging. And wouldn't everyone love to have a good machete on your back to do the clearing and smaller chopping, or a good Battle Mistress or kukri/gurkha to do whatever it is that people aspire to do with those, or a small hatchet to do the stake driving, hammering and branching .... but in survival situations you can only have one.

The only reason I stress the point is because of your opening sentence in the previous post, which you gotta admit was just a little bit patronizing friend ...

It cracks me up that the knife has such mystique and people invest so heavily in them. ... The knife is not the "skill" and the skill will get your through. People lived long (LONG) before iron and still (steel) blades were common . . . for the money, get a Mora.
It may crack you up, but in a survival situation it is no laughing matter. And I agree there are those that tout their ability to take flint and knap a knife out in a matter of minutes. And I am sure there are plenty of MacGyvers out there that can take a car door and fashion a knife from it that will do them just fine after they find themselves lost in the Rockies during an elk hunt ... but why should they have to do all of that when, in fact, they could choose that one knife, that one tool, that would be best suited to cover as many bases as possible. And I do not see the humor in that shankfisher.

Sure, the M4 is not the best rifle in the mountains but neither is the Garand the best rifle in the cities. My M1a sucks on horseback but my flat little lightweight Marlin 1894P in 44 mag fits so well in its scabbard under my leg that I hardly even notice it is there. And I've never been dove hunting with a 10/22. Could I roll up all the firearms listed here and lash them over Heisman's backside for a long ride? Sure I could .... but because of weight and space concerns I have to narrow it down to just one firearm tool, when I take off on horseback ... just one.

Choosing the proper blade is every-bit as important as choosing the proper firearm imho.

Sure, I'm a professional historian. I teach college-level American History for a living. Which means that I look at this issue from a different point of view than most. Bear with me while I prattle on, okay?

.... it's clearly obvious that any knife made before the current cryogenic steels and special alloys was in fact fully functional for survival purposes. What's not clear is why abusing a tool until it breaks is better than using the correct tool for the job in the first place? You get what I'm, saying? Just because a knife can be used (in extreme situations) to baton a stick of wood does not mean that is the correct approach to the problem. The better approach is a hatchet, which most any woodsman carried for that particular task.

Now, I understand that a pilot's survival knife is a good idea, .... even if the better tool is a different tool.

But look, I'm preaching to the choir here. You guys know what I'm saying, which is simply that it's better to match tool to job, than make do. The best kit is one in which all your tasks are enhanced by using the right tools .... which given the expense of some tools, may very well be one that is significantly cheaper than the most advanced around. Use the "saved" cash to invest in other tools that will significantly increase your survival threshold.
It all goes back to weight and space and the specifics of what we talk about here.

G.I.s have resupply. Survivalists do not. G.I.'s train 24/7 to jump and hump, or at least hump in most cases, heavy rucks full of gear ... most of us do not. G.I.s usually have motorized support of one type or another, survivalists usually think in terms of being in situations where no motorized vehicle might reach.

And here is the real kicker for me shank ... and I want to make it clear that I concede to you, your superiority to me in terms of historical record and interpretation of its meaning - as a matter of fact my second oldest daughter is at the College of Charleston right now enrolling for her Masters and she constantly reminds me that, already, she is the master and I am the student when it comes to world history. But my point is, as a bit of a historian myself, when it comes to tools of battle, tools of survival, ... why do you suppose that there are so few implements, edged tools of the trade, remaining in our archival history compared to those of firearms during the same periods of time?

I've been to war museums, and other museums, all over the world from Switzerland to Germany (Berlin) to Italy, (Florence, Rome and Bergamo specifically.), to Israel. I've been to blade auctions in NYC and London. Heck, I went to the British Museum in London so many times with my first wife that it drove her crazy - I would always head straight to the ancient farm tools ... they just fascinated me.

The question always rises .... why are there so many more firearms to be found from the last few hundred years and beyond, than there are edged tools/weapons?

Did you see my thread, "My Ancient Find," by chance? This is the stuff that I eat and sleep ... yet the same old question always arrises; Why are there so few modern edged tools or weapons in our archeological record as compared to firearms of the same periods? Now, I know you are not an archeologist, but still, using your expertise, would you have an idea why?

My whole point is that it is not a laughable matter, choosing a good knife. It has nothing to do with money because you get what you can afford to get and you get the best that you can afford in most cases, within reason. Now I agree, why buy a $40,000.00 watch when a $2,000.00 watch will do you just fine and probably keep better time. That's a whole keeping up with the Jones issue there and that's pathological in today's society. But if you try to convince me that a good Mora is, as practical and frugal as they are .... if you try to convince me that they are the equivalent of a good modern, well built ESEE-3 or an Entrek USA 11 Bravo or any number of other moderately priced modern blades of their kind out there today ... the Moras are no match. And yes, you may be able to buy three or four Moras for the price of one of these but I ask you, would you rather have four Yugos or one F-150? Because you could buy four Yugos for the price of one F-150 in the day of the Yugo, remember the commercial? But guess which one is still around? You'd be hard pressed to find one running Yugo these days ...

Moras are good knives .... not great, but very good. But if you break one in the woods when you need it the most you cannot simply reach in a drawer and grab another one. That's why, to answer your question, the one that cracked you up and made you laugh ....

It cracks me up that the knife has such mystique and people invest so heavily in them.
... that's why the knife has such a mystique and people invest so heavily in them. Because moreso than anything else in the evolution of human beings, it has been steel that has allowed us to progress as we have. It is in our genetic makeup. And until the past 100 years or so it has been a fleeting thing because even our most beloved of steel edged weapons have broken or rusted away. Modern metallurgy gives us other options ... and until they finally make a light saber, I suspect people like us will continue to search for that mystic perfect blade made from that perfect steel. At least I know I will .... it has to do as much with it being a practical heirloom item as anything I suppose. We have ALWAYS, as human beings, kept our steel in high regard ... there is so much historical record of that fact.

Does that, in any way, help to remove some of the mystique and make it less of a laughing matter to you?

bobbydeadup asked:

i need help choosing the best bang for my buck....whats the best fixed blade survival knife max 10" overall under $120 and not chinese....im going to use this for every day carry.
... and we were all simply attempting to answer his question as honestly and forthrightly as possible. His question, btw, is rather ambiguous and not easily answered because of its enigmatic nature. Most people refer to blade length, not overall length. Most people would not choose a 10" overall length fixed blade knife for every day carry. He stated "best bang for his buck" yet offers to spend $120.00. And most confusing of all was his subject line, "Best fixed blade survival knife for the $," ... when once you read the post it reads as if he is more concerned with simply having a good utility knife on his belt for the most part.

He made no mention of what he might be using the knife for, if he is near salt water, if he is going to utilize it as a hunting knife or skinner or fishing knife or whittling or whatever. He makes no mention of his skill level. All important things imho.

For him, you are probably correct, a Mora would be just fine ... he'll never need anything else. But for the rest of us who have some skill and spend time in the woods, there are far better choices than the Mora IF you have the financial means to do so.

#37 ·
Shankfisher ... your point is valid to a degree because these days the whole knife thing has gone somewhat overboard, like everything else. But at the same time people used to hunt with muskets too, and they used to walk everywhere too, or ride in buckboards, and they used to die in their fifties too and feel like they had lived a long life, and they used to have to mix rum with water to make grog and kill the germs too ..... I'm sure you're getting my point here?

Sure, old knives still work and they used to break and people had to make out ... but there are modern steels and modern technologies and modern knife designs that, if we took them back to the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries people would like to have, I'm sure.

My absolute favorite knife, the one I always carry when I am in the woods, is my Grandpappy's 1957 Western made in Boulder, CO. It's all stained-up, the tie down strap finally came apart and I had to replace it with a strip of green velcro. The sheath is showing some serious signs of wear and tear .... but it is always on my belt when I am hunting or fishing and it has cleaned so much game and so many fish over the decades I am sure it would boggle the mind. It stays razor sharp, I can literally shave with it and it is easy to hone on just about anything out in the field. But would I give up some of my better knives? Probably not, just because of the sentimental value .... but I have some better, more modern knives that do things that this old Western cannot do.

If my Grandpappy were still alive, and if he had the money, I can guarantee you he would like to own one of the new designs because, when he invested in that $12.00 Western above, it was the whoop of all around knives to own out there at the time and $12.00 was a lot of money to him back then ... about a quarter of a week's pay. So if we invest in a $200.00 $300.00 knife these days, there is really not a lot of difference if you stop to think about it. I know because he told me the story many many many times ... he made $80.00 a week in 1957 working at Firestone Tire and Rubber.

Reactions: Hop-n-Pop
#39 ·
But at the same time people used to hunt with muskets too, and they used to walk everywhere too, or ride in buckboards, and they used to die in their fifties too and feel like they had lived a long life, and they used to have to mix rum with water to make grog and kill the germs too ..... I'm sure you're getting my point here?
Sure, I'm a professional historian. I teach college-level American History for a living. Which means that I look at this issue from a different point of view than most. Bear with me while I prattle on, okay?

One of the most pervasive "problems" in American history is the link between the passage of time and the advance of technology in American history. The problem, simply, is that Americans watched time, the frontier (manifest destiny) and technology all move in the same direction -- we simply call this "progress." This became built into consumer products circa 1900 so that all new gizmos were "new and improved," "advanced," etc. We Americans tend to think, as a matter of our social/cultural training, that new is better. The 32GB iPhone is better than the 16GB iPhone, the 2010 model of car better than the 2009, etc. That thinking matches the American experience, where the nation has grown in power and success over time. That's just the way we think about, well, everything.

Fact is, is we disconnect the above thinking from our view, it's clearly obvious that any knife made before the current cryogenic steels and special alloys was in fact fully functional for survival purposes. What's not clear is why abusing a tool until it breaks is better than using the correct tool for the job in the first place? You get what I'm, saying? Just because a knife can be used (in extreme situations) to baton a stick of wood does not mean that is the correct approach to the problem. The better approach is a hatchet, which most any woodsman carried for that particular task.

Now, I understand that a pilot's survival knife is a good idea, and the tougher the better. And I understand the power and majesty of modern steels and their ability to be fully and completely utilized to make tools which are so over-engineered that they can perform these extreme tasks, even if the better tool is a different tool.

The US Army is experiencing this sort of epiphany now, finding out the hard way the overburdened men carrying short range carbines are at a disadvantage in mountainous terrain when fighting lightly equipped men carrying "real" rifles. American "progress" really wasn't, and it confuses the heck out of us when that happens. Typical American response is to find an "advanced" weapon than can be used in mountain and urban terrain and be the "best" at both.

But look, I'm preaching to the choir here. You guys know what I'm saying, which is simply that it's better to match tool to job, than make do. The best kit is one in which all your tasks are enhanced by using the right tools. You can get by with marginal equipment, and may be required to and may God smile on your for having the foresight to practice skills for just such an event, but the best idea is to really plan by using the best tool for the job -- which given the expense of some tools, may very well be one that is significantly cheaper than the most advanced around. Use the "saved" cash to invest in other tools that will significantly increase your survival threshold.

#38 ·
FWIW I'll tell you about my EDC knife.

It's a Gerber Profile. Yep, 18 bux at Wally World. Fixed blade, and maybe 7 1/2" overall.

First thing I did was remove the crappy rubber handle peices, and since it's a full tang, got to wrapping with paracord. I have a nice wrapped handle with about 6' of cord.

I then went to a local leather supply store, got some discount leather and fashioned my own sheath. It rides high on my belt, the handle well above my beltline, bottom of the sheath about level with the top of my back pocket and pressed right up against my body. Wear my t-shirt untucked and the thing is invisible. OBTW my Florida CWP allows me to conceal-carry a knife too!

It's everthing I need it to be, and nothing I don't. Cheap, replaceable, descreet, tough and no moving parts.

#40 ·
Mora are great knives for the money. They can do about anything and will sharpen easily, which is very important in a survival situation.... The fall back is they rust easy unless you give them attention.

If you're looking cheap to beat the hell out of a knife and a great starter knife for the money... Cold Steel Bushman. Nice carbon knife with loads of uses. AND it's dirt cheap so you can go nuts with it without fear of ruining a good high priced knife.

Remember, price doesn't equal quality.... Many name brand knives are WAY over priced and are difficult as hell to re-sharpen unless you're a pro.

#51 ·
I love blades. I can't seem to be satisfied with only one. As Gallo pointed out, there's just no way for a single tool to cover universal function....multi-function, yes, but not universal.

However, the short answer regarding the best survival knife for the money is the one that's with you when you need it and not packed away at home.

But why on earth would a person choose to use a knife for everything in the first place? Pick a decent knife and a Cold Steel Pipe Hawk....you can get them both for $120. Keep your knife sharp and use it for flesh only.

There isn't a knife on the market that I can't break. Don't believe me? Send me your best. I'll send it back in pieces. That's always been a bad argument.

The hawk is the work horse and the knife is surgical. There's no worrying about breaking either at that point and sharpening isn't as much of a problem.

The subject is with regard to survival, right? Or do we automatically get to choose when and under what conditions we survive? If so, I'd like to sign up for that.....

How many posting here make routine outings in zero or below? Ever tried to make it without a hawk? You'll freeze. Well, first you'll burn up your energy reserves....then you'll freeze. The animals will eat your packaged food, then gnaw on your frozen carcass through the winter.

It's truly romantic to wonder, "If it could be only one.....what would it be?" But me thinks such a notion is Ramboesque at best.

I'm a firm believer in "two is one, one is none".

When only one is your only hope......the odds are not good. Don't agree? Go winter camping.....with a single match.....or a single lighter....shirt happens...and Mommy Dearest is a Biatch.

#52 ·
Best to keep it simple, for under $120 I recomend a Fairbairn-Sykes commando knife if its just for defense purposes as its the better fighting knife design. If you want something for defense and using as a cutting tool go with KA-bar. Both designs have tried and true excellent track records in ww2 so you can't go wrong there. You should also have a pocket knife so you don't wear your good fixed blade knife out on daily chores.

#53 ·
The only knife I can think of that covers all the OPs criterea would be the Gerber LMF II. At least thats the only one that covers that I have experience with. Its about ten inches long (maybe a hair over) Made in the USA, solid, dependable and Gerber stands by there products. And it can be had for about seventy bucks.
If you want to up your lenght a bit, a Ka-bar is a great knife. Rugged and made in the USA for under 120 easy.
Up the length and/or be OK with China, Cold Steel SRK is longer that ten inches and made in China I believe but it is a great knife. The SOG Seal Pup Elite is a great knife for its size (about ten inches) but its made in China.
If you want to up the size, up the price a bit, and go with China, Cold steel Gurkha Kukri. Its a big knife that works well as a knife, machete, hatchet, hammer, splitting wedge and you can even dig with it. Can be had for under 150 if you look around. I would recomend a good folder as a companion for more delicate work though.
But, like I said, falling into ALL of your criterea, Gerber LMFII.
Peace
John

#54 ·
You should head over Blade Forums (BF) and have a look around Knife Makers Discussion forums and here http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=692, it's the survival section that is a sub forum. There are a lot of great custom makers with their own sub forums.

Knives are a P.I.T.A. unless you have $$$ to throw around. The best advice I can give you is, don't focus on price, focus on comfort. It doesn't matter how good a knife is, if it's uncomfortable (in hand or on belt) it isn't a good knife (for you). Take your time, handle as many different knives as you can, then decide. If your chosen blade is out of your posted price range, try and find a custom maker that can do something similar or just keep saving until you have enough.

#56 ·
I think the Mora knives are a good deal for the money. Personally I purchased a Buck NightHawk which I love - heavy, great edge, lifetime warranty and best of all, made in USA.

Good luck!

#64 ·
Hop n pop

You might look at the video here. If this guy isn't tougher than you on a knife, you'd be happy with a Scrapyard model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqzCFQ0lF50&NR=1
Guys like him are the reason I NEVER lend out a knife...:D:..but it's awesome to see actual stress testing on a blade......sad, but awesome. It does aid in confidence building with regard to the tools one carries. :cool:

As much as I dislike imports, I've seen some awesome tests done with Cold Steel products and a vice. BUT.....any knife can break under the right conditions.

That being said, worrying about knife breakage in the field is along the same lines as worrying which vehicle can be immobilized. The idea is to take as much care of one's possessions as they can......and have a plan B.

Or, one can dig with the barrel of their rifle.....I mean, why bother with a shovel. For that matter, stick a bayonet through your snared rabbit and cook it over the fire attached to the rifle for a "makeshift spit".

The ultimate universal tool..........a rifle. Walking stick, oar, shovel, sledge hammer, prybar, fire poker.....you name it....Hell, the bolt of my M-14 would make a great vice to hold acorns so I could crack them open with a rock.....and I could use the peep sight to scrape the meat out of the shell......:thumb:

IMO, beating on a knife in the wild doesn't make a person "tough" or knowledgable. The effort should be in learning skills/proper supply/not getting to a situation where one HAS to beat the hell out of a knife, their rifle or anything else using it for a purpose for which it was not designed. Of course, that might take a little planning.....preparation.....attention to detail.....

I'm all for "crash testing" and knowing limitations of a product.....but I'm not all for continually pushing that product, once purchased, to the limit.

As previously stated, I can break anything.

Want sharp and cheap? An old Air Force survival knife is one of many knives that I own. I have some very expensive, quality knives. Yet, it's as sharp as any and sharper than many. It holds its edge fantastic. Kabars are the same. If I had no choice, I wouldn't think twice about having them with me.

But having a choice, there are other criteria I want in a knife.

Blade length; 7"-8" optimum/ 10" max. Thickness; 1/4" minimum Handle; Finger grooves or Paracord wrapped. Must have lanyard. Single edge. Razor sharp. Slight curve to aid slice. No serrations. Full size full tang. Absolute tip centered for max penetration.

Guaranteed if I am out in it, I'll have several blades on me. The absolute minimum is 3. Folder, fixed and a hawk.

#63 ·
I would recommend the ESEE 4. It's one of the best knives in your price range, and will hold up the anything you throw at it. ESEE has the best warranty in the business. You break the knife, they replace it free. No questions asked. Get the one without the serrations though. If you keep your knife sharp, you'll never need them. They only get in the way.

If you don't mind spending a little more money, and want an amazing knife that's a little thicker, comes with a convex grind, and a more egronomic handle, then get the Bark River Bravo-1. For the money, nothing beats this knife. You can also get it in a variety of handle colors. I just ordered one today in Midnite Tiger G-10.

#66 ·
Two ways to go...

1, you could get a couple of these... For the money ($20 each at gunshows) you get a solid chunk of steel... takes and holds an edge, can be used as a wire cutter, can opener, I even chopped a bit of wood with it last time I went camping... Works like a charm...

2, If you wanted one knife, I would look in to JK handmade... he does these at home and there is a bit of a lead time but the product is outstanding... You can even get a 3/16" stock and let me tell you, its thick and strong. I would be very surprised if you managed to bust it up...

The hiker
http://www.jkhandmadeknives.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=63376629
The Phoenix
http://www.jkhandmadeknives.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=73807583

V.

#71 ·
From past experience and ownership of several Fixed Blade Buck Knives they are the best knife for the money. They feel good in your hand and have superior blade retension, and seem to last forever. Here is a blog I wrote http://huntingoutdoors.org/2010/07/24/hunting-knives-fixed-blade-buck-knife on fixed blade Buck knives and some good information you need to know before making your buying decision.

Buck- 119BRSB Special Fixed Blade hunting Knife Cocobola w/ Leather Sheath, Buck's most popular fixed-blade hunting knife. Polished aluminum butt and guard. Beautifully balanced and a great outdoor knife. Sheath included.

* Weight: 10.5 oz.
* Handle Material: Cocobola
* Blade Steel: 420HC
* Length Overall: 10 1/2"
* Blade Length: 6"
* Sheath included

#73 ·
People will make fun of these knife tests and tell you a person that knows how to use a knife would never do such things or that you don't need a knife that big. Most knives will cut but i want a knife to do a lot more if i have an emergency. Some of the knives stated so far i would not trust to chop and do other chores. Watch and learn and don't sell out some of the chineese knives. Sorry if my spelling and typing sucks. I do pack more than one knife.

http://www.knifetests.com/

http://www.knifetests.com/KnifeTestsPage2.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.