Survivalist Forum banner

Fixed Blade Knife

17K views 54 replies 34 participants last post by  hedley 
#1 ·
I am looking for a good survival fixed blade knife. Came up with two choices but can't decide which one to go with. I have several good pocket knives and a Glock Survival knife but I want something more solid, do-it-all ( okay, most-of-it) kinda knife.

Which one would you choose and why if given a choice between

Buck 0119BKS

and Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion

#2 ·
Try here mate http://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

My 2cps worth for what its worth, knives are a very personal piece of kit. Although I understand wanting the opinions of others before commiting to buy especially if your on a budget like me, opinions do vary and you may not be happy if you base your purchase based solely on someone elses experience and preference.

If you can look and handle in a shop or gunshow or whatever before hand it may give you a better idea.

#4 ·
The Becker, hands down. It'll be much tougher than the Buck 119. Not saying that the 119 isnt a great knife, it is. But 1095 carbon steel (as on the Becker) was just about made for tough outdoor chores, and the 420hc of the Buck is a bit on the fragile side when it comes to using the knife as a prying tool, batoning tool, and extremely heavy use. The Buck, as I mentioned in a previous post on a different thread, is a little brittle, especially at the tip area. Its a very sharp, good looking knife with great corrosion resistance, but it isnt as tough as a knife made from carbon steel.

Me, I'd take the Buck, just because Im kinda lazy and like the ease of sharpening you get with 420HC.

But I think real outdoorsmen use carbon steel :)

#5 ·
fixed blade - I've had generic kabar/buck with the leather-ring grips, about 25 years ago and by now they are still around, but they've been abused and even heated with my learning how to sharpen on them... make them more nostalgic items :)

i have a sog seal pup (the smaller one) and it feels good...

wish the grip was grippier...

i'm happy with my Gerber LMF:

the "make me into a spear" lashing points look like a welcome addition. the survival model seems to have a bit of tang/grip shock resistance (in more than one way), so not needing all black (not a ninja) i'd go with that one if my budget fit it. check it out: http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/63

i my first Gerber in 20 years was: "Gerber Prodigy Combat 4.8"

which has the same functional sheath (double snaps for when you want to be doubly sure it doesn't move) yet the plastic/rubber retention function means you can run it without the handle-velcro for easier access. Even this one makes my SOG feel like a toy, and it led me to the LMF... think of it as a poor man's version of the LMF above, for 33% less money, it's on my wife's kit now.

there are a lot of esoteric/custom fixed blade knives, and i'm glad don't covet them... I did break down and bought a hinderer for a folder, makes *all* of my other folders (spyderco, benchmad, buck) seem cheap and flimsy, torque wise. if you are looking for a folder that is built like a tank that will make you stare at it... http://www.rickhindererknives.com/knives/xm-18/index.htm

good luck!

Reactions: Flex
#16 ·
fixed blade - I've had generic kabar/buck with the leather-ring grips, about 25 years ago
Few things beat a USMC type kabar for general use/abuse.
Others are similar that are out there, but none I know of have that handle or butt cap.

The upturns on the top of that blade are for easier extraction if something has to be stabbed. Interesting trivia for ya, but that upper design was realized on pig farm in okinawa while they were designing a knife for SOG (the real SOG, not the faux sog manufacturing/marketing company).

My Sig has one of these for camping/fishing and she loves it. She cleans fish w/it on the bank, etc. and last weekend she even reached under a rock and speared a fish that a muskrat had stolen from us.

Edit:
this one
http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=itempage&xid=848

#6 ·
I am looking for a good survival fixed blade knife. Came up with two choices but can't decide which one to go with. I have several good pocket knives and a Glock Survival knife but I want something more solid, do-it-all ( okay, most-of-it) kinda knife.

Which one would you choose and why if given a choice between

Buck 0119BKS

Amazon.com: Buck 0119BKS-B Special Fixed Blade Knife: Sports & Outdoors

and Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion

Amazon.com: Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife: Sports & Outdoors
I have to agree with what smudge said, their really isn’t one perfect knife for everyone.

Not too long ago I was in your position, I chose the becker over the buck. The reason I chose it was durability. I wanted a knife that would last a life time of me beating it to death. I don’t know how big you are, but if you have not handled the becker I would before you buy it. The knife weights 1 pound. Some people have issues with a knife that weights that much in their hand and on their side.

I personally love my becker, but I do plan on getting a buck simple because I want a good quality stainless steel blade. If you can afford both I buy them both, if not then I would try and get my hands on both blades and see how they feel in your hand.

#9 ·
have you thought about getting a Puuko knife like the kind woodsknife , kellham knives or mora knives makes?

Leuku Handle: 5 1/4" Stained Curly Birch & Reindeer Antler
Blade: length 5 5/8", width 1 1/16" High Carbon Steel ( 0.8%, 59 on Rockwell )
Puukko Handle: 4 1/2" Curly Birch & Reindeer Antler
Blade: 3 3/8", width 11/16" High Carbon Steel ( 0.8%, 59 on Rockwell )

this is one of kellhams knife lines

Reactions: Flex
#10 ·
I have never used a Becker but I like the look of it. I have owned a few Buck knives and have had some bad luck with them. I shattered the cutting edge on one going through the pelvis on a deer and broke one cleaning a fish of all things. The warranty is good. Both were replaced without question. I have sharpened several for people and I don't like the way they sharpen. I think they over harden their steel.

#13 ·
Carbon Steel Versus Stainless Steel?? Unless You Plan On Getting It Wet And Leaving It In It's Sheath To Die Of Rust, Carbon Steel Is Tougher And More Durable Than Stainless Holds A Better Edge That Most And If You Do Want To Blacken The Blade You Can With Either Cold Blue Compound Or Just Stick It In A Potato And Let It Sit For About 12 Hours And The Starch Will Stain The Carbon Steel. So The BK Would Be My Choice (The Buck Is A Good Knife But Not A Durable)

#17 ·
I personally prefer the Gerber Prodigy for my fixed blade knife. You can pick one up for $45 on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Gerber 22-41121 Prodigy Survival Combat Knife: Home Improvement

Some people really hate the serrations on the blade though, but to each their own.

If I were picking between just the two you posted I would go with the Ka-Bar. That long pojt on the Buck looks like it will break off in 3 days of rugged use.

#18 ·
Only real advice I'd offer is to avoid the serrated edge. I prefer the smooth edge on a knife. I also carry a small saw for when I need one.
I have a few of the Buck 119s and some other "survival" or "military" knives, some are GI even. I've never had any trouble with any of them.
The Buck does seem to be more brittle than carbon steel knives, but if you don't use it for a pry bar they'l last for many years. If you don't like the smooth plastic grip, they are easy to replace with wood, bone or antler. And if you do break it, the warranty is great and their service is excellent.
Other makers have good warranties and service, too, though.
Get what you want and be happy with it. don't fall into the trap of thinking you need the "newest", "latest", or even worse the "best" knife. Get what you want to do what you want and enjoy it.

#19 ·
I use the CRKT A.B.C operator’s knife. I like it because its durable, has one side straight edge, reasonably light and the back seriated. It also has holes in the handle JIC you need to make a spear. I got 550 cord intertwined with my handle. It also comes with a good sheath with 2 clips. I got it off of ebay for under $50. Here’s the link to it: http://www.crkt.com/Hammond-ABC-Operators-Model-Tanto-Blade-Razor-Sharp-Edge

#20 ·
I have a Camillus Becker BK2, and it's on eBay right now. I had it for years, and I never used it. A new interest in bushcraft came up, and I started using it for real.

Since I started doing some bushcraft away from my laptop, I immediately realized this thing is too big and too heavy FOR ME. I started searching for a lighter fixed blade, and decided on a $15 Mora. Mine weighs 3.5 oz. (with the crappy sheath).

Check the YouTube videos of "Mora Destruction Test".

HTH

#21 ·
wow you guys have some seriously small toothpick sized knives up in here, in my best austrailian accent i say "you call that a knife" as I link you to my latest purchace, an 18" hand made damascus steel tonto based bush knife:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150443633168&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i allmost bought this one but it was too big (did i say that lol) and I did not like the so called saw teeth along the top of the blade:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-24-L-CUSTO...tem&pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item23075d9abd

#23 ·
i allready have dozens of small knives, what i was after was actually winning a knife fight by drawing a short sword like crockadile dundee in the subway. This goes in my bug out bag in case i have to walk home and someone says hey you give me all your stuff, my reply to that would be to draw the short sword and ask excuse me?:D:

#31 ·
I have a personal slant towards the kukri builds + small knife combos.

http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Ghurka/Khukri Modification.htm

Long time ago I read through his build and realized that in my climate (Northern CA) a heavy+compact chopping knife along with a functional small blade is a great combination.

You can replace the kukri with a nice axe of course, it is just another option for you to think about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.