Survivalist Forum banner
6K views 32 replies 29 participants last post by  resq854 
#1 ·
Ok i know im not gunna make any friends explaining this but thats not why im here im here to learn and teach. I encourage anyone with what they say is a finished bob to walk 5 miles into woods and live for a month. Seems alittle uneccisary but it will open up your eyes. As i sit in my house right now i dont have to leave for 6 months at least and thats not including if i fish hunt and garden. There are people alot more prepared than me no big deal im workin on it. You cant just pack a bag and think your ready for anything. It is impossible to pack 6 months of supplies into a bag and get away where you wont be bothered. If tshtf theres gonna be 3 million unprepared people heading for the woods and 3 million will most likely die in the first month. And im ok with that natural diasasters are population control as will be anything that happens. ONLY the strong survive thats natural selection its been around since the beginning of time.

#5 ·
A BOB is not about long-term survival. It's about getting you out of harms way in a hurry. Just because someone lives in a cabin 500 miles from civilization won't help if the forest is burning around them. There is always a situation to prepare for, but start with the most likely. IMO, the most likely situation will either start local or stay local in nature. If that is the case, you and your BOB can relocate to a location better suited to your long term ability to draw oxygen.

#7 · (Edited)
Yup. A BOB is only for, well, Buggin' Out. It's purpose is intended to get you out of the area of disater/hostility for a short period of time or if needed to stay put (natural disater scenario) and have at least a leg up on a situation and get your bearings and be able to assess the problem, come up with a viable solution and then get to your next PVC/Ammo Box Cache, BOL, Home or other designated place.

I made a couple of bags, one for each vehicle to include:

knives; k-bar & smaller utility type
multi tool
3 heavy trash bags, folded
2 sterno cans
6 packs ramien noodles
2 fruit cups
fruit roll ups
2 rice crispy treats
Eton 150 solar/dynamo am/fm/weather radio/flashlight
swiss army sleeping bag liner http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP145-1.html
3 small cans ravioli
small first aid kit (large is in BOV and one in house)
2 bungee cords
1 6x8 tarp
swiss army cook kit with alco stove
2 esbit stoves
firestrike
2 bic lighters
para cord
1 roll elect tape
1 magazine .40
1 magazine 9mm
1 enbloc 30-06
1 speed loader .357
1 pair heavy socks
2 toothbrush w travel size paste
1 quart USGI collapsable canteen
Cash
copies of all important documets (birth/marriage/CCW/DL's) in waterproof ziplock
compass
small binocs

All this has fitted into one of these:http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TRW138-1.html and is surprising not too heavy and if you can't hump this approx 5 miles than lay off the donughts and hit the gym.

#13 ·
A lot of people think the BOB conception is all they need to get through a disaster. While this may be the case in certain scenarios it is not in the most.

A BOB is full of supplies to temporarily get you by for a few days until you reach a safer place or find help.

Many people think a loaded BOB is all they need to take with them when disaster hits and they hit the woods to live out their fantasy as a woodsman or mountain man. Most of these people will eat the 12 MRE's they have then slowly starve or die from the elements when their fire starting supplies are gone.

Many think their plan of going into the woods is unique. Let me tell you it is not unique and the woodlands of America are small compared to the population. If you think high tailing it to the woods means getting away from people think twice. If our country keeps sliding off the cliff and more and more Rambos start to think the woods are a safe haven you won't be able to go a few hundred feet without running into another Bug out Bagger.

One thing for certain though. Into a long disaster the woods will be prime locations to find Bug out bags along with the corpse of it's owner.

-Cade

#19 ·
I do aim to be that woodsman since taking chances in a city environment seems more dangerous due to the amount of people and little food (food does not grow in cities). If our firestarting devices run out, out did not pack enough or the situation is so bad, nobody may survive. A six month bug-out into the woods should be do-able.....10 years???? then we have other problems.:)

#15 · (Edited)
My BOB is more of a GMBB--a Get Me By Bag. It has the same things in it that I use to when I go into the field on a stalk hunt. If I needed to evacuate with little notice, I grab that, my personal hygene bag, fire safe and gun of choice. All of which I can have in hand and be out the door in less than three minutes if need be.

If it is an evacuation with notice, most of use can pack and bring a bit more.

Most of your survival "skills" should be in your head. The bag just contains tools to get the job done.

#16 ·
I have a 1 month BoB and have used it quite successfully.

But you must have the proper gear. Your alice pack probably wont work (way to heavy, and not enough space). Ditch your dome tent for a good tarp. And you cant expect to bring 1000 rounds of ammo... if you have to shoot more than once to kill your prey, youd be better off at a FEMA shelter anyway.

Ultralight backpacking is a very useful concept that people here dont seem interested in. Redundancy is bad. Light weight is good.

#17 ·
i can see a bob for some people depending on where they live ,natural disasters ect,mostly city people in larger towns and urban areas ,dont need it here as much it would not be a bag im carrying if i had to leave, stuff in boxes would be thrown in a vehical and leave if i had to.i havestuff put away in a couple of places for quicker loading where everything is kept together if needed.

#18 ·
Some Required Items

My BOB is to help me get by and survive any situation and I have several items that might be needed.
This bag is also made to be portable and worn on my back, and you could not do that with EVERYTHING that you might have in the house.
I would prefer to stay home (just like in Katrina), where I have much more than just that one bag, but the bag has its place and will help in any sort of evacuation.

The BOB is just one small part of being prepared for the worst, but it is VERY important to have.

If I was to leave my home and was able to take my truck and /or four wheeler, then I would be able to take alot more gear that would be needed.

#26 ·
The woods. Yea yea, the woods.

I am sure that I am not the only one here that is fortunate to already be "in place". Brother let me tell ya, If every clueless Rambo wannabe, shows up in the woods, there will be some hard times.
I have spent many a day in the past 15 years in the middle of the woods. Many go buy when I see nothing larger than a small bird. Talk about hungry...
We all have an idea of what should go into a BOB. One thing I have not noticed is anybody talking about "Seasonal or Situational Compartmentalizing". I.E. Bag in a bag. There are things I do not need in the middle of summer, and sure as hell do in winter. We have our bags set up this way:
The basics bag...The winter add on...The road trip add on...The urban survival add on. Each is in it's own container (a lightweight nylon ruck sack). These are kept in a large rubber maid container next to the main pack, in the "contingency closet"... A small area dedicated to G.O.O.D stuff. So gotta go now...Grab the whole shooting match. Got a little time...grab what you need.

#27 ·
I am sure that I am not the only one here that is fortunate to already be "in place". Brother let me tell ya, If every clueless Rambo wannabe, shows up in the woods, there will be some hard times.
I have spent many a day in the past 15 years in the middle of the woods. Many go buy when I see nothing larger than a small bird. Talk about hungry...
We all have an idea of what should go into a BOB. One thing I have not noticed is anybody talking about "Seasonal or Situational Compartmentalizing". I.E. Bag in a bag. There are things I do not need in the middle of summer, and sure as hell do in winter. We have our bags set up this way:
The basics bag...The winter add on...The road trip add on...The urban survival add on. Each is in it's own container (a lightweight nylon ruck sack). These are kept in a large rubber maid container next to the main pack, in the "contingency closet"... A small area dedicated to G.O.O.D stuff. So gotta go now...Grab the whole shooting match. Got a little time...grab what you need.

+1 best food getting device we can take with us is a fishing pole :thumb:
its been a while but we did talk about haveing a couple of duffle bags filled with summer and winter clothes,supplies, and extra ammo of corse

#28 ·
Glad to know some most of your agree. Thats not what i expected from some things iv read. The idea of everyone and there brother bugging out worrys me. Im sorta in place not perfect but better than most. The woods will be packed i take my 2 hunting dogs in the woods almost every day and seldom do they find a track and i dont see many woodland creatures worth eating. Thats y i prepare like i do im only 18 my parents think im crazy but i consider it common sense to be prepared. My parents have used my preps and still fail to make theyre own but thats ok they know in a real shtf situation they better get hunting. People know they should prepare but theyre are to many sheep to take action thats why people see us as crazy becuase they can comprehend whats been taking place in nature forever. Squirrel, chipmunks alot of animals store food. Its not a new idea.

#29 ·
From my experiences the view I take is that my BOB -is either my "get home to supplies" bag or my 72 hour- we gotta go NOW bag. I would say almost everyone else (including authorities) are not prepared to be on their own for more than a few days. This means that we need to be ready to withstand the first blast, both in terms of the situation, and also in terms of the human dynamic.
I do see and agree with some folks here- that the BOB should have items that can be used if the rest of the supplies runs out and you have to forage. (Ever find yourself without a can opener?)- that means if you can't make it to your source of supplies and have to hunt/forage/fish/scavenge- it's possible.

My brother was two blocks from the WTC- when the NYC blackout hit- he had a few days of food and water hidden under his desk with an inflatable mattress and flashlights. Despite the events of the previous months, he was the ONLY person who did this, and this was with educated persons around. He hunkered down until the rest of the people settled down, then went home- the BOB idea is not to be ready for Armaggedon- only to get past the first panic.

Imagine everyone else...

#30 ·
Ok i know im not gunna make any friends explaining this but thats not why im here im here to learn and teach. I encourage anyone with what they say is a finished bob to walk 5 miles into woods and live for a month. Seems alittle uneccisary but it will open up your eyes. As i sit in my house right now i dont have to leave for 6 months at least and thats not including if i fish hunt and garden. There are people alot more prepared than me no big deal im workin on it. You cant just pack a bag and think your ready for anything. It is impossible to pack 6 months of supplies into a bag and get away where you wont be bothered. If tshtf theres gonna be 3 million unprepared people heading for the woods and 3 million will most likely die in the first month. And im ok with that natural diasasters are population control as will be anything that happens. ONLY the strong survive thats natural selection its been around since the beginning of time.
As far as I've always known, a BOB is more or less supposed to be for quick emergencies or 72 (average) hours. It's not meant to be a be all end all survive for extended periods.

The way I have mine set up is if TSHTF, some sort of attack, natural disaster, etc. It's in the car, then I can hit the road, hopefully head to the BOL and I can survive very comfortably for 3 days. Or if I see that things are getting really bad, that I can extend it to a week with what I have in there. I'll just be eating less per meal.

I have something similar to a BOB with a lot more long term items. I just keep that in the garage on a shelf within quick access. It's more for "Hey, I've got an hour to get home, get the puppy grab the 'go' bag and a few more items there on the shelf.

BOB's are what you make them to be, but like I said, they're called 72 hour bags in a lot of circles for a reason.

#33 ·
I was one of the members who didn't fully understand a BOB. I admit it. For a whil, right after I "got into prepping" I had a BOB that had to weigh 90lbs. Oh, I could tote it, for a while. Just long enough to exhaust me and me easy pickings for any 93 year old lady walking by. Now, the wife and I DO have BOB's. Both of them are in our closet in the bedroom, easy to grab & go. Both vehicles have an additional box of "stuff". The idea is just to GET US HOME SAFELY. Bugging out is our last ditch option. We have a small pop up camper that either vehicle can pull, and it is pretty well supplied. I have property I own with my dad, as hunting property. That is not a destination in my mind. I don't think one family is going to be able to "bug out" and make a go of it this the Swiss Family Robinson. Our goal is to Bug In. I suppose that's like most of you on this forum. I can't understand the mentality of WANTING to run out to live ion the woods with a backpack and an AR15. I guess i'm not cool enough to get it. I want to stay in my home, where I can be fairly comfortable, with an alternate source of power, heat, plenty of food and water, and a few homebrewed adult beverages! I don't want to be almost defenseless living in a lean to, when I have my home. I know the layout. I have, for lack of a better term "feilds of fire". I have arms, ammo, available to me, and components to make more ammo, or repair my firearms at my home. I lack that supply chain in bugging out. Finally, I have a back up resource of friends and family who are within a short walk. i wouldn't have that leaving here.
Sorry for the long post, it's just a point of view from someone who has "woken up"
Take care & stay safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.