Survivalist Forum banner

30 Bodybuilding myths

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  The Dude1 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I have been lifting all my life and have made some of my best gains in the last year by lowering my weight and cranking up my reps to 20 or more. I do one bodypart per day about 12 sets with 30 sec. rest between sets. I know that this flies against popular muscle building logic, but as a former powerlifter I got tired of trying to lift heavy at 48. All I get for heavy lifting anymore is sore joints. I workout in my house, so don't need to impress anyone with what I can lift anymore. Some of the latest research actually shows that lighter weight and higher reps can build more muscle than we thought. I read Ironman magazine a lot, they do a lot of research regarding what works for us 40 year old guys, lol! Anyway just my 2 cents.

#4 ·
It's good to see some older guys that still lift, and a former power lifter that that! I do have gotten away from the heavy weights, even though I still love them, as another former power lifter and 55 year old, I still love to lift but the heavy stuff just takes to much out of me to do it often. Sometime I have to...really I do, yah know to show those young bucks they're not all that.

#8 ·
I'd say, 330 is nothing for anybody above 180 lbs.

I lifted at 220 for a number of years, gave up active competition about 10 years ago, I still do some but only once a year and that's only if I can keep my head right, which gets harder every year.

I don't juice never have, wanted to, but always talked myself out of it. I don't condemn those that do, I just get more personal satisfaction from beating (when I can, which is more often than not) those juicing being clean myself. I still benched 500 and squatted over 700, didn't deadlift worth a dang 650 was my best.

#9 ·
The best results Ive ever gotten were from Dante Trudels "DC Training" routine. Although I dont follow it religiously, I use it as a guideline and have customized it a bit. I do a few more sets than he does.

And yes, as you age, you have to change how you lift. I was getting burned out and couldnt stay in the gym, until finally it hit me - Im not 25 anymore.

I lift heavy for 6 weeks (depending on how I feel), then do 2 or 3 weeks of experimentation. I play with sets and reps, I try out new exercises and so on.

Ive been able to stay in the gym pretty consistently since switching to this rotation.

Im still making gains and have actually hit my dream weight of 260 while staying pretty lean. It definitely is harder to lift so heavy in my mid 40s. I sometimes get filled with anxiety before starting some sets where I lift heavy.

I keep saying Im going to back off on the heavier weights, but it still hasnt happened yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.