Making a Move - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To move or not to move, what a conundrum digger General Discussion 13 04-20-2016 01:10 AM
what do think? Good move? Bad move? manisonenmi Military Weapons Forum 17 11-14-2013 07:33 AM
9 Signs That China Is Making A Move Against The US Dollar Gulcher General Discussion 17 10-19-2013 02:28 PM
Thinking about a move...... how do I move firearms Goblin X Firearms General Discussion 20 09-08-2013 12:19 AM
Are we making the tectonic plates move? iwill Manmade and Natural Disasters 57 03-04-2013 06:06 PM
making candy-floss making machine ("idea") mzoltan14 DIY - Do It Yourself 0 12-26-2012 11:34 AM
Might be making the move out to Idaho! Rjb2232 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 11-02-2012 09:55 PM
TSA on the move... Fepony Political News and Discussion 5 12-24-2011 03:18 PM
HEADS UP: ATF making a move before new Congress convenes ..... Gallo Pazzesco Firearms General Discussion 31 01-03-2011 02:17 PM
EU making NWO move techo Controversial News and Alternative Politics 44 11-20-2008 10:06 AM

Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Victory Loves Preparation

Default Making a Move

Advertise Here

(Mod's if this is in the wrong section, please move)

Ok so after much discussion, the wife and I have decided to move west of the Mississippi. My oldest son and his soon to be wife have decide they would like to be a part of this. Our plan is to be ready to move to new location in 2 years. This will allow us to get credit cards paid off, house ready to sell and hopefully the housing market will rise by then.

My request is this to members of this site. Help!

If you have made this type of move, what did you use to determine where you moved too?

What resources did you find to help you make the decision? (also if you could reply with those links, that would be great)

What did you do right?

If you had to do it over again, what would you do different?

What were some of the unforeseen challenges you had to overcome?

If there are any threads here already about this, please feel free to post those.

Having been born and raised in the same state and lived here all my life, this is going to be a challenge for me to overcome on a persoanl level...

Thanks in advance for your help!!

F.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Prepared

You need to tell us more about yourselves and what you are looking for. For example how do you plan to make a living?

A number of people here are going to say you don't have two years; that things are going to collapse much sooner.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PastTense For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Target Shooter

I see your from the Carolina area, why are you leaving there?
The Following User Says Thank You to PreparingPatriot For This Useful Post:

Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,291 Times in 3,258 Posts

Hubby and I bought our property in 1984 ( 20 acres).

We chose an isolated area with inexpensive property.

Water was a main concern. We wanted to be able to utilize a wood lot have a garden and raise some small farm animals.

Our acrage consists of a small forested mountain and a small meadow. Our north boundry is a creek and 2 ponds in the meadow with a hand dug well and an electrically powered well.

We have an abundance of deer, rabbits, squirrel and the occassional bear, cougar and cyote pack.

Gardening has proven to be a challenge, but one that we are slowly conquring. I have foraged for wild fruits and vegatation.

We have made friends with many in our valley over the years. Friends that you can depend on during the times of plenty or lean times.

It felt like home the first time we drove through and it is home today .
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ramona M. Faunce For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
You need to tell us more about yourselves and what you are looking for. For example how do you plan to make a living?

A number of people here are going to say you don't have two years; that things are going to collapse much sooner.
Well Wife and I plan to pay off all credit cards and have house ready to sell in two years. Since Captial gains taxes must be spent on new property or get taxed again, we will buy property. Son who wants in on this, will work and save as much as cash as possible between now and then. Once we are there, we will leave off his income until wife and I can find jobs. Wife is paralegal for real estate attorney, she hopes to stay in that. Im a firearms trainer and security trainer, I hope to use that out there as well.

We would like for the land to work for us. Garden, solar power etc.

I agree that there may not be that much time, but we have to plan for both situations.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fasha For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreparingPatriot View Post
I see your from the Carolina area, why are you leaving there?
I was born and have lived in NC all my life, feel like a change. Lesser gun laws, less population, cheaper land prices, that is pretty much the driving force to move east of the mississippi.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona M. Faunce View Post
Hubby and I bought our property in 1984 ( 20 acres).

We chose an isolated area with inexpensive property.

Water was a main concern. We wanted to be able to utilize a wood lot have a garden and raise some small farm animals.

Our acrage consists of a small forested mountain and a small meadow. Our north boundry is a creek and 2 ponds in the meadow with a hand dug well and an electrically powered well.

We have an abundance of deer, rabbits, squirrel and the occassional bear, cougar and cyote pack.

Gardening has proven to be a challenge, but one that we are slowly conquring. I have foraged for wild fruits and vegatation.

We have made friends with many in our valley over the years. Friends that you can depend on during the times of plenty or lean times.

It felt like home the first time we drove through and it is home today .
This sounds a lot like what we have planned. Want property with a house on it to over come the power issue. Would like it near or with a nature spring feed stream. Would like some pasture for animals, good soil for garden and fruit trees and woods for concealment. Thnaks for sharing!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:02 PM

You have my very best wishes for your search for your 'sanctuary'.

In our case, we live on land that my g-grandfather bought in 1860. Fortunately, the family was able to safeguard a good chunk of it through the years until I inherited it. We are on a river, with much of the land in 'woods'. There is more housing around us than we would like, but for the most part, we are in the woods.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helen Gunn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2012, 02:10 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasha View Post
I was born and have lived in NC all my life, feel like a change. Lesser gun laws, less population, cheaper land prices, that is pretty much the driving force to move east of the mississippi.
I'm in Florida right now, the Carolina's are where I'm trying to get to one day. I really like the Greenville South Carolina area.
The Following User Says Thank You to PreparingPatriot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2012, 02:50 AM
Trapper

Thanked 3,386 Times in 552 Posts
Default Where to go to survive?

You live in a community.
You don't trust your community or your community doesn't trust you?
Move.
You think you can throw a dart at a map and get insight as to where you should move?
I'm with you there, I've done it many times.

I've been all over the USA.
I've been to 48 states, most of them many times.

In all my travels I've met good folks and bad.

I know this, the more times you move the less folks will trust you.
Don't move unless you need to.
Bloom where you're planted.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,525 Times in 1,750 Posts

I left CA almost 9 years ago. I'd lived in pretty much the same general area for almost 30 years.

I found my job first, moved to AZ on a wing and a prayer hoping I'd pass a necessary test and keep my new job. I slept with my books for a week and passed my licensing exam. We lived with a friend for the first year and decided to stay in the neighborhood we were in and rented a place a couple blocks away. We rented for 5 years before we decided we were going to make it permanent and bought this place a couple years ago.

Our requirements were to have a very large yard with not much already growing in it. No pool, and we we wanted to move back the couple blocks we'd moved before. We found a corner lot with an rv gate and not much other than weeds growing in the yard. It's in the corner that doesn't get headlights when people drive by.

Is this our ideal location? No, it's not but it's advantageous for various reasons that make it acceptable. It's also where we have our jobs at the moment and we're not willing to give up that security at the moment. It's one of the best moves we've ever made and I'm glad I'm out of CA.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wyldflwr For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2012, 05:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,318 Times in 1,613 Posts

one suggestion I have is to make it a practice to start reading the online newspapers in the different areas you are looking at, and include the help wanted ads so you can get an idea of what is out there...and land and homes for sale. Another thing to do is to take your vacations out there. Make a list of what you really WANT: town size, rural or closer to town, acerage, home size, flat or mountain, etc. Make a firm list of what to look for: water, dirt, neighbors, tree's or field. It took us two years to get out of where we were, but I had my eye on this location for a year. That enabled us to get to know some of the locals, how the town worked and what was here. Good luck! I strongly suggest moving your time line up if possible. Our home took 3 times as long to sell as we thought it would.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herbalpagan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbalpagan View Post
one suggestion I have is to make it a practice to start reading the online newspapers in the different areas you are looking at, and include the help wanted ads so you can get an idea of what is out there...and land and homes for sale. Another thing to do is to take your vacations out there. Make a list of what you really WANT: town size, rural or closer to town, acerage, home size, flat or mountain, etc. Make a firm list of what to look for: water, dirt, neighbors, tree's or field. It took us two years to get out of where we were, but I had my eye on this location for a year. That enabled us to get to know some of the locals, how the town worked and what was here. Good luck! I strongly suggest moving your time line up if possible. Our home took 3 times as long to sell as we thought it would.
Good insite Herbal, that is what Im looking for her, suggestions on where to look for info. You have som good ideas!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 AM

BTW I would love to stay where Im at, but with a mindset that most city people have and using that mindset to buy the home in the subdividion I live in now. This is a no win situation for me and family. Homeowners Assoc even bitched about my 5 ft x 5ft above ground garden...
Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,185 Times in 2,846 Posts

Made the move from the Chicago burbs to rural southern Missouri.
You might want to check the town of West Plains and work your way west on highway 160 towards Branson.

Land plentiful and realstate is affordable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Prepared

drobs is right, that is some beautiful area...spring fed rivers, trout, i love that area just wondering why "west" of the mississippi? i would think ky, tn, ms, al, would also have what you are looking for? i recently met a young couple who have relocated from fort bragg, and i think they are liking ky
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 AM
You talkin' to me?

Thanked 25,823 Times in 6,329 Posts

I had a similar situation 9 years ago, hated where I was and was profoundly unhappy. Made the move to NE Texas and have never regreted it. Good weather, no state income tax, land available that I can afford, and good people. We have also weathered the reccesion much better than the rest of the country and there are jobs to be had.

If your willing to work and like the outdoors you would be welcome here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,886 Times in 2,703 Posts

If I say anything, I'd recommend staying in areas that have water.

We live in a small town, but there's no water to speak of for 50 miles.
Power goes out, the pumps don't work. Not a good situation.

We're looking at moving also, but back to 'civilization'.
Opportunity is knocking and despite the added expense of city life, we should be able to come out well ahead.

Research to find what you want/need before making any drastic choices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,622 Times in 3,980 Posts

For me I would consider:

Moving up hill from any river, and don't rely on any levies doing the work of keeping out water.

Close to a town but not a city.

Good growing land if thats what you want, a place that is structurally sound and a quiet area.

Get a map of your chosen area and then mark off in red any places that are dodgy, going to cause problems in SHTF, flood planes and so on. Then find somewhere that fits your needs in the areas well away from these.
The Following User Says Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 17,051 Times in 4,603 Posts

Mississippi has four different planting zones. All of them better than NC's. You will be able to plant better crops a lot longer.

Primarily it's considered a growing zone 8.

Use this to determine. http://www.plantguideonline.com/fact...te=Mississippi

As a survivalist I've always liked more land then house, specifically for farming. I suggest you find some place with at least 4 acres of land.

Good luck, and NC will miss you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post: