Anyone know how to remove the "gamey" taste from Deer meat? - Page 6 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Europe is a mess: first horse meat now "poop" pudding brewmaster1918 General Discussion 10 01-02-2017 02:24 PM
Anderson Farms Meat substitute "Yuck" review sgtmcboom Food and water 0 10-04-2014 09:40 PM
writing "act forcefully to remove a government " = Sedition? Robot General Discussion 11 04-24-2014 05:55 PM
More Powder Coated bullets. "Taste The Rainbow" well sorta. res45 Firearms General Discussion 9 02-02-2014 11:01 AM
Have you ever bought meat from "Prime Selection"? Any good? Reason General Discussion 2 04-21-2013 12:01 AM
"304 Total Servings of Freeze Dried Meat Emergency Bucket By Chef's Banquet" Costco MasterrEugene Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 12-14-2012 09:01 PM
Food Preparation "Wall Dried Meat" Hazeleyes Food and water 4 12-09-2012 05:20 PM
Dehydrated 'Veggie" meat vs. FD "real" meat JTJT Food and water 21 01-28-2011 07:24 PM
Since when is patriotism "offensive" and "in bad taste"? Pixelguy Controversial News and Alternative Politics 28 01-06-2010 10:00 PM

Old 11-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 29,838 Times in 9,978 Posts

Advertise Here

i just soak it in Pepsi overnite. lot of mine gets ground 60/40 with boston butt into burger.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:20 AM

What I do that seems to work the best is to soak it in white vinegar as I cut it up. The worst of the gamey taste comes from the white tendons/ligaments which seem to taste sagey to me. I get a bucket and fill it half full of cool water then add a couple cups of white vinegar to the water. As I trim the meat I drop it in to soak. By the time I'm done with the deer the water has broken down some of the enzymes in the meat that make it taste gamey. Milk and buttermilk work on pretty well on liver but in my opinion a vinegar based marinade seems to work better on venison. Since the meat comes to you already cut up I would soak each package in a marinade before you cook it. BBQ sauce, teriyaki, those package marinades that you add water/vinegar to when you mix...
The Following User Says Thank You to Alone in MT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2016, 12:30 AM
The Darkside Cometh

two methods I use regularly...
Apples, in particular 2 decently sized Golden Delicious or a small can of Pearl Onions

In either case, slice the apples with an apple corer or cut the pearl onions in half.

Thaw frozen meat and add either the apples or the onions [not both] into a ziploc bag. You want as much of the apples/onions touching the meat as possible. Put in fridge for 24 hours. after the time is up, pull the meat out of the bag, leaving the apples or onions in the bag and throw that out. Prepare the meat in whatever recipe you like.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:45 AM

Maybe try wrapping it in bacon and slow cooking it with apples. I have tried that with some duck to get rid of the gamey taste but never to venison.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:57 AM
Rebel Against Tyrants

Thanked 18,336 Times in 6,231 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I tried something new this year, I soaked my meat in ice water for 48 hours changing out the water every 6-8 hours until it ran pretty clear. My meat was almost white when I took it out and I have to say it is the besting tasting deer I have ever had.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:07 AM
Hiker

lots of good advice already posted, but i'll add my experience.

when I married into a hunting family, I had no experience with game. they ate lots of deer exclusively actually, and I always found it gamey.

when I started hunting and learning to process my own deer, I found the best thing to do is cut and grind yourself. you keep quality to your standards. I waste more meat, but I have zero tendon, fat, whatever. I am meticulous about it.

when I grind, I mix in 20-25% pork/fat/trimmings. this is what gets your flavor. venison is very lean but the fat it does have is not tasty fat like pork.

I vacuum seal and freeze immediately, and do not let the deer hang for more than a day or two before processing. hide is removed immediately as well to cool the deer faster.

the guys I know who are slow about removing the hide, or take it someplace to be processed, where it takes weeks or a month to get it back--their meat tastes gamey. most people who eat my venison can't even tell it's not beef.

if you cook steaks, most people overcook it. a little olive oil or even butter and served medium is perfect for the tenderloin...
Old 12-09-2016, 07:10 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemaris View Post
I don't see why it is confusing. Some people (like me) - just want to fill the freezer with meat that does not cost a fortune.

If I wanted gamey meet - I'd wait until the season was well under-way, and then shoot the most hyper looking, worn-out buck I could find and then let him hang for a week. On the other hand - if I want good tasting meat that resembles beef - I'll shoot a fat, relaxed doe hopefully the first day of the season. Then cut it up right away and put in the freezer. Often that results in no gamey taste at all.

If you think people only hunt because they want gamey meat - why would they bother to hunt? Why not just drive around and gather up well-aged road-kill?
I agree with you, I prefer a nice fat doe to a buck any day. honestly I only shoot a buck if I see one, I don't seek them out. doe's taste better.

a nice little fawn is tasty as well, not worth butchering so we just wrap the whole thing and roast it like a pig with apples and bacon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gungatim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 10:18 PM
Outdoor Life is Good

Deer don't seem to have that game taste like it use to. I guess it's the 2-3yr old does I like so much, or I'm just use to eating it. My Amish neighbors soak it in this stuff called Tender Quick, in fact they soak a lot of meats in it.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 12,840 Times in 3,507 Posts

My Wife is an Old World German. And yes, you can buy venison in any grocery store. If one find themselves with a strong flavored cut of game, they soak it in buttermilk. It works like baking soda for odor removal and as a great tenderizer.

Of course, proper hunting, meticulous field prep, aging and processing are the most important for mild and tender game.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:41 PM
Outdoor Life is Good

I'm heading to the timber in the morn for a deer hunt with the wife's crossbow, I talked her in to buying it, she doesn't use it so I figure I will.
The Following User Says Thank You to Illinois Crackpot 66 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 03:16 AM
Crazy

Thanked 7,407 Times in 2,539 Posts

I pretty much only cook the back strap and jerky the whole deer.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:43 PM

Default Wild Game Taste or Gourmet?

No matter how you slice it (pardon the pun) it's gonna taste different. That "Gamey" taste means it is not a chemical induced slab of Government issued garbage.
If you have ever looked in a butcher freezer you'd be surprised to find that all that pretty red eat you see sliced at the counter dripping with what appears to be blood is bone white. All meat is injected prior to fast freezing ( all except what you butcher yourself.
SO the next time you cook wild meat, try wild onions, herbs a glass of home made wine and enjoy the real side of life... When the SHTF; it's all gonna get real again anyway. Enjoy the coming year. Try different things new meals and ways to prepare them. That gamey taste is just part of all we have been missing in life.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:16 PM
Forester

Thanked 9,557 Times in 4,709 Posts

Eat elk, moose and buffalo.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:18 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,432 Times in 3,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Eat elk, moose and buffalo.
Moose...is good stuuf ....

I was brought up in Alaska on pot roast moose.

Sadly no native wild buffalo one can hunt anymore.

We harvest a couple elk every year.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Forester

Living in Wyo someone always had a moose. Elk are easy to get in the Rocky Mtns. Eastern Wyo, Dakotas, Nebraska have lots of buffalo ranches. I have served buffalo for Thanksgiving at least 20 times.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:06 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 54,381 Times in 7,497 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I did not read the entire thread, so this may have been mentioned somewhere in the previous pages.

1. Wild game will taste different from domesticated animals. Not everything 'tastes like chicken', every animal has its own flavor, and the way it is cooked and seasoned will affect the taste, including how close it will taste to a dish you are familiar with.

2. If the game is taken in specific seasons, primarily the rutting season, it will have that 'gamey' taste.

3. If it is not butchered and cleaned properly, it may wind up with some contaminates on the meat that will taint the taste. Particularly if scent glands are involved.

4. And the biggest problem, that my research has disclosed over the years, is whether or not the animal is an unexpected, one shot, immediate death kill. If the animal has been on the move, such as being driven, or has been spooked, and then shot it will be 'gamey' from the adrenaline that is pumped through the system. And even if it is a shot on an unexpecting animal, but it is not an immeadiate kill shot and the animal runs, or even just drops and quivers on the ground, the adrenaline is pumping through it and will taint the meat. It is the adrenaline that produces the gamey taste most of the time.

The methods that I did see posted here will help, but the best way to avoid the gamey taste is to get an immediate kill animal that did not have any reason for adrenaline to be in its system.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:59 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,432 Times in 3,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post

4. And the biggest problem, that my research has disclosed over the years, is whether or not the animal is an unexpected, one shot, immediate death kill. If the animal has been on the move, such as being driven, or has been spooked, and then shot it will be 'gamey' from the adrenaline that is pumped through the system. And even if it is a shot on an unexpecting animal, but it is not an immeadiate kill shot and the animal runs, or even just drops and quivers on the ground, the adrenaline is pumping through it and will taint the meat. It is the adrenaline that produces the gamey taste most of the time.

Just my opinion.
#4 is dead on fact, from experiance If its NOT a near instant clean kill shot.
Example, wounded, runs, bleeds outs & dies slowly. The meat is really gamey.

Bad shots happen & when that happens.
We usually bone out, grind, soak/marinade & make well seasoned smoked sausage with a high percentage of pork mixed in.

That does away with the "gamey" taste.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:52 PM

if I use venison in chili or pasta sauce I always add at least one square of hersheys chocolate per pound of meat. Some thing in the chocolate balances the slight game taste. Also when people say " hmmm, interesting flavor..." you can claim the chocolate and they usually still say they like the food.....mention bambi though, and see what happens.

try it, the chocolate really does work.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:30 PM

Mixing it with another meat is definitely the way to go
Old 06-20-2017, 10:00 AM
Forester

The best venison gets shot on cold days standing still. Then the hide and guts are removed pronto. It is aged in cool weather for about a week in a barn or in a meat locker. Then it is properly wrapped and eaten within about 6 months.

If any of these guidelines are ignored deer meat can be gamey. Especially compared to elk, moose, caribou and antelope. Soaking it in milk helps, but some venison just needs to be strongly flavored and maybe mixed with beef or pork. The really gamey meat I feed to my dogs.