Lockdown/Quarantine (re: London attacks) - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Gun Owner lists shared in London bstachel69 General Discussion 5 04-20-2017 09:37 PM
Russia knew of Chemical Attacks in Advance....Cover UP Big_John General Discussion 37 04-13-2017 11:55 AM
london power cuts? geordie1 British Isles and ROI 6 11-26-2016 02:28 PM
Mob style attacks in downtown Philadelphia Gva General Discussion 40 11-13-2016 07:25 PM
Device exploded at Hammersmith station, London grant80 General Discussion 9 10-07-2016 04:24 PM

Old 06-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,331 Posts
Default Lockdown/Quarantine (re: London attacks)

Advertise Here

I saw a quote in an article (https://www.yahoo.com/news/london-po...072226044.html) about the London attacks that, despite being about a tragedy, had a brief bit of humor in the context of a prepping/survival forum:

Most of the London Underground stations reopened in the neighborhood where the attack took place, allowing normal life and commerce to resume after more than 24 hours of lockdown. Some residents cooped up inside all day Sunday emerged from their homes for the first time since the attacks.

"We were all stuck!" said Marcia Rainford, a 58-year-old who said she was sealed into her building complex with her mother and two children.

"We got blocked in. One whole day," she said. Luckily she had a full fridge. "I always stock up!"

One whole day! God forbid there was some sort of attack or natural disaster that kept you cooped up longer than that. Good thing she had that fridge full, so she wouldn't have to turn to cannibalism on Day #2.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 04:10 PM

Just imagine the consequences when a properly coordinated ISIL attack occurs and it turns out that the suicide bombers were actually infected with Smallpox or some other similar nasty.
I have absolutely no doubt it will happen.
At the moment we are only seeing disenfranchised individuals that have found a "cause" that they can use to justify their revenge on society.
When we start seeing proper organized attacks it will be much much worse.
Take Manchester, just imagine that bomber infected with a highly contagious disease
(other than Islam) and how far he could of spread that infection when he exploded.
Think of all the people that ran to help, all those that ran away, all the emergency workers.
One person could infect hundreds , yet thousands may be infected before health authorities realized something was really wrong.
Then after this event is eventually contained what are the consequences for future responses to attacks?>>>>>It may well mean the next time a bomb goes off the entire area is quarantined instead of sending in a rescue team.
Thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to 11evilace11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,886 Times in 2,703 Posts

Modern people have little concept of space and quarantine.

Historically, being confined to a single room or worse for days, even weeks is not unusual.

Cowboys confined to a line shack over a brutal winter, escaping slaves in hidden rooms often smaller than a modern closet, resistance fighters and escaped POWs in any space available.

A day? With heat, power, water, Internet? And food? This is hardship??
The horrors!!

Obviously this Brit at least has never known of 'The London Blitz', unless it was a drink at the local public house.

When it comes to certain things, you are on your own. This is reality, nothing new, nothing anyone else may never have experienced.

Wonder how she'd do with the power off for a week and a half and snowed in for two and a half weeks.

Could be a new "Survivor" show, watching the modern types self destruct when the WiFi goes out.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:

Old 06-05-2017, 10:21 PM
Trapper

Thanked 3,672 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlibird View Post
Could be a new "Survivor" show, watching the modern types self destruct when the WiFi goes out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam Robinson XV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 5,292 Times in 2,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11evilace11 View Post
Just imagine the consequences when a properly coordinated ISIL attack occurs and it turns out that the suicide bombers were actually infected with Smallpox or some other similar nasty.

Think of all the people that ran to help, all those that ran away, all the emergency workers.
One person could infect hundreds , yet thousands may be infected before health authorities realized something was really wrong.

Thoughts?
Imagine what happens when the people from outside are sent in and return home before authorities figure out what happened. Couple that with a fairly long incubation period and we have another plague.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ankylus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 06:00 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 5,292 Times in 2,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inazone View Post
I saw a quote in an article (https://www.yahoo.com/news/london-po...072226044.html) about the London attacks that, despite being about a tragedy, had a brief bit of humor in the context of a prepping/survival forum:

Most of the London Underground stations reopened in the neighborhood where the attack took place, allowing normal life and commerce to resume after more than 24 hours of lockdown. Some residents cooped up inside all day Sunday emerged from their homes for the first time since the attacks.

"We were all stuck!" said Marcia Rainford, a 58-year-old who said she was sealed into her building complex with her mother and two children.

"We got blocked in. One whole day," she said. Luckily she had a full fridge. "I always stock up!"

One whole day! God forbid there was some sort of attack or natural disaster that kept you cooped up longer than that. Good thing she had that fridge full, so she wouldn't have to turn to cannibalism on Day #2.

"That island of England breeds very valiant creatures; their mastiffs are of unmatchable courage."

Rambures, Henry V

I am afraid it's been bred out of most of the breed. A pity, truly. The Great War and its unintended consequences. That damn Kaiser Wilhelm II was as evil as Hitler in some ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ankylus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Awaiting ***** suspension

Thanked 13,691 Times in 4,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inazone View Post
]
If we get put on lockdown for one or a few days, it better be during the week. I need a break from work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LordOpie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11evilace11 View Post
At the moment we are only seeing disenfranchised individuals that have found a "cause" that they can use to justify their revenge on society.
When we start seeing proper organized attacks it will be much much worse.
Take Manchester, just imagine that bomber infected with a highly contagious disease
(other than Islam) and how far he could of spread that infection when he exploded.
Then after this event is eventually contained what are the consequences for future responses to attacks?>>>>>It may well mean the next time a bomb goes off the entire area is quarantined instead of sending in a rescue team.
Thoughts?
Yes sir. The only problem being; that type of thinking is "crazy and paranoid" and your supplies are "hoarding". Until of course, it does happen and then you are "selfish" for not sharing and "cold hearted" for not doing something about it. Of course, if you try to explain you did try to do something about it, but were cast off as "racist, homophobic and bigoted", you are now just a jerk.

Thoughts?

Quarantine would be incredibly difficult. There are few towns/cities which can be easily blocked off - i.e. they are not built with surrounding walls, moats and other easy barriers to aid in a quarantine. Isolating a entire city metro area would result in tens of thousands, and in too many cases, quite possibly millions of deaths.

Any such agent could easily spread well outside any [likely] quarantine zone before anyone even knew a quarantine was needed. Personally, I am both thankful and surprised it has not happened yet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lugh MacArawn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 07:38 PM

I absolutely refuse to obey any sort of quarantine whatsoever that is not of medical necessity. I don't give a rat's ass who is at large.

If there is a fight to be had, I want in.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,243 Posts

Well I dont think most Americans or Canadians living in large cities would do any better than the Brits. One thing in our favour is so many here are overweight they could live off their fat for months.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstSergeant View Post
I absolutely refuse to obey any sort of quarantine whatsoever that is not of medical necessity. I don't give a rat's ass who is at large.

If there is a fight to be had, I want in.
--Dunno about that. Was working in Boston after the Marathon bombings, and the following shutdown after the shootout in Watertown.

Along with the rest of the area our hospital was in complete lock down. When finally OK'd to leave it was recommended to drive SLOW all windows down & go directly home.

It was a creepy ghost town with police line of sight my entire drive home.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,798 Times in 6,071 Posts

Everyone is missing the point! Which is

""We were all stuck!" said Marcia Rainford, a 58-year-old who said she was sealed into her building complex with her mother and two children."

Sealed in all day with her mother and (perhaps) adult children? In some families, THAT would be grounds for bloodshed!

Or a sit-com.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 08:44 AM
Prepared

A whole day, huh? Two or three winters ago, I got stuck inside at home all day due to snow. Not a lot, but enough to not mess with the drive ways. I was stuck with the wife, father in law, and his cousin who had just gotten out of prison after 23 years.

We watched TV, or read, or went back to sleep. since we heat with wood, we all eventually ended up in the living room with the rest of the house closed off. Can't say that it bothered me all that much.

Other people my age might have, like, literally died, you know?
The Following User Says Thank You to theblindman94 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 10:58 AM

Default Civil Liberties Following the Boston Bombing....

Former Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) said Monday that the response of law enforcement officials to the Boston Marathon bombings should frighten Americans more than the attack itself.

In an op-ed titled “Liberty Was Also Attacked in Boston” for libertarian writer Lew Rockwell’s website, Paul likened the massive manhunt for suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to “scenes from a military coup in a far off banana republic.”
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FirstSergeant For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
Sealed in all day with her mother and (perhaps) adult children? In some families, THAT would be grounds for bloodshed!
My kids are still babies, but if my wife and kids were cooped up with my mother-in-law for more than about four hours, I think it'd be best if I found somewhere else to be for a good long while.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 5,239 Times in 1,584 Posts

Good grief, I go a week or more not leaving the property all the time, and during the winter it's frequent that I don't even put on my shoes and step outside for several days in a row. I don't consider it quarantine, I just have plenty to do right where I am. Some weeks in winter the only reason I leave the property is to go get Chinese food (to which I am addicted).
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post
Good grief, I go a week or more not leaving the property all the time, and during the winter it's frequent that I don't even put on my shoes and step outside for several days in a row. I don't consider it quarantine, I just have plenty to do right where I am. Some weeks in winter the only reason I leave the property is to go get Chinese food (to which I am addicted).
By choice. Not forced to do so under color of law.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:21 PM
Combat Vet, Patriot, RN

Thanked 30,109 Times in 6,467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarmyguy View Post
Well I dont think most Americans or Canadians living in large cities would do any better than the Brits. One thing in our favour is so many here are overweight they could live off their fat for months.
We always speak poorly of ourselves as a country for being "fat", but some things to ponder...

The definition of "overweight" and "obese" have been changed over the years to include more and more people, despite the fact that Americans have slowly reversed the trend of expanding waistlines and heavier weights. Yes, we're actually slowly getting less overweight.

We have this reputation for being fat, but we aren't even the fattest country in the world anymore. Mexico takes the top spot now. But funny, no one is making jokes or trash talking Mexico for being fat. If you include the Pacific Island nations, the US ranks 17th fattest in the world.

Just figured I'd add some unpopular reality into the discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBryan314 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 04:23 PM
Combat Vet, Patriot, RN

Thanked 30,109 Times in 6,467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstSergeant View Post
Former Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) said Monday that the response of law enforcement officials to the Boston Marathon bombings should frighten Americans more than the attack itself.

In an op-ed titled “Liberty Was Also Attacked in Boston” for libertarian writer Lew Rockwell’s website, Paul likened the massive manhunt for suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to “scenes from a military coup in a far off banana republic.”
Ron Paul is absolutely correct. He usually is.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBryan314 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 06:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBryan314 View Post
We always speak poorly of ourselves as a country for being "fat", but some things to ponder...

The definition of "overweight" and "obese" have been changed over the years to include more and more people, despite the fact that Americans have slowly reversed the trend of expanding waistlines and heavier weights. Yes, we're actually slowly getting less overweight.

We have this reputation for being fat, but we aren't even the fattest country in the world anymore. Mexico takes the top spot now. But funny, no one is making jokes or trash talking Mexico for being fat. If you include the Pacific Island nations, the US ranks 17th fattest in the world.

Just figured I'd add some unpopular reality into the discussion.
Well maybe but I sure see some big people that whaling ships would take a second look at.