Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have our newer handguns been ballistically fingerprinted and micro stamped? DRPLMMM Firearms General Discussion 22 06-08-2017 11:53 AM
Do You Really Watch the Shooting sShows on TV and Learn From Them? AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 7 06-02-2017 07:19 PM
Standing watch - short story wtr100 Books, Movies & Stories 12 10-30-2016 11:56 AM

Old 06-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Survivor

Default Watch: Five Overrated Handguns

Advertise Here

We have a brutally honest video by James from The Firearm Blog about five handguns he feels are overrated. What would make a handgun overrated? Cost and function seems to be the common factor. In one example, why spend $800 on a handgun when there are models that cost less than $600 that will do the same exact job?
The List

H&K USP
CZ 75
H&K P7
Taurus Judge

The post Watch: Five Overrated Handguns appeared first on AllOutdoor.com.

Read the full article here...
Old 06-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Save a life; carry a gun.

Mr. Foul-Mouth should learn something about guns. The Taurus Judge is the ultimate in a short range defensive handgun. As a South American product, its ancestry includes the pinfire blunderbusses of the late nineteenth century that were exported from Belgium. They were rifled just as the Judge is in order to get a wider shot spread faster. Because of American law, Taurus can only offer it in .410 although the 28 gauge iteration (with balls larger than 000 Buck) would be even better. Taurus should consider flaring the muzzle. The U.S. Army did this with shotguns and found that it produced excellent patterns for its intended purpose. I keep a stainless model with a 3" chamber and 3" barrel in each of my vehicles as well as on my nightstand. They're loaded with shells holding five 000 Buck.

The PPK has been around for eighty-six years. It has lived up to its name as it has been a top choice of police detectives for that entire time. Gestapo agents loved it in all of its chamberings although the lady agents for whom the .25 auto chambering was designed preferred their .32s and .380s. I bought my first PPK when I was sixteen. It's chambered for .22 long rifle and is delightful to shoot. I'm still seeking the rare and elusive .25. I'm surprised that the KPK, the shrouded hammer version, is only found in prototypes. It would be a definite winner. The PPK isn't just a great gun; the pre-1946 guns are treasured pieces of history.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Horn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,585 Times in 3,389 Posts

5 companies to advertise least on AllOutdoor.com
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:

Old 06-19-2017, 03:01 PM
Awaiting ***** suspension

Thanked 13,693 Times in 4,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
5 companies to advertise least on AllOutdoor.com
truly lol

it used to be that you had to "pay" to get an article written about your company/product. Now, if you don't pay, you get bad-mouthed.

also, just click-bait.
The Following User Says Thank You to LordOpie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,264 Times in 1,257 Posts

I actually happen to agree with the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 03:19 PM
statists' be statin'

Thanked 7,892 Times in 1,753 Posts

I completely disagree that the Taurus Judge is over rated. I don't think anyone has ever rated it highly enough for it to be over rated.

I own one and it's a fun gun but that's about it. It's not a great .45 or a great .410. If he made a list of guns that were mediocre but fun, the Judge should be on the list. It just doesn't belong on this list.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,264 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy View Post
I completely disagree that the Taurus Judge is over rated. I don't think anyone has ever rated it highly enough for it to be over rated.

I own one and it's a fun gun but that's about it. It's not a great .45 or a great .410. If he made a list of guns that were mediocre but fun, the Judge should be on the list. It just doesn't belong on this list.

Read Mr Big Horns post above. Some people do rate it that high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Survivor

Quote:

I have the other version S&W Governor. It is a great home defense gun. You can load it with any combination and order of .410 and 45's. I can fill a doorway with shot and take my time with a 45 to center mass.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:12 PM
statists' be statin'

Thanked 7,892 Times in 1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
I have the other version S&W Governor. It is a great home defense gun. You can load it with any combination and order of .410 and 45's. I can fill a doorway with shot and take my time with a 45 to center mass.
My Judge, when used as a shotgun, spreads at about 1 inch per foot of distance. So, I can fill a doorway from about 80 feet away (assuming your doors are the standard 80 inches high). At fighting distance, you still need to be on target to hit your target. The 6 inch barrel also keeps the shot from accelerating enough to have the knock down power of a .410.

As a .45, the bullet makes a long jump in free air to the forcing cone then travels down a barrel with barely an engraved rifling. At 10 yds, it's fairly accurate but not nearly as accurate as a gun made specifically for pistol rounds instead of a dual purpose gun.

It's a fun gun. I enjoy mine. I don't think it's the best choice for self defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to maintenanceguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 06:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,087 Posts

I can only speak to the PPK and CZ-75. If you goto any 3-gun match about 1/3 of the contestants will be shooting some variant of the CZ-75, the remaining batch are mixture of Glocks, Sigs, FN, Walthers and S&W, in that order. That says something.

As to the PPK, for a Conceal Carry Peice it's hard to beat (even its knock-off counterpart Bersa Thunder). It's been proven time and time again and still a popular pistol.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:53 PM
Survivor

Quote:
My Judge, when used as a shotgun, spreads at about 1 inch per foot of distance. So, I can fill a doorway from about 80 feet away (assuming your doors are the standard 80 inches high). At fighting distance, you still need to be on target to hit your target. The 6 inch barrel also keeps the shot from accelerating enough to have the knock down power of a .410.

As a .45, the bullet makes a long jump in free air to the forcing cone then travels down a barrel with barely an engraved rifling. At 10 yds, it's fairly accurate but not nearly as accurate as a gun made specifically for pistol rounds instead of a dual purpose gun.

It's a fun gun. I enjoy mine. I don't think it's the best choice for self defense.
Well I was thinking more in terms of filling the width of the doorway not the height. A 45 is going through drywall. So I'd rather not be half asleep throwing that shot. Add to all that my Governor is equipped with a built in Crimson Trace Laser Sight.

Check out the data for the Governor. #4 or #6 will give adequate spread.http://410handguns.com/sw275.html
Old 06-22-2017, 03:39 PM
Save a life; carry a gun.

This is the round that I use: five 000 Buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=256aNCB4AVo
Old 06-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Hiker

no 1911s on the list? its a good pistol but its not a mini tank with a death ray round like some claim. the fact that parts need handfitted and they rust is my biggest issues with them and compared to whats out there i think they are a little outdated ...but awsome if you like to tinker and know how to handfit parts...which i dont ..yet i like to swap parts on my guns so im currently getting rid of my colt 1991 and going back to the fantastic plastic 9s. anyways...the 1911 andglock deserve spots on that list way above cz or the judge