Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1 oz. Silver Maple Leaf vs. American Silver Eagle mrwilson2013 Financial Forum 111 12-20-2016 07:45 AM
Calculator For Actual Silver Content Value of US Silver Coins XS29L Financial Forum 14 08-09-2016 04:30 PM
Private Full-Service Silver Mints producing Silver Generic Rounds Branned Financial Forum 1 11-17-2015 07:47 PM
Canada issues $20 silver coin for trade = $116 silver carlnpa Financial Forum 33 05-30-2015 08:03 AM
Physical Silver is Really $50 per Ounce (80% Premium on COMEX Silver Non-Delivery) Branned Financial Forum 26 12-18-2014 10:50 PM
Silver Immune Booster Sale! Best Value Colloidal Silver Solution GetPreparedStuff For Sale 7 10-20-2014 11:45 AM
Election Results & market trending desertpir8 Financial Forum 5 10-24-2012 09:26 PM
Silver is now trending......up? Bud Financial Forum 53 09-05-2012 12:31 PM
TRENDING: Nugent threatens death if Obama wins in November matty86suk Political News and Discussion 101 04-20-2012 03:17 PM

Old 05-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,575 Times in 3,382 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
That is interesting. I also had a small stack and I was 17 in 1980. I was also a roll hunter, hitting the banks looking for silver. I didn't find much, as many were out of work and were hitting the rolls like myself. I find much more silver today, (2,000+ silvers found between 2008-2014). Back then, I knew no one that had a stack of silver, including my relatives.
That is impressive. 2000 in 6 years. Are you still...
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,495 Times in 537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
That is interesting. I also had a small stack and I was 17 in 1980. I was also a roll hunter, hitting the banks looking for silver. I didn't find much, as many were out of work and were hitting the rolls like myself. I find much more silver today, (2,000+ silvers found between 2008-2014). Back then, I knew no one that had a stack of silver, including my relatives.
Grew up reading buried treasure pirate stories which twisted me all up on silver and gold. My father was a coin collector and always had been since childhood so I got indoctrinated early on about what was "wrong" with the new change. My relatives had a feed mill and sometimes let me buy any silver coins that came in and that's how I got my first $5 silver certificate too.

During the 70s gas crunch and stagflation the local independent gas station owner was taking silver change for gas under face value which got my attention, and my first big boy buy at the coin shop was an un-circulated war nickel set.
To this day I'm known to hold up the check out line scanning dates which is how I found a 1909 VDB penny not long ago
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xstuntman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 04:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,317 Times in 690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
That is impressive. 2000 in 6 years. Are you still...
I cancelled several bank accounts that I used exclusively for roll hunting. The maintainance fees on accounts kept on and on, even when I met their minimum balances. One bank that I joined using my father as a reference (he received a free $50 and so did I) sucked my account to zero in less than six months. I stayed with my credit union that I joined over 30 years ago. They have a fast coin counter which I used quite often. Nowadays, if I find a war nickel or wheatie in my change, I get a cheap thrill. I was really addicted to roll hunting and went through about 30 grand in change per year for several years, and that's really not much money for hard core roll hunters. For me, roll hunting was a hobby, not a money maker.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:

Old 05-22-2017, 09:35 AM
Libertarian

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,140 Posts

Ag $17.08 at this time! Ooooorah!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prankster For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 06:53 PM
Hunter

I was holding out for the bottom! Snooze, you loose.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:37 PM
Hunter

Silver $17.43 / gold $1269.78
Old 05-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Libertarian

Ag $17.45 at this time per PM Bull.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prankster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,495 Times in 537 Posts

FYI,
Ag and Au go on sale again middle to late next week courtesy of Aunty Janet. Anyone taking bets on how big the beatings gonna be?

I'm throwing out mid $16s/$1235.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xstuntman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Silver Wings

Thanked 25,012 Times in 8,084 Posts

Hi everyone, just checking in .... I'm still around ....sorry for not keeping up, just haven't been into PM's as much lately as other things. I reached my stack goals back when you really got your shirt ripped off your back .... lol

Commodity cycles usually last a decade or longer and this one seems to be no different. I'm not as pessimistic about a liquidity crunch as I once was. Maybe I should be, but somehow the can keeps getting kicked down the road. Perhaps the computer algo's they have now won't let it crash ... and I am a tad more optimistic some government regulations and waste will be scrapped and deals made that are beneficial for business.

Anyway, good people, good thread, and everyone be safe and God bless.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to txflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 07:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,627 Times in 6,029 Posts

Ahh yes, a welcome Tx fly by.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sierra skier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 08:28 AM
New and yet, old

Thanked 9,458 Times in 2,003 Posts

I feel so.........abandoned
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 09:51 AM
Silver Wings

Thanked 25,012 Times in 8,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I feel so.........abandoned

Aw c'mon guys, you are all smarter than I am about metals anyhow..... all I seem to know is how to lose money with them.

I went on a gun buying jag before the election, thinking if it had went the other way guns would be more valuable.

Like silver, I was wrong about that too.....
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to txflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 09:11 PM
Libertarian

JM Bullion has Sunshine 10 oz bars on sale for $177.00 each. Keep stacking!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to prankster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Bushidoka

Thanked 5,185 Times in 1,762 Posts
Default Gold, Silver, USD and GSR...

So am I the only one who still thinks gold has bottomed (at least in the short term) & the USD peaked at the same time? For a moment there I was under the impression gold and the USD were both in a downtrend, and my whiskers started to twitch wondering what that could mean. But no, when I look again, it seems they are continuing in virtual inverse lock-step since they both reversed direction last December.

Despite Gold's recent drop from its recent flirtation with $1300/oz, it still looks to me to be in an uptrend from its December lows, with higher highs and higher lows since last December.

And despite the USD's recent uptick from the DXY's YTD low of 96.63 on Jun 5th, it still looks to me like the USD has been in a downtrend since its December high of 103.82, with lower lows and lower highs over the exact same period against the basket of currencies represented by the DXY. And this even in the face of past and anticipated future interest rate hikes.

Meanwhile silver also bottomed in December, but its recovery has been more ambiguous. So the Gold-Silver Ratio, after starting back down as it should after a market bottom, has gone on a frolic of its own since February rising sharply with the divergence between gold and silver.

Some might say this means gold is due for a pullback, and this still could be true. But without knowing what is happening with volumes in both markets, I would speculate that worldwide demand for gold is humming along--ahead of demand for the USD-- though not to the point of disrupting it. And silver demand is not keeping up.

Does this mean it's time to buy silver? Remember you want to buy silver when the GSR is high, and "ride it down" when the price of gold spikes. So I would say buy some (more) gold now with your declining USD (and stop whenever they reverse direction), but switch to buying silver when the GSR turns around and starts going down.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ambos lados For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 08:23 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambos lados View Post
So am I the only one who still thinks gold has bottomed (at least in the short term) & the USD peaked at the same time? For a moment there I was under the impression gold and the USD were both in a downtrend, and my whiskers started to twitch wondering what that could mean. But no, when I look again, it seems they are continuing in virtual inverse lock-step since they both reversed direction last December.

Despite Gold's recent drop from its recent flirtation with $1300/oz, it still looks to me to be in an uptrend from its December lows, with higher highs and higher lows since last December.

And despite the USD's recent uptick from the DXY's YTD low of 96.63 on Jun 5th, it still looks to me like the USD has been in a downtrend since its December high of 103.82, with lower lows and lower highs over the exact same period against the basket of currencies represented by the DXY. And this even in the face of past and anticipated future interest rate hikes.

Meanwhile silver also bottomed in December, but its recovery has been more ambiguous. So the Gold-Silver Ratio, after starting back down as it should after a market bottom, has gone on a frolic of its own since February rising sharply with the divergence between gold and silver.

Some might say this means gold is due for a pullback, and this still could be true. But without knowing what is happening with volumes in both markets, I would speculate that worldwide demand for gold is humming along--ahead of demand for the USD-- though not to the point of disrupting it. And silver demand is not keeping up.

Does this mean it's time to buy silver? Remember you want to buy silver when the GSR is high, and "ride it down" when the price of gold spikes. So I would say buy some (more) gold now with your declining USD (and stop whenever they reverse direction), but switch to buying silver when the GSR turns around and starts going down.
My opinion both gold and silver are suffering from a lack of demand. So many got killed listening to Ron Paul and investing with low-life dealers who allegedly was holding gold for them while other chased silver up that I believe we are at least another 10 years or 20 before a new generation of suckers come on line.

The Hunt Brothers caused a peak in 1980. We did not get another run until 2011. That is over 30 years. I know many people that put silver in safety deposit boxes after the prices started to fall in 1980. I have no idea if they sold, still at a loss in 2011.

My opinion is gold and silver will bump up and down based on consumption demand and new supplies. I do not see a normal spread between those highs and lows doing much more than covering the spread, premium over spot to buy and the discount below spot to sell.

There are two reason to continue buying silver IMO. One is the pleasure of collecting and two if or when SHTF. The latter will not be social breakdown not a supply and demand drive based on market factors.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 01:26 PM
I choose freewill....

Thanked 4,239 Times in 1,374 Posts

Howdy all....

Well, in the market to sell 200 oz's of SAE's. Gotta get work done on the land. Waiting for the price to bump up a bit, should have done it during the near $18 run a couple of months ago but oh well.

Thankfully I'm diverse in my Ag holdings and while I hate seeing it go, it'll go towards good stuff.

On a plus note when I went to inventory it this weekend discovered I had more than I thought, two rolls more. I'll take it as a good surprise.

No matter how the paper price goes it's great to have that metal IN HAND.

Drive on my PM holding friends!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FreedomofSpeech For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Libertarian

Silver at $16.47 per PM Bull. The $20 Trillion Debt is still the dead horse on the living room carpet that no one wants to mention. I'm thinking one day we'll all look back at $16.47 and wish we had pulled the trigger!
The Following User Says Thank You to prankster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 09:49 AM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by prankster View Post
Silver at $16.47 per PM Bull. The $20 Trillion Debt is still the dead horse on the living room carpet that no one wants to mention. I'm thinking one day we'll all look back at $16.47 and wish we had pulled the trigger!
So do you advise us to buy or to sell at 16.47$? My question is if the financial SHTF comes is it good to have Silver or not? I am asking this because some say silver/gold will be worthless if current financial empire crumbles.

So which is i?
Old 06-20-2017, 10:00 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1978 View Post
So do you advise us to buy or to sell at 16.47$? My question is if the financial SHTF comes is it good to have Silver or not? I am asking this because some say silver/gold will be worthless if current financial empire crumbles.

So which is i?
Demand
http://www.silverinstitute.org/site/...silver-demand/

Supply
http://www.silverinstitute.org/site/...silver-supply/

Production
http://www.silverinstitute.org/site/...er-production/

Note the demand bars have flattened. The scrap silver supply has declined. That tells me those of us that have silver are holding it. Production is down.

So the question is have we missed the price increase or is there more on the upside.

IMO: I do not think the data forecast a price reduction. So my guess is flat or up.

Danger! Here we are all pro-silver so our opinions have been only half right.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:00 AM
Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1978 View Post

So which is i?
First off I wouldn't dream of advising anyone concerning financial matters or any other matters. I only know what I am going to do. PM's are the last thing to get on a very long list of prepper items.
The Following User Says Thank You to prankster For This Useful Post: