Survivalist Forum banner

Small, inexpensive fallout shelter

24K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  survive 
#1 ·
#18 ·
"The cave is your grave"
I usually like your posts but this one makes little sense. Everything I have read and experienced first hand regarding fallout and other underground shelters is that they are the best protection from storms, especially tornadoes, fallout, raiders if the shelter is built right...

A quote from the Retreat Checklist > "A shelter must be a buttoned-up, closed-in place that will protect the inhabitants from a hostile environment. Such as fallout, tornadoes etc.

A bunker is designed primarily to defend strategic locations from hostile intruders." The best ones can do both.

I was just thinking how in the world would you go to the bathroom in this thing? Where would the waste be stored?

Cache, absolutely, it could also double as a root cellar, storm shelter, temporary nuclear blast shelter, BO storage facility. You name it.

3200.00 isnt really a whole lot. Could do that with this years tax return.
Maybe your tax return or many others; I personally know not too many with that much. You maybe are having too much withheld?

And while the OP is interesting and is a better than nothing kind of shelter there are better and much more less expensive ones.

Here is the best and The Least expensive > http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm

Which I used those plans to build my bunker/fallout/storm/storage shelter. As shown in the Everything about Bunkers thread and where I tell exactly how I built my bunker with many pics > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=107463

Quite a few others also tell about their bunkers and fallout shelters throughout that thread. Not sure if many miss that thread or just don't like it or what??

My bunker which is mainly an underground cabin and has served as a storage and storm shelter, cost around $2,000, mainly for the cost of the 250 eighty pound bags of concrete. I could have built it for maybe $100 using only poles and logs from all of the dead trees on and near my land. I also salvaged many materials.

This excellent book tells all one needs to know about how to survive fallout and many other scenarios. Including what to do with waste etc. > www.oism.org/nwss

#10 ·
The fact is that a nuclear attack may well be a smaller device and that the fallout will pose the largest threat to the greatest number of people. The OP posted a good alternative as it is best to be underground to avoid the most fallout.

The biggest problem with the shelter might be to keep people from using it for unapproved uses. lol

#14 ·
If you're planning on being down in this thing 1-2 hours, maybe a couple days, then it's fine. But for a actual nuclear attack where fallout will be your greatest concern, you'll need to stay down there for days, maybe months. In which case, this shelter wouldn't do you much good.

#15 ·
I was just thinking how in the world would you go to the bathroom in this thing? Where would the waste be stored?

Cache, absolutely, it could also double as a root cellar, storm shelter, temporary nuclear blast shelter, BO storage facility. You name it.

3200.00 isnt really a whole lot. Could do that with this years tax return.

#16 ·
I was wondering the same thing! As was mentioned, would make for a great storage container, but I don't fancy living in it. That waste thing, is one that definitely needs more thought for this design. A day might be survivable, but even that, with a few people, the stench would become pretty thick!

#17 ·
After reading their site they recommend the bag and discard later technique. I dont know if that's a good idea however would work i suppose. I was thinking of putting a collection tank below the tank prior to installation and simply installing a small camode. I mean a small hole in he bottom to a tank cant hurt right?

Plus after reading their site they say that 99% of radiation will be gone after 48 hours. Don't know how accurate that is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.