Survivalist Forum banner

Hangun Ammo Storage Solutions? Ammo crates?

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  unknownroot 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

In a SHTF situation, what would be the best way to carry let's say 200rds of .40 S&W?

In standard boxes, in a small backpack?

Duffle bag?

Some sort of ammo crate?

In a ton of mags?

Thanks!

#6 ·
I will tell you that ammo gets heavy quick. Carry it in a backpack, preferably one with a frame. Leave it in original boxes if you don't have enough mags to carry it. Either way, keep it in a ziplock bag if you are on foot. An oxygen absorber would be nice too. A slip into water or even a brief downpour will make you thankful for the ziplock bags. Once they are empty, keep the bags for something else.

#7 ·
I keep my ammo in ziplock freezer bags in a backpack. Boxes and stuff just gets mashed up and spills all over the place. I keep about 100 rounds of 357 magnum, 100 special +p, 300 of 9mm, 5 loaded 9mm mags, and 6- 30 round mags loaded with 7.62x39 in a shoulder sling laptop bag

#10 ·
Mags are too heavy and bulky when you start carrying a bunch of them. I vacuum seal ammo in bags of 50. That makes them easy to stash in the pack, easy to handle, and you can add or subtract to adjust the weight of the pack. Keeps them weatherproof too.

#13 ·
I keep two extra magazines when carrying my 1911A1, there is an extra 5 in my LBV.
If I'm packing my Sigma 9mm i keep it and an extra mag somewhere near by either cargo pocket, coat, glove-box, or girlfriends purse.

If I'm leaving town I pack the AR-15 in the trunk with 120 rounds minimum.

The way I figure I own way too many guns and too much ammo to be left empty handed the day I end up needing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.