Survivalist Forum banner

Do you store ammo in the factory boxes or loose in ammo cans?

246K views 101 replies 76 participants last post by  edlmann 
#1 ·
I picked up some ammo cans for my assorted 9mm ammo, but I've been reluctant to just dump everything into the ammo cans. Is there any reason not to just store ammo "loose" in the cans?

#2 ·
I dump my reloads together as I load the same load. I wouldn't think mixing factory would be a good idea unless they are all the same load. Even then there are rare recalls on specific lots. I do keep my factory loads in the factory boxes inside military ammo cans. I even throw in a dehumidifier pack upon occasion. As a reloader, I keep a lot of componets with few loaded rounds. I can put together anything I need easily and some states have limits on the amount of loaded ammo that one can possess.

#4 ·
If the ammo is in paper/cardboard boxes it comes out of the box and then goes into plastic ziplock bags which then go into airtight containers. I try not to get oils/salts from my hands on the rounds so as to decrease the potential for corrosion. Then the boxes get tossed. Paper sucks up humidity and stores it, the boxes have to go.

I also only seal up my ammo when humidity is low.

#16 ·
Loose rounds for me. I can load them easier and faster into mags without the hassle of taking them out of the boxes. And, as mentioned, the paper draws moisture.

I also only use plastic ammo cans like the ones sold at Cabelas. They are kinder to loose rounds vs the metal cans.

I also like to keep track of the amounts. I just use masking tape on the top of the can with the number written down. If I use some I subtract that figure.

Cardboard ammo boxes wicking up moisture, thats a new one on me.
The only way I've ever seen ammo boxes wick up moisture is they got wet from water, not moisture or humidity.
I better get those old 1978 .308 Portuguese bullets out of their cardboard box
They could start drawing moisture in another 35 years.
And while I'm at it I'll get that 223 out of my ammo can with the card board liner. Its been in there since 1991 or 1992, however it could start drawing moisture any day now that you mention it.
I've always stored ammo in the boxes they came in and never had a problem. YMMV
I'm just kidding with you, nothing serious CrypticCRICKET or 7.62 however I've never seen a problem here, I store my ammo where it does not see rain, However most of it is not in climate control, but in military ammo boxes.

#7 ·
Loose rounds for me. I can load them easier and faster into mags without the hassle of taking them out of the boxes. And, as mentioned, the paper draws moisture.

I also only use plastic ammo cans like the ones sold at Cabelas. They are kinder to loose rounds vs the metal cans.

I also like to keep track of the amounts. I just use masking tape on the top of the can with the number written down. If I use some I subtract that figure.

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm currently putting the store-bought boxes into ammo cans, but as I find myself accumulating "keeper" ammo faster than the range ammo that I buy a box or two at a time, I haven't got enough ammo cans. A good problem to have, I suppose. For what it's worth, my guns and ammo are stored in a room with a dehumidifier.

How about silica gel packs in the cans? Any particular size (grams) that's the norm?

#15 ·
SMALL BOXES for pistol ammo. A regular 50 cal can will easily hold 2k rds of 9mm. But it weighs a ton! I made the mistake of loading up a dozen or so cans, then began moving them. I just about blew out my O-ring! If I had to do it all over again I would use 308 ammo cans. I also (same time) did the same thing with 3800rd of 5.56 in fat 40mm cans. Yeah, not smart. Go for small cans and lots of them. Sure it takes up more room (either loose or in the boxes) but it is easier to move and store.

I have all my linked ammo in the proper ammo cans (50 is still a PITA), I am breaking down the big cans to the smaller ones, and have a lot in mags and battle packs ready to hand out. Same with empty mags. What wont fit into LBV's (they are already loaded) I have on bandoleers and pouches. Ammo and mags are heavy, keep them in small boxes so you can move them.

#22 ·
This really is being over-thought. Whatever is most convenient for you.

I keep my factory ammo in their boxes, may even put my reloads in reused boxes with labeling, or reloads loose. Not something I lose sleep over.

But really don't like the idea of throwing a bunch of 22's loose in any kind of can. Don't even care for the "new" fangled bulk pack boxes they started coming out with recently - only 20 years ago, still waiting to see how that works out ;->

#29 ·
Well, I managed to get most of my ammo into ammo cans tonight, except for the range ammo that I will be rotating regularly. While it's certainly nowhere near as much as what a lot of people keep on hand, it added up to a lot more than I thought I had, especially considering that I don't own a firearm with more than 15-round capacity.

Now I just need to label those ammo cans . . .

#31 ·
I keep my ammo in zip lock bags of 250-500 depending on what caliber the number shifts. Which i then place in 5 gallon buckets and metal military ammo cans (Thanks Dermo). I dont keep any mags loaded other than the one in my HDW, as it does take a toll on your springs. So when i want to hit the range i just grab a bag of whatever caliber i want to use that day and be on my way.

#34 ·
I too have some surplus 7.62x51 ammo with discolored brass from excessive direct contact to the cardboard packaging.

It still shoots fine, and polishes up just fine in the reloading process, but it could potentially reduce the number of potential reloads so I'm not taking any further chances.

My process is:

Wearing Surgical gloves

Ammo in a ziplock bag with a desiccant.

.308 50 rounds
.223 150 rounds
Etc.

That bag into another zip lock bag. Into Ammo can.

Anything gets through that and we're probably in a Waterworld scenario and as I'm not much of a swimmer, it won't much matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.