how do you get one year's supply? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What does a one year supply of food look like? crazympgirlx9 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 98 01-16-2017 02:57 PM
1 year supply per person mountainmansurvival Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 69 12-09-2014 02:46 PM
TP--What's a year's supply? goose3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 83 07-28-2011 04:29 PM
Advice on moving my year's supply newberrie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 04-22-2011 10:28 AM
How much food is a year's supply? calypso Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 01-25-2011 06:40 PM
Costco year supply question rebel_ins Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 12-18-2010 10:28 PM
Costco - 20% off 1 year food supply L.A. Prepper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 10-05-2009 01:01 AM
Mountain House - 1 year supply Kanute Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 06-06-2008 07:13 PM

Old 01-02-2012, 10:58 PM

Default how do you get one year's supply?

Advertise Here

It is totally mind blowing what one year's supply of food, toiletries, medicine and such would be. I don't mean cost wise as much as I mean bulk space taking. What are some clever ideas for storing food items and how much do you think you really have once you look at how long it would last without replenishing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zosimos For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 33,501 Times in 8,559 Posts

I have a separate building 16x24 for storage, if you ration the portions according to serving sizes food should last at 3/4 of the anticipated time. But while you are doing that you should be gardening as well to cut down on getting into your supplies.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Learner

Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,324 Posts

I converted a closet into shelving for extra space. I just did a "math" count for the food. I am up to 2 months of canned meats. two months of canned veggies, one month canned fruit, and a year of rice. there is other stuff, but not in a number that really matters as of yet. Meds, especially those that are not OTC, are tough to amass. I will be talking with my doctors when I see them this month about how to stockpile these other requirements.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackrorabbit For This Useful Post:

Old 01-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Toilet paper, paper towels, and kleenex use up a lot of space in my storage room. If anyone has an idea on how to compress them, I'm listening.
The Following User Says Thank You to El Gringo Perdido For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Grevcon 10ⓖ & MGM20ⓜ

Thanked 9,713 Times in 3,869 Posts
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gringo Perdido View Post
Toilet paper, paper towels, and kleenex use up a lot of space in my storage room. If anyone has an idea on how to compress them, I'm listening.
I stock toilet paper and a few boxes of kleenex, however I have a lot of handkerchiefs & bandannas to replace the kleenex, also I have not purchased any paper towels in 30 years I use only washable dish cloths and have a large supply.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to felicia For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Anarchist/Animist Primate

Thanked 10,600 Times in 3,730 Posts

Quote:
Yes. Use cloth wipes, face cloths and towels instead. For the toilet wipes, you just keep a closed container with a little bit of water and vinegar in it, then launder normally.

For laundry, a 5 gallon bucket and a plunger washer work really well, then ring and hang dry. Very easy.

You could also get one of those hand crank pressure washers. For small loads they are supposed to work really well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Horned One For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Left the building

Thanked 25,322 Times in 8,259 Posts

Quote:
Great posts above. But if you do want to store TP, say...Try this. I stock Cottonelle double ply. I get 24 rolls...two twelve packs in a 5 gallon bucket. I didn't take the cardboard out, as it was to frustration....lol. Plenty of rags, and wipes. If you stock baby wipes, be sure to check them periodically to make sure they haven't dried out.

With the gasketed lid, keeps dry, and safe from insects like silverfish, etc.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TxHills For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2012, 08:34 PM

Order "fish" medicine online. You can get pill form of Tetracycline, penicillin, amoxicillin and more.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Prepared

I'm in a small space as well, I store under beds and under the couch as well as in the closets...divides it up nicely and makes it easier to manage.

I keep costs down by using coupons, I no longer pay (other than tax) for oral care or basic hygene items...will soon have my years worth and start collecting some for barter! those I keep in the bathroom, under the sink and in the linnen closet.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Shane View Post
I have a separate building 16x24 for storage, if you ration the portions according to serving sizes food should last at 3/4 of the anticipated time. But while you are doing that you should be gardening as well to cut down on getting into your supplies.
I totally agree about a garden. I plan to put in more fruit and nut trees also. Why would the portions last 3/4 of expected time? I'm thinking that maybe the portions are smaller than what we actually eat and our extra activity would require more calories. Or is it the charity thing and we give away 1/4 of our food? I like the freeze dried buckets and I buy the supporting items at my local stores. Toilet paper, yeah, that would eventually turn into phone books which I have been throwing away. We'd learn to ration those things too.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Prepared

I hadn't thought about storing TP in a bucket. I've been buying quad length rolls of ultra-strong paper. Using the quad length puts more paper on each roll so you have less wasted space.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,804 Times in 6,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimos View Post
It is totally mind blowing what one year's supply of food, toiletries, medicine and such would be. I don't mean cost wise as much as I mean bulk space taking. What are some clever ideas for storing food items and how much do you think you really have once you look at how long it would last without replenishing.
You can stuff a LOT into a house or apartment if you work at it. Floor to ceiling shelves, under beds and sofas, inside cabinets and dressers, in attics, basements, crawlspaces, closets... The main problem is water, which is bulky and heavy and needs to be in containers, and items like toilet paper, which is just bulky. To figure out how much you've got, and how long it would last, I like Emergency Essentials' Food Analyzer...

http://foodstorageanalyzer.com/
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 33,501 Times in 8,559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimos View Post
I totally agree about a garden. I plan to put in more fruit and nut trees also. Why would the portions last 3/4 of expected time? I'm thinking that maybe the portions are smaller than what we actually eat and our extra activity would require more calories. Or is it the charity thing and we give away 1/4 of our food? I like the freeze dried buckets and I buy the supporting items at my local stores. Toilet paper, yeah, that would eventually turn into phone books which I have been throwing away. We'd learn to ration those things too.

I think people will initially eat more than they think, and as you mentioned if you increase your physical activity then you will need to up your caloric intake, unless you start off overweight. So between waste, eating too much people will burn through a bit of it until they get portion control down.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Prepared

We built a 25x50 building in whch 1/2 was to be my heated and air conditioned shop and the other side was for storage of our off road (BOV) toys and tractor attachments. We ended up putting shelves up around the storage side and putting our long term food items in there. I keep it heated at about 40 degrees in the winter and about 80-84 in the summer by opening the doors between the two sides. The building has no windows, a couple of sun tube skylights, insulated doors and the walls have 6" of fiberglass insullation with 24" in the ceiling. It doesn't break me to heat or cool it because of the insulation. The roof also feeds a 2,000 gal cistern for the garden or for emergency drinking water.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,504 Times in 3,150 Posts

I only put 8 rolls of T.P. in my buckets, which is about a week's worth for us.; makes it easy to tell how many weeks' worth I have at a glance.

Use the space under couches, beds, behind drawers (they don't always go all the way to the back), etc. If you own the place, you can cut a piece of dry-wall out of an interior wall (use a stud-finder), put cans or other things on the ...what's that piece that goes horizontal between wall studs called?...then hang a picture right over it.Use the space above...you don't always need it. Do you have an attic? Many things can be stored there, as long as it isn't things that will damage by freezing or high temps.
The Following User Says Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post: