Survivalist Forum banner

I think I might have blown COMSEC.

5K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  BJJ_Grappler 
#1 ·
So today, I was at the grocery store when I saw an old coworker. We asked each other how we were doing, what we've been up too and stuff. When I asked him what's he been up to, he said that he's been doing research on how to help him become a writer and about other stuff.

The thing that stood out to me was the research about the other stuff. I kind of used it to ease into another conversation and the next thing you know, we're talking about how terrible this economy is, how hard it is to find a job even with a college degree, how jobs are being outsourced to different countries, how our debt ceiling is unsustainable etc.

Then he told me that "You need to prep. You need to save up as much money as you can and get out." I gave him this blank and confused look and asked him "Prep? What do you mean by that?" He basically just said the same thing, to save up as much money and to get out.

After he said that, we started talking more in depth about things that did matter, like how the NASA is constantly invading our privacy, how our civil rights is being violated, the recent black site discovery in Chicago, how we're the 99% and the 1% is going to screw us. He kept saying that our generation is screwed.

He told me that he might be all paranoid and stuff about everything that's going on. He also told me that if we don't do anything (like save money and move) within the next 5-10 years, we're screwed. I asked him what he meant by that and he mentioned Greece and how bad it is over there. He mentioned when the unemployment continues to rise, people won't have a job to feed their families. People will get angry and that will lead to riots.

Keep in mind that I never mentioned anything about my preps to him. We only came to the mutual agreement on how we're screwed as a nation and that we're both aware of what's going on.

I think I blew my COMSEC though. :(

Thoughts?

See less See more
#24 ·
Yep. His old coworker must be one of those fanatical hoarding prepper guys like I see on TV. Probably has a closet full of canned food and keeps an extra coat and umbrella in the car and stuff.

I just can't help but chuckle. It's a pretty funny story from the OP.

#9 ·
I run paranoid "crazy" with all flavors of nuts.

To me, it just sounded like you agreed. You played dumb (good call considering you don't really know him these days).

Sometimes mental illness can amplify a legitimate concern and make it overriding. At one point I wanted to build a fallout shelter in my home for the "inevitiable" dirty bomb attack. This was, of course, prior to diagnosis and medication.

There's a line with prepping and only you know it. Some people, like me, may need to do a little more than average due to my restrictions (non driving, disabled, married to a guy in a wheelchair).

A gal already out on her own homestead in the middle of nowhere, with her own livestock, crops, weapons, etc. may need a lot less.

Reactions: 9Wolf19
#20 ·
That doesnt seem crazy ....

What I do with these things is have every prep also be useful today. So have the fallout shelter be your media room so you can have a totally dark home theater. It could be your root cellar for canning etc.

Yeah ok it is also your second pantry and has a very nice filtration system..

As long as you are able to use it today then whats the harm in it?

#19 ·
OSPEC is fine, don't freak out dude. In fact be happy, stuff like this validates that the world is somewhat waking up, I know it may be not enough. When you run into people who surprise you of being awake and prepared, it sort of validates the fact that you are not completely stupid and that the country really is in some sort of pop culture, corn infested trance.

And as others mentioned, this guy may become an ally or part of your group. Sounds like you guys have some chemistry, not trying to sound gay or creepy. You guys are at least friendly to one another.

You should followup with this guy if you have a good feeling.

#21 ·
Here's the thing.

More and more, I keep running into people who tell me that we should be prepared for something. If it was one or two people I knew, or friends I had, that would be a passing conversation. BUT it seems to be almost every person I run into is talking about something happening and to be prepared for it.

That's NOT a coincidince, and it's not just chance.

There's a looming fear in the background that something big is going to happen. Those of us who have prepped for years have felt it, but tend to live with it in the background. When I start seeing totally random people being afraid in mass... something is up.

#23 ·
I have been seeing/hearing this as well. Everytime I shop, I scan people buggies (I am trying to up my situational awareness) and I am seeing more and more buying shelf stable food, canning has took off, and more of my neighbors are farming/gardening. Its refreshing and exciting at the same time.

#22 ·
I think the important thing is to ask questions, as though you don't know the answer and don't offer any.
But what do we do if water is shut off for a while?
How long did it take for the government to step in hand help in New Orleans ? Did they help or make things worse ? stuffing them all in a stadium .
Imagine the government doing that here during an earth quake ?
What are we going to do with out power , if that EMP thing happens? What is an EMP any way ???
Asking questions doesn't always get answers , but sometimes it gets people to ask the question to them selves later.
Then hopefully do some research.
If some one is resigned to simply be the victim ,go no further.
If they get active ,let it grow on it's own.
Keep asking questions .
How should I begin storing food, I have no extra money ?
Needing them to help you find answers, may seek answers of their own.
And not give away any thing you've done in honesty.

#30 ·
I think the important thing is to ask questions, as though you don't know the answer and don't offer any.
But what do we do if water is shut off for a while?
How long did it take for the government to step in hand help in New Orleans ? Did they help or make things worse ? stuffing them all in a stadium .
Imagine the government doing that here during an earth quake ?
What are we going to do with out power , if that EMP thing happens? What is an EMP any way ???
Asking questions doesn't always get answers , but sometimes it gets people to ask the question to them selves later.
Then hopefully do some research.
If some one is resigned to simply be the victim ,go no further.
If they get active ,let it grow on it's own.
Keep asking questions .
How should I begin storing food, I have no extra money ?
Needing them to help you find answers, may seek answers of their own.
And not give away any thing you've done in honesty.
==> http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=386077

#25 ·
I totally do not understand the need to lie. Some people on here are really paranoid. They lie to their friends and tell everyone on the internet everything their doing. Lol No wonder our society is so ****ed up. Here's a clue. If your on here you have no "OPSEC".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.