Survivalist Forum banner

Yaesu, ft-60r unlocked.....

77K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  stelrfan03 
#1 ·
I am purchasing an ft-60r on ebay. Then I noticed that the upper and lower parts of the band in the 2m range were 137-174. The 70 cm range was increased as well. A standard ft-60r have bands that are 144-148 and 420-450.

However, I contacted the seller and he said these are export versions therefore those areas were unblocked. Frankly, I have been looking for a yaesu but I like the unblocked portions.

I have no intention of using police and fire frequencies. But, this radio is open to MURS, FRS, GMRS.....

thoughts....

#3 ·
Since most larger PD & FD are going trunked 800mhz and digital, I don't see alot of issues. Might even get low enough on 2m to get some unlisted channels ;)

Reactions: lonelyfool
#6 · (Edited)
So are you saying you can transmit on all freqs? The FT60R has wide range band reception built in. From 108 - 520 mhz / 700 - 999.990 mhz. I have had mine for a year and a half new from HRO. It receives the freqs I just listed right out of the box. Nothing special. I can only transmit 144 - 148 / 420 - 450.

You should read the specs here.
http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cm...2B4E19BB7371688B7F&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

Is this the ebay item you are talking about. Or something similar from Hong Kong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yaesu-FT-60R-Du...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a004e7fc9

#7 ·
I sent an email to Yaesu about the FT-60Rs listed on ebay from Hong Kong. I included the ebay link. This is their response.

Anybody can sell on EBay, however if the radio does not come from one of our authorized distributors then the warranty will be void. Buyer please be careful. 73 Tim Factor, Amateur Radio Technical Support

Vertex Standard USA, Inc.
Yaesu Amateur Products Division
10900 Walker Street
Cypress, CA 90630
t.factor@vxstdusa.com

714-827-7600 x 1513

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 8:54 AM
To: Tim Factor
Subject: FW: Inquiry: General Questions

-----Original Message-----
From: Web site inquiry [mailto:VS_Message@vertexstandard.com]
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 4:28 AM
To: Scott Dolliver
Subject: Inquiry: General Questions

The following inquiry was made from yaesu.com on 1-04-10 at 4:28am:

Type: General Questions

Is this Yaesu legal to sell here.

Thanks,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yaesu-FT-60R-Dual-Band-VHF-UHF-Handheld-FT60R-Radio_
W0QQitemZ180393770953QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a00
4e7fc9

I would suggest that if you decide to buy on ebay make sure they are an authorized Yaesu dealer.

#8 ·
Yaesu has a Hong Kong branch.

I have emailed them and should get an answer soon. Apparently, these are made in Hong Kong and if you need service, it will have to be sent back there.

I also called Yaesu today and they were real hip with these and told me of the warranty issue. If I hear something, I will post.

#9 ·
I have emailed them and should get an answer soon. Apparently, these are made in Hong Kong and if you need service, it will have to be sent back there.

I also called Yaesu today and they were real hip with these and told me of the warranty issue. If I hear something, I will post.
That could be a real pain. You might wind up waiting 3 months or better to get the unit back if there is a warranty issue. Deal with HRO ,there good people. Shipping on anything over $100.00 is free. Do you have you're tech ticket yet?

#10 ·
I am purchasing an ft-60r on ebay. Then I noticed that the upper and lower parts of the band in the 2m range were 137-174. The 70 cm range was increased as well. A standard ft-60r have bands that are 144-148 and 420-450.
The ft-60r covers 108 - 520 MHz on receive but only transmits in the ham bands. You can apply the mars/cap mod http://www.kb2ljj.com/data/yaesu/ft-60R.htm and it will transmit out of band. Its NOT LEGAL to do so but you can mod the radio. The radio might also be a non-us spec radio and if thats the case then you have no warranty through yaesu.. MANY of the "NEW" radio sold especially on ebay are grey market radio. Often are imported illegally and knowingly be the ebay BUYER.

#11 ·
Yaesu FT-60

There are different versions of the FT-60.

the r suffix is the US version.

the e suffix is the EU version.

If you have the box it should say the version, the only thing that you will not have if you have the EU version is the Automatic Repeater Shift, you will have to enter the shift manually.

There is also a modification to the FT-60 that involves removing a resistor or a solder jumper on the main board, that opens up both the TX and RX ranges.

If the radio works fine, I would not worry about it, you can now operate on the GMRS and FRS frequencies (although it is illegal to do so), as the radio is not type accepted.

The FT-60 is a great radio and I have one myself, if you have any more questions drop me a note.

Martin
KE7MRB

#12 ·
To Mars the radio (or in english open it up to all of its capabilities

Just so that all know, this is not may call sign nor am I taking credit for this information. I left the authors name and call in place because that is what he did on the site linked to. Killdeer

http://www.kb2ljj.com/data/yaesu/ft-60R.htm

Arthur: UKFLYER
NOTES

Mod will give TX 137-174Mhz and 420-470Mhz and is verified for US spec radios only.
Mod involves removal of an extremely small surface mount resistor. Do not attempt if your skills are not up to it. Irreparable damage could occur to the radio.
Mod does not make radio compliant for CAP use; it may also void your warranty.
Do not ever transmit on a frequency you are not licensed for.
This mod is provided for reference only.
Performing this mod will erase all memories and re-set the radio. Perform at your own risk!
Instructions

Remove belt-clip and battery
Remove the 4 screws (2 silver and 2 black) in the battery compartment.

Remove antenna and pull off the knobs

With tweezers or needle nose pliers, carefully remove the rubber gaskets around the knob shafts.
Unscrew the two split nuts from the knob shafts

Take out the rubber plug for the mic and DC sockets and swivel it around 90 degrees.
Carefully remove the body of the radio from the front panel. Ease it out from the bottom first making sure you don’t damage the rubber waterproof seal that goes all around it. Separate the LCD section from the front section.

Remove R1164. This is found on the right side of the radio, on the board just above the keypad area.

reassembly is the reverse of the disassembly.

ATTENTION
The KB2LJJ takes no responsibility for any damage during the modification or for any wrong information made on this modification.

#13 ·
To Mars the radio (or in english open it up to all of its capabilities

Just so that all know, this is not may call sign nor am I taking credit for this information. I left the authors name and call in place because that is what he did on the site linked to. Killdeer

http://www.kb2ljj.com/data/yaesu/ft-60R.htm

Arthur: UKFLYER
NOTES

Mod will give TX 137-174Mhz and 420-470Mhz and is verified for US spec radios only.
Mod involves removal of an extremely small surface mount resistor. Do not attempt if your skills are not up to it. Irreparable damage could occur to the radio.
Mod does not make radio compliant for CAP use; it may also void your warranty.
Do not ever transmit on a frequency you are not licensed for.
This mod is provided for reference only.
Performing this mod will erase all memories and re-set the radio. Perform at your own risk!
Instructions

Remove belt-clip and battery
Remove the 4 screws (2 silver and 2 black) in the battery compartment.

Remove antenna and pull off the knobs

With tweezers or needle nose pliers, carefully remove the rubber gaskets around the knob shafts.
Unscrew the two split nuts from the knob shafts

Take out the rubber plug for the mic and DC sockets and swivel it around 90 degrees.
Carefully remove the body of the radio from the front panel. Ease it out from the bottom first making sure you don’t damage the rubber waterproof seal that goes all around it. Separate the LCD section from the front section.

Remove R1164. This is found on the right side of the radio, on the board just above the keypad area.

reassembly is the reverse of the disassembly.

ATTENTION
The KB2LJJ takes no responsibility for any damage during the modification or for any wrong information made on this modification.
Greetings, Can you provide the instructions on how to program the Yaesu FT60R for a GMRS repeater after the Modification? I have followed the instructions on entering the frequency and tone but then I see that there is a transmit and receive frequency. I am not sure as a new user how to enter both frequencies. Thank you

#17 ·

However, I contacted the seller and he said these are export versions therefore those areas were unblocked. Frankly, I have been looking for a yaesu but I like the unblocked portions.

I have no intention of using police and fire frequencies. But, this radio is open to MURS, FRS, GMRS.....

thoughts....
Nice score mate!
I always mod my uhf/vhf rigs for wider tx/rx.
Listening is ok, tx'ing too if an actual emergency.
Having the ability to rx/tx to folks using bubblepack ht's is handy, and it turns rig into an ad hoc bubba scanner, for if you can hear folks on those bands, 80% of the time they are danger close....
Also, you can jam em up with the power of your rig too and a yagi....
jus sayin...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.