Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-19-2014, 04:00 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Believe it or not but NO, they AREN'T "making that power". A nuclear plant requires the grid to be up and running.

What most people seem to be missing here is that if there is a major EMP or Carrington type event and the grid goes down for a long time then we are going to be in real beig trouble.
Just because they can shut down the reactor right away and have all the back up safety systems the fuel must be kept cool and water must be kept circulating.
They can only run the generators as long as they have fuel for them.
If it is a severe grid outage where all the high-voltage transformers are destroyed (that take years to build and replace in the best of times) then soon there will be no fuel deliveries and no fuel refineries. This is in a worst-case scenario.
If you can't keep the fuel coming to keep the back up generators running there will likely be hundreds of nuc plants melting down.
Not something you want to look forward to.
They are making the power. What would be correct to say is in order for a nuclear power plant to operate as a generator, it needs a grid to dump about a gigawatt per reactor into. If the grid goes down, thay have to shut the reactor down as they don't have another way to deal with that gigawatt of energy.

High voltage transformers don't take years to build or install. And it my suprise you, but G Gorden Liddy is neither an electrical engineer or a purchasing agent for a power company. The Truth is there are certain phase shifting transformers used to move power (power on the grid flows by phase, not a higher voltage. It's counterintutive until you see the math. Or a generator brought up out of phase.) These transformers are rare, expensive and have a long lead time. A nuclear power plant usually has several sets of fairly generic (though massive) output transformers because you don't want to loose the grid connection as nuclear power is the cheapest source of energy or the most expensive generator, depending on how you look at it. A nuke plant could easially accept a tranformer from another site as long as it is the right voltage.

The fuel is designed to last long enough to shut the plant down so it won't melt down or sustain core damage. 30 days is a common number. There are backup systems if the generators don't work (and I've never seen a plant w/o 2 sets of generators, called an A and B train- The plants I'm familiar with have a A train and B train for each reactor, and a single C train shared between 2 reactors..), but you will get some damage to the plant.

30 days after shutdown, even if the core is left alone, you don't get the heat production or the short lived hot isotopes that you would if the reactor containment failed just after shutdown.

Forcing a single nuclear power plant into station blackout isn't that chalanging, but thats not where you are going.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to country_boy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2014, 07:49 AM

"G. Gordon Liddy"?

I have no idea at all why you brought up his name, what the heck does he have to do with anything? Seriously WTF?

You have completely missed my point which is that if there is an seriously extended grid outage there is going to come a point where there will simply be no more fuel for the generators.
So your explanation about "back-up generators is irrelevent if there is no fuel to run them.

Also the nuc plants have large pools with used fuel in them that have to have constantly circulating water in order to keep them cool. Without this circulating water the pools will eventually heat up and boil away exposing the fuel.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:36 AM

If you prep your brain and learn survival skills instead of buying 'stuff' you will find you can adapt as needed.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:23 AM

i just read this entire post , and still do not know the answer to the question ?

If an EMP went off and shut down the power grid in the south east , would the nuclear plant 100 miles from me blow up or not blow up ?
Old 06-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,866 Times in 4,171 Posts

In a similar situation like Fukushima, when they failed to shut down the plant while that had time , I expect it will be the same thing on any nuclear plant. Especially on a fault zone.
Since people don't learn from the mistakes of others," obviously ",, you can expect the same results.
Just because they have an education doesn't mean they know how to use it. still stupid.
You have rivers right by these plants , why are they not using the energy from the river to drive turbines ?
Manufacturing could be encouraged to provide their own power , either wind, or solar, or diesel, and leave the grid out of it.
Except the greed of the power company, it would work.
A company providing it's own power is far better off, than being dependent on the grid.
I have worked for such a company.
One of the best places I have ever worked.

One way or another they will force you to stay connected to the grid just like the lady in Florida .
Reducing your use of the grid takes action, and investment.
If you rent, and have the space for a trailer, build our power plant on that, so you can take it with you when you move. that's what I did.
If you have an apartment with a southern exposure to sunlight , you can make a bracket to support a solar panel on it out side ,to charge a battery bank in your room. Sealed batteries and laptop batteries are good for this , mostly for lighting, but that's a big part of the power consumption.
Solar panels don't work well behind windows ,too much heat build up.
I found it interesting in one of the latest movies that they had wind turbines in the sky scrapers , I thought that was cool.
If your going to go solar , do it soon.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,348 Times in 603 Posts

We have had regional blackouts during the past 25 years. I know my area was out once and there is a nuclear plant within the area. It's likely there have been others. How many have melted down as a result of such blackouts?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:59 AM

http://www.thepreparednesspodcast.co...mp-cme-events/

Don't read the article itself, but a persons comment on it, it will clear up the confusion
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taylor191145 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2014, 06:11 PM

Default All My Preps (and yours) May Be Completely Worthless?

Or perhaps you could make some point that is germane to the discussion as to how I got it all wrong to suggest learning what radiation is?[/QUOTE]

Sorry I just had to
Attachment 87787
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403997097.972614.jpg  
Old 07-03-2014, 11:23 PM

wow i never knew That
Old 07-04-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
"G. Gordon Liddy"?

I have no idea at all why you brought up his name, what the heck does he have to do with anything? Seriously WTF?

You have completely missed my point which is that if there is an seriously extended grid outage there is going to come a point where there will simply be no more fuel for the generators.
So your explanation about "back-up generators is irrelevent if there is no fuel to run them.

Also the nuc plants have large pools with used fuel in them that have to have constantly circulating water in order to keep them cool. Without this circulating water the pools will eventually heat up and boil away exposing the fuel.
G Gorden Liddy is the only source I've seen cited that comon transformers take years to build, and are only manufactured overseas. While his actual statement doesn imply that, it's clear he was talking about phase shifting trasnformers.

Since you claim had noting to do with Liddy, where did you get your information?

The fuel stored at a nuclar reactor is designed to be twice that required to safely shut down the reactor. When the fuel runs out the heat production should have slowed to make it more or less a non issue (the core of course will likely be destroyed by residual heat, and it may never be possble to repair it.)

The offsite fuel pools fo have recircuitaing pumps and heat exchangers- but thats to protect the cladding on the rods (I think 120 deg is the target. Simply letting the water boil off and replinishing it with a honda powered pump will avert an enviromental disaster, though you would not have confidance the rods are undamaged, and could be moved to dry cask storage.

Well, a yanmar powered pump since there is an extra 50,000gallons of diesel on site.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Twinkies

Thanked 1,248 Times in 708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by burton2012 View Post
Just thinking through this scenario:

The only disaster I can survive is a regional one, one not near me. Any national or worldwide collapse is unsurvivable.
Maybe but it does not stop me from trying.