Survivalist Forum banner

Fat,Sick & Nearly Dead Juicing and Gluten Free

56K views 333 replies 36 participants last post by  W.Lynn 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, a little background first so you know where i'm coming from.

So here I go. A few years ago I was gluten free, dairy free, nightshade free, sugar free and caffeine free. Was that way for almost 5 years then I got sick, diagnosed with multiple autoimmune diseases, hospitalized and nearly died. Had to quit working and go on disability.

Fast forward 3 years. I've gained a lot of weight back due to being inactive, due to being sedentary because of Chronic Fatigue, pain, etc issues, Totally quitting my diet and going back to eating anything and everything under the sun and then some of the meds i'm on 1 of the side effects is weight gain.

I've been reading up on Joe Cross, who is a person who found himself, fat, sick and nearly dead and he came to America from Austrailia. Short story, he learned about juicing and through trial and error is better now. So, i'm going to follow him, plus incorporate gluten free and nightshade free. I don't think I can handle going sugar free and caffeine free just yet but will slowly wean myself off those as we go along.

The intention is to see if I can put my autoimmune diseases into remission, feel better and get off all these medications i'm on, get some energy back, lose weight and feel better and this time make this a lifestyle change for the rest of my life.

Another reason I am posting this is so that people can keep track of what I am doing and I can be held accountable. You guys can keep me motivated and moving along.

I don't know whether to post every single day of what I eat and what I do or once a week. I'll have to play that by ear for the moment.

So, my stats. I really hate doing this part. :(

I am 5 ft. 2 and 198.6 I'm going to take a picture of me now, but am not going to post it but i'm thinking of posting that pic and an after pic a year from now for everyone to see. I've broken OPSEC several times already through the years that I've been here so what the hell.

So for breakfast I am juicing 2 apples, 4 celery stalks, 4 kale leaves, 1/2 a cucumber and 1 carrot.

See less See more
#43 ·
OK, well the little hole in the wall bar and grill we ate at last night (OMG the food was amazing!! :eek:) didn't have cheesecake ... or red wine ... lol

So I "settled" for a chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream ... shared with the Old JBT because I knew my joints would be hurting this morning (always does after I eat sugar) ...

I've been good today but my stomach is NOT happy -- probably all the meds I've taken this morning to try and shake off these muscle spasms and headaches ...

I still don't have a scale so I'm just gonna go by how my clothes feel and my measurements until I make it over to Bed Bath and Beyond ...

This morning:

Had one can of Low Sodium V-8 juice and my probiotic. A couple hours later I ate a small banana and 20 ounces of water with an electrolyte mix in it. I'll have to double check what the name of it is. All I know is it helps a LOT with muscle cramps and spasms.

I also did 20 minutes of yoga to try and shake off this headache. I've gotten to where I try yoga before I try pain meds because sometimes it can stop a headache ... Didn't work this time ... lol

Trying to figure out what to do for lunch but nothing sounds good. May just eat a handful of walnuts and call it good ...

#47 ·
I'm so proud of you TXgirl!! My headaches have been horrible since my birthday bash. I'm sure shooting and spending way too much time out and about and on my feet has caught up with me, along with maxing out my meds for that day, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat ... haven't had that much fun in ages ...

Everything I've tried to eat/drink has come back up ... you'd think I'd be losing some weight from that ... :D: :rolleyes:

Anyway, I finally broke down and drank a Diet Coke last night and actually felt much better when about a half hour or so ... I dunno what's in there but whatever it is I'm hooked on it ... Guess I'm gonna buy a case and try to wean myself off them slowly because this all at once ain't working for me ... :(

If one large DC from Sonic in 3 days can make me feel better instantly, I'm thinking maybe if I drink one every morning for the next few days and then try one every other day and then one every third day that by the time I get to the third or fourth day cycle I can just skip and drink one only when I have a really bad headache ...

I wish I knew what it was that helps ... it's not the caffeine ... I'm a coffee and tea drinker extraordinaire ... Not to mention there is caffeine in my meds also.

Weird deal ...

#49 ·
Thank you BadgeBunny, i'm trying. Not doing it exactly as recommended so not losing weight as fast as they say I can but I don't want to lose too much too soon. Sorry about the migraines, I get 3 day migraines about once a year and the odd thing is the only thing that will touch it is a quarter can of beer. Just enough to give me a buzz and then I go to sleep. When I wake up it's gone. But I try to wait it out and the 3rd day is when I do the beer.

Had another juice of 2 carrots, 2 kale, 5 mustard greens, half a cucumber and 1 apple. Won't be doing that 1 again with the mustard greens. Blechhh. Nasty.

BQ, during the times i'm juicing if I get hungry i'm eating either Chia seeds or Almonds. That helps and a gluten free/Paleo type meal in the evenings.

Well, going target practicing yesterday was not a good idea. Between hurting yesterday and most of the night managed to get to sleep after midnight then got up this morning with my shoulders and neck swollen. Had my son work on my neck and back and he said they were so tight he couldn't hardly do much. My neck is crunching and popping every time I turn my head. So not doing much today.

#51 · (Edited)
I haven't read through all the threads on this post just yet, but I just have to tell you a few things about Joe Cross juicing plan, which you can find and follow on rebootwithjoe.com.

For starters, my mom started this juice fast on 14 aug 2014 and is STILL JUICING, but eating only dinner once in awhile for the past month. To be clear, she drinks 4-6 juices a day and her doctors LOVE IT, ENCOURAGE IT AND themselves now doing it as well as passing along her story and their own research on healing yourself through diet.

Now the story:
I had told my mother about this for almost 2 yrs, about cleaning up her diet, and detoxing her body. She ate like crap, had high cholesterol and thyroid issues, which by the way came about after she started meds for cholesterol....20 yrs on synthroid at I believe 175mcg and is now taking .05.
Last year in august, I finally convinced her to start the juice fast if I did it with her ( if I didn't do it with her she would have never started on her own). I have researched this for almost 2 yrs, know enough about our 'food like products' to know that foods are what is killing us and making people sick.

Fast forward to now, she has lost 35 lbs and this was a plus, her goal was/is to detox and heal herself enough to come off her meds. She has dropped her cholesterol and is off those meds, and almost off her synthroid.
When starting this juice fast her and I had made dr appts to tell them what we wanted to do and that we wanted to have lab works set up for every 15 days to make sure everything was going ok. We have different drs, she has military as well as off base endocrinologist and I have a separate dr, no connections.
All of her drs were impressed with her results, told her to keep up what she was doing, etc. To this day they are still impressed and still encouraging her, her skin has cleared up, she has to s more energy, not so lazy and lethargic, even her eyes aren't as blurry anymore lol, and just feels totally amazing!

I juiced fasted for a few weeks like I mentioned earlier just to get her started but I didnt stay on it as long as her....I am healthy, not overweight and not on any meds, but I like the juice fast and detoxing. I have juices every couple few days, 1 or 2 a day, when I have time to make them, lol. My dr is so on board with it he as well juices. Each of our drs after researching on the info linkswe gave them all agree, if one is to juice fast, this was is the HEALTHIEST WAY to juice fast.

I have 2 coworkers that were interested in it as well, they started and did it the right way, discussing with their drs who also approved and 1 has had his cholesterol meds decreases, lost lots of weight, feels better, and can actually take his 3 dogs for a walk which he hasn't been able to do in a few yrs.
Another friend of mine up north started because she was having stomach issues that drs cannot figure out what it is....she started and in 10 days alone, felt better, no tummy issues, and her eyesight cleared up as well.

I can post more later as well as links to the better way to juice, even a letter you can take to your dr to help them understand the plan.

At the end of the day, if you tell your dr you want to consume raw fruits and veggies in a juice to add more nutrition to your diet, if he/she says no, then RUN and find yourself another dr.

You will get better, you will feel better, you will be better by incorporating juice into your diet, best if you juice fast, for at least 10 days even and you will know the difference.

#52 ·
So here I go. A few years ago I was gluten free, dairy free, nightshade free, sugar free and caffeine free. Was that way for almost 5 years then I got sick, diagnosed with multiple autoimmune diseases, hospitalized and nearly died. Had to quit working and go on disability.
You were doing all this and still got sick.

I've been reading up on Joe Cross, who is a person who found himself, fat, sick and nearly dead and he came to America from Austrailia to see drs. Short story, he learned about juicing and through trial and error is better now. So, i'm going to follow him, plus incorporate gluten free and nightshade free. I don't think I can handle going sugar free and caffeine free just yet but will slowly wean myself off those as we go along.
So now you want to try to get un-sick by going back to the same stuff that failed to keep you healthy before?

I'm not trying to be harsh here. I believe you need a completely different approach.

#53 ·
You were doing all this and still got sick.

So now you want to try to get un-sick by going back to the same stuff that failed to keep you healthy before?

I'm not trying to be harsh here. I believe you need a completely different approach.
Yes, I still got sick, I came down with not 1 but several autoimmune diseases. Maybe I was just 1 of the lucky few who it dosen't matter what they did would get sick anyway. I don't know. I'm not a dr.

Well, when you put it that way. That doesn't look so good does it? But how are we to know that it was the gluten free, nightshade free diet that caused it in the first place? We don't, so I am going to give this a shot first and if I don't feel any different in 6 months then I will try something new

And like I said. If nothing happens in 6 months then i'll try a different approach. But I do know it is helping me lose weight and this might help my Leaky Gut Syndrome.

#54 ·
Hey, girl ... you up because you are hurting (welcome to the party) or because you just feel like staying up tonight?? ;)

#56 ·
Bummer ... :( Sorry to hear that ... I'm just waiting for mine to kick in ... I was nearly pain free when I went to bed ... it sucks knowing that laying down to go to sleep is gonna cause you to wake up hurting in 3 or 4 hours ...I wonder if I could learn to sleep like a bat if that would help?? :D:

#57 ·
Lol, I was just over in the group and got a bright idea I named the OFFICIAL Up ALL Night Thread, that way if someone is up because of pain or something going on we can visit with each other maybe help take our minds off of our own problems. You know help each other through it you could say.

I broke down and just took a Vicodin. Just waiting for it to kick in myself.

#61 ·
There were a couple days there I was sick, not feeling good and I cheated. Boy was that a mistake. Oh well, now that i'm feeling better gotta get back on the horse.

Last night for supper had a nice piece of baked Tilapia, cup of Asparagus and a salad with white rice vinegar oil spread over it.

This morning juiced 5 Romaine lettuce leaves, 2 cups of chopped Kale, 2 carrots, 1 cucumber, 2 apples.

Blood sugar was 105

Weight was 196.2

Looks like I didn't lose any weight and probably gained some back when I ate some things I probably shouldn't have. Oh well.

Reactions: BadgeBunny
#62 ·
I'm staying on the straight and narrow so far ... I'm so lazy when I hurt it's not even funny so my "go to" drink has been a handful of spinach, a banana, enough almond milk to get it to blend and then toss in enough frozen strawberries to make it slushy. Oh ... and the bee pollen, chia and flax seed, too ...

I'm stuffed after I drink a cupful (and I mean a cupful ... probably about 8 to 10 ounces if I was to measure it out) ...

Not to mention that I'm not nearly so prone to become nauseous when I take my meds if I'm drinking my salad ...

I figure I'm probably getting 4 to 5 servings of fruit and 6 to 8 servings of vegetables with drinking 2 of these a day. I do need to start eating some more protein, I think. But right now, with the weather affecting my headaches like it does, I just don't have the appetite.

Have no idea how much weight I've lost but I know I have because by jeans will slide off my hips without any "urging" from my part ... lol And I have a heavy winter coat that was snug if I wore a thick sweater under it ... It's not snug anymore! **WHOOT!** :D:

You know, you've gotten me to thinking ... I think I'll take my fasting sugar with the Old JBT's thingee in the morning ... just to see ... I have more markers to become diabetic than he did ... Boy was he NOT happy to learn about that! :p

Reactions: TXplowgirl
#63 ·
TXplowgirl, thanks for this thread. It's helped me make the necessary shift into better health. I gave up my evening wine habit and have replaced with a raw diet of salad as the main meal and snacking on grapes and melons. Yeah, melons are imported from Guatemala but with their high water content they should be good for cleansing and I like them heavily salted.

Celtic salt is on order and I've been drinking 96 oz of filtered water divided into 24 oz jars with 1/4 tsp of sea salt in each. Celtic is the best but all I have on hand is the grocery store variety sea salt so that's what I'm using. Real Salt (Redmond from Utah) is supposed to be good but I'm too lazy to drive into town again to see if Target or HEB actually has it in stock.

Bottom line: 2.5 lb loss in 5 days. Probably water but I care not a whit. I'm on the mend.

#65 ·
Ok, so I went to work on adding in some quality protein ... had a pan-fried pork chop (no fat on it) and then sauteed some cabbage and Apple to go with it.

Did some reading and the minimum grams of protein I should be getting is approximately 50 grams ... I'm WAY WAY WAY under that because I'm not a big meat or dairy eater ... well, unless it's bacon or ice cream ... :rolleyes: so ...

I'm gonna toss a 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt in each of my two smoothies a day ... and eat enough lean pork or chicken, maybe a small steak from time to time, with a salad or some kind of veggie, every day ... to get me to 50 to 75 grams a daily ...

Reactions: TXplowgirl
#66 ·
Woke up this morning and weighed myself. 195.4 and blood sugar was 99.

I had a juice of 2 carrots, half a sweet potato, 2 celery sticks, 1 apple and 1 half a cucumber.

Drank 1 8 oz glass of water then I had another 8oz glass of water mixed with lemon and coconut water. Lemon is supposed to help with getting the metabolism going and coconut water is supposed to be able to help with food cravings.

Then an hour or so later had a banana.

Had another juice of 3 spinach leaves, 2 kale leaves, a half inch piece of ginger, half a cucumber, an apple, 2 carrots and a quarter of a sliced yellow bell pepper. This 1 was so so. but drinkable, I don't know if i'll have that particular concoction again though.

So, 11 days and I've been sick a few of those days and cheated. Started at 198.6 and this morning I weighed 195.4. total of 3.2 lbs lost. Not good. I gotta knuckle down and get a little bit stricter with my cheating. Then again, that is right about 1.6 lbs a week. So, it is ok, because that's better than not losing any.

#68 ·
That's really not a bad rate of loss. As long as you continue on this path all you need is time. I was diagnosed as diabetic type 2 in november. Since then I've cut out all beer, soda and ice cream (my dietary vices) and went from sweet tea to unsweet (how tragic that as a southerner I should be reduced to drinking unsweet tea). At last count I've lost 26 pounds. Can't wait till my next a1c.

#67 ·
WOOT!!!! 1.6 pounds a week is nothing to be ashamed of. Also, don't beat yourself up about cheating now and then. In my experience if I shackle myself to tightly to a regimen I start resenting the process, and DW tires of a strict diet even quicker than I do. Give yourself some latitude and don't worry about relaxing the process now and again. You're seeing results, and as long as the weight is coming off you're going in the right direction.

#69 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I know it's good, I guess i'm in that stage of I WANT THIS NOW!!:D: I'm trying to transition to a mostly, oh my lord, I can't believe i'm gonna say this, vegetarian lifestyle. :eek:

I'm still going to eat fish and maybe a roast or steak every great once in a while. But mainly juicing and raw veggies, fruits and nuts. Because in this last week and a half my head is clearer, I don't have as much brain fog and i'm not hurting as much anymore. Except when I had that cheeseburger and fries the other day. Oh boy, that was a bad 2 days there. Now, if it would help my sleeping i'd be doing perfect.

#70 ·
Thanks guys, I know it's good, I guess i'm in that stage of I WANT THIS NOW!!:D: I'm trying to transition to a mostly, oh my lord, I can't believe i'm gonna say this, vegetarian lifestyle. :eek:

I'm still going to eat fish and maybe a roast or steak every great once in a while. But mainly juicing and raw veggies, fruits and nuts. Because in this last week and a half my head is clearer, I don't have as much brain fog and i'm not hurting hardly anymore. Except when I had that cheeseburger and fries the other day. Oh boy, that was a bad 2 days there. Now, if it would help my sleeping i'd be doing perfect.
Gonna be started on that path myself soon. I just finished reading Green for Life by Victoria Boutenko, I really recommend you read it.

#72 ·
Ok, today was my day to fall off the wagon ... :( No excuses. .. I just didn't have it in me today ...

Tomorrow I'll climb back up there ... I'm off to get some scales tomorrow. I'd have gone before now but my meds make me way too unsteady to be driving when I've been hurting ... and I've hurt a lot this week ...

That will lighten up next week, I think ... really active weather patterns are rough on me ...

#73 ·
Ok, I'm back on the straight and narrow ... :p

There's a little bag of M&Ms here SCREAMING my name ... lol ... I'm NOT giving in, though ... they are there for my next "off" day ... next Sunday ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.