Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Fiddler, got it. Thanks!

I'm not a PVC expert, but it comes in different thicknesses. I don't know if 1 1/2" comes in schedule 40, but the thicker pipe should do fine. I can see how some of the thin wall type could loosen it's grip on the brads.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 PM

One of the great things about internet forums is that you can insult people with absolutely no fear of instant physical retribution.
Party on, Garth! But hey, try to keep the noise down because your mom is trying to sleep upstairs, okay?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fiddler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,682 Posts

There are many grades of PVC starting with 200 psi this is for plumbing in houses it is also referred to as thin wall. Next is schedule 40 it is quite a bit thicker then 200 psi close to twice as thick looking at the wall thickness. There is schedule 80 which is rated for putting submersible pumps several hundred feet down a well...( 380 feet on a 1 1/4" diameter pipe and a 1 1/2 horse pump is what I have ) Schedule 80 also has some sun resistant proprieties to it an is used in electrical applications like a Weather header for a Power meter. I have heard of Schedule 120 but have not been around any.

Reading this project I would use schedule 40 or 80.
Which brings a question...

Would screws work over brand nails???
The screws would not loosen up...
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Prepared

I'll bet decking screws would do just fine. They sure stick your fingers if you try to pick them up wrong.

I've used them to assemble hog pipes & they hold well.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Trapper

I have seen these types of traps made in various ways, and they do work. There are also ones on the market that are made in this style, but I'm sure its cheaper to make them with stuff you can scrounge. A buddy of mine had coons in his barn we wanted to catch live. I took a 55 gallon plastic barrel that was wider around the middle that the top was. I put some corn and dog food in the bottom and a board as a ramp going to the top. The coons would walk up the board, drop into the barrel to eat, then couldn't get back out. Simple.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 AM

Sorry I lost my temper.
I guess I allow myself to get suckered into internet ****ing contests too easily.
Since none of my tropical fruit trees have borne fruit for several months, the coons haven't been causing any problems here. I generally don't make war on wildlife until they start trouble. However, my loquat tree now has fruit ripening, so the coons will soon begin their annual assault.
I'll set one of these traps and photograph and post the results.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fiddler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Prepared

I'm going to try to make a couple today.

Fiddler, the problem with message boards (and any social media for that matter) is we lose the effect of facial expressions, tone, and other non-verbal human communication methods. Even worse, I've noticed the younger generation is losing their ability to socialize in that manner. People who seem lively and energetic in their posts are dull tools and at a loss for words in person.

How would you warn those people not to stick their fingers in a coon trap without a YouTube video? They'd be stuck.

Last edited by donswin; 01-29-2013 at 01:06 PM..