Survivalist Forum banner

Glock gen 3 vs gen 4?

96K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  Gators52__20 
#1 ·
whats the difference? Is it just the dual rate spring and interchangeable back grips? I am looking to get anther one had a g19 miss it. But i would be changing the firing pin and recoil springs to the titanium ones. So should i just get the cheaper gen 3?

#2 ·
Gen 4 uses the double-coil recoil spring assembly (RSA) and does, as you mention, have the interchangeable backstraps. There are some minor differences in the slides between the Gen 1-3 and the Gen 4.

I like the Gen 4, but the Gen 3 is tough to beat. It's cheaper and well-tested, not to mention there are a lot of after-market options out there. Were it me, I'd probably just buy the Gen 3, altho I'm a Gen 2 guy for the most part. But nice Gen 2 G19s aren't easy to find.

As a Glock Armorer, I would advise against changing your RSA to an after-market one. I have seen quite a few folks have issues with reliability once they played with the spring rate. Stay as close to stock weight on the spring weight as possible if you insist on an after-market RSA.

BTW, the G19 is one of my favorites! Good luck! :thumb:

Reactions: drobs and gamthos
#4 ·
The Gen 4 slide will not interchange with the previous models. No major changes. Functionally they are the same, but the Gen 4 accomodates the dual recoil spring assy.

Yes, there are aftermarket dual-coil spring assemblies for the Gen 1-3, like the EFK in the link below. I really can't recommend anything but stock when it comes to RSAs. I have seen too many that created functioning issues.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7683/Product/DUAL-ACTION-BUFFER-SPRING-for-GLOCK-reg-

#10 ·
I just picked up my first Gen 4. (Model 26, also my first stock 9mm). It has a larger mag release than my Gen 3 Model 27. I also noticed that the grip walls are thinner on the sides than my Gen 3. For some reason, it seems to be a little harder to break down than my Gen 3's (I have bought Gen 3's for almost all of my sons and the Gen 4 will go to my son-in-law eventually.) It was also a little harder to put back together as the new spring will slip down sometimes during reassembly.

#13 ·
Gen 4 has had a recall and a increase in manufactureing issues (being a marked up in numbers although still within industry numbers). Gen 2 which I love mine for the same reason as Paladin, had more problems then the Gen 3 which seems to hold the prize for reliability when it comes to Glock. Glock has down played the issues, but frankly the numbers are high enough to worry in most cases just check the recalls and you should be good to go with Gen2 & 3, as for 4 I still hesitate with the increase in issues, but still seem to be a good pistol.

#14 ·
I stick with the Gen 3 Glocks myself. They are truly proven while the Gen 4's have yet to earn that reputation. Even with the "impovements" of the Gen 4 series I still prefer the Gen 3 models due to the simplicity. In this test, these guys fired 1,000 rounds in less than 15 minutes in a Gen 3 Glock 19. By the end, the recoil spring guide was melted but the gun still fired. Spare Gen 3 recoil spring assemblies only cost a few bucks anyway.

#17 ·
I just bought a 4th gen G23 today to go along with the 3rd gen G22 I've had for a while. Cant wait to take it to the range to see if there's a notable difference in the recoil. The 23 is the ideal size for me for CCW and if it proves reliable after a few range trips, it'll replace my HK as a new EDC gun.

#18 ·
I carried a gen2 23 with trijicon night sights for years and loved it. I picked up the gen4 23 at a gun show and loved the feel even more. I added the night sights to feel at home again but also found i didnt like the trigger. It felt like there was a bump or something, so i had the trigger spring and connector changed and feels great. I also had to sand a small area of the trigger guard as it rubbed on my middle finger.

My roommate had a gen3 19 and i really liked it so bought a gen4 19 and the thing had issues with rounds not ejecting or seating right so leaving the slide open after about 10+ rounds, then went to every round. Sent out to glock and they fixed but cases are still flying out at different angles but seems to not be ok other than that.

All that said, i do love my gen4 23 but had to put money into a new gun and the other was a timely, costly, repair to a new gun so id say feel both and if you can handle the fatter grip, id get the gen 2 or 3. Avoid the possibility of a gen 4 issue.

#21 ·
I have a gen 4 19 and have yet to have an issue with it. It's been a perfect firearm
Doesn't surprise me. The Gen 4 has been maligned on the internet so badly by people just repeating "stories" of unreliability that some think the pistol is plagued with bugs. The majority of these stories are nothing more than "my brother's uncle's neighbor's cousin's aunt has a Gen 4 and it sucks!"

The overwhelming number of issues were with lighter 115gr loads. The initial recoil spring was a tad too heavy. Glock immediately issued a recall on the RSA and fixed that issue. The only other issue that I am aware of is a few owners reporting brass ejecting back toward their face. So, Glock has been replacing some early Gen 4 ejector housings as well.

Other than that, the Gen 4 is an outstanding firearm. If anyone has an issue with a Gen 4, you can rest assured Glock, Inc. will make it right. They have one of the most admired customer service sections in the industry. :thumb:

Reactions: gbm75
#22 ·
I took my new G23 Gen 4 out to the range the other day. 300rds of assorted brands including cheap FMJs and some premium JHPs. No hiccups, no brass to face. Recoil was way more manageable than I thought itd be. Safe to say I found my new CCW!

I initially bought into the internet hype and figured Id stay with the gen 3. But I just had to find out for myself and took the plunge. Definitely dont regret it now.

#29 ·
You can't go wrong with a 3rd Gen G22. Being a used pistol, I'd recommend buying and installing new springs in it (or better yet, having a Glock Armorer install), because you have no way of knowing what the round count on the pistol is. At the very least, put a new recoil spring assembly in. You can get the springs here:

http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=126609&CAT=741

#38 ·
I hate to say it, but that's in your head. There is not any discernible difference between the Gen 4 (w/ the dual spring RSA) and the Gen 3 (with the standard RSA). That's the only beef I have with the Gen 4. Glock touted the new RSA as the greatest thing since sliced bread, and so a lot of folks were disappointed when they felt no difference. Even a certain Glock regional rep (that will remain un-named) at the Armorer's Course agreed with my assessment of the RSA on the Gen 4. Glock just over-hyped it...

Reactions: WarlordG26
#36 ·
The Gen 4's are awesome. The Gen 4 platform compliments the 40 and 45 calibre range and I would think it will be the same in .357 sig and 10 mm as well. A bit of over engineering for the 9mm platform which I wouldn't see as a negative. All my current Glocks are Gen 3's. I went the Gen 3 plus night sights route , because I bought at a budget. Here in SA a Gen 3 with decent sights is the same price as a Gen 4. All my Glocks are equipped with Warren Tactical sights. The 26 and 19 Warren Tactical nights sights and my 17 Warren Tactical Fibre optic front sight and plain black at the back. The past 3 years I have seen many Gen 3's and Gen 4's in action and all of them performed flawless. My 3 Glocks have stuck up to their reputation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.