Survivalist Forum banner

Using Stored Water Question

3K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  rule4 
#1 ·
So I've had lots of tap water stored in big Arizona tea jugs in a spare room. Recently I discovered some algae in a couple of the containers, and you folks told me I should be putting 8 drops of bleach in each jug, and storing in darkness.

But I read somewhere that after you've added bleach to the water, it shouldn't be used for about 6 months.

My question: should I be storing a separate unbleached batch for use if a need arose in the short term?

thanks!

#2 ·
I just stored four 7 gallon aquatainers of water so I'm curious to hear the answer. I have municipal water so treating it with chlorine wasn't necessary but I did it anyway. I've read that the chlorine smell/taste goes away after a few days but I have zero experience purifying water.

#4 ·
Sounds like the advice I've been giving.

I suggest using bleach for most of your storage anyway. 6 months is the optimal time but it still won't be real bad for you if you use it sooner. Then having a much smaller storage group that you rotate out on a monthly basis that is untreated. Just use the stored untreated water on gardening or for making meals that use a lot of water, like pasta boiling and soups.

You also have the option to use oxygen stabilizer too. It's a form of hydrogen peroxide. Definitely more expensive than bleach but if only used on a smaller group aimed for short term use then you can contain the cost. Others have mentioned using it here so I expect someone will recommend their favorite brand.

Reactions: TobyDog
#5 ·
First, most algae is harmless vegetables, especially those growing in previously treated water like municipal tap water. Still that's info for emergencies with no choices left. If you know your stored water is growing, replace it.

Second, you can't say 8 drops per jug. It depends on the size of the jug! Look up the right amount, I think it's something like a half teaspoon per 5 gals. Like I said, look it up. Red Cross has it, as do other orgs like World Health, even Boy Scouts.

Next, make sure your jugs are not being exposed to sunlight, even diffused like through curtains. Most algae won't bloom without it.

Finally, you're waiting 5 to 10 minutes for the bleach to kill germs (depending on how clean or dirty the water is). If it's starting out as pretty clean water the minimum wait time will do. If you find you get diarrhea and intestinal problems you are sensitive to the bleach killing off your gut flora. Pour treated water into a wide mouthed container (bowl or pot) and let it set several hours for the chlorine to off-gas (chlorine is naturally a gas. It has been forced into liquid or solid form by modern technology. It will dissipate back into gas if left open.)

#6 ·
Second, you can't say 8 drops per jug. It depends on the size of the jug!
He said Arizona tea jugs. Those are a well known and recommended storage option here. They are 1 gallon.

8gtt or 8 drops is the CDC recommended standard for sanitizing and storing clear water.

Double that amount for sanitizing raw cloudy water.

In both cases let rest at least one hour capped for the sanitizing to properly happen.

If you are using household strength bleach as your chlorine option the bleach will break down completely into salt and water inside of six months, but as long as the container stays sealed it will not start new growth once treated.

TobyDog got the numbers right this time.

As for the safety of properly treated water it's a matter of degrees. As an oxidizer the bleach is a very minor toxin at that concentration. At a lower level of consumption, chlorine is an essential nutrient and the body has mechanisms to deal with modest excess. As a risk it compares to almost nothing when weighed against hydration needs. But everyone should do whatever is reasonably possible to avoid toxin risks. So drink it right after treatment if you must.

A good comparison would be a city smog alert. When they happen you should try to restrict outside activities where possible, but plenty of folks still have to go to work anyway. Your boss won't like you calling in absent at every smog alert. Go to work. Keep your job.

Drink the treated water if that's what you have. Better to use the ones treated long ago than the one treated today.

At some point TobyDog will likely have a lot of filled Arizona jugs. Then it won't matter anymore because there will be enough older ones in rotation that this minor chlorine risk will not be a worry.

Nothing wrong with your aeration advice though. That mirrors what I say too.

Tobydog, as for using hydrogen peroxide to purify water the standard is 1 fluid ounce (2 tablespoons) per gallon. That assumes "normal household strength" of 3%. Only problem is that it isn't food grade that you buy in drug stores. Looking up food grade versions you will note they tend to come in much stronger versions. 35% strength seems to be the most common. Which means you will need to reduce the amount to just one tenth of an ounce (~3ml). You could use the drug store stuff in an emergency if you were out of other sanitizers, but since you can buy food grade now then that should be the right choice while you can still buy it.

#8 ·
What I'm happy to see is that lately I've seen more folks debate the details, while for the most part they have the basics down.

Time was last year I wouldn't correct BabyBlue. BB still got a lot right and back then I'd be too busy flailing away at the yahoos telling everyone that creek water was fine as-is or that everyone needs to have a colloidal silver enema to solve their problems. I'd have no time to mess with mostly correct posts. I was willing to take an almost win in the face of so many egregious other posts.

I still see some pretty stupid posts on water safety pop up, but the count is starting to drop, and good posts are rising.

You guys keep learning and putting up good info posts and I promise my snark level will subside a lot. ;)

#11 ·
First of all, great insight.

I've been debating a proper storage container. I have no problem keeping it in pitch-black conditions, and with an even temperature, if that matters (basically underground). What I'm asking is would be be better to have a larger tank, say several thousands gallons, or WORSE having a larger tank? This would be strictly drinking water (we have a large group). Thanks in advance.

#12 ·
The only downsides to bigger containers are the obvious ones.

They are more expensive, take up more space, are harder to clean, you have to pump it out, etc.

#13 ·
So basically, if cost wasn't a concern, and maybe space as well, you'd still opt for smaller containers? Is there an "optimal" size you'd recommend?

#14 ·
I didn't say that at all.

More saved water is more saved water. Smaller containers have their own logistical problems as well.

There is no universal optimal size. Everybody has different situations to deal with.

Reactions: goodfoot
#16 ·
I fell in love with Arizona tea jugs . . . until I dropped one.
Split in half right down the seam ! ! !

And ordinary tap water in most locations is so treated & full of chemicals that it lasts a LONG time. Don't believe it? Ask your local Baker.
Modern tap water kills yeast cells so much that good Bakers use bottle distilled water instead. Otherwise the dough barely rises.

Good info here, thanks.

#17 ·
Empty or full? How far was the drop?

Anything more than from about 3 feet would be a lot of stress on a jug full of about 8 liquid pounds of water.

Just about anything but a super thick container would be at risk if that happened. That water acts like a big deadblow hammer inside.

I'd even be worried about an Aquatainer or WaterBrick hitting the ground at 3 feet if it were full. Depends how it lands too.

As for tap water, you are generally right, but it's best not to be 100% sure. Utility companies supply almost 300 million people in the US with water from 45,000 different utilities. Even if 99% get well treated water that still leaves millions who aren't properly supplied. Water is just too important to trust a municipal report.

Add 8 drops of household strength bleach per stored gallon to all municipally supplied water. It's dirt cheap and within a few months most or all of the bleach has broken down into plain salt and water. As long as the seal remains tight that water will remain safe indefinitely.

#18 ·
Just don't drop the things and they withstand a lot! Not too many one gallon store purchased drink containers can be dropped with contents inside and survive a hard thud on the ground. Arizona jugs are probably the most durable reusable drink container that fits proper storage guidelines available... That I have came across anyway.

#19 ·
Eh, it's just realism, NJ. I get what you're saying. And Zeke, for that matter.:)

I'll shoot for the largest storage container I can get, and deal with the shortcomings as needed. My plan is to prepare to long-term "hunker down".

#20 ·
If you have the garage space for something the size of a standard pallet then check with food packers and soda bottlers to see if you can mooch or buy a used food grade IBC tote.

Reactions: Hammerstrike
#23 ·
If it's tap water from the city, it's already treated. Just jug it and keep it stored away in the darkest, coolest spot you have. For added measure, cover them with some black plastic you can get at the hardware store on rolls. This will help with preventing light exposure. It takes very little to grow algae.

#24 ·
If it's tap water from the city, it's already treated.
Often isn't always. Ask the people in Flint. Better to be absolutely sure about it when the solution is cheap and easy.

#28 ·
I got a room already set up that's PITCH-BLACK. No windows, or indirect light from a doorway, nada. Especially now that I've learned a bit more about the need to keep the light out, I can manage it I think.;)

Reactions: IamZeke
#29 ·
Just go visit the dock area of one of those plants and humbly ask for one. Offer to pay cash or flash a couple low value Walmart gift cards. Be willing to go fetch in the refuse pile and dress appropriately. Do not expect any labor help and come with a pickup that can handle it. Humble, friendly, casual, willing to do the dirty fetching, and haul it off. All you want from them is their blessing. Then get it done fast before some office jerk wanders out and asks questions. The dock foreman is the guy you want to get with first. Park close enough to watch the dock to try figure out who is running the dock, but don't block truck, foot, or forklift traffic. Then put on your very best "my daughter is selling girl scout cookies" attitude and step smartly up to the someone who looks like they have some authority there at the back door.

If it goes smoothly then ask if you can drop by next month to check again. If not then look for another local bottlers or food packer in the area. If you feel it will help then mention it help's your kid's school project. Then find something at the local school to donate $20 so you aren't really lying. With 2 of them stacked in your garage you have at least 500 gallons of stored water. That's 4 months of hydration and cooking water for a family of four.

Please note that if your intention is for indoor storage they likely won't fit through a standard door frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.