Updated "The Soldier's Son"--A Post-Apocalyptic Story of Survival, and Revenge - Page 92 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survival Acronyms Updated JayOlliver Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 12-27-2012 11:59 PM
UPDATED: GreyWorld - The SHTF Fiction Story by JaySlay Lucas_SurvivalCach Urban Survival 24 10-21-2012 08:32 PM
Suggest some good post apocalyptic survival fiction Tarik Books, Movies & Stories 36 10-10-2012 01:19 PM
Survival Laundry Equipment Updated & Revised 411man Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 01-10-2011 11:22 PM
Second amendment not revenge, but survival. cowboy56 General Discussion 4 05-27-2010 11:22 PM
A cool story about a Soldier superdeluxe General Discussion 0 11-11-2009 05:06 PM
Pop star dies, tears everywhere, soldier returned, one line story! DareToThink General Discussion 10 10-17-2009 12:12 PM
anyone purchase the new updated sas survival handbook??? coldworld Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 03-25-2009 05:56 PM

Old 01-21-2017, 05:42 PM
Hakham Bashi

Thanked 9,628 Times in 2,170 Posts
Lightbulb reflections on comments

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboypapa View Post
Tort- i cant help but notice that most of the time you are so, how do i put it delicately? SMART, thats it. Lately though, i cant help but wonder if my presence has corrupted you (god knows ive tried), or if its just seeming so due to my "inhaling". The psychadelia artwork does tend to help me focus though.
Cowboypapa-
You presence has been refreshing and enjoyable. You have not corrupted me as I was corrupted long before you came into my radar!

I am just your run-of-the-mill Smart Ass, (but don't try what I do at home since I am a professional!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledPatriot;
I have tried to think deeply as some here (tortminder) But I am not quite, yet, as adept at thinking around corners. This tale showed me the beginning of the way of thinking deeply in today's times.

I have held back from speaking for so long from some sense of not having the right to do so, being so new on the boards, and in the company of so many wise people. But I don't wish to miss my chance to be SOME part of it, even if I haven't been here from the beginning. Some events only happen once.
DisgruntledPatriot-
A kind and caring post for which you are to be greatly thanked. We all bring our various gifts and talents to this thread and all are valuable and worthy.

You flatter me with calling me a deep thinker. I believe DC is closer to the truth when he says I'm an "assembler" or a librarian. I don't think around corners as much as I look through a glass, darkly.

Please continue to share your thoughts with us.

-tort-
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tortminder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,298 Posts

Well, thats a twist.
And then some.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DWwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 07:00 PM
Bazinga!

Thanked 1,772 Times in 733 Posts

Every update your world grows a little bigger, the characters get a little deeper and the story twists around a bit more... you know your stuff DC
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad-max For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 07:17 PM
Target Shooter

Ya see now id a done done it afore doin the 'rithmetic!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboypapa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 07:19 PM
MAGA

Thanked 6,301 Times in 1,544 Posts

Once again Great work DC.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harbinger1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 07:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,669 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortminder View Post
htfiremedic-

I ran across something that might be of interest...

34 acres on the top of a mountain in southwest Missouri. No structures currently on land. Well on property. All weather creek runs through one corner.

$92,500 asking price...

(I have no personal involvement in this property... just passing info along FWIW).

Listing agent

-tort-

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to htfiremedic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,669 Times in 778 Posts

Emailed about the TN plat.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to htfiremedic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 08:04 PM
Hakham Bashi

Thanked 9,628 Times in 2,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfiremedic View Post
Emailed about the TN plat.
PM sent
-tort-
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tortminder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 08:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,298 Posts

I thought that the interaction between Byron and Michael when the freight train that is Maria was moving full throttle at them was hilarious.
Especially since Byron aint no small guy to begin with ( IIRC ).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DWwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Over here !!

Ok ummm WOW. This threw me completly. On one hand I didn't see that coming on the other I'm how did I miss that?

The perfect amout of information with just a hint of distraction and well, WOW!
Now I'm wondering what else I've missed.

I love a story like this written by a great wordsmith with a definite purpose is always a joy to read.

Being Australian it can sometimes difficult to engage on sites like this. Our political structure is so diffrent but still intertwined. Our huge diffrence is with weapons. I can't get into the finer points of an AK or an AR15 as they arn't available to me so while I have a little bit of an idea the majoroty of information is surplus to my needs. Even long term foods are diffrent. While I can get almost anything you can my price is almost double as its special order. There are a few of our own importers and manufactures but nowhere near what you guys have.
This thread has allowed me to engage and interact with some great minds and I envy the closeness that comes with being within a distance that makes meeting a possoibility.

So thank you to DC and Tort and 2Med and everyone else that entertains my little attempts to fit in
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scruffy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 09:16 PM
Prepared

Thanked 8,070 Times in 304 Posts
Default Comments--

GENERAL NOTE: fiddling with cover, watching Amazon, update very soon,
publication not far away...yes, this will be 'done' and then on to the next.
Very much appreciate patience--I am also surprised at how much 'house-
keeping' chores there are on formatting a 600 page book--titling chapters
and lay-out etc. affects reading experience--working on these issues now.

--cowboypapa, three typhoons below deck--ouch. Plank-owner--interesting--a subtle point, but eventually important: anyone who gets here, reads thread, contributes ANYTHING, is a kind of plank-owner, this will change post publication, even if at a small level, my intention is to direct readers to these threads. I promise you we will see our first real 'dissonance' at that time, I will have some notes, those notes will evolve over time. I advise us to watch the 'new voices' closely. Nuff said at this time.

--cowboypapa I promise you that it will all come together--this story is/was designed from the very beginning to 'compress' as much meaning/layers as possible into ALL CHARACTERS/EVENTS/BACKGROUND/ETC. Having 'compression' as a specific intention absolutely essential to this kind of story.
Cannot occur accidentally. Yes, tort max smart, many smart people here in many ways. Nobody will make it to the end of this thread without some...pretty interesting qualifications. Not an accident, more later and forever on this subject.

--tort beautiful property and a question: as someone who used to roam quite a bit I have developed a considerable aversion to bugs. Poisonous, disease-ridden, and etc. I exclude only...butterflies...ok, dragonfliess...ok, grasshoppers...now, how about ticks? I loathe ticks, and tick borne diseases. How many ticks about in all that beautiful green?

--aha and the same for Tennessee. A pox on all ticks!

--tortminder absolutey on cowboyP and whatever corruption exists here took place long ago! And thank you for comment Disgruntled which is/was a beautiful text for future study--and Disgruntled and all tort is doing stuff I both 1. Cannot do myself and 2. Will never have the time to do. And 3. This text is intended to attract the tort in all of us, and give us all a chance to see a tort, there are not many, and they are usually busy in dusty old libraries, translating incomprehensible texts into other incomprehensible texts.

--"see reflections" yes indeed.

--DWwolf, many more twists to come--that was a big one, and also twisty back and forth through rest of story--

--Nomad/M yes this is a big big story. I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO THIS AGAIN. In other words, once a story is written like this, in a genre, and associated with the genre, and the author, the readers will 'expect' the twist, makes the twist impossible to 'set-up'--also there are 'not that many twists' AVAILABLE in the world, or the world of story-telling. I cite the example of "The Sixth Sense"--the writer/director will never match it, and never has, and never will. Issue of genre, audience expectation, many other things.
Injured Reserves was my first and only experiment in "peak compression of meaning"--but no 'twists'--Soldier's Son is my only experiment in compression plus twists/reversals--there are no other 'constructions' available in this genre that I can see--other stories will be 'layered/compressed' but are unlikely to have this level of cascading 'reveals.'

--cowbyP need more on arithmetic--

--harbinger good to see you and thank you and more on the way.

--and make sure tort kills all the ticks! Or argues them on to an adjacent property, never to return!

--DWwolf yes stopping Maria not a trick for the shy or indecisive.

--scruffy--didn't see it coming but how did you miss--? Understand that is/was exactly my purpose--reveals of complexity, story layers, character, everything has to fit, for the ending to be both 1. Inevitable and 2. Unexpected.--Very very hard to do. I think if you review other books/films/stories that pulled this off, you will not find many. I have one other story, different genre, where I can do a version of this. Maybe someday.

--scruffy understood on Aus. and culture/weapons etc. Very very sorry about certain events last few decades in Aus. I have a very dim view of certain happenings there over last decades--I will not share at this time--but for those who are 'deeply concerned' about certain patterns--I would like to remind them that Aus. is UNIQUE in the world, OTHER THAN THE U.S., as an
Anglo/Christian/FRONTIER society, geographically isolated and significantly
'INDEPENDENT' in spirit. There were only two of us, that fit certain criteria.
Nuff said at this time. Good to see you, scruffy.

Ok back to work, update soon.

DCB
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DCBourone For This Useful Post: