Survivalist Forum banner
44K views 131 replies 111 participants last post by  PAPrep99 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
What kind of bug out bag (BOB) are you using?

Backpack, dufflebag, or something else.

The one I use is my companies bullet resistant backpack (level IIIa).

The panel only adds 20 ounces additional weight.

My wife's has a smaller backpack and adds our stand alone panel (level IIIa) into it, making her backpack "bulletproof" (not the correct word, but easier to understand).

Of my 2 kids, one uses the smaller backpack we have and one uses a junior sized stand alone panel.

I also have 4 bullet resistant vests (executive level IIIa) in my duffle that I would throw in the BOV if we're leaving.

This may sound like SPAM, but;

Attachments

See less See more
#59 ·
Military looking backpacks arouses suspicion, causes fear, attracts law enforcement wanting to search you for weapons, etc.

I have something like this with an internal frame that's ergonomic and holds a ton of stuff.

I'd rather look like I'm a hiker and such.

#63 ·
It depends on your location. A military pack here would not be out of place whatsoever. And being a college city, neither would a large book bag or computer bag. A hiking pack would stand out like a turd in a punchbowl and scream "I'm full of goodies!".

Everyone needs to take a critical look around them and see what people are carrying, how they dress, etc. Blend in, don't stand out. What works in one place doesn't work in another. For example, cammo clothes would not be out of place here whatsoever. In other cities, it would stand out immensely.

#65 ·
Alice pack, for me . have 2. My problem is over stuffing .
I can't carry the loads I use to .
Haven't yet figured out how to get the welder and lathe in the pack as well and oh there is the 3,000 lbs of hand tools and other eqiuipment , only so much space , what do you leave behind?
After watching this current rain storm wash out so much and the land is soaked unmercifuly, got me to thinking ,may be that's why we stopped living in tents a long time ago .
Trying to survive on what you can cary alone, might not be such a good idea.
A lot of you are going for the litest tent or back pack or toys inside ,but the lite stuff is not usualy the most durable , and the multi utility tool, once broken, is junk because the pivotal piece the tool hndges on, has taken a beating.
Like being a good mechanic you use the right tool for the job , using the wrong tool spoils both the tool and the product. In survival one's best is required , not what will or MIGHT work in a pinch.
I am as guilty of this as the next guy, but a good question might be am I preping to merely servive? or do I plan to live ?

#66 ·
I am currently rolling with a Kelty Map 3500...... Love that bag. Its my current Get Home Bag I am keeping in my car.... The website says 1900ci capacity, the tags say 3500ci... It's more like 3000-3500ci range.... It's got a ton of room and organization. Can also carry a 100oz hydration bladder. The Seals use them so they must be decent...

#103 ·
I just ordered one of these in Ocean Gray...Can't wait to get it...It will be replacing a Maxped Condor II that I got back in June 2011...The Condor II is nice and I have purchased a 12x5, 10x4 and a mini Rolly all in Foliage green my problem is that it is WAY to small and I had to purchase all of these additional pouches to gain more storage...I'm really hoping that the MAP 3500 will take care of my storage problem and I will be able to sell off the Condor II soon to buy more gear...

#69 ·
I've switched to kinda not having a "BOB" but i have a get home truck bag. 1 large duffel with a good amount of survival gear (to much to list), another large empty duffel stuffed between my gun safe and the wall for me to dump as much as i can into as i can if i need to. and a 1 backpack and 1 small pouch for my hip. I have a nice vest but i dont think i'll wear it cause its not very comfy to move in.

#74 ·
i got a maxpedition vulture II so glad i love it. it stays pretty centered on my back and it seems like its big enough for what i wanna do. im making more of a multiuse survival bag. gonna have alot of things that can be used for multiple things so i can save on weight and have things that will help me long term not just 3-5 days.

#77 ·
I have a surplus molle 2 rat patrol pack in woodland camo no concerns about being stopped or searched as I don't really plan on going through any checkpoints, or walking with the masses of sheeple. The keep a low profile and stay out of sight thing is very important,escape and evade is the key.

#79 ·
What if almost everything is destroyed, including your home, your stash, everything? What if you need to go to some government installation to get aid in terms of food, medicine, etc? Even if you live like the Unibomber, you'll still sooner or later run into law enforcement, etc.

But you can do everything that you proposed above with a low key, civilian looking pack rather than looking like Rambo running around in the woods.

#78 ·
For a BOB to get me to my BOL, I am using a USMC ILBE. Currently I just have the main pack, but the assault pack that docks to it is due in in a couple of days.

This pack is very similar to the Arc Teryx Bora 80 but with the Marpat camo. It has a lot of civvy stuff attached to it so very little of the camo shows. Besides it a rather subdued camo pattern.

If I am bugging out in a car and am at home, I have additional stuff (more MREs, etc) packed in a CFP-90 and a Molle II that I can grab and throw in it.

#81 ·
Consider a large pack with a small one inside. I like my lg alice. Small one inside has all you HAVE to have, kinda a bail out last ditch scenario, grab, drop excess baggage, and go. Can restock stuff from the big pack, and everything you need for a one time use is in one place. Mil or civy, from what bit I've been in personally, when it all goes to sh!t, too much to do, nobody cares about you as long as you keep quiet, and keep moving...

#87 ·
ILBE, w/coyo TAD fast edc pack(e&e, sar, sentry, etc), & coyo M3 Med/Trauma Pack both attached via molle to the outside of the ILBE, and as mentioned earlier, there isn't much digi-cam to see once the exterior has the sleep roll, the sleep system, & the tent attached.

I (Suzy) have a TT MALICE in coyo, & carry a 500ml IV and setup behind my kidney belt on the frame. Both packs have a 3L water sys & line.

#96 ·
Molle pack La Gear..

I bought one of these and just received it today. I was very impressed by the durable material and the size. It will be perfect size for all of the stuff i have. I plan on getting some Molle pouches for water, mags, and whatever else. Once i packed my husbands B.O.B he put it on and said it was very comfortable. Awesome pack for $29 bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.