Survivalist Forum banner

Seine-Net Fishing For Survival? Or Fish Trap?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  paramilusmc 
#1 ·
What do you guys think about using a seine net for maximizing fish per hour? I was thinking two people could hit the rivers/lake bends and shallows and walk it back to shore... would be rather quick way of getting in and out as quickly as possible to limit being out in the open where you could be seen collecting food. Sure you would be pulling up go knows what, but most fish/turtles could be utilized for food or bait etc..

Hoop nets would be a great way to collect fish 24/7, just checking them once a day if you live near a good river/stream where you could force them in at a choke point. However, you run the risk of someone stealing your net or fish.

#3 ·
I have a cast net, and just added fishing tackle, including treble hooks for catching snapping turtles, which are abundant at our bug out retreat. Haven't caught any yet, but plan to in the spring. I was even considering whether it would be practical to go wading and poke around for the hibernating turtles.

Seine nets aren't practical in the boggy beaver ponds in my area. There's nearby rivers, but even then, the fish are going to be in the deeper parts. Along the coast, spot fish are netted using very large nets. I would think if you live near an area where it's feasible, a lake or sound, and you have the boat and gear, it would be reasonable to set out a large net and catch fish. I expect it could even be done with only oars or paddles for propulsion.

#4 ·
I still think YOYOs are more compact, better made and less obvious. A decent size net will take up some space in a net, but three YOYOs wont take up half that space and are really effective. Plus your not using as much energy to set and check them.

Granted, you do have the advantage of not needing bait catching and multiple fish per cast. If you decide to go this route, make sure you know how to repair nets if you get it snagged or torn by something bigger then what your net is rated for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.