This board not secure? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If your plan is to bug in, better make your home really Secure. Hick Industries Urban Survival 96 03-18-2017 06:42 PM
How to make a secure home for bugging in? David Bevis Urban Survival 50 02-05-2017 10:01 AM
Friction Fire Deep_Six Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 52 01-20-2017 10:09 AM
Texas School Board Votes 6-1 to Remove Charlie Brown Bible Verse Ian Treloar General Discussion 11 01-05-2017 05:48 PM
Go to a safe and secure location Olddoggy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 11-20-2016 05:50 PM

Old 03-10-2017, 01:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,255 Times in 3,061 Posts
Default This board not secure?

Advertise Here

today, when I tried to log on, I rec'd a message saying this board was not secure, and to learn more, I was prompted to go here... https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Prote...fox/ta-p/27861

I logged on,but am wondering if I should do something ELSE. it suggests asking administrators to make the forum Secure...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 01:26 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma View Post
today, when I tried to log on, I rec'd a message saying this board was not secure, and to learn more, I was prompted to go here... https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Prote.../27861https://

I logged on,but am wondering if I should do something ELSE. it suggests asking administrators to make the forum Secure...
No site is secure, but this one is the only one I go to that is infected to the point my security is eluded.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,255 Times in 3,061 Posts

it suggested trying to put https:// before the url...that did NOTHING.
The Following User Says Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:

Old 03-10-2017, 01:54 PM
Manipulator of Destiny

Thanked 22,922 Times in 8,368 Posts

I see that the warning is a new feature of Firefox. Reading the link the places you get the warning to be most concerned about are sites where you would be entering purchase information. Though you could also have problems if you have the bad habit of using the same password for all your internet access.

This Forum was hacked in the past and information stolen. (As have many web sites and the Government) Make sure that you do not give out any compromising information.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2017, 02:54 PM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Thanked 65,194 Times in 21,654 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
today, when I tried to log on, I rec'd a message saying this board was not secure, and to learn more, I was prompted to go here... https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Prote...fox/ta-p/27861

It is because the URL is HTTP and not HTTPS.

FireFox is reporting accurate information, SB is NOT a secure site, though most forums are not. Just be VERY careful what you put on here and expect it to be compromised again.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 01:24 PM
Don't start no mess

Thanked 7,311 Times in 2,300 Posts

Chrome browser gives the same warning about this site... not secure. And like grandma pointed out, adding the https does nothing. The recommendation from Chrome, as from FF, is to "contact the site owner to ask that they secure the site and your data with HTTPS." I'd like to hear the site owner's response to this.
Attached Thumbnails
sb not secure.jpg   sb not secure II.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,804 Times in 993 Posts

I access this site exclusively through my iPhone, I have had small problems but nothing a quick reset won't fix.
Also, I figure everything I post is being reviewed by some agency, so I post accordingly. It's probably not (not EVERYTHING...), but that's for safety.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:43 PM

I don't get on here like I used to because of the problem of security. I've had a couple times (once on phone and twice on computer) where it says I got a virus and do not get out of it and to log in someplace and I'm sure it was a scam, I got out of it fine without apparent virus but I don't trust this site too much, afraid of viruses primarily.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:44 PM

I would add that that has only happened on this site, none of the other sites I visit.
The Following User Says Thank You to ozarkian For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Prepared

Quote:
today, when i tried to log on, i rec'd a message saying this board was not secure, and to learn more, i was prompted to go here... https://support.mozilla.org/t5/prote...fox/ta-p/27861

i logged on,but am wondering if i should do something else. It suggests asking administrators to make the forum secure...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkian View Post
i don't get on here like i used to because of the problem of security. I've had a couple times (once on phone and twice on computer) where it says i got a virus and do not get out of it and to log in someplace and i'm sure it was a scam, i got out of it fine without apparent virus but i don't trust this site too much, afraid of viruses primarily.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 PM
Jack of Deplorable Trades

Thanked 6,568 Times in 2,429 Posts

A good enough reason not to upgrade to VIP, I reckon.

My Privacy Badger installation detects ten trackers from the site as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 11:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,843 Times in 4,186 Posts

The warning is triggered simply because the site requires a login, but is not encrypted. It's a message forum, you shouldn't have any sensitive personal information on here anyway. About the worst thing that could happen is that someone could intercept your user id and password and login as you.... which has happened to a lot of people on Facebook, even though it IS "secure" with https.
The browser doesn't know the nature of the site. It just sees a login without https and throws a flag.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Darwath For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 02:28 PM
Prepared

These warnings are going to get more common because there is a push among the top tech companies to require SSL everywhere. It's a good thing to do, and likely should be implemented here for the simple reason of usernames and passwords that get used for multiple sites.
The Following User Says Thank You to swatpup102 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Don't start no mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Darwath View Post
About the worst thing that could happen is that someone could intercept your user id and password and login as you
"HTTPS prevents intruders from being able to passively listen to communications between your websites and your users.

One common misconception about HTTPS is that the only websites that need HTTPS are those that handle sensitive communications. Every unprotected HTTP request can potentially reveal information about the behaviors and identities of your users. Although a single visit to one of your unprotected websites may seem benign, some intruders look at the aggregate browsing activities of your users to make inferences about their behaviors and intentions, and to de-anonymize their identities. For example, employees might inadvertently disclose sensitive health conditions to their employers just by reading unprotected medical articles.

HTTPS helps prevent intruders from tampering with the communications between your websites and your users’ browsers. Intruders include intentionally malicious attackers, and legitimate but intrusive companies, such as ISPs or hotels that inject ads into pages.

Intruders exploit unprotected communications to trick your users into giving up sensitive information or installing malware, or to insert their own advertisements into your resources. For example, some third parties inject advertisements into websites that potentially break user experiences and create security vulnerabilities.

Intruders exploit every unprotected resource that travels between your websites and your users. Images, cookies, scripts, HTML … they’re all exploitable. Intrusions can occur at any point in the network, including a user’s machine, a Wi-Fi hotspot, or a compromised ISP, just to name a few."

- excerpted from Why HTTPS Matters
Old 03-20-2017, 03:36 PM

I am not a tech guy but a very sensitive gov't person advised I respond from email which is gmail but here is where it gets quirky. My email has [email protected] The two dot coms and working on a mac; I have not seen anything unusual. I use to have a expensive encrypted email provider that depending on my subject line took codes and one the way to call them for verication to decrypt all my postings. I do know with 2 *** it seems like I don't get crazy adds or anything odd popping up. Just a thought.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Don't start no mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revision View Post
I'd like to hear the site owner's response to this.
This just in... reply from kev.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 01:26 PM
ISIS causes Global Warmin

Thanked 5,905 Times in 1,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revision View Post
this just in... reply from kev.
not cool dude

HAH... now I get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post: