Land Rovers - any one? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 01:54 AM
Revelations 8's Avatar
Revelations 8 Revelations 8 is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 829
Thanks: 882
Thanked 3,608 Times in 702 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

The newer LR is too much metrosexual...

Now I love the older ones. If money werr no object, this would be my hunting/zombie toy. 😎



Sent from a Galaxy far far away.

Last edited by Revelations 8; 02-10-2017 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: Added pic
Old 02-10-2017, 04:27 AM
Darwin Mike Darwin Mike is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Darwin, Australia
Posts: 18
Thanks: 174
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Look up Grays Online in Australia. They have the job of selling all of the Aussie Land Rovers from the army now that they have switched vehicle types. They go for about 10k Australian so around $7,500 usd. Most are older than 1992 so no prob to export to USA as they are 25 plus years old.

Graysonline.com

I've bought and sold a couple where I live. Thinking of sending one back to USA
The Following User Says Thank You to Darwin Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 03:13 AM
SwissBrit SwissBrit is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: ****en, Switzerland
Age: 52
Posts: 13
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Default Land rovers Export -

I can help out here with this too.
You can get a SIII soft top over here for about 5K (Swiss) and I have a busy in Export who say a container ( 6 weeks to the US ) costs around 1k ( incl customs appear work )
He says you can get 2 landis in a 40footer.

I would be willing to do some research is any one is interested.. ( any old excuse to go land rover spotting )

Simon
 
Old 02-13-2017, 07:37 AM
Kalashnikov47's Avatar
Kalashnikov47 Kalashnikov47 is online now
Unrepentant Deplorable
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: US-Deep South
Age: 56
Posts: 4,784
Thanks: 657
Thanked 12,395 Times in 3,538 Posts
Default

I knew someone that had a newer one and the thing was total garbage, nothing but headaches and expensive repairs, the engine finally blew up...

I'm guessing the older ones were made better...
Old 02-13-2017, 09:05 AM
Goblin X's Avatar
Goblin X Goblin X is offline
Third World'er Lunatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: coastal south carolina
Posts: 13,562
Thanks: 12,926
Thanked 28,885 Times in 9,575 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
That must be that old supply and demand thing.

More people should bring them in - the older ones from other countries would be mostly RHD - although if they are more 25 years old, they don't need to be converted.

When you are offroad, being RHD doesn't really matter - and Land Rovers are always happiest when they are offroad.
and driving in nasty weather.......they love a heavy rain....
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM
THern THern is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 44
Thanks: 6
Thanked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Default

I love watching footage from the old Camel Trophy events.

Those Defender 110s look awesome. They even made them in left hand drive. I am just afraid of what any repairs would cost.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:49 PM
subvetssn subvetssn is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,290
Thanks: 1,748
Thanked 2,296 Times in 723 Posts
Default

Land Rover used to advertised that 90% of all Rovers ever built were still on the road. That's because the other 10% actually made it back home.

Everyone should own one at least once, though. That way you'd be sure to appreciate your Toyota that much more.

I kid. I kid.

I owned a Disco 2.

Oil pump gone at 40,000 miles. Head gaskets at 50. Various other disabling problems (gear position sensor, ABS faults) kept it idle for long periods of time awaiting parts. These were all common problems. Eventually, I got rid of it.

I had every confidence that it would get me anywhere that I wanted to go. But there was always a nagging thought that it wouldn't get me back. I feared that the next time I turned the switch it would fail to start or the oil pump would explode again and that it would be a one way trip.

They are brilliant off road machines. But the engineering and build quality suffer a just "good enough" mentality. I mean, what rational person would ever think that putting the gear position switch under an AC drain? Decreasing the number of head bolts to save a few bucks? Eventually the wrench time and cost of parts made me throw in the towel.


I can appreciate the appeal of the old Series models though. Still, there's an element of truth to the one featured in "The Gods Must Be Crazy."
Old 03-27-2017, 06:47 PM
Dragunov's Avatar
Dragunov Dragunov is offline
TEXAS!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Great Republic of Texas!
Posts: 6,324
Thanks: 9,417
Thanked 10,095 Times in 3,809 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBrit View Post
I wonder how many of Us here are Land Rover owners.
I know a lot of my American cousins despair at the thought of a oil leaky British engine .. but we love em ..

I have a '99 Discovery series ll. I HAD a '98 series l (best vehicle I ever owned!) before it was stolen . I also had an '88 Range Rover Classic SWB. THAT was a GREAT truck. I don't care for the Discovery Series ll, Will go anywhere, but blown head gaskets aren't cheap to fix.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:50 PM
Dragunov's Avatar
Dragunov Dragunov is offline
TEXAS!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Great Republic of Texas!
Posts: 6,324
Thanks: 9,417
Thanked 10,095 Times in 3,809 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subvetssn View Post
Land Rover used to advertised that 90% of all Rovers ever built were still on the road. That's because the other 10% actually made it back home.

Everyone should own one at least once, though. That way you'd be sure to appreciate your Toyota that much more.

I kid. I kid.

I owned a Disco 2.

Oil pump gone at 40,000 miles. Head gaskets at 50. Various other disabling problems (gear position sensor, ABS faults) kept it idle for long periods of time awaiting parts. These were all common problems. Eventually, I got rid of it.

I had every confidence that it would get me anywhere that I wanted to go. But there was always a nagging thought that it wouldn't get me back. I feared that the next time I turned the switch it would fail to start or the oil pump would explode again and that it would be a one way trip.

They are brilliant off road machines. But the engineering and build quality suffer a just "good enough" mentality. I mean, what rational person would ever think that putting the gear position switch under an AC drain? Decreasing the number of head bolts to save a few bucks? Eventually the wrench time and cost of parts made me throw in the towel.


I can appreciate the appeal of the old Series models though. Still, there's an element of truth to the one featured in "The Gods Must Be Crazy."
I had a '98 Disco Series l. I had it for 10 years. Never spent a dime on anything but general maintenance items (tires, battery, brake pads, tune up parts, etc).
Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 PM
Belnik Belnik is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,343
Thanks: 795
Thanked 1,665 Times in 939 Posts
Default

My first car was almost an old series version, can't remember the details. A classmate actually bought it, I ended up with a cj7...I was very glad I didn't get it in hindsight.

I've always loved the looks of the series and defenders, and ended up buying a Discovery once. It had some nice features, but ultimately the worst machine I ever owned, best day was when I sold it to a guy I worked with...poor sob, ha, ha. I was honest, so I don't feel bad.

I'd certainly pick a Toyota over anything rover if I want dependability. I'll always love the looks of the old Rovers, but they just cant seem to make the new ones very well. I honestly think that maybe the US versions are made worse intentionally, and aimed at the kind of people who will trade it in a 2-3 yrs tops.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:29 PM
hardcalibres hardcalibres is online now
Swirl Herder
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,272
Thanks: 2,805
Thanked 3,036 Times in 900 Posts
Default

Many car manufacturers go through rough patches of poor build quality.

If you want to see what one looks like, just research the build quality problems that Jeep is going through right now.

I have had several Land Rovers and still have three of them. Once you fix the build quality faults, you have a really great off road vehicle.

Some poorly built off road vehicles don't have enough merit/capability to be worth the effort.
The Following User Says Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net