Not a BOV - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BOV steel vs non-steel wheels/rims kx250kev Vehicles & Transportation 45 Today 02:07 PM
My BOV - Don't laugh yet.. Elvin Moseid Vehicles & Transportation 40 01-31-2017 04:54 AM
Escape from NYC IceStationZebra Urban Survival 53 01-21-2017 03:48 PM
Keeping food and water in your vehicle Natty Food and water 20 12-08-2016 12:37 PM
BOV repair necessities atomkey Vehicles & Transportation 43 12-01-2016 07:17 AM

Old 02-05-2017, 07:18 PM

Default Not a BOV

Advertise Here

What I'm interested in is a survival vehicle. This would be more for emergency type scenarios. I carry a EDC with all the normal everyday stuff including a IFAK. What is everyone's recommendations for a get home/survival vehicle. My initial thoughts are medical (in case I run into a accident somewhere), some survival gear (i.e. knife, mylar blanket, water, food, etc).
Old 02-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Remove Kebab

Thanked 8,495 Times in 2,395 Posts

A 4x4 truck with a toolbox isn't a bad idea. My toolbox has tools, 50 miles worth of spare gas, I keep a couple cases of water in the bed and a basic GHB behind my seat. Food, Sawyer Mini, first aid kit, a couple spare loaded mags, fire starter, space blanket and so on.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:43 PM

Should have asked for components. I've got a full size truck, crew cab, 4x4.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Remove Kebab

So you want suggestions on what to keep in your truck?
Old 02-05-2017, 07:55 PM

Yes please. I'm just getting started in the whole prepping/survival way of thinking. I've got a lot of things issued to me by my unit but I've been reading a lot of articles online and watching youtube vids about a lot of other things to think about and consider. Just wanna get other people's input. More info is always better.
The Following User Says Thank You to guardsman79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2017, 07:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,718 Times in 974 Posts

Sounds like you want:
-A toolbox with tools and gear to keep from having to walk home.
Whatever you might need for roadside emergencies. Flares, gloves, tow strap, jumper cables, 12V air compressor, etc.

-A "Get Home Bag" with what you'd need if you had to walk home.
Change of clothes and comfortable shoes for a long walk in your normal terrain and climate
First aid kit.
Flashlight. Water.

There's things you should pack depending on your unique conditions. For example, I have grade school kids. Yesterday, one got sick in the car. Good thing I had a towel and some wet diaper wipes, as well as a trash bag to stash the urped-on jacket in the trunk.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:58 PM

If this is "what kind of vehicle?" Than the answer depends on your situation. If its "what do I need?" I'm pretty sure jerry has a more complete list then you would imagine on here somewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to NickB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2017, 08:03 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,549 Times in 492 Posts

I'm with you viper,

I have a large jobox, in the bed of my pick, I have it strapped in instead of bolted for easy removal if needed, in the box is :

50k lb tow rope
heavy jumper cables
full metric/standard socket set
3 lb sledge
about 6-8 ratchet straps
small steel tool box with screwdriver/pliers/electric kit
towing shackles
1 gal washer fluid
1 can wd-40
1 ax
1 swede saw
1 come along

under the back seat is

1 army issue shelter half-s tent/poles/stakes
large FAK
2 spare wool blankets

on the back seat
GHB
BOB

I tailor up or down from there depending on seasons, trip duration mileage etc....also always have a shovel just rattling around in the back lol
Old 02-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Remove Kebab

Spare gas is a big one. I get my NATO Jerry cans from Lexington Container Company. To know knowledge there are none made better.

I keep a Sawyer Mini water filter in every bag I intend to rely on. They are cheap, small and unbeatable.

I keep a couple cases of bottled water that just slides around in the bed. At first I was worried they would wear through and ruin them but the alfalfa scraps are preventing that.

I keep basic fire starting gear, fire sticks and a couple Bic lighters, road flares, chem lights, spare magazines for my P229 and AR, first aid supplies, hand warmers, canned food and of course a can opener.

I also keep a wrench set, screwdriver set, tape and an axe.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:07 PM

What about a can of Fix a Flat?
Old 02-06-2017, 10:24 AM

There are lengthy lists -- some good, some less-useful -- of things we all carry or don't. Good examples, certainly, but maybe not the best approach to your situation.

First things first. You have to become carefully cognizant of your situation. It's probably not tough for you, but it can be a surprisingly difficult mindset to master.
Where are you?
Where do you generally go?
If something inconvenient happens (wreck, malfunction, sickness, etc.) where do you have to go for help?
If something big happens (SHTF, civil collapse, etc.) where is your 'bugout' destination?
(There's about 50 more questions in there that i skipped.)
Figure out your A-to-B; B-to-C; etc.
And not just in terms of miles. Think in terms of how many rivers and ravines you have to cross. How many places will there be guys with guns redirecting traffic? Figure out how to get from A to B and then figure out how many *alternate* routes you have from A to B. Then find the number of highway barriers; creeks; rivers; fences; construction sites; etc. all along those routes.

I mean, 4WD is worthless if you have to cross the Grand Canyon. But it's invaluable if you need to jump a few lesser obstacles. You need to know what those are.

Then, when you have all that figured out, yes, i mean this, only THEN can you make a safe or informed assessment about what kind of vehicle or even what kind of supplies you need.

Otherwise, you could fall into the trap of so many that just go buy their new toy without knowing if it will really do them any good or not. Or, worse, yet, they load up a sporting goods store and figure they're set. Needless expense (often debt) for no good use. Seen it many times.

Of, course, that's better than nothing, but hopefully you can do better than that and learn from others' mistakes.

It's good that you're reading. Were I starting out, I would take some time to do the hard work right up front. Do some planning and analysis. With adequate data and understanding of the possible threats and their mitigation, the decisions often darned near solve themselves.

DS
Old 02-10-2017, 09:49 PM
Target Shooter

Default Your tire shop will hate you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusJ View Post
Sure you can use that. Your tire shop will hate cleaning up after.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusJ View Post
Products like Fix a Flat are for after a puncture, on top of that they usually make the tyre unrepairable (at least that's what we are told)

I use pre-puncture products such as Puncturesafe (brand name) in all the tyres. They also claim to make the tyre last longer and from experience this appears to be correct

I have it in vehicle tyres, trailer tyres, bike tyres. Not as messy or complex to use as some people claim.

It gives peace of mind, especially in relation to the older family members and my other half as I ca be pretty sure if they are out on their own or just them and the kids then they won't suffer a puncture and get stuck somewhere.

From a personal viewpoint the last thing I want for any of us, myself included is to have to change a tyre in heavy rain or snow with high winds blowing

In the past people asked me if it definitely works, well
1) On a few occasions I've noticed the couloured spot on the tyre the same colour as the product indicating it leaked out and sealed the tyre
2) We haven't had a puncture where a wheel needed changing in over 10 years

This stuff forms a permanent seal that lasts the tyres lifetime, not a "get you home or to the nearest garage seal"
The Following User Says Thank You to survivedall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 11:07 AM
Survival of the fittest

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivedall View Post
Products like Fix a Flat are for after a puncture, on top of that they usually make the tyre unrepairable (at least that's what we are told)

I use pre-puncture products such as Puncturesafe (brand name) in all the tyres. They also claim to make the tyre last longer and from experience this appears to be correct

I have it in vehicle tyres, trailer tyres, bike tyres. Not as messy or complex to use as some people claim.

It gives peace of mind, especially in relation to the older family members and my other half as I ca be pretty sure if they are out on their own or just them and the kids then they won't suffer a puncture and get stuck somewhere.

From a personal viewpoint the last thing I want for any of us, myself included is to have to change a tyre in heavy rain or snow with high winds blowing

In the past people asked me if it definitely works, well
1) On a few occasions I've noticed the couloured spot on the tyre the same colour as the product indicating it leaked out and sealed the tyre
2) We haven't had a puncture where a wheel needed changing in over 10 years

This stuff forms a permanent seal that lasts the tyres lifetime, not a "get you home or to the nearest garage seal"

Thank you for mentioning this product. I researched it and am interested in purchasing it for my jeep. I don't know yet if they will sell to the USA. I can see this used in place of Run Flat tires. Maybe not the same but for the price, it's a nice upgrade for tires taking punctures. Do you think it could seal a medium caliber bullet puncture?
Old 02-12-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN 4 IT View Post
Thank you for mentioning this product. I researched it and am interested in purchasing it for my jeep. I don't know yet if they will sell to the USA. I can see this used in place of Run Flat tires. Maybe not the same but for the price, it's a nice upgrade for tires taking punctures. Do you think it could seal a medium caliber bullet puncture?
I did a quick search on ebay.com for tire sealant

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SLIME-SD...ZVkSZ0&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hutchinson-P...8AAOSwgZ1Xs1mM

On this listing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stans-Notube...s1phDRicJ-8ohg
It says
Stan's Notubes Tire Sealant
Virtually eliminates flats
Designed for use in standard, tubeless and tubular tires and also inside tubes with a removable valve core
Instantly seals 1/4 inch punctures
Contains micro sealing particles
Non-adhesive with no mess

They are easy to use
1) Remove the valve core
2) Put required amount into tyre (Amount is determined by tyre size)
3) Give valve a quick blast with air to clear it of sealant
4) Refit valve and inflate tyre

Even allowing plenty of time it takes me about one hour to do a vehicle. Last occasion was around two hours for the vehicle, car trailer, 2 bikes and two bike trailers

One thing I learnt from the first time I ever used these products is don't do this with the tyres on the ground or they will take ages to inflate , in my case it took over 30 minutes to inflate one tyre and that was a rear tyre without the added weight of the engine .
For the second tyre I jacked it up just enough that tyre was off the ground and it inflated in 5 minutes or so. If you have 2 jacks then you can be working on one tyre while one inflates.
Then once all the tyres were done and back on the ground I just went round the tyres and ensured they were at the correct pressure.
I have a compressor with auto-stop where you can set the pressure so when it hits the set pressure it switches off automatically which makes life easier

Be aware it won't seal punctures in the sidewall of the tyre
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survivedall For This Useful Post: