Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-05-2017, 11:02 AM
gagged

Thanked 7,939 Times in 2,271 Posts

Advertise Here

My husband says he uses this for lubrication on small motors not cars so there is a use for it and therefore a reason to sell.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,125 Times in 875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodzman View Post

What CAN cause damage is running the modern oil in an old engine that's been run on non-detergent oil all it's life

It will liberate the accumulated sludge and metals and wipe the engine pretty quickly, if it's got a lot of hours on it.
I've heard the same about ATF.
Something about it being a solvent.Changing it in an old or high miliage transmisson that has never been serviced might break loose a lot of crud,clogging up the valve body.

Myth?
Old 02-05-2017, 12:50 PM

i have the bottle, i'll get pics soon.... one is called us spirit, and the other is black knight,.. the black knight says for pre 1988 cars. the US spririt says its not for cars built after 1930.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Trapper

I have seen US Spirit and Black Night for sale in el-cheapo stores. Spirit here is 5W-30 and rated SF/CC. That means for gas engines up through 1988 and diesels through 1990.

The Black Night I saw here is rated SC that is for gas engines up through 1967.

Main things is they both clearly have the API ratings on the bottles. Nothing deceptive that I see.

If you saw an oil for 1930 or older only, that would be pure oil with no additives.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Trapper

Unless it is reclaimed motor oil, it is fine. I worked at Shell in the 70s, and the guys that canned the oil would finish the order and then can Pep Boys, or some off brand oil with the rest of the batch that was blended for thier own oil. Gasoline is similar, sometimes regular is better at the off brand stations, because the premium that is blended and doesn't meet thier spec, gets put into the unbranded regular tank.
They all have to meet minimum standards anyway. I think you could use Crisco or olive oil and it will work fine.
The main difference between motor oils is detergent and non detergent. Non detergent oil is better for engines that are air cooled and those that do not have a full flow oil filter(like 40s, 50s, and VWs as well as air cooled motorcycles). The detergent carries the non oil particles with the oil so the filter can do its work. Non detergent allows the crap to settle at the lowest point.
Multi viscosity oils are made so that when the oil gets hot, it doesn't get too thin and when it is cold, it can be thin enough to help.
Synthetic oil doesn't break down(as long as it can be filtered properly), and will keep its viscosity longer than other motor oils.
You can pay top dollar or you can buy crap oil, as long as it is clean and hasn't broken down because of heat, you are good to go.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:39 PM
Trapper

If someone is finding type SA oil in there el-cheapo store rated only for gas engines up to 1930 - it is kind of ironic. I have a 1960s bulldozer that calls for it in the transmission and it is very hard to find. When I can locate it - it is often pricey because it is a specialty item. API type "SA" 30W-40W engine oil is the same thing as SAE 90W or GL1 90W gear oil. Pure oil with no detergent or anti-wear additives.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:46 PM

Don't buy oil at a beer store. I don't buy beer at an oil store.
The Following User Says Thank You to Denny B For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 08:25 AM

Always read the label and look for a SAE label on it.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,814 Times in 4,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygunisjammed View Post
it needs to be outlawed, noone is going to pull into a store in a 30s car. the bottles look just like regular modern motor oils.
So you want the government to intrude on everyone's life because you didn't take the time to read ?
It's fine to run in lawnmowers and people still run ancient cars, use as quench it's a little thin for bar oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 09:29 AM

People need to learn what their vehicle requires and read labels before they buy oil and other supplies for it. My wife is constantly complaining her car doesn't run well and every other day she buys some other kind of additive to dump in the oil or fuel. This is "Her" car, bought with "Her" money. Im not allowed to touch it so I just sit back and watch the show.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NY Yankee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Dead for tax purposes

Thanked 22,646 Times in 8,263 Posts

It is a constant source of amazement how little people read. This weekend I had a ad for sale where I specifically stated, "I do not respond to texts". Low and behold I received 3 texts. One of which the person asked about the price which was posted in the ad's listing.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Hiker

If you ever have questions about motor oil go to "bob's the oil guy.com". All of my cars except the Suburban have high miles. The Suburban has high miles but, the engine has about 45,000. I use store brand oils and have been doing so for decades: Auto Zone, Advance, O'riley's etc.. I have used more than a few quarts of Walmart Supertech oil.

I change my oil a lot so, I don't use synthetics. Also, I always keep an extra quart on-board every car. Point is, you don't have to use top shelf oils but, I am highly suspect of the convenience store oils. I would only use those in a pinch. I have, over the years, inherited a couple of quarts of that sorry oil and I use it in my oil can to lube hinges and such.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:31 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 19,135 Times in 6,313 Posts

This is just a bizarre scenario for me to wrap my head around. You're telling us that you went to the beer store and was browsing the aisles and said to yourself, "oh, they have oil here. I think I'll buy some"?

Am I the only one that thinks this is more than just odd? Where you already drunk? LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 03:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,814 Times in 4,412 Posts

Around here we call stores where we can buy some beers quick shops. Can't sell liquor or beer with an alcohol content > 3.2 % by weight. Those are sold in a "liquor store"
Not sure about the state the OP is in.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:28 PM

I live close to a convenience store and I needed some some oil because my truck was running low. This is the oil they had sitting in the auto section along with some other oils.
this is the one that was for 1930s cars.
I cant seem to copy a photo of the bottle for my pc to this forum message, but here is a link i found that talks about banning it in NJ. Black knight and us spirit were on the ban.

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ss..._labeling.html

it was based on deceptive labeling.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:29 PM

here is a better photo though, and it kinda explains it.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Channel12%...S%20Spirit.htm

It looks just like regular motor oil as far as the front label and bottle, even says sae 10w 40 motor oil.

just watch out for this stuff if your on the road and in a bind and need some oil right quick.
The Following User Says Thank You to mygunisjammed For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 05:32 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 19,135 Times in 6,313 Posts

Oh okay... I was going by your thread title and how you presented it. It gave the impression you were there for beer first and just happened to see the oil.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,202 Times in 732 Posts

I bought some motor oil from a beer store once. Absolutely the most useless crap I have ever seen. Picture attached:

The Following User Says Thank You to AK_Red For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
It is a constant source of amazement how little people read. This weekend I had a ad for sale where I specifically stated, "I do not respond to texts". Low and behold I received 3 texts. One of which the person asked about the price which was posted in the ad's listing.
Sounds like Craigs list. The responses I get from the buyers is eye opening, Trying to sell a Porsche from my fathers estate, nearly every potential buyer had a mug shot on the internet. No way I am meeting these folks to make a cash sale.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:50 PM
never tell me the odds

Thanked 1,389 Times in 439 Posts

Phew....! Good thing I saw this thread I was just about to head out to the liquor store for some motor oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to rule4 For This Useful Post: