2wd Silverado - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
91 dodge dakota tooltime Vehicles & Transportation 22 12-30-2016 04:40 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2017, 10:12 AM
TacticalFarmer TacticalFarmer is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 830
Thanks: 1,110
Thanked 1,052 Times in 418 Posts
Default 2wd Silverado



Advertise Here

Hey all. I wound up finding a good deal on a 2007 Silverado Crew cab. Low miles, low price, taken care of, came with warranty, etc etc. The bad news: Its 2wd.

I figured I could sell it for more than I bought it for if I didn't like it. I was really worried that I would have problems not having 4wd, because I live in Wisconsin.

My worries were put to rest. I've put on 8,000 miles since I bought the truck in November and it is absolutely not an issue to drive on any public road in Wisconsin in any conditions as long as you have some half-decent all season tires. The truck has traction control which really makes it easy to keep the back end from breaking loose.

I almost got stuck once when I was in the woods, in the snow, because I couldn't reverse up an icy hill. Luckily I could get out through a different route by driving forward. I wouldn't have had to do that if I had a 4x4!

After that, I decided that the 2wd truck isn't the best in the winter off road, so I got tire chains. I went back to the same spot where I got stuck and the tire chains allowed the truck to claw out of the valley in reverse with no weight in the bed. So, what I'm saying is don't fear the newer 2wd trucks if you find a good deal. If you have a 2wd vehicle, go to fleet farm and get chains. They will save your ass if you get in a tight spot off road.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TacticalFarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 10:16 PM
Goodwrench708's Avatar
Goodwrench708 Goodwrench708 is offline
Your worst nightmare.....
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Georgia..Caribbean..Santiago Dominican Republic
Age: 53
Posts: 3,418
Thanks: 3,311
Thanked 4,786 Times in 1,954 Posts
Default

I agree OP.... 2WD is just as useful
Good tires...chains...some weight...and good driving skills
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 11:06 PM
Backwoods Alaskan's Avatar
Backwoods Alaskan Backwoods Alaskan is offline
Last Frontiersman
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,806
Thanks: 410
Thanked 3,715 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default

You can have it.
For me and my purposes, I'll never own anything 2WD, and never anything GM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Backwoods Alaskan For This Useful Post:
 
Old 01-23-2017, 11:19 PM
Goodwrench708's Avatar
Goodwrench708 Goodwrench708 is offline
Your worst nightmare.....
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Georgia..Caribbean..Santiago Dominican Republic
Age: 53
Posts: 3,418
Thanks: 3,311
Thanked 4,786 Times in 1,954 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Alaskan View Post
You can have it.
For me and my purposes, I'll never own anything 2WD, and never anything GM.
So...you don't like GM.....what do you prefer?
Old 01-24-2017, 12:00 AM
Backwoods Alaskan's Avatar
Backwoods Alaskan Backwoods Alaskan is offline
Last Frontiersman
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,806
Thanks: 410
Thanked 3,715 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
So...you don't like GM.....what do you prefer?
I drive Ford. I need my trucks to work.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:13 AM
Goodwrench708's Avatar
Goodwrench708 Goodwrench708 is offline
Your worst nightmare.....
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Georgia..Caribbean..Santiago Dominican Republic
Age: 53
Posts: 3,418
Thanks: 3,311
Thanked 4,786 Times in 1,954 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Alaskan View Post
I drive Ford. I need my trucks to work.
Everyone has preferences..... But to be honest....they all has good and bad. Even Fords. I have known many problems with Ford Trucks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 12:34 AM
Backwoods Alaskan's Avatar
Backwoods Alaskan Backwoods Alaskan is offline
Last Frontiersman
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,806
Thanks: 410
Thanked 3,715 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Everyone has preferences..... But to be honest....they all has good and bad. Even Fords. I have known many problems with Ford Trucks.
Sure they do. No manufacturer, or product, is infallible. I've had my share of problems with Ford trucks.

But, when it's all said and done, Ford comes out on top with fewer problems and greater reliability overall. There is a reason that they own the largest market share in both private use and commercial use trucks in the United States, and that the F-Series have been the best selling trucks for more than 35 years, and the F-150 is the most popular vehicle in the United States.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:48 AM
Goodwrench708's Avatar
Goodwrench708 Goodwrench708 is offline
Your worst nightmare.....
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Georgia..Caribbean..Santiago Dominican Republic
Age: 53
Posts: 3,418
Thanks: 3,311
Thanked 4,786 Times in 1,954 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Alaskan View Post
Sure they do. No manufacturer, or product, is infallible. I've had my share of problems with Ford trucks.

But, when it's all said and done, Ford comes out on top with fewer problems and greater reliability overall. There is a reason that they own the largest market share in both private use and commercial use trucks in the United States, and that the F-Series have been the best selling trucks for more than 35 years, and the F-150 is the most popular vehicle in the United States.
Yup...and I do contract work for those commercial fleets that own Fords.... and to be honest....they buy them because of price. I have one large client...they have over 500 F series Fords ... bought because they got a great deal.
But durablilty....they hate them. Spend more time at the dealer than on the job.

As someone whose business is to consult and train fleet maintenance operations.... I am not buying the whole Ford is the best.

As for who makes the best trucks...... no one does...lol
They all suck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 12:56 AM
5keepers's Avatar
5keepers 5keepers is offline
HidingInPlainSight 3%
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Cocos Islands
Posts: 718
Thanks: 467
Thanked 605 Times in 313 Posts
Default

All you have to do is take care of a vehicle.. do the routine maintenance..I prefer using the 3000 miles oil change, 50K transmission fluid/filter change, 75K both differentials, .. my current (1994) Chevy vehicle has 256K, does not use oil or trans fluid(no leaks).. runs great..

Take care of anything and it will last!!... most have 10 yr and 100K warranties...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5keepers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 01:04 AM
Backwoods Alaskan's Avatar
Backwoods Alaskan Backwoods Alaskan is offline
Last Frontiersman
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,806
Thanks: 410
Thanked 3,715 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Yup...and I do contract work for those commercial fleets that own Fords.... and to be honest....they buy them because of price. I have one large client...they have over 500 F series Fords ... bought because they got a great deal.
But durablilty....they hate them. Spend more time at the dealer than on the job.
I'm not talking about massive commercial purchases like that. I'm talking about the small (relatively speaking) businesses, who buy one or two, then maybe one or two more, and so on. They aren't getting the massive discounts. Consider just the construction industry, for example. Ford owns nearly 50% of the market share in the construction industry for light duty trucks. Most contractors are smaller, there aren't but a handful of national outfits.

Quote:
As someone whose business is to consult and train fleet maintenance operations.... I am not buying the whole Ford is the best.
Well... Historic sales numbers disagree with your evaluation. And you can look at all the various awards that Ford wins with its trucks, if things like that interest you.

Quote:
As for who makes the best trucks...... no one does...lol
They all suck.
My firsthand experience, and the firsthand experience of those I know, does not bear out this claim.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:36 AM
drobs's Avatar
drobs drobs is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Africa - Missouri
Posts: 6,017
Thanks: 7,795
Thanked 4,990 Times in 2,750 Posts
Default

For paved straight, flat, maintained roads of Illinois Wisconsin (I grew up there) - a 2wd pickup will work. Now living in the Missouri Ozarks with hills & non-maintained roads, I won't be without a at least 1 4wd vehicle.

I too like chains but most of the time it's easier to just shift into 4wd and go.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:57 AM
Straza's Avatar
Straza Straza is offline
Rebel Against Tyrants
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,628
Thanks: 4,104
Thanked 18,089 Times in 6,175 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

My 4wd frontier had to pull out a 4wd chevy in wet grass

was humorous
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Straza For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 07:31 AM
TacticalFarmer TacticalFarmer is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 830
Thanks: 1,110
Thanked 1,052 Times in 418 Posts
Default

I think there is a seperate thread for bickering about Chevy vs. (Insert whatever brand). I don't give 2 craps about brand because they all suck. You want to know a true story? I bought this truck the day that my 4.6 Ford locked up on the way to work. I had to call my boss, tell him I'm using my last day of vacation, and then I proceeded to walk 4 miles into the nearest town and tell the dealer "gimme something with a V8 that isn't going to crap the bed". Take your Ford fanboy B.S somewhere else. idgaf.

And yeah there are definitely environments where 4wd is required, but you have to go looking for those conditions in Wisconsin. 90% of the off-pavement driving that I do is on a system of logging trails. If the conditions on the logging trails are bad, I won't even take the 4x4 on them because it will rut up the trail. If I am about to dip into that 10% of off-pavement driving that requires 4x4, I'll probably know it.

For the money I paid for my 2007 2wd 1500, the only 4x4 I could've got would be a late 90s 4x4.. I drive too much and 99.9% of the miles that trucks get on them is flat dry pavement.. Admit it.

How often do you actually switch on your 4x4? I agree the 4x4 button is nice, but no way is it gonna take a $9,000 truck and turn it into $15,000. Thats about the price difference between the two and 4x4 is hardly ever used. Almost never is 4x4 good for anything that chains on a 2wd aren't good for.

Bicker about ford vs chevy or 4x4 vs 2wd, but I've been around each of those blocks. I've had 2wd Fords, 4x4 fords, 4x4 chevys (I actually still have a 1995 Chevy 1500 4x4), and now this 2wd chevy. The 2wd trucks are under valued and you can get a lot of truck for not a lot of money by getting a 2wd. Chain it up. If you have extreme conditions, or you just don't know how to drive, then get a 4x4.
The Following User Says Thank You to TacticalFarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 07:59 AM
Justme11's Avatar
Justme11 Justme11 is online now
French Prometheus unbound
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 16,921
Thanks: 17,115
Thanked 37,282 Times in 12,256 Posts
Default

I have a 2006 GMC sierra with manual 4WD shifter and love it. No problems so far in 10 years.
I only used the 4WD a few times. Climbing out a steep boat ramp with a 4000 lb boat, a few times on ice, and driving through a few fields in the snow or mud. Straightened an oak tree in the yard as well that blew over in hurricane Ike.
2WD would be fine most of the time.

In college I bought a 1976 chevy 1500 van and had that damn thing for 25 years. used and abused it. Only maintenance was tires brakes and spark plugs. I did get it stuck about 4 times and needed someone to tow me out.

GM trucks are awesome in my opinion. At least the old ones.

Had a Ford E150 conversion van. 15 years ago. What a disaster that thing was. Very comfortable and nice for a short time, then everything died on it. Bought it used with 130,000 miles. I put 10,000 miles on it and in that time, the transmission reverse gear broke, engine burned up, A/C died, HVAC door vaccuum diverter died.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 09:04 AM
Backwoods Alaskan's Avatar
Backwoods Alaskan Backwoods Alaskan is offline
Last Frontiersman
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,806
Thanks: 410
Thanked 3,715 Times in 1,140 Posts
Default

Lighten up Sally, just because somebody doesn't share your affection for Government Motors doesn't mean you have to get your panties in a knot. That's like Adult Skill #1: Accept The Fact That Some People Disagree With You.

If you want to throw a fit and cry about "fanboy bs" then go right ahead, but I'm just sharing my opinions and my experience. They vary for everybody. Get over it. You're in for a rough life if you only want to hear opinions of those who are on your side.

There's nothing wrong with a late 90's rig. And personally, I use 4x4 quite frequently. Basically daily in winter conditions, and even in summer conditions I often find myself off the developed roads with heavy loads of stuff. Just because your truck is a pavement queen doesn't mean they all are. Some people actually work their trucks.

And those that do, drive Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalFarmer View Post
I think there is a seperate thread for bickering about Chevy vs. (Insert whatever brand). I don't give 2 craps about brand because they all suck. You want to know a true story? I bought this truck the day that my 4.6 Ford locked up on the way to work. I had to call my boss, tell him I'm using my last day of vacation, and then I proceeded to walk 4 miles into the nearest town and tell the dealer "gimme something with a V8 that isn't going to crap the bed". Take your Ford fanboy B.S somewhere else. idgaf.

And yeah there are definitely environments where 4wd is required, but you have to go looking for those conditions in Wisconsin. 90% of the off-pavement driving that I do is on a system of logging trails. If the conditions on the logging trails are bad, I won't even take the 4x4 on them because it will rut up the trail. If I am about to dip into that 10% of off-pavement driving that requires 4x4, I'll probably know it.

For the money I paid for my 2007 2wd 1500, the only 4x4 I could've got would be a late 90s 4x4.. I drive too much and 99.9% of the miles that trucks get on them is flat dry pavement.. Admit it.

How often do you actually switch on your 4x4? I agree the 4x4 button is nice, but no way is it gonna take a $9,000 truck and turn it into $15,000. Thats about the price difference between the two and 4x4 is hardly ever used. Almost never is 4x4 good for anything that chains on a 2wd aren't good for.

Bicker about ford vs chevy or 4x4 vs 2wd, but I've been around each of those blocks. I've had 2wd Fords, 4x4 fords, 4x4 chevys (I actually still have a 1995 Chevy 1500 4x4), and now this 2wd chevy. The 2wd trucks are under valued and you can get a lot of truck for not a lot of money by getting a 2wd. Chain it up. If you have extreme conditions, or you just don't know how to drive, then get a 4x4.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 AM
drobs's Avatar
drobs drobs is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Africa - Missouri
Posts: 6,017
Thanks: 7,795
Thanked 4,990 Times in 2,750 Posts
Default

I use 4wd to visit my nearest neighbors who live on the hill behind my place. Our un-maintained road is rocky rutted gravel.

One neighbor on the hill moved from California with a 2wd truck. He quickly bought a 4wd truck as he had troubles getting up the hill in the summer much less the winter. The other neighbor's wife parks here car at the base of the hill and will let her husband pick her up in his 4wd truck as there's no way her front wheel drive car will make it up the hill.

Sure, I guess I could just tear up tires, much easier to flip the switch.

Here's a picture of our road that doesn't really do the hill justice.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 AM
TacticalFarmer TacticalFarmer is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 830
Thanks: 1,110
Thanked 1,052 Times in 418 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Alaskan View Post
....I often find myself off the developed roads with heavy loads of stuff. .....
And those that do, drive Ford.
Oh I believe both of those things whole-heartedly. I've noticed that a lot about ford guys :/
"If you want to tow a heavy load, get yourself a chevy. If you want to SWALLOW a heavy load, get yourself a Ford" - Amiri King


On a serious note, I frequently hear ford guys talking about working their trucks.

All I see on the logging trails and construction sites is other chevys and a few Cummins. Only people running ford gassers are government workers and yups. The guys who actually work their trucks don't stick with ford very long because the trucks don't stick with us. The very first thing that I did with my Chevy was flat-tow my old ford home 35 miles. Keep that in mind.

I've been stranded in a Ford infinite amount more times than I've been stuck off-road with a 2wd chevy (Never been stuck because I don't drive like you).
The Following User Says Thank You to TacticalFarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 09:33 AM
TacticalFarmer TacticalFarmer is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 830
Thanks: 1,110
Thanked 1,052 Times in 418 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
I use 4wd to visit my nearest neighbors who live on the hill behind my place. Our un-maintained road is rocky rutted gravel.

One neighbor on the hill moved from California with a 2wd truck. He quickly bought a 4wd truck as he had troubles getting up the hill in the summer much less the winter. The other neighbor's wife parks here car at the base of the hill and will let her husband pick her up in his 4wd truck as there's no way her front wheel drive car will make it up the hill.

Sure, I guess I could just tear up tires, much easier to flip the switch.

Here's a picture of our road that doesn't really do the hill justice.
That definitely looks like a hill that would be hard to travel. If I was a Californian woman, I too would need 4x4 to make it up that. I know what you're saying about cameras not doing hills justice. I believe you when you say that its steep! I had a job as a parts-delivery driver for an auto parts store when I was 18. The truck I drove was a 2wd ford ranger with an automatic transmission and a 4 cylinder. I had to deliver to a place that constantly had a completely ice-covered driveway which happened to a steep hill that intersected perpendicularly with a 55mph highway. Very hard to get any speed for the hill and traction was gone as soon as I got onto it every time. Great way to learn how to be smart with how you apply power and use the vehicle's momentum.

I used to race motocross and harescrambles. That's 1 wheel drive going through mud, sand, log crossings, etc etc. My first vehicle was a 4x4 chevy suburban when I was 16 and I vowed that I would never put it in 4wd because I was not a beta male who couldn't understand how to use traction. There is always enough traction unless you stop in the wrong spot (like a beta male would) or putts through soft stuff too slowly (like a beta male would), or drive around with no weight in the bed (like a ford guy has to in order to prevent catastrophic truck failure).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TacticalFarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 09:36 AM
TriggerHappy's Avatar
TriggerHappy TriggerHappy is offline
Dirty Mind
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,482
Thanks: 4,001
Thanked 6,411 Times in 1,693 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Alaskan View Post
I'm not talking about massive commercial purchases like that. I'm talking about the small (relatively speaking) businesses, who buy one or two, then maybe one or two more, and so on. They aren't getting the massive discounts. Consider just the construction industry, for example. Ford owns nearly 50% of the market share in the construction industry for light duty trucks. Most contractors are smaller, there aren't but a handful of national outfits.



Well... Historic sales numbers disagree with your evaluation. And you can look at all the various awards that Ford wins with its trucks, if things like that interest you.

Billions of McDonald's cheeseburgers have been sold. It doesn't mean they are the best cheeseburger.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriggerHappy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 09:48 AM
TacticalFarmer TacticalFarmer is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 830
Thanks: 1,110
Thanked 1,052 Times in 418 Posts
Default

Ford doesn't own 50% of the construction market. They own 50% of the new trucks that construction companies buy.. Go to a few actual work sites and take note of the oldest trucks there. Not the new shiny ones that they just bought. Pay attention to what has been surviving there. I used to do marine construction for a small business. They used to have 5 trucks. During the recession they couldn't afford to replace any trucks that broke too badly. They had one ford lose a transmission and the other one cracked a piston. The 3 chevys that they had kept going with nothing but tires and oil changes. The chevys were mid-90s half tons and one 3/4 ton. These things hauled big payloads and barges that make you weak in the knees with cranes mounted on them that could pick your ford up and set it on their deck.

Also, I worked at a different company that used ford trucks specifically because they got a fleet deal on them from ford. Ford makes cheap fleet trucks that look good on paper for the bean counters who are worried about making a profit on this very business quarter rather than long term investments in the company.

I will say that ford's pushrod V8 trucks were good. That was back when ford was indeed tough. They dropped that torch with their 4.6 and 5.4 modular engines. Their diesels seem to be good too.

But if ford is building their trucks for "people who work their trucks", then explain the V6 aluminum-frame trucks that come with street-only summer tires on them XD
The Following User Says Thank You to TacticalFarmer For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net