Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car parts to stock in car? what broke that caused you be stranded once? mygunisjammed Vehicles & Transportation 73 Yesterday 12:07 PM
VW TDI. What to do?? tedlovesjeeps71 Vehicles & Transportation 60 01-09-2017 07:43 PM
Solar panel on car roof a good idea? kotterr DIY - Do It Yourself 13 12-28-2016 02:32 PM
More peaceful radical Islam - car bomb in Turkey leadcounsel General Discussion 31 12-14-2016 12:06 PM
Watch: Cool Tilting Seesaw Portable Car Lift AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-18-2016 09:00 AM

Old 01-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Front Towards Enemy

Thanked 1,285 Times in 342 Posts
Default Well dis, more of my car luck...

Advertise Here

2000 Nissan X-Terra...or "The X-Terror" as it's come to be known at my house...

I bought this heap o' parts less than a year ago, from a neighbor known for keeping good care of his cars...who either filed to observe or fail to mention the rust on the frame (my fault for not crawling underneath it before buying). At least I looked under the hood, and saw not a drop of oil or any other fluid on the engine. It purred like a kitten, and only had a little rust on the fenders. 4wd worked like a dream. Two grand later, it was mine.

Three weeks later, the brake was rubbing on the front driver side. The guy I bought it from paid to have a mechanic change the brakes, which were well-worn. Two months later, the driver's side window was rolled down, ne'er to be seen again.

Then a brake line broke.

Then another.

Then the power steering pump began to leak...badly.

The muffler broke loose from the tailpipe and split along its seam.

Then the headlights and running lights began to blow, a result of an elusive paranormal short circuit that has so far baffled mechanics. The rust began to grow worse, and now spreads like a cancer over the fenders, who threaten to any minute lose their feeble grip on their inners at any moment. An upcoming trip to the car hospital is now planned because Nissan thought it would be a great practical joke on mortal X-Terra owners to locate the #6 spark plug in a place where only god and engineers can get to it.

Fortunately, I know how to fix it once and for all. An early-to-mid 80's full-sized 4wd...something. Ford...Chevy...Pickup...SUV. When the taxes come in, the Nissan is OUT, and so help me Cerberus, I will never buy another vehicle made after 1989 as long as I live.

Had to have a rant there...

So, anyone else have similar problems with X-Terras or modern cars in general?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lt. Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 04:04 PM
Target Shooter

My best friend and his girlfriend have been x terra owners 2001 and 2007 he finally traded his for a Nissan Juke of all things last year only because we ran the xterra in the ground on different back country and rock climbing back packing stuff all over with over 200k in miles. She still has hers and it's been a tank. Scheduled maintenance only on either of them and even dealing with Pennsylvania weather they are/were solid vehicles. Not sure if you got unlucky or they were just lucky ..
Old 01-17-2017, 04:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,411 Times in 999 Posts

Seems like the guy knew when to dump it......

There is one parked in a friends yard...
His neighbor had it quit on him....so being a good neighbor, and after a phone call, he went and picked up the car and guy....pulled the car into his yard....took the guy home.

As it was a back up car(?) and the neighbor was heading to Florida for the winter...he told my friend to see if he could get someone to fix it.

Found a couple of kids that were pretty good wrench's, offered to work on it in his yard.... so they had to buy a battery, then worked on it for a couple of days .....problem with wiring.

They finally hot wired it and got it to run.....friend was thinking.... good enough to get it back to the guys house.

Called the guy to tell him that he needed $50 bucks for a battery...and $200 bucks labor (Guys did work cheap).

Guy in Florida say, "Well give me $500 bucks and keep it"

Needless to say....Friend is out $200 buck to the kids, battery went into his tractor....car is still there 3 years later....and is a chicken coop.
Didn't pay the guy anything, and haven't spoke since.

Long story but I had seen it in progress...and could not believe that the frame was rusted all the way thru in may places...and was kinda folding up on its self.

You will do well to dump the junk....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol For This Useful Post:

Old 01-17-2017, 04:41 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 11,964 Times in 3,014 Posts

I have four vehicles sitting now that don't run.

Blown diesel engine on one chevy truck
Blown transmission on chevy suburban (and it's not compatible with the truck!!!)
Blown radiator on a POS Volvo
And a car that needs struts and tires

Sometimes it's cheaper just to get another vehicle! But my place is starting to look like a redneck lives here!

Current ride is a 2004 Jeep Gran Cherokee I got at a bank auction for $1200...

The Following User Says Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 04:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,030 Posts

if the frame is rusted through check with the dealer some of them they will buy back like Toyota did a few years ago.
ZRT
Old 01-17-2017, 08:05 PM
Front Towards Enemy

I don't even have a Nissan dealer within 50 miles. Even if I took it to the dealer, they'd want to use it as a 500 dollar bargaining chip against a new car. Read NEW.

The last thing I want is a NEW junker. I honestly believe that newer cars (made after 1990) are made so that they'll break more, and it's harder for owners to repair them in an effort to sell more cars when the old plastic and aluminum amalgamation of Chinese and Mexican parts craps out. I can work on vehicles...not spaceships. If you need a map to find out what everything is under the hood, chances are it's too complicated to be a functional car.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lt. Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Drake View Post
I don't even have a Nissan dealer within 50 miles. Even if I took it to the dealer, they'd want to use it as a 500 dollar bargaining chip against a new car. Read NEW.

The last thing I want is a NEW junker. I honestly believe that newer cars (made after 1990) are made so that they'll break more, and it's harder for owners to repair them in an effort to sell more cars when the old plastic and aluminum amalgamation of Chinese and Mexican parts craps out. I can work on vehicles...not spaceships. If you need a map to find out what everything is under the hood, chances are it's too complicated to be a functional car.
I agree to a point......
In 1964 bought a 1954 Chevy......was already a $100 buck car.... had less than 100K miles on it.

Bought a new 1999 F-150....still driving it in 2017...didn't have a hint rust till last year.
Never had the exhaust replaced.....been a very good truck for 17 years.

BUT as you have found...repairing it is now almost impossible with out the computer and special tools....and cost.
Points and plugs used to be under a $100 bucks....

Now one plug w/coil in that f-150 is over $100 EACH.
Ignition module rebuilt is $1300
Turn up $2100 bucks......only did it once in 17 years and 160K miles.

My ideal boonie truck would be a 1968 Dodge 4X4 Power Wagon....LOL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 12:48 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,180 Times in 438 Posts

Some day my 07 ford super duty diesel will be replaced by a brand spankin new 1946 dodge 1 ton power wagon that ill drop a mechanical 4 cylinder cummins turbo diesel into!!!!
Old 01-18-2017, 02:14 PM
Front Towards Enemy

My dream truck as an every day driver and a BOV is an old (early-mid 80's) K5 Blazer or something similar like the original Bronco. Some have advised a pickup, but I have family and friends I drive around. Any advice or opinions on this?

We've thrown around ideas about getting a Jeep, but the artificially high price of used Jeeps compared to other 4wd rigs is a major turnoff. We've even considered getting a milsurp deuce and a half for a BOV. Seeing as one of my MAG is a mechanic, and my wife's father is a national guard Sgt. who's worked on deuces, 5 tons, HEMTTs and HMMWVs for the last 20 years, working on it wouldn't be an issue.

The problem is gonna be finding something I like around here. Most of the vehicles in East Ky with off-road ability have been rode hard and put up wet. As soon as the taxes come in, we're going car shopping. Soon as I get a better truck, the X-Terror is going up on blocks with the fluids drained, right beside my techinal. I figure it could have some use when SHTF, transporting people and material to the hidey-hole.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Tedious Gasbag

Thanked 1,030 Times in 391 Posts

Quote:
My dream truck as an every day driver and a BOV is an old (early-mid 80's) K5 Blazer or something similar like the original Bronco. Some have advised a pickup, but I have family and friends I drive around. Any advice or opinions on this?

We've thrown around ideas about getting a Jeep, but the artificially high price of used Jeeps compared to other 4wd rigs is a major turnoff. We've even considered getting a milsurp deuce and a half for a BOV. Seeing as one of my MAG is a mechanic, and my wife's father is a national guard Sgt. who's worked on deuces, 5 tons, HEMTTs and HMMWVs for the last 20 years, working on it wouldn't be an issue.

The problem is gonna be finding something I like around here. Most of the vehicles in East Ky with off-road ability have been rode hard and put up wet. As soon as the taxes come in, we're going car shopping. Soon as I get a better truck, the X-Terror is going up on blocks with the fluids drained, right beside my techinal. I figure it could have some use when SHTF, transporting people and material to the hidey-hole.
Bronco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
00013152m1.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to stratbastard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 06:09 PM
Trapper

I want my early 55 chevy pickup back. Best vehicle I ever owned.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,222 Times in 910 Posts

Modern car,its 17 years old,chit happens
Old 01-18-2017, 08:24 PM
Trapper

I bought a 2009 2500 HD that looked good from a friend. He said it came from a mining company. Needed a little work. A minor electrical problem turned out someone jacked the electrical system. three shops and $2000 later turns out it needed serious rewiring , fuse box replaced due to corrosion, and a chassis control module. Oh and a bad u joint turned into a transfer case, another $1400. The good news it is great now and since I got a great deal in the first place I am ok.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:19 PM

I've known 2 different people with exterras.... both of them were money pits after 100k miles. Just sayin...
Old 01-19-2017, 07:09 AM

Default Exterra

Lt,

Just to add to your list. All of the 2000's Ex, frontier trucks have an issue with internal trany cooler in radiator. breaks down, leaks, water gets into trany: destroys it! Happened to my son. Truck was perfect and on its way to going 200K, but cost of trany ruined truck.
The good news is the the cooler can be bypassed by hooking lines from transmission together and just keep driving. Assuming yours is auto.
The kids had machine serviced a several Nissan dealers over the years, yet no one ever mentioned the radiator problem. They would never buy another car from Nissan. Myself I always liked the looks and performance of the EX.

good luck

Dan
Old 01-19-2017, 07:25 AM
Trapper

Quote:

The 90s actually pumped out some amazingly durable cars. Anything after that was starting to get too complex.

They don't design them to break more. They just design them to last a certain amount of miles and not a single extra mile. Then it would be considered over-built and they would cost reduce the product more.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:35 AM

consumer reports
Old 01-19-2017, 02:08 PM
American Survivor

Thanked 1,672 Times in 297 Posts

We have a 2001 Nissan Xterra and have had 0 problems with it, we did buy it new and have maintained it...AS PER THE OWNERS MANUAL SCHEDUAL (This is very important for dependability). it always makes me laugh when people state their cars a pile of crap because the transmission went out and I ask them when was the trans fluid last changed and they say, well...Never! 3 weeks ago the valve cover started leaking and I had the power steering fluid flushed and replaced. The Nissan dealer charged $480.00 for the valve cover gasket change and $400.00 for the fluid flush because they said it needed a new hose, I don't think it did, what I think is when they remove the hose for the flush it's probably so stiff it cracks. Either way it was expensive but being we own the car and it only has 129,000 miles and it has been good to us we decided to go ahead with the repairs.

By the way....the Xterra goes thru the snow like it was made for it, so if you are looking for a snow car they can't be beat!
Old 01-19-2017, 02:52 PM
Front Towards Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinTexas View Post
I've known 2 different people with exterras.... both of them were money pits after 100k miles. Just sayin...
Same here. After talking to several former owners of X-Terras, I've been hearing similar reports. Somewhere around 125,000, they start to fall apart. Others have stated similar problems with the body and frame rusting out, save for those lucky enough to live in Texas or Arizona.

Luckily, I haven't had transmission problems like Danr620 said.

As for the truck being good in snow, that's one of the reasons I bought it. It runs like a 4 wheeler off road, so long as it's running. I'd place an X-terra's off-road and foul weather ability second only to a good Jeep or Tracker. The only problem is keeping the thing operational long enough to take advantage of its 4wd prowess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lt. Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 10:30 PM
Hunter

Quote:
............(clip)
As for the truck being good in snow, that's one of the reasons I bought it. It runs like a 4 wheeler off road, so long as it's running. I'd place an X-terra's off-road and foul weather ability second only to a good Jeep or Tracker. The only problem is keeping the thing operational long enough to take advantage of its 4wd prowess.
Yeah doesn't help to have a vehicle you can't depend on....

When it stops...use as chicken coup.