You should have an RV to bug out with in an emergency - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survival Acronyms kev New Member Introduction 1003 05-13-2017 07:10 PM
Emergency Power dbonds Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 12-19-2016 04:39 PM
Emergency sleeping bag David T. Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 12-14-2016 12:00 PM
Emergency Water Packets AprilChick Food and water 4 10-16-2016 03:56 AM
Advice for RV planning volfan45 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 10-10-2016 10:01 AM

Old 01-03-2017, 05:24 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
Now if you want to consider a smaller covered box trailer the entire question changes.
Yes, it does. But i'm not sure if if it's for the better or worse. Might depend on a lot of things.

Vehicles of size take a lot of room to turn. This is always counted as a point against the RV. The box trailer neatly follows the tow vehicle and can usually get in and out of about anywhere with the right driver. The trailer can also be towed over anything the tow vehicle can go over.

But there's that uncomfortable position of having all that great stuff back there and having to stop, then get out, then possibly unpack to get to any of it. Very vulnerable, that.

But then, this is a bugout thread so i suppose about any scenario invented could be seen as good or bad.

DS
Old 01-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 21,693 Times in 6,851 Posts

I have owned some type of RV for 30 yrs. Here are my thoughts based on actual experience:

Big, heavy trailers are much more comfortable to live in, but they kinda suck to tow in traffic. If you plan to live in one for more than a couple months, I strongly advise you to have a power hookup, water well with large storage tank, septic tank and leach line, and a pole barn with shed roof to park under. I used my 30 ft Prowler Regal 5th wheel for temp housing when I sold my house in Cal and moved to Oklahoma.

A modest cab over camper mounted on a heavy 4wd pickup is much easier to travel in. While not great to live in for more than a few weeks, they are wonderfully flexible, and you can still tow a bumper pull cargo trailer or horse trailer. I used my 8 ft Lance Camper for vacations, hunting trips, horse events, I preferred it for long distance travel.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 06:11 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I have owned some type of RV for 30 yrs. Here are my thoughts based on actual experience:

Big, heavy trailers are much more comfortable to live in, but they kinda suck to tow in traffic. If you plan to live in one for more than a couple months, I strongly advise you to have a power hookup, water well with large storage tank, septic tank and leach line, and a pole barn with shed roof to park under. I used my 30 ft Prowler Regal 5th wheel for temp housing when I sold my house in Cal and moved to Oklahoma.

A modest cab over camper mounted on a heavy 4wd pickup is much easier to travel in. While not great to live in for more than a few weeks, they are wonderfully flexible, and you can still tow a bumper pull cargo trailer or horse trailer. I used my 8 ft Lance Camper for vacations, hunting trips, horse events, I preferred it for long distance travel.

Yup. The big ones are much more comfortable to live in for any length of time. Mine is 39' and change, 4 slides and a rear deck. And it's not much fun to travel with.

When we finally are able to settle onto a homestead, I'd love to trade this one out on something a lot smaller and easy to travel with.

Even the small ones usually have a bed, a kitchen, a bathroom and at least one comfortable chair. A person really appreciates those things when they suddenly go away, for whatever reason. I appreciate it all the more since Hurricane Katrina.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bellyman For This Useful Post:

Old 01-03-2017, 11:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,315 Times in 1,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingslower View Post
Yes, it does. But i'm not sure if if it's for the better or worse. Might depend on a lot of things.

Vehicles of size take a lot of room to turn. This is always counted as a point against the RV. The box trailer neatly follows the tow vehicle and can usually get in and out of about anywhere with the right driver. The trailer can also be towed over anything the tow vehicle can go over.

But there's that uncomfortable position of having all that great stuff back there and having to stop, then get out, then possibly unpack to get to any of it. Very vulnerable, that.

But then, this is a bugout thread so i suppose about any scenario invented could be seen as good or bad.

DS
When it comes to strict livability, I would rank a covered trailer as only a step above tent camping.

You MUST vent it with the doors closed or you will die of asphyxiation quickly. And a real mattress and living space take up a lot of room in a seemingly large trailer quickly. You'll have no shower and no toilet, so you'll have to come up with other options, such as an outdoor shower or campground shower, and something like a Luggable Loo. I'm not sure if they could deal with the weight of a 55 gallon barrel; you'd probably need to use 15 gallon drums instead.

On the plus side, you have 'hard' sided walls, which improves the safety aspect of it compared to a tent, and most people don't expect someone to be inside a travel trailer. Also, they are less expensive and lighter than a travel trailer.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:38 AM
Your worst nightmare.....

Thanked 4,857 Times in 1,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willthrill81 View Post
When it comes to strict livability, I would rank a covered trailer as only a step above tent camping.

You MUST vent it with the doors closed or you will die of asphyxiation quickly. And a real mattress and living space take up a lot of room in a seemingly large trailer quickly. You'll have no shower and no toilet, so you'll have to come up with other options, such as an outdoor shower or campground shower, and something like a Luggable Loo. I'm not sure if they could deal with the weight of a 55 gallon barrel; you'd probably need to use 15 gallon drums instead.

On the plus side, you have 'hard' sided walls, which improves the safety aspect of it compared to a tent, and most people don't expect someone to be inside a travel trailer. Also, they are less expensive and lighter than a travel trailer.
A step above tent camping.....hmmmm. I guess that's your inexperienced opinion. Converted cargo trailers are a step above RV
Ventilation..... we have pop up roof vents with fans
Shower and toilet .....got that covered too. Indoor shower....that's not a requirement. Showers are luxury....not required.
55 gal barrel....of what? Who is dragging around 55 gal drums?
Living space.....plenty......bed space ...plenty
Storage space....plenty

My 6x12 has gone places off road that a commercial camping trailer or RV can not even begin to go. Up the side of mountains....forded streams....trails no bigger than animal paths....etc.
My trailer can go weeks off grid with no support.... I have done 3 weeks off grid in back country ....zero support.
No tanks to fill.....no tanks to dump....no maintenance on trailer..except a shot of grease in the hubs every once in a while.
2 deep cycle batteries keep 12v system working can go 4-5 days with minimal use.... when needed....connect trailer connector to truck....start truck...run for 30 min or so....recharge batteries. Or start my genny and recharge.

For 3 weeks in the back country....never had a need for a 55gal drum.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingslower View Post

DS
Hmmm....do you think we just pack it full and cram everything in there like it's a Uhaul truck or something? It's organized ... and things are stored properly
I probably have more storage places in my 6x12 cargo converted ...than you have in full size RVs...
Old 01-04-2017, 06:54 AM
High Concept

Thanked 5,705 Times in 2,046 Posts

It's important to able to have a rum and coke on ice in air conditioned comfort whilst the apocalypse is in full swing, so an RV is essential.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 5,980 Times in 2,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rett View Post
It's important to able to have a rum and coke on ice in air conditioned comfort whilst the apocalypse is in full swing, so an RV is essential.
Now someone's making sense!!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DuneElliot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 07:12 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,011 Times in 826 Posts

The key is to get out early, before the roads are a parking lot, or people start saying, "look! He's got stuff!"

I've always been an advocate of leaving at first signs. If you're wrong, call it a drill and take a day off sick.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 07:32 AM
American Survivor

Thanked 1,683 Times in 301 Posts

Well.... I'm ready!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to badlands For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 08:47 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg View Post
ok, sit in the grid lock in your car, or rv with toilet, supplies, and even a degree of comfort except for the not moving part?
This is why i own 4x4 vehicle, usually i dont sit more than 30 min in traffic, i have off highway experience i know what my vehicle is capable of, i will exit the highway, i have driven through sholders,yards,sidewalks, i will not be a sitting duck if possible, the only thing that will stop me is a guard rail, or bridge out, i have recently been stuck in traffic because of a wreck at a major bridge, it made me start thinking of plan b c d e and f
Old 01-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,315 Times in 1,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
A step above tent camping.....hmmmm. I guess that's your inexperienced opinion. Converted cargo trailers are a step above RV
Ventilation..... we have pop up roof vents with fans
Shower and toilet .....got that covered too. Indoor shower....that's not a requirement. Showers are luxury....not required.
55 gal barrel....of what? Who is dragging around 55 gal drums?
Living space.....plenty......bed space ...plenty
Storage space....plenty

My 6x12 has gone places off road that a commercial camping trailer or RV can not even begin to go. Up the side of mountains....forded streams....trails no bigger than animal paths....etc.
My trailer can go weeks off grid with no support.... I have done 3 weeks off grid in back country ....zero support.
No tanks to fill.....no tanks to dump....no maintenance on trailer..except a shot of grease in the hubs every once in a while.
2 deep cycle batteries keep 12v system working can go 4-5 days with minimal use.... when needed....connect trailer connector to truck....start truck...run for 30 min or so....recharge batteries. Or start my genny and recharge.

For 3 weeks in the back country....never had a need for a 55gal drum.
I brought up drums and barrels in regards to carrying water. If I'm going to haul around a trailer, you better believe that I'm not betting my life on getting water wherever it is that I'm going.

I'm glad that you like your trailer as living quarters. For me, it's a covered box with no toilet, no shower, no refrigerator, and no air conditioning. By the time you start adding all that in if you wanted it (which you clearly don't), you're building your own RV. Without it, you're sleeping in a tent with hard sides instead of soft ones IMHO.

I agree that showers are a luxury, but anything more than a tarp and a sleeping bag could be considered a luxury. Why not plan for a few creature comforts when everything else is falling apart?

To each his own.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,056 Times in 2,776 Posts

I was chatting with a guy last night over beers who's in the Air Force (E6). After renting multiple apartments off base over the years (9) that he's been in Active Duty, he wished he would've financed a 5th wheel RV and diesel truck to go with it.

Instead of paying all those months / years of rent (paying the Landlord's mortgage) he could've easily paid off an RV and truck. Fees at the base's rv park were always pretty cheap - $300 a month or less for water, sewer, and electric.

Pretty smart idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willthrill81 View Post
I brought up drums and barrels in regards to carrying water. If I'm going to haul around a trailer, you better believe that I'm not betting my life on getting water wherever it is that I'm going.

I'm glad that you like your trailer as living quarters. For me, it's a covered box with no toilet, no shower, no refrigerator, and no air conditioning. By the time you start adding all that in if you wanted it (which you clearly don't), you're building your own RV. Without it, you're sleeping in a tent with hard sides instead of soft ones IMHO.

I agree that showers are a luxury, but anything more than a tarp and a sleeping bag could be considered a luxury. Why not plan for a few creature comforts when everything else is falling apart?

To each his own.
Maybe you should take time to look at my trailer.....it does have AC...5000btu to be exact....and a refrigerator. And it is better insulated than your commercial RVs. And yes...I even have a toilet
Have you ever tried to load a barrel of water? Lol

A few creature comforts huh? Would you like a chocolate on your pillow ?
How about turn down service?
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 04:30 AM
NRA Life Member

The Lunar Module was not a suitable living space for three people to survive for several days, either.

An RV would be pure luxury compared to a tent. A tent would be pure luxury compared to the venerable wool blanket.

We have choices. We can give up and never start to try or try to survive. Today is the time to start to try to survive.

A circle of covered wagons seems kind of ridicules against bullets and arrows, but giving up seems worse.

Survival = Try

Giving up = death
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McMacy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 05:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,402 Times in 7,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlands View Post
Well.... I'm ready!

Me too.

The Following User Says Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 06:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,402 Times in 7,009 Posts

Just so people get how mainstream an idea this is. Hyundai concept car.

https://youtu.be/2qo-8diOCZw
Old 01-05-2017, 07:05 AM
Hating the new Amerika.

Thanked 5,919 Times in 1,944 Posts

I hope you are buying. I do not have enough money for a bug out RV. I will hump it on foot if I have to.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:18 AM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 5,980 Times in 2,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfilly View Post
I hope you are buying. I do not have enough money for a bug out RV. I will hump it on foot if I have to.
This is one of the points a few of us made. They are good to use as a resource for bugging out if you have one already and use it for other things, but not something you buy just for bugging out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DuneElliot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 08:36 AM
Samholdanach

Thanked 23,559 Times in 8,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
This is one of the points a few of us made. They are good to use as a resource for bugging out if you have one already and use it for other things, but not something you buy just for bugging out.
I personally keep a small plane, helicopter, corporate jet, row boat, Kayak, rubber raft, cabin cruiser, sail boat, yacht, motorcycle, mountain bike, skateboard, trailer, motor home, 4x4, Econo car, van, Semi tractor, Troop carrier, bus, Rollerblades, tent, cardboard box, highway underpass, backpack, game cart, horse and mule, just in case I need to bugout. The cost is no big deal. I have my Butler take care of any maintenance needed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post: