Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevy Suburban question mreddie Vehicles & Transportation 4 12-30-2016 12:19 PM

Old 01-11-2017, 03:47 PM

Advertise Here

I have a 2001 and just blew a spark plug out of the head. It has 219,000 miles on it and I bought it used when it had 35,000 miles on it. Hopefully going to fix it here in the next month and get it back on the road. I am thinking I can get at least another 100k out of it. A friend just sold his and he had 350,000 miles on it. I think its solid and I tow many a trailer loaded with firewood with it.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 7,677 Times in 2,960 Posts

My 02 has 268,000, leaks about a quart/thousand, runs like a raped ape, and has no problem pulling a 6000 pound trailer.

Main gripe, it rides like a car. The suspension is just to soft for my taste/driving style. and the rubber parts are starting for wear out. Which may also be a factor in the soft suspension.

Mine will go the the junkyard before it gets sold.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 08:33 PM
Hiker

I'm going to boost my suspension with Timbren:

http://timbren.com/

These things are recommended by the users on RV.net. It's a cheap and easy way to boost the tow capacity of your vehicle. I'm also going to get a bigger transmission cooler. That's a quick and easy upgrade. I'm reading that the stock GM hitch receiver might be a weak point. I need to do more research on that. I hope to find a travel trailer well under 6000 pounds. Now that the snow is gone I can clean out the motorhome and get it sold.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi43 View Post
I have a 2001 and just blew a spark plug out of the head. It has 219,000 miles on it and I bought it used when it had 35,000 miles on it. Hopefully going to fix it here in the next month and get it back on the road. I am thinking I can get at least another 100k out of it. A friend just sold his and he had 350,000 miles on it. I think its solid and I tow many a trailer loaded with firewood with it.
That plug hole should be an easy fix. Happens on Triton Ford V8s all the time. Look up the repair. No need to pull the head. Apparently a spark plug blowing out is caused by it being loose in the hole.
The Following User Says Thank You to falconbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Hiker

As it turns out I have a bad bearing, left inside in the differential. So, it's at the shop getting fixed. I'm still under the fair market value for the truck so, that's not to bad. It's not the steal I thought it was, LOL.. Once that's done everything will be working and good to go. I did notice that the "Tow/Haul" switch was a very common issue on the Burbs, Tahoes, Silverados, Avalanches, Sierras, Yukons, etc.. But it was a 30 minute fix.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:58 AM

Hmm... I wondering if this is a 'Survival Question' or just a 'car club' question?

A 2000 4X4 Sub is a great choice. 3/4 ton would be better, but 1500 is a fine unit for all kinds of demands.

However, if you have to go to the shop for simple things like bearings, even diff work, this may not be the best choice after all. The assumed ability to work on these things and perform comprehensive repairs is a large part of what makes them attractive. Hopefully, you have all the tools and facilities required, because sooner or later, you will.

A new tranny, rebuilt by a speed shop or off-road shop, could be a real asset on a high-mileage Sub. I've put in 3 over the years. Good idea to have one on a shelf, somewhere.

The electronic transfer case switching is a mixed bag. The aftermarket switches and actuators available, like many things, outpace the factory by miles. So if your transfer case or front diff switching has lasted this long (17 years), the replacement could easily last another 25 years. That oughta be good enough.

If you're not already, get tooled up for all the inevitable repairs. Hey, it's a mechanical object. Stuff will fail. You'll need to be capable and familiar.

Can't go wrong with a 4x4 Suburban - especially for a Survival application. Almost any year is still a good choice.

DS
The Following User Says Thank You to dyingslower For This Useful Post: