Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vortex Dakota Tripod Kit - Reduced from $249.99 to only $129.99 gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 12-18-2016 01:14 PM
ptr 91 ak74 or m1a? what to buy before hillary. mygunisjammed Rifle Forum 80 11-12-2016 03:08 AM
[Big 3 East] Wolf Ammo Is Bringing Us A Type 91 Upper... Christopher67 Military Weapons Forum 1 11-10-2016 03:23 PM
Wolf bringing in type 91 (taiwan) uppers maersk Military Weapons Forum 3 10-14-2016 01:26 PM
Catfish Hot Spot Is Lake Oahe, South Dakota AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-03-2016 07:30 PM

Old 12-29-2016, 09:21 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 7,865 Times in 3,042 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltime View Post
JDH you are wrong. You are not going up the hill in ice but will go down whether it be forward,sideways, or backwards or maybe all 3.
Ok, I'll give you that one. Should have said you ain't going down under anything that resembles being under control.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:38 AM
Your worst nightmare.....

Thanked 4,918 Times in 2,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemaris View Post
Pretending 2WD is near as good as 4WD if "you know how to drive" is utter nonsense. I suspect anyone that makes such a statement never lived on a steep hill that gets ice or snowbound. Heck - even my driveway in the winter makes a 2WD useless. Front-wheel cars usually get stuck here and a RWD 2WD pickup is useless. UPS guy got his truck stuck here a few days ago. I guess I should of told him to learn how to drive?

A 2WD, rear-wheel-drive truck is one of the worst-traction vehicles made. Only exceptions I can think of are rigs like a rear-engine VW or Corvan - and they are hardly what I all real trucks. I will also note that in some conditions, a "Posi" rear can just make things worse. I will note that 4WD trucks when in 2WD seem to get worse traction then a 2WD truck. Balance of weight maybe?

I live on a very steep driveway and once on top, have about a mile of private road I have to plow myself (if I want to bother). Half the winter, there has yet to be a 2WD be able to get out of here not counting warm spells when all the ice melts. My 1998 AWD Grand Caravan has been one of the best vehicles on ice I have ever owned. It is rusting out and not sure what I can find to replace it with (without spending a fortune). I keep a ton of weight in the back bed of my F150 plow truck - and it still won't even try to make it out of here in 2WD.

I will note that if I lived somewhere with no steep climbs - I'd opt for some sort of front-wheel drive rig because they are easily found cheaper then an AWD or 4WD. I cannot imagine trying to get around in a high snow/ice area with a 2WD pickup. If I HAD to, it was have a lot of weight in the back. Just got an AWD Pontiac Vibe as a backup vehicle. It goes up the driveway OK but not if I stop on the way up and try to get going again. Spins like a top. My 4WD Tracker is just as bad (or good).

That all said - I was a "in the field or woods" mechanic for a John Deere forestry dealer for many years. My first service vehicle was a 1979 Ford (Mazda) Courier 2WD. I went some amazing places with that thing in deep woods and snow. But it was horribly overloaded with tools and equipment in back and that made a big difference. Carried chains with me and had to put them on to get out of some real bad spots. That 2WD Courier finally got replaced with an International Scout 4WD. It was likely the worse handing vehicle on the highway I ever drove (while severely overloaded) but that thing would almost go anywhere.
Well sounds like to me you picked a bad place to live....
Old 12-30-2016, 04:40 AM
Your worst nightmare.....

Thanked 4,918 Times in 2,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingslower View Post
2WD is just fine.
Fine, that is, if you have nowhere to go, all day to get there, and nothing to haul.
And it gives someone with nothing to do and nowhere to go plenty of time to talk about their superior "driving skills" to those that snicker behind their back.
This is an old discussion between the "look where all we can go" crowd with 2wd and the "look where all you CAN'T go" crowd with the 4wd.
I have 4WD, myself. But not in every vehicle. So I can tell the difference without simply putting it down. I say make the best with what you got and not dump on others.
And the funny part is this: unless you have limited slip and/or lockers, 2WD is ONE wheel drive and 4WD is TWO wheel drive.

A '91? That's a 26 year old vehicle as it sits right now. So even if the transmission can be repaired without rebuilding, it will need rebuilding soon enough. Same with pretty much everything else from the engine to the heater core. If you're good with that, it's a great choice. I have cars from the 70s and 80s, myself. It's definitely as has been said: a choice based on the right price.

If you got 4WD covered, it's a great choice, too.

DS
Again....if you have 2WD ....and know how to drive.....no problem