Car parts to stock in car? what broke that caused you be stranded once? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What spare parts to stock for ar15? mygunisjammed Rifle Forum 16 10-31-2016 06:15 AM
BROWNELLS AR-15 Receiver Set w/ Lower Parts Kit & Stock - $451.24 shipped slickguns.com For Sale 0 10-08-2016 01:58 PM

Old 12-21-2016, 05:36 PM

Default Car parts to stock in car? what broke that caused you be stranded once?

Advertise Here

Ive been stranded due to dead battery, flat tire, broke fan belt, broke a fan belt pulley which broke a belt once also, water pump failure, fuel pump failure, no keys, frozen fuel line possibly once, delayed from icy windshield, broke brake line and sticking calipers, out of fuel,,... so with all this,,here is what i'd for sure like to keep in a car from now on..
1. a way to jump yourself off like those battery jumper boxes,
2. spare tire and good jack. and some fix a flat cans.
3.extra fan belt and tools to put a new one on.
4. be sure to have plenty of fuel before you leave.
5. if your car is old, have an extra thermostate and fan belt pulley wheel, and extra radiator cap.
6. some water and radiator fluid.

when i broke down about 100 miles from nowhere, i was wishing i had got the name of some tow trucks in different towns that i'd be passing thru. i got lucky and had a brochure that i had picked up earlier at a truck stop that had a two truck name for that area, he took me back to his shop and put on a new water pump and thermostat which took a few hours to get and put on. if i had had that in my car it wouldnt have took long at all to get going again.

but for sure,, have a jumper battery and whatever you need for flats, and a spare fan belt.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mygunisjammed For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2016, 08:45 PM
Prepared

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.

Reliable comms on the road has been a life saver for me several times. 2 meter ham repeaters give good coverage over most of the country, but doing the long haul over the road, 40 meters SSB gives transcontinental coverage and you can always find somebody on ECARS, NorthCARS or SouthCARs, GoodSam or the CountyHunters to do a phone patch for you when out of cell coverage.

Only thing better than ham is Iridium if your employer pays for it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2016, 08:48 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 24,983 Times in 6,556 Posts

Spare bulbs and fuses...hose repair and a gallon of the correct coolant...at least one quart of oil...washer fluid...
The Following User Says Thank You to jelloman For This Useful Post:

Old 12-21-2016, 09:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,810 Times in 3,952 Posts

Blown rod bearing. Twice. On two different cars. Blown transmission. Twice. Same car.
Blown timing belt. Left me halfway from home to work. On the coldest day of the year. With a back seat full of leftover booze from a boys weekend.
The usual flat tires, dead battery, overheat, etc. are usually no biggie.
I've driven an endless run of beaters so you get used to diagnosing and fixing stuff on the fly.
I had a semi race 66 Mustang I used to drive to work on occasion years ago. It digested a lifter AND pushrod after an ill advised parking lot burnout. Ran on seven cylinders for quite awhile. Never did find the lifter or pushrod.
The Following User Says Thank You to 240Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,880 Times in 793 Posts

Never stranded but an extra fan belt and motor oil saved me from getting that way on two occasions.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:16 AM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 4,843 Times in 1,462 Posts

Serpentine belt broke just short of Colby Kansas on I70. Had tools and other belts, just not that one particular belt. Wouldn't ya know it? You can't carry a whole spare car.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:22 AM

This is one of those combination threads that aren't always clear. It sounds like a "what left you stranded?" question, but that's not especially useful because every car and DRIVER are different. Still, it's fun to complain about being stranded.

There's also the "what spares do I need?" thread, but that is invariably polluted with endless lists of parts store inventories, needed or not.

The parts I would stock in my BoV will be very different than the likely parts needed in, say, a poorly maintained 1990 Honda Civic. The former has a few and is quite secure while the latter would need to literally pull a trailer full of likely suspects. It depends on where you're starting from.

It also depends on how you view preventative maintenance. A serpentine belt? No chance. Simply because any serp belt will outlive any 2 or 3 accessories it drives. If you change an alternator and a water pump but DON'T change a serp belt, then yes it will fail. But if you change it every few idler changes, it will never fail -- or at least several other things will fail first.

And it also depends on how deep you want to go. Years ago, i was stranded in Tulsa with a spun bearing in a Toyota. Who would carry such a thing?? But it wasn't the Toyota's fault, it was my overlooking some preventative maintenance. Cars will remind you of that. In fact, that's usually the case.

Unless you keep track of everything you've done to your car, you can't possibly predict what will be needed next to any degree of probability. That's more work than most people want to do. I do it with my BoV, but not with my Daily.

DS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dyingslower For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2016, 10:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,382 Times in 2,784 Posts

All of my vehicles have spare fluids in them, and I usually keep the old wiper blades and brake pads when I replace them, JIC. I've seen new stuff just self destruct too often to trust it until it's got a few miles on it. Tools, spare fuses and bulbs, some wire, duct tape, JB Weld, silicon sealant, some grease.

No parts. My theory is whatever part you carry will NEVER be the one that breaks, so the best way to make sure nothing breaks is to carry an entire spare car...but that's not practical, so I carry a phone and a credit card. Sometimes it will be a long walk or a long wait to USE those things...but that's how all the best stories start. There I was, 100 miles out in the middle of.....
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,156 Times in 486 Posts

Nearly every stranding I've had was the car's CPU or the fuel pump. Not exactly fix-it-and-go type of failures.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macruadhi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2016, 01:34 PM
Blue in a Red state

Thanked 35,036 Times in 11,157 Posts

Zip ties, hose clamps, electrical tape, duct tape, syphon kit, headlight, hands free light for working.
We have most of the basics mentioned here. Neither of us know enough to work on a car past maintenance but I carry tools and a Chilton for someone who can. We have radiator and gas caps and a fan belt but no fan pulley. I guess we could add one of those if they are not too expensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2016, 03:38 PM

when my serp belt broke, it was due to that wheel pulley that spins on its own but it had bearings in it.. my suv is about 16 years old now and i guess the bearings went out and then it got loose and broke my belt and so i was on the side of the highway, lucky for me i called my friend and he stop by autozone and got me a belt and new pulley wheel (if thats what you call it) and we put it on right there on the side of the road, no big deal as long as you some tools.
moral of the story, replace that pulley wheel if its old, as well as your radiator cap (they rot and leak around the seal and let air bubbles in). glad ya'll reminded me of having spare can of oil and duct tape.

if you can still find one, put a metal coat hanger in your car, you can undo them and open car doors with them or fetch keys left on a seat if the window is cracked.. todays hangers are usually plastic so save a metal one while u can.
The Following User Says Thank You to mygunisjammed For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2016, 04:02 PM
Trapper

I'm guessing you mean tensioner pulley.

As for the radiator cap, I suggest everyone get the kind that has the pressure relief handle on top, that way you can open the radiator while it's still hot (carefully) to add coolant.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:13 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
Reliable comms on the road has been a life saver for me several times. 2 meter ham repeaters give good coverage over most of the country, but doing the long haul over the road, 40 meters SSB gives transcontinental coverage and you can always find somebody on ECARS, NorthCARS or SouthCARs, GoodSam or the CountyHunters to do a phone patch for you when out of cell coverage.
Two meters can be dead as a doornail in some places, particularly when you're away from a major city and/or the time is outside of the AM or PM rush hours.

Forty meters is OK for some help, but don't forget that phone patches are dependent on the other station having a "landline" phone and a phone patch - and both are getting rare as hen's teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
Only thing better than ham is Iridium if your employer pays for it.
If you're calling your employer, I'd agree, but Iridium's central office is in Costa Rica, and any return call has to be dialed back to that country. Very few people are willing to dial international calls, and AAA will flat-out refuse. Iridium phones are OK for outgoing calls, but if you're calling AAA or anohter road-side service, you'll have to tell them you're using a borrowed cell phone.

HTH.

William Warren
Old 12-23-2016, 07:28 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 54,253 Times in 7,471 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Most of the standard maintenance and service items have been listed. Here are some of the things I have carried, or intend to carry when finances allow:

A repair manual (very important)
A replacement starter
A replacement alternator
A replacement A/C compressor
A replacement power steering pump
Pre-flashed computers
At least one extra mounted spare
A set of primary, will not run without, sensors
A set of 'make-do' parts so you can limp home if need be
A set of 'non-specific fix-it parts' such as JB Weld, mechanic's wire, zip ties, electrical wire, connectors, clamps, and things of this nature

Of course, all the necessary tools and specialty items needed to do the replacement. Along with enough replacement consumables for the installation, in addition to the maintenance and service quantities.

The best, and easiest (though more expensive), way to have items that will work is to go ahead and replace the current ones when you know they are working, and have the new ones put in. That way you know the things are going to work. I have had more than one instance when the auto parts store gave the wrong part to me or to the mechanic. This is a good way to upgrade, too. Keep the original parts, as long as they will still fit, else you will have to either keep what it takes to put them back in, or carry a replacement identical part.

Even if you cannot carry all of these parts in the vehicle all the time, try to at least have them at home. Carry them on trips if at all possible, even though that can impact cargo space.

It is extremely important to carry some of these parts with you when travelling, especially when getting away from major metro areas, if you have an unusual, uncommon vehicle that does not use more or less easily available parts. It could take days to get the right part for some vehicles, even during normal times. In a crisis, it could be weeks, or even not at all.

And it is much better to have the right tools, especially specialty tools if at all possible, even if you cannot do the work yourself. A mechanic might not have everything required to do the job. Not to mention, you might be out on the road or in the back country, but a mechanic, even a jack-leg/shade tree mechanic, might be available, and can do the work if you supply everything needed. Including the repair manual.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Target Shooter

Stranded...

One car caught on fire. Too cold in winter, oil burst out on top of the engine and burned thru spark plug wires. I extinguished fire by throwing snow into the engine bay. Kept the car for several years after that.

Next one had timing chain/tensioner whatever break. Not belt, chain. Sold the car, next guy got a replacement engine.

Then one car had a water hose connector break between engine and firewall. Everything I poured in came right out, so I had it towed to the service.

My current car just had it's alternator break few weeks ago... It did still run but automatic gearbox stopped working so it was towing time again.

Those have happened in almost 25 years timespan so not everything breaks that I touch.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:45 PM
Your worst nightmare.....

Thanked 4,853 Times in 1,982 Posts

Here is what is currently in the back of my Avalanche

Large footlocker containing
New AC Delco starter and Alternator
New Delphi fuel pump module assembly
1 new front hub assembly
Set of Goodyear belts
Professional tire repair kit
Set of spark plugs
Set of wires

Electrical repair stuff
2 Fluke meters
Clamp ammeter AC/DC
Relays
Fuse kit
Wiring

Fluids
2 gal coolant
6 quarts oil
Oil filter
2 pints brake fluid
1 QT trans fluid
1 gal water

Excellent set of mechanics tools
2 1/2 ton floor jack
5 ton bottle jack
HD jumper cables...long...made from welding cables
Jack stand
Blocks of wood
Jumper / compressor
300w DC / AC inverter
OTC Genesis Scan tool with scope module
Fuel pressure test kit
Snap on Blue point Kv ignition tester
Midtronics battery tester
1/2 torque wrench
3/8 torque wrench
AC Guages R134a
Power Probe 3 Kit
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2016, 09:48 PM
Your worst nightmare.....

Thanked 4,853 Times in 1,982 Posts

2 separate occasions I found myself broke down in the past year

Once was a water pump ...I had all the parts needed...fixed on the road

Another was front bearing problem... I had the parts I needed....pulled into a Walmart parking lot and did the repair
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2016, 10:57 PM
Trapper

Jerry and Goodwrench, with that much stuff to haul around, may as well just shove a Smartcar into your trunk. It would probably be cheaper and save on gas!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macruadhi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2016, 11:35 PM
Trapper

Thanked 4,051 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Here is what is currently in the back of my Avalanche

Large footlocker containing
New AC Delco starter and Alternator
New Delphi fuel pump module assembly
1 new front hub assembly
Set of Goodyear belts
Professional tire repair kit
Set of spark plugs
Set of wires

Electrical repair stuff
2 Fluke meters
Clamp ammeter AC/DC
Relays
Fuse kit
Wiring

Fluids
2 gal coolant
6 quarts oil
Oil filter
2 pints brake fluid
1 QT trans fluid
1 gal water

Excellent set of mechanics tools
2 1/2 ton floor jack
5 ton bottle jack
HD jumper cables...long...made from welding cables
Jack stand
Blocks of wood
Jumper / compressor
300w DC / AC inverter
OTC Genesis Scan tool with scope module
Fuel pressure test kit
Snap on Blue point Kv ignition tester
Midtronics battery tester
1/2 torque wrench
3/8 torque wrench
AC Guages R134a
Power Probe 3 Kit
PP3? Man that is the one toy I wish I could afford... Till then I get by with a scope on a rope, and good old fashioned multimeter. 😎

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2016, 11:37 PM
Trapper

Thanked 4,051 Times in 789 Posts

Forgot to add... AAA towing. They will get you to the nearest parts place, so you aren't carrying around a bunch of stuff in ur car.

Like Jerry mentioned, go to the junk yard and grab a few vital sensors. The cold is not nice to sensors on older cars.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revelations 8 For This Useful Post: