Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BOV repair necessities atomkey Vehicles & Transportation 43 12-01-2016 06:17 AM

Old 11-18-2016, 12:52 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 10,122 Times in 3,822 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogo49 View Post
Well, here in The States, I would say,.. NOT AT ALL.
Never been to Europe, but I do admire the Trabant. Truly a survivor.
Not true. There's a Trabant club in the U.S. Not many of them here, but there are a few. They can be imported, but not in CA.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2016, 04:09 AM
Prepared

Yours looks sweet and would make a great little runabout. However I watched the video you posted and I'm too old to spend that much time pushing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2016, 06:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,345 Times in 2,896 Posts

I think the bullet proof glass and the enclosed cabin make for ideal defenses in a SHTF scenario when needing to drive through angry mobs of looters/rioters/etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Popeye Doyle For This Useful Post:

Old 11-19-2016, 07:11 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye Doyle View Post
I think the bullet proof glass and the enclosed cabin make for ideal defenses in a SHTF scenario when needing to drive through angry mobs of looters/rioters/etc.
The angry mobs and rioters will be in the cities. They will starve to death long before they reach here. If they should get here, they will meet an entire community well prepared to defend their resources..
The Following User Says Thank You to Elvin Moseid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2016, 07:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,345 Times in 2,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin Moseid View Post
The angry mobs and rioters will be in the cities. They will starve to death long before they reach here. If they should get here, they will meet an entire community well prepared to defend their resources..
Can the rig ford a stream/river/etc. with its low ground clearance?
The Following User Says Thank You to Popeye Doyle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2016, 08:01 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye Doyle View Post
Can the rig ford a stream/river/etc. with its low ground clearance?
Not deeper than the road clearance allows.. But it weighs 700 kilos, so it doesn't take much to ferry it over.

This is not a "Doomsday" vehicle thoug. It is a post SHTF local - semilocal transportation vehicle, for use on roads, back roads and some terrain. It is the conclusion of my needs assessment. Now, a small Suzuki jeep would give me more off road capability, but also a more complex car that require more special tools and parts. Then again, with a winch and some pullies, I can traverse quite a lot of obstacles, should the need arise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elvin Moseid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2016, 08:11 AM
Kiss my Grass

Neat video and a fun little car!

Sometimes keeping things cheap, simple, and effective is best!
The Following User Says Thank You to ManVsLawn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 07:29 AM

Reminds me of the model T Ford. Most of the same advantages and disadvantages. The Ford, though, has ground clearance. Also, parts, believe it or not, are still readily available.
The Following User Says Thank You to uglydukwling For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2016, 04:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglydukwling View Post
Reminds me of the model T Ford. Most of the same advantages and disadvantages. The Ford, though, has ground clearance. Also, parts, believe it or not, are still readily available.
Now wouldn't THAT be an idea.....or the Willys MB....in new form.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:19 PM

This is silly.

A Trabant is an abysmal automobile for a desperate people controlled by a senseless tyranny. They lasted because there was no choice. The government told you what you could own, how you could own it, and IF you could own it. So any "data" from the prior regime will have little value today.

Or will it? Perhaps Norway will immediately turn into another East Germany once the Islamics take control. That's possible. So in that case, it might be a good idea.

But for bugging out? Bugging out to WHERE? In Norway? It hasn't the power to climb. It hasn't the clearance for snow. It can barely clear a curb without damage. So any obstacle whatsoever will be insurmountable. And every pound of gear it's loaded with will decrease the performance.

With model T wheels, it could possibly emulate some model T tricks. Only need to cut that plastic away for clearance.

But if, as you say, you can keep it on a road (probably paved) and use it for duty that resembles a golf cart, then why not have it? It's an underpowered, 4 wheel, motorcycle with a body. Fun, fun, fun! Can't argue with the fun part.

Most importantly, it's already painted olive drab and as we all know, that's what makes everything useful and capable.

DS
Old 12-27-2016, 03:12 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingslower View Post
This is silly.

A Trabant is an abysmal automobile for a desperate people controlled by a senseless tyranny. They lasted because there was no choice. The government told you what you could own, how you could own it, and IF you could own it. So any "data" from the prior regime will have little value today.

Or will it? Perhaps Norway will immediately turn into another East Germany once the Islamics take control. That's possible. So in that case, it might be a good idea.

But for bugging out? Bugging out to WHERE? In Norway? It hasn't the power to climb. It hasn't the clearance for snow. It can barely clear a curb without damage. So any obstacle whatsoever will be insurmountable. And every pound of gear it's loaded with will decrease the performance.

With model T wheels, it could possibly emulate some model T tricks. Only need to cut that plastic away for clearance.

But if, as you say, you can keep it on a road (probably paved) and use it for duty that resembles a golf cart, then why not have it? It's an underpowered, 4 wheel, motorcycle with a body. Fun, fun, fun! Can't argue with the fun part.

Most importantly, it's already painted olive drab and as we all know, that's what makes everything useful and capable.

DS
Your objections have been duly noted. Thank you for your concern.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingslower View Post
This is silly.

DS
Hummm, Could have just said it was stupid and not a good idea.?????
Old 01-01-2017, 01:32 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 1,723 Times in 595 Posts

I'd have to go with a Cushman vehicle here in the states. I have an old van version of one that will haul two times what that thing will haul at least. Kawasaki 26hp motor, three wheeler..

You could use it for selling ice cream to all the zombies and gang bangers during shtf.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:12 PM

Cool looking little dude. Almost like an old Kaiser
Old 01-12-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
The car had an average lifespan of 28 years in the GDR, something no western product even comes close to.
That was not a choice. They kept their derelict Trabants because they weren't allowed to buy modern, western automobiles, but as soon as Germany was reunited, most eastern Germans dumped them.

I had a ride in a Trabant in Germany, in the 90's, and that was the slowest car I've been into. You had to floor it to move forward, and it was good at making noise, but it was slower than a moped. An old beetle too, is very easy to fix, and it can be much faster, with plenty of parts available.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:02 AM

Anything with an engine that you can take out and fix on bench with a few simple tools is a good idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to max_q For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2017, 10:44 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_q View Post
Anything with an engine that you can take out and fix on bench with a few simple tools is a good idea.
I'd rather have an engine I don't have to pull out. Nice to have one that parts are available for too.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:43 AM
All over Europe

Thanked 7,248 Times in 2,049 Posts

A Trabant?? They were all over Eastern Europe 25 years ago, but haven't seen one now in years. I cannot begin to tell you how much a Trabbie would be wrong as a BOV. Unless you intend to do a Fred Flintstone... anything still around would have rotted out floors.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,971 Times in 2,742 Posts

Quote:
No I am in Norway..
I'm wondering if you don't have an old 1980's Volvo as backup car?
Friend of mine (Vietnam Vet) has a Volvo wagon with somewhere around 400k on it. Still works. Being located where you are a Volvo would make the most sense for part availability.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/miles.php
Old 01-31-2017, 02:33 AM
Prepared

I have a 60'es, ex army Volvo Valp (L3314N), refitted with the more modern B-20 engine, instead of the original B-18.