Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you do the no carb no sugar thing... partndn Health, Fitness and First Aid 92 12-02-2016 03:45 AM
Whats the LATEST thing you found that you like? Dude111 Food and water 25 11-08-2016 05:30 PM
Thing of WikiLeaks & Trump Tapes PeterEnergy General Discussion 15 10-10-2016 09:16 PM

Old 11-08-2016, 12:01 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
I would get something pre-chip so it will run after the EMP. Have a covered trailer that takes the same tires/wheels as the BOV. It should have a full size spare tire. Be really nice if it had a gas tank under it too. Keep it loaded, put your last minute stuff inside the BOV.

So for me I have a 72 FJ-40 and a 62 chevy step side pickup bed trailer. I need to finish the trailer. I want to build an insulated pop up camper in it. It will have propane and LED lighting and perhaps up to 40 gallons of gas to go with the 30 in the Land Cruiser.

Thanks, Charlie. This is where I'm leaning, as I mentioned in another reply. I am working on coming up with a plan for a BO shelf in my garage, with all the stuff we'll need just to throw in the car in haste. It sounds like you've got quite the setup already!

I am worried about the EMP. I also feel better about having a car that isn't a complete mystery to me, like the Volvos.
The Following User Says Thank You to KyrieEleison For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,079 Times in 3,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrieEleison View Post
I love Jeeps. My dad has had Cherokees all my life- the old body, not new (absolute abomination, IMHO). The only thing that worries me is the whole EMP thing. I don't know how paranoid I'm being, but I feel like that is one of the biggest threats to stability in this country. I think this is mainly why I would lean toward a Wagoneer in this case, as what I read is that even during the sale to Chrysler, they were never upgraded to fuel injection, or really computerized in any way. I might be wrong, but this is comforting to me.

As my screen name may imply I'm a bit of a Jeep nut. If you have mechanical skills (or will learn them), it's fairly easy to prep a Jeep or any vehicle for post shtf. The Cherokee platform was suggested because it's solid and works well. With some effort you can find good used ones for very little money. They can carry a decent amount of gear securely and are capable off road. On road ride as a DD isn't bad and fuel mileage is around 18-19. Parts are readily available and junkyards are usually full of them. Find a 4.0 with a manual tranny and you would be well served. Buy an adapter and carb along with a fuel pump and you can reasonably set it up to run without any functional computers. Add a small bug out trailer and a roof rack and you could take a large amount of preps with you.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol View Post
Nothing beats a paid for vehicle...
I buy them new, keep and take care of them...

4X4 trucks are what I like and use...towing, hunting trails, daily driving.
Last three trucks were new Ford F-150.....sold the 1988 and sorry I did.....That one I could fix.
Newer 2008 F-250 w/40k in the garage, bought new.
Driving the 1999 F-150 130K bought new, now a daily driver.
DW 2001 PT Cruiser 40K bought new.

All paid for.....
Every time I see a promising Jeep or smaller truck......I just think....Don't want a note.

Couldn't agree with you more! In my opinion, it's very 'un-prepper like' to have debt on consumer goods, especially vehicles. I haven't had a car note since I was a dumb 18 year old who bought a brand new car off the lot... That was a big ouch, and I haven't had a car payment since!

Old 11-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 4,911 Times in 1,374 Posts

Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more! In my opinion, it's very 'un-prepper like' to have debt on consumer goods, especially vehicles. I haven't had a car note since I was a dumb 18 year old who bought a brand new car off the lot... That was a big ouch, and I haven't had a car payment since!
I don't think EMP is a major threat. We are all going to eat each other before Kim Jung Roly-Poly figures out how to get a nuke into low level space. And it would hurt all the economies of the countries that could actually do it.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,611 Posts

The specific answer depends on where you live and what "BOV" means to you. Here is what I mean: if you live in a suburb, the best bet might be a full size SUV (I recommend GM). If you live (or plan to live) in a rural area, you will need a truck (and an SUV, if you have a larger family than you two). And what is "BOV" to you? Are you planning to go somewhere in particular?
The Following User Says Thank You to GG42 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClovisMan View Post
I don't think EMP is a major threat. We are all going to eat each other before Kim Jung Roly-Poly figures out how to get a nuke into low level space. And it would hurt all the economies of the countries that could actually do it.
Hah! Yes, I agree he would be the only one insane enough to do something like that! I don't quite know how regions would fare with an EMP of a natural variety. I guess i'm just kind of scared of anything and everything!
Old 11-08-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
As my screen name may imply I'm a bit of a Jeep nut. If you have mechanical skills (or will learn them), it's fairly easy to prep a Jeep or any vehicle for post shtf. The Cherokee platform was suggested because it's solid and works well. With some effort you can find good used ones for very little money. They can carry a decent amount of gear securely and are capable off road. On road ride as a DD isn't bad and fuel mileage is around 18-19. Parts are readily available and junkyards are usually full of them. Find a 4.0 with a manual tranny and you would be well served. Buy an adapter and carb along with a fuel pump and you can reasonably set it up to run without any functional computers. Add a small bug out trailer and a roof rack and you could take a large amount of preps with you.
Thanks- and yes, I think the Cherokee is a great option. I love my dad's and always wanted one like my mom drove back in the early 90s with the burgundy and plaid interior! Loved it. I'll check out this option, especially the mods you talk about- I am somewhat adept at mechanical stuff and so is the hubby. The less complex it is to work on, the more comfortable I feel.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG42 View Post
The specific answer depends on where you live and what "BOV" means to you. Here is what I mean: if you live in a suburb, the best bet might be a full size SUV (I recommend GM). If you live (or plan to live) in a rural area, you will need a truck (and an SUV, if you have a larger family than you two). And what is "BOV" to you? Are you planning to go somewhere in particular?
Right now we live in the city, unfortunately. Our neighborhood has many exit points, though, and is quite ideally situated to many routes that would get us out of Dodge quickly. Back roads are less than 3 miles away. Our plan initially would be to head up north as fast as we could, using only back roads. We do live in Michigan, so it would definitely have to be a 4x4 truck/suv type vehicle. We do have a teenager, and a cat (can't forget her), so I think some sort of SUV would be best.

I'd like it to be able to traverse rough terrain if needed, as well as navigate snow without much difficulty. Hence why I've been leaning toward Jeep. Maybe it's just the familiarity that I have with them, but I really do know those suckers go through anything.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:09 PM
Awaiting ***** suspension

Thanked 13,385 Times in 4,608 Posts

Quote:

My husband has had the idea that ...

I'm all for it...

wait, you and your husband are in agreement on prepping and being prepared for a variety of future potential problems?

is that a first on this forum?
Old 11-08-2016, 02:10 PM
on a journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClovisMan View Post
I will second what Dune said. Any Chevrolet/GMC Full-size 4x4 like the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Silverado Pick-ups from 99 - Up are rock solid and cheap to maintain. The Junkyards are full of them so parts are easy to come by used if need be. The LS series V8 engine in these vehicles have been known to last into the 220k-300k miles if properly maintained. Find one with around 100k on it and you are golden.
^^^This actually answers a number of questions I was going to make a separate thread about.Thank you very much Clovis.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
wait, you and your husband are in agreement on prepping and being prepared for a variety of future potential problems?

is that a first on this forum?
Had to LOL on this one!!!

I'm the luckiest girl in the world. Just sayin'!
Old 11-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,384 Times in 7,000 Posts

We are trading reliable for emp resistance?

Buy the car that everyone else buys. (within reason) for me that would be a Toyota.

Then there are more parts. And more people who can fix the thing.

And you get to blend in with everyone else.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,079 Times in 3,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
We are trading reliable for emp resistance?

Buy the car that everyone else buys. (within reason) for me that would be a Toyota.

Then there are more parts. And more people who can fix the thing.

And you get to blend in with everyone else.

As in Camry? Number 1 most often stollen vehicles in the us? Pass. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
As in Camry? Number 1 most often stollen vehicles in the us? Pass. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll agree with you here, Ted. I suppose what I'm ultimately looking for is simplicity. Something we can do a patch job on if necessary. Doesn't have to look pretty or stylish. Just has to work and be able to be fixed by a couple amateurs.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,413 Times in 578 Posts

I haven't seen where you are bugging out to. ?? In most scenarios fuel is going to be difficult if not impossible to get--so you will be limited to one tank full of fuel. Highways clog up fast, and doing an end run just because you have a 4 x 4 may not be practical.

Look at what the most likely scenario would be where you live and where you want to go.
The older trucks, if totally restored would be great. But the cost to put in all new parts of running gear alone might be prohibitive.

We have two BOV--but the only realistic place we would be going would be at least 400 miles away---and it might be 1200 miles. Although one of our vehicles (Diesel with large tank) could go 800 miles plus--the reality is that with roads plugged up, we would be lucky to get 400 miles. The other 400 range mile gas SUV 4 x 4, with road conditions, we might be lucky to get 200 miles. For a hurricane (biggest danger in our area), that is more than satisfactory. But all of the other potential disasters, I figure that we are just going to stay local (semi rural).

So where you are going, has to factor in!
The Following User Says Thank You to thataway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 07:23 PM

I thought long and hard about this same question before buying my 1997 Suburban a couple years back to go with my other two cars.

After thinking back on my experiences with older cars ranging from 1935-1987 versus the newer models (1988+), I decided EMP resistance was over-rated in comparison to the mechanical reliability, better MPG, and far better rust resistance of the 1990s and early 2000s models, particularly for a daily driver.

Most American trucks or SUVs are simple to work on in comparison to the same model year car. My 1997 Suburban is not a complicated vehicle to work on, and aside from the electronics, will be almost as easy to fix as a 1970s vintage truck. It has almost 200K on it and the 5.7 engine does not leak nor burn oil. Small block Chevy's last a long time, particularly those made in the 1990s and later. The parts are also cheap.

A small block Chevy truck/SUV would be my first choice. Fords with the non-modular V8 engine (pre-1995 or so) or any year with a straight six would be second choice, and Jeeps with the 4.0 straight six for the 1990 up Cherokees, or V8 for the CJ5/CJ7 models would be a distant third choice only if they could haul the amount of cargo I need.

If you need to haul a lot of cargo, people, and animals, a K2500 Suburban is a good choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to BullDogBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 07:12 AM

After re-reading your first post, it strikes me that:

1. You're gonna get a lengthy and somewhat swirling list of favorite vehicles. This always happens. Ford/Chevy/Jeep, of course. These are front runners in the BoV world. As time goes on, you will sooner or later get a recommendation for everything with 4 wheels (or at least 3 wheels ;-)

2. The subject matter will diverge. Right now, it's going down the "emp road". It will go down several others. (BTW, only a couple of vehicles are EMP proof. All are "EMP resistant" to some unknown degree.) But despite the fact that was never the issue, it will become the discussion.

3. From what i can see from your post, there might be a real need in the Vehicle Maintenance Skill section. Owning a Volvo is not inherently expensive. A friend of mine owns Volvos. He buys them cheap when people like you are tired of 'dumping money into it'. He does major repairs and does them all himself and drives very nice cars for pennies on the dollar. Knowledge is power.

This can be done with ANY vehicle. Mercedes? Caddy? Chevy? Does not matter. The reliability is not in the vehicle because anything mechanical can and will fail. The long term reliability is in your ability to make those repairs.

So you can daily drive your BoV. Nothing wrong with that. Just be clear that you'll need to be engaged in all manner of upkeep. If you buy a newer one, there's fewer failures, but more complexity. If you buy an older one, there's more failures, but potentially far simpler. Or you can do like me and build one up from the frame, thus having new vehicle reliability with old vehicle simplicity. Time and money. It's only time and money

Oh, and one more thing. We learned in the last few years a valuable lesson about supply and demand. When everyone is after the same ammo, because they own the same gun, there is no ammo on the shelves. If you shoot what everyone else shoots, they'll get to the ammo before you do and there will be none for you. Meanwhile, obscure calibers will just sit there, untouched.

The same is true for anything else, including cars. If you drive the same Chevy that everyone else does, the time will come that you need the same parts everyone else does. Right now, that means there's plenty. But after some shocking shake-up, that means you'll be waiting a very long time, if you ever get the part at all. Meanwhile the more obscure parts will just sit there longing for a home.

Worth some thought, maybe.

DS
Old 11-13-2016, 08:09 AM
Prepared

http://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/5864021176.html

I was debating this but decided on Friday to go with a 2500HD since a truck suits my needs better.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:44 PM

I own a Lincoln Aviator. Factory 302HP, standard size lift/tire size but upgraded to Bridgestone H-speed rated (130MPH) all terrains, Cold Air Intake & deleted the exhaust resonator. It's very quiet unless my foot's to the floor. I've yet to have to go through a Mad Max wasteland but have needed to drive it on the street almost daily. It's comfortable, blends in, very fast for an SUV & handles like a sports car. I've taken corners at speeds that terrified a few friends. If I ever need to use it off-road it'll do what I need it to do. I have a RagePowerSports roof rack & Hitch rack that can be installed in minutes. As much as I used to love driving a lifted truck in the past...I'll take the daily comfort over that anymore.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:20 PM
Crazy

Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,395 Posts

Dang i have beater cars setting all over. The thoughts of only one car would scare me. I lost a car one time and didn't realize it for a few weeks.