Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you do the no carb no sugar thing... partndn Health, Fitness and First Aid 92 12-02-2016 03:45 AM
Whats the LATEST thing you found that you like? Dude111 Food and water 25 11-08-2016 05:30 PM
Thing of WikiLeaks & Trump Tapes PeterEnergy General Discussion 15 10-10-2016 09:16 PM

Old 11-08-2016, 08:09 AM

Default BOV/Daily Driver - Are we doing the right thing?

Advertise Here

I guess I'd just like reassurance from those with more experience that we are doing the right thing here

My husband and I currently have 2 cars, 10+ year old AWD Volvos (paid for). We had decided to go down to 1 car because I stay at home and his work is only about 10 minutes away. We plan on sharing the car when I need to do errands, etc... We figure that eliminating one car will save us tons of money on repairs, gas, oil changes, insurance, etc... Probably at least a grand a year.

These cars have really been money pits for us. They are expensive to fix, expensive to maintain, and aren't dirt cheap to insure (we live in MI, a no-fault state= expensive insurance).

My husband has had the idea that he wanted to trade one car out for a BOV/Beater SUV; old full-size Bronco, Blazer, F150, etc... but now we are thinking that the smart thing to do may be to sell the other Volvo as well and go down to a daily driver that could also be used as a BOV.

I'm all for it, except I'm a bit apprehensive to buy something that could have been ragged on, used for mudding, etc... Around here, a lot of those types of vehicles have been lifted and used for play. My solace comes from the fact that there is no way a repair on one of these types of vehicles would cost anywhere close to the repairs on the Volvos, and that it would obviously be a debt-free vehicle.

Are we thinking the right thing here, or are we setting ourselves up for disaster and heartbreak by having a vehicle that is old and potentially unreliable?

Thanks so much!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:12 AM

I guess I may have posted this in the wrong area, sorry! I'll post it in the vehicles section!
The Following User Says Thank You to KyrieEleison For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 08:15 AM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 5,993 Times in 2,354 Posts

Instead of going to "old and unreliable" find a 10yo vehicle with moderate miles that was well taken care of. Around here, at least, they seem to be everywhere so you may have to travel to find one.

I have a 2003 Yukon that is a great daily driver, cheap(ish) to fix, four wheel drive and would potentially be a great BOV for someone. The difference between my car and some others is that I have taken care of it. There are some really nice older vehicles that have been well-maintained if you know where to look...out west being a good bet four SUV's and trucks since that's what most people drive, and we don't have the rust issue.

Yukons and Tahoes seem to be pretty good vehicles from 15 years ago...mine has had small but easy to fix issues, and certainly not a money pit.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DuneElliot For This Useful Post:

Old 11-08-2016, 08:16 AM
Outlander Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrieEleison View Post
I guess I may have posted this in the wrong area, sorry! I'll post it in the vehicles section!
Just flag a mod to move it to the correct section rather than reposting
The Following User Says Thank You to DuneElliot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 08:23 AM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 4,914 Times in 1,375 Posts

I will second what Dune said. Any Chevrolet/GMC Full-size 4x4 like the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Silverado Pick-ups from 99 - Up are rock solid and cheap to maintain. The Junkyards are full of them so parts are easy to come by used if need be. The LS series V8 engine in these vehicles have been known to last into the 220k-300k miles if properly maintained. Find one with around 100k on it and you are golden.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ClovisMan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
Just flag a mod to move it to the correct section rather than reposting
Thank you I don't know how to do this, though! Any help would be appreciated!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:31 AM
Outlander Territory

Quote:
Thank you I don't know how to do this, though! Any help would be appreciated!
Flagged for the mods. I just use the little red ! sign at the top right corner. Not sure if this is the correct way to do it...I'm sure Mike or Mel will tell me if I'm wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DuneElliot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 08:31 AM

I like what you both are saying. What do you think about earlier than that? My husband wants a 70s-80s era without power "anything". I'm for that, and I figure all those trucks are really easy to maintain because of the simplicity.

My family has always been Jeep people and I've got my eyes on something from the AMC era of Jeep - not sure how that would compare to the Chevys/Fords of the same era with regard to maintenance/repair?
Old 11-08-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Flagged for the mods. I just use the little red ! sign at the top right corner. Not sure if this is the correct way to do it...I'm sure Mike or Mel will tell me if I'm wrong.
Thank you!!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Outlander Territory

Quote:
I like what you both are saying. What do you think about earlier than that? My husband wants a 70s-80s era without power "anything". I'm for that, and I figure all those trucks are really easy to maintain because of the simplicity.

My family has always been Jeep people and I've got my eyes on something from the AMC era of Jeep - not sure how that would compare to the Chevys/Fords of the same era with regard to maintenance/repair?
I've owned 70s Ford trucks...very simple to repair, but they get pretty terrible gas mileage compared to modern vehicles so you probably wouldn't be saving any money. I don't care for Chevys from the same era personally. If you can find a vehicle in nice shape, go for it, but you are probably looking at high-mileage and real beat up for suburbans and broncos...trucks seem to be different and are often taken care of or restored. If you can find a four-door truck from that era that's great, but they are even harder to come by.
The Following User Says Thank You to DuneElliot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Free-ish Man

With what you describe, being close to work and all, I would go for the more capable vehicle. Do you have any friends who are knowledgeable about vehicles. repairs etc? Your concern about the vehicle having been abused is valid, but there are lots out there that have never been off road. Generally, if you stay away from ones that have been modified with things like big tires, lift kits, engine "upgrades" etc. you should be ok. If possible, look into getting one from the south. Lot less corrosion issues than you'll have with a Michigan vehicle.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 4,914 Times in 1,375 Posts

Ealier models will likely require more up front repair and or overhaul. If you are prepared to replace all or most of the front and rear suspension bushings, ball joints, and bearings and also reseal the engine and transmission, then an older model will work just fine. The newer models will have A/C not likely need much other a basic tune-up and get 20+ MPG. I personally have a 1978 Jeep Cherokee Chief that I've dumped ALOT of money into. If I had to do it again, I would buy a 1999-2001 Silverado Z-71 and just put sticky tires on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClovisMan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 08:48 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Instead of going to "old and unreliable" find a 10yo vehicle with moderate miles that was well taken care of. Around here, at least, they seem to be everywhere so you may have to travel to find one.

I have a 2003 Yukon that is a great daily driver, cheap(ish) to fix, four wheel drive and would potentially be a great BOV for someone. The difference between my car and some others is that I have taken care of it. There are some really nice older vehicles that have been well-maintained if you know where to look...out west being a good bet four SUV's and trucks since that's what most people drive, and we don't have the rust issue.

Yukons and Tahoes seem to be pretty good vehicles from 15 years ago...mine has had small but easy to fix issues, and certainly not a money pit.
Same here our BOV is my wife's daily driver. A 2002 Ford Expidition. You guys do little driving so gas miliage shouldn't be a factor. Take your time and look hard before buying and you can get a good deal buying these things older. Any of the big SUVs that are 10 years old and have mostly highway or daily driver miles will last a very long time. Stay away from the small ones like the Trailblazer that are built on a car frame. 200k miles is hard on them they are just too cheaply built.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Prepared

Quote:

I wouldn't do this unless it is a designated BOV. First as was stated they can be a real money pit to get right, and if you buy one that looks and runs real good and doesn't need any work it's actually cheaper to buy something late 90s to early 00s around here. Second because of that cash for clunkers stimulus there aren't any in the junkyards around here you have to find one as a parts car. Third while some parts are still realitivly easy to find try getting a replacement transmission or brake like. I've been making them for F series trucks for 17 years and I can tell you that they are made very low volume and to order for those old trucks will cost you because of all the retool time. Nobody has benders to make them now so they are short run CNC parts.

Oh and one last thing. Stay away from anything that's had a plow on it or has been used by contractors. Plowing is very hard on the whole thing and contractors tow heavy trailers all the time also very hard on the whole thing.

Last edited by Potawami II; 11-08-2016 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: One last thing
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,037 Times in 4,348 Posts

Find a 91-97 Jeep Cherokee XJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 09:41 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 12,908 Times in 5,590 Posts

I would get something pre-chip so it will run after the EMP. Have a covered trailer that takes the same tires/wheels as the BOV. It should have a full size spare tire. Be really nice if it had a gas tank under it too. Keep it loaded, put your last minute stuff inside the BOV.

So for me I have a 72 FJ-40 and a 62 chevy step side pickup bed trailer. I need to finish the trailer. I want to build an insulated pop up camper in it. It will have propane and LED lighting and perhaps up to 40 gallons of gas to go with the 30 in the Land Cruiser.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,846 Times in 1,276 Posts

Nothing beats a paid for vehicle...
I buy them new, keep and take care of them...

4X4 trucks are what I like and use...towing, hunting trails, daily driving.
Last three trucks were new Ford F-150.....sold the 1988 and sorry I did.....That one I could fix.
Newer 2008 F-250 w/40k in the garage, bought new.
Driving the 1999 F-150 130K bought new, now a daily driver.
DW 2001 PT Cruiser 40K bought new.

All paid for.....
Every time I see a promising Jeep or smaller truck......I just think....Don't want a note.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:04 AM
America First!!!!

Thanked 33,560 Times in 9,950 Posts

Thread moved and posts merged appropriately.
The Following User Says Thank You to cdvaight For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdvaight View Post
Thread moved and posts merged appropriately.
Thank you! So sorry for the newbie mistake!
Old 11-08-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
Find a 91-97 Jeep Cherokee XJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love Jeeps. My dad has had Cherokees all my life- the old body, not new (absolute abomination, IMHO). The only thing that worries me is the whole EMP thing. I don't know how paranoid I'm being, but I feel like that is one of the biggest threats to stability in this country. I think this is mainly why I would lean toward a Wagoneer in this case, as what I read is that even during the sale to Chrysler, they were never upgraded to fuel injection, or really computerized in any way. I might be wrong, but this is comforting to me.