The ultimate shtf vehicles - Page 21 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vehicles after SHTF? Eevee Vehicles & Transportation 27 10-11-2016 10:25 PM
Best Vehicles for EMP/CME or SHTF JJ1701 Vehicles & Transportation 11 06-21-2016 11:29 PM
AK-74, the ultimate SHTF rifle? Crunchtime Rifle Forum 151 09-11-2013 11:22 PM
Solar powered SHTF vehicles OldSchoolPC Vehicles & Transportation 8 07-06-2012 07:55 PM
Ultimate shtf/camping stove jimmykeller Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 27 06-28-2012 06:44 AM
The Ultimate SHTF House Thread irishmike357 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 11-28-2011 06:36 PM
This must be the ultimate SHTF house Normac Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 11-15-2011 11:43 AM
shtf alternative vehicles BumblingBear Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 07-12-2010 01:06 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Big_John's Avatar
Big_John Big_John is online now
That'll be the day...
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Somewhere in the West
Posts: 281
Thanks: 18
Thanked 603 Times in 189 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

I just ran through these pages and there are some very cool looking rigs out there, but too many of them in this thread have too much in terms of soft electronics that wouldn't stand up to an EMP.

Aren't the top selling vehicles for the past 50 years......a Jeep, Ford PU, Chevy PU?????

I think I would want a bone stock Jeep, Ford or Chevy that is old enough to have a carburetor and as few electronics as possible. Then 'harden' the vehicle as best as possible.

Those rigs that are heavily modified......good luck on finding replacement parts when things start breaking. A bone stock rig has hundreds of thousands, if not millions of other vehicles out there that parts can be taken off of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 10:32 PM
Metcalf's Avatar
Metcalf Metcalf is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southwest Comirado
Posts: 2,808
Thanks: 961
Thanked 4,422 Times in 1,711 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
I just ran through these pages and there are some very cool looking rigs out there, but too many of them in this thread have too much in terms of soft electronics that wouldn't stand up to an EMP.

Aren't the top selling vehicles for the past 50 years......a Jeep, Ford PU, Chevy PU?????

I think I would want a bone stock Jeep, Ford or Chevy that is old enough to have a carburetor and as few electronics as possible. Then 'harden' the vehicle as best as possible.

Those rigs that are heavily modified......good luck on finding replacement parts when things start breaking. A bone stock rig has hundreds of thousands, if not millions of other vehicles out there that parts can be taken off of.
What if a stock vehicle doesn't do what you want?

Most modified vehicles are just a collection of other vehicles parts. As long as you had a hand in building the vehicle you should know where the parts came from.

Older vehicles are getting harder and harder to find in decent condition. Hopefully, it won't be long till you can build 'new' old vehicles from reproduction parts. You can get really close with something very common like an old jeep. The hot rod market has been doing it for years. I think in the next few years we might just see it carry over to the 60s-70s pickups. The parts are actually available at the panel level, someone just needs to stick them all together and offer a reproduction frame....
Old 01-22-2017, 05:40 PM
DCMan DCMan is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Warshington
Posts: 1,145
Thanks: 587
Thanked 611 Times in 416 Posts
Default

How about a '73-'87 Chevy Blazer or K-10 short & wide?
Six cylinder engine and SM465. Either a Dana 20 or an NP205, 10-bolt up front, 12-bolt in back, both stuffed with 4.10 gears.
15x10 Jackman's shod with 33/12.50 MT's.
Nothing "cutting edge" here. Just good strong parts.
A bit old school, but small enough to maneuver in the woods and still carry a decent load.
Plus, I'll still be putterin' with that setup after the pulse shuts down the computer controlled vehicles.


DCman
The Following User Says Thank You to DCMan For This Useful Post:
 
Old 01-22-2017, 09:46 PM
Metcalf's Avatar
Metcalf Metcalf is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southwest Comirado
Posts: 2,808
Thanks: 961
Thanked 4,422 Times in 1,711 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMan View Post
How about a '73-'87 Chevy Blazer or K-10 short & wide?
Six cylinder engine and SM465. Either a Dana 20 or an NP205, 10-bolt up front, 12-bolt in back, both stuffed with 4.10 gears.
15x10 Jackman's shod with 33/12.50 MT's.
Nothing "cutting edge" here. Just good strong parts.
A bit old school, but small enough to maneuver in the woods and still carry a decent load.
Plus, I'll still be putterin' with that setup after the pulse shuts down the computer controlled vehicles.


DCman
If I had to be picky, swap the 12-bolt out for something that doesn't have c-clips. I've seen some take tremendous abuse, and others that broke clips if you looked at them wrong. Having the axles slide out is never fun.....
Old 01-23-2017, 08:08 PM
DCMan DCMan is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Warshington
Posts: 1,145
Thanks: 587
Thanked 611 Times in 416 Posts
Default

...well, I had full floaters in mind for the 12-bolt.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:49 PM
tedlovesjeeps71's Avatar
tedlovesjeeps71 tedlovesjeeps71 is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,918
Thanks: 1,595
Thanked 10,431 Times in 3,633 Posts
Default

I didn't know they made a FF 12 bolt?
My 89 suburban has a semi-float 14. More common are FF 14 bolts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2017, 09:50 PM
Metcalf's Avatar
Metcalf Metcalf is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southwest Comirado
Posts: 2,808
Thanks: 961
Thanked 4,422 Times in 1,711 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMan View Post
...well, I had full floaters in mind for the 12-bolt.
That would be cool, with a little work you could probably use most of the parts from the front axle...spindles, bearing hub, etc. I believe most 10-bolt or D44 internal spline style units will pass a 30 spline shaft with very little work.

With the width difference between the front and rear axles on most GM products you could have a bit of extra space to make some kind of adapter to the front spindle that could index in the stock bearing pocket.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:46 PM
DCMan DCMan is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Warshington
Posts: 1,145
Thanks: 587
Thanked 611 Times in 416 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
I didn't know they made a FF 12 bolt?
My 89 suburban has a semi-float 14. More common are FF 14 bolts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...hmmm, maybe those were 14 bolts.
Seem kinda small from what I remember, so I always figured 12 bolt.
Most assumed the same or just didn't care.

DCman
Old 01-25-2017, 03:32 PM
Gray Man's Avatar
Gray Man Gray Man is offline
Ambulatory
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cascadian Holler
Posts: 1,573
Thanks: 2,838
Thanked 2,720 Times in 916 Posts
Default

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtcd1kSdlQY
Old 01-25-2017, 06:46 PM
DCMan DCMan is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Warshington
Posts: 1,145
Thanks: 587
Thanked 611 Times in 416 Posts
Default

KLR650, eh?

I've always had a soft spot for the M53 paratroopers bike.

.....of course, I also believe the whole world should be powered by a 5 horse Briggs.



DCman
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net