Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best bug out vehicle or survival vehicle is ....the CJ or Wrangler series vehicles Sped Man Vehicles & Transportation 209 12-25-2016 07:12 PM
Snow plow or snow blower? After years of plowing I am going blower this time. Mountain General Discussion 20 12-23-2016 08:17 PM
Snow Shoes For Deep Snow Travel Video Vectorwoman DIY - Do It Yourself 4 12-23-2016 01:53 PM
Snow gear, snow clothes, snow wear Plugger Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 02-26-2015 12:13 PM
Is vehicle RANGE important to you in your BUG OUT vehicle? bozar Vehicles & Transportation 64 10-28-2013 11:02 PM
Man survives in snow-buried vehicle for 2 months EagleRiverDee Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 03-23-2012 03:31 PM
Inuit Snow Goggles and Fighting Snow Blindness ThoughtfulWolf Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 9 03-22-2012 03:38 AM

Old 01-01-2017, 02:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,405 Times in 3,627 Posts

Advertise Here

Every vehicle has its limits. Some do better in x, some not. But the biggest way to succeed is to know what those limits are and be smart enough to stay home when it's beyond what you can handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2017, 09:01 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl0an View Post

I drive an F150 2wd and drove UP a backroad called German Town road on my way to work one morning. Same thing, cars in the ditches everywhere. My old truck just kept on going right up to the top to the dismay of all those fancy bmw SUV owners standing outside their 4x4 all in the ditches..

Good times..
Yes, and I know for sure you could not of climbed my hill with your 2WD truck. Not everyone lives in the same conditions and I don't care if it is Alaska or New York. On a hill steeper then 30% with a dirt surface, I doubt you could even get your truck started from a dead-stop if on that hill in the summer after a hard rain.

This talk I keep hearing repeated about "going anywhere by knowing how to drive" is a lot of hot-air. Yes, sure an idiot can get anything stuck. A good driver can go a heck of a lot better with a good 4WD then a 2WD.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdemaris For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 07:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,030 Times in 565 Posts

When we lived up in Washington state, I recall a rather large snowfall in our area. Friends of the wife (at work) who had larger 4x4 SUV’s, couldn’t get their vehicles to move in the snow. The wife called me at home, and I picked them up in our lifted Suzuki Samurai, big off-road tires. We had no trouble. 25+ years later we still have the Samurai….

Old 01-01-2017, 08:18 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,935 Times in 871 Posts

Watching

Old 01-06-2017, 04:49 PM
Survival of the fittest

There is a lot of good input on this subject and some BS, but I hear most know how to deal with their situations with their idea of a vehicle. I had a Bronco, F250 Turbo Diesel and now a Jeep Rubicon as pictured.

Texas was rough with freezing roads that would freeze while your traveling uphill. I don't care how many wheels you have, your going to follow Newton's law of gravity.
But snow is different and different conditions exists depending on elevation, humidity, depth of snow, grade of road and on and on. The locals know the best equipment for the job and my hats off to them here. If I was having drinks in a bar and locals advised me to not go any further without chains, brother I would do it.

But how's this? What vehicle would you take to cross the USA in winter? Unknown roads and conditions. Mountains and valleys. Ice and slush. Wildlife and storms. What would you take? I will stick to my Rubicon with 35" MT AT and lift. Wench I hope to not need but so is the spare tire. Not failed me yet.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:10 PM
Hunter

I'm in an '07 Tahoe LTZ with BFG TA KO's today, it's starting to sleet now. I have the '04 TJL with 35" TA KM2's and a winch at the house. Trying to decide which to drive to work tonight, calling for 4-8" of snow here and I have a 30-40 minute ride on country roads. I'll be a Medic on a QRV, and have a partner for the shift(12 hours). Then home around 0700 tomorrow.
The Tahoe has my BOB, GHB, TacMed bag, SKS, tools and all in it. The Jeep is a soft top, but has the extra room for the bags, no good rifle storage though. I'll have my side arm in my BDU's, as will my partner(both active or retired police.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:59 PM

For general purpose, west michigan weather.....my 09 liberty has treated me fairly well.... I drive it everywhere i wanna go... Literally......
All things being the same; Tires are the differance... I had BF Goodrich AT KO's..... Very nice... The current Cooper Discovery's? Tho not a complete failure... Are alot softer, and have been in a few times to get the beads resealed.... A little more slippage... Probably wouldnt buy them again..... Tho they were cheaper in initial cost....

We get all kinds of ice and snow.... From inches to feet... Terrain varies, but we have only tall hills... No mountains....
Old 01-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Hunter

Ok, so the BFG's did great this AM. It was 28*, the wind was howling and we had ZERO snow at 0700 when I got off of the QRV. We ran a whopping ZERO calls in my almost 12 hours.
At about 0725, it began to snow on us. It snowed hard.....and was gone by 1230.
SC, where the weather is truly bi-polar.....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to htfiremedic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 06:12 PM
Survival of the fittest

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfiremedic View Post
Ok, so the BFG's did great this AM. It was 28*, the wind was howling and we had ZERO snow at 0700 when I got off of the QRV. We ran a whopping ZERO calls in my almost 12 hours.
At about 0725, it began to snow on us. It snowed hard.....and was gone by 1230.
SC, where the weather is truly bi-polar.....

We here in KY call SC's weather south polar...
The Following User Says Thank You to RUN 4 IT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 06:35 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 11,801 Times in 2,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldnfab4 View Post
...The current Cooper Discovery's? Tho not a complete failure... Are alot softer, and have been in a few times to get the beads resealed.... A little more slippage... Probably wouldnt buy them again..... Tho they were cheaper in initial cost...
Those are the tires I have on my Jeep Gran Cherokee right now. 265/70-R17. They are near the end of their life, but they absolutely suck in the deep snow. I got stuck in 10" of snow on a road just turning around. Had to walk home and get my damn tractor and recruit the son to pull me out.

I just ordered some General Grabber AT2 tires:

Hopefully they'll do better.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:28 AM

I d be interested in your results...
Old 01-08-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post

The F-150 I bought used this past August came with these tires on it. Been good in the snow and on the ice so far!

e6011
The Following User Says Thank You to e6011 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,414 Times in 6,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
Those are the tires I have on my Jeep Gran Cherokee right now. 265/70-R17. They are near the end of their life, but they absolutely suck in the deep snow. I got stuck in 10" of snow on a road just turning around. Had to walk home and get my damn tractor and recruit the son to pull me out.

I Mounted a set of those on a friend's f-100 before my tire machine burned up in the house fire. He is happy and I should be getting my new tire machine in the near future.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 02:36 AM
Wearing fur underwears...

I favour a tire with big voids and a lot of sidewall so the tire can flex at lower pressures.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:19 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by e6011 View Post
The F-150 I bought used this past August came with these tires on it. Been good in the snow and on the ice so far!

e6011
How is the tires wearing? Any road noise, likes and dislikes?
Old 01-10-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltime View Post
How is the tires wearing? Any road noise, likes and dislikes?
They seem to be wearing evenly. Not sure how many miles are on them since they came on the truck. Not too much road noise either, especially compared with the truck I was driving before. They give a nice ride and have handled well so far.

e6011
Old 02-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,422 Times in 1,711 Posts

Any interesting video out of Iceland from Arctic Trucks that compares a track converted vehicle to a large tire low air pressure vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcgK...ature=youtu.be
The Following User Says Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2017, 10:46 PM
Just some guy

Thanked 10,622 Times in 3,718 Posts

I lived in upstate NY for years. I was a truck guy for many years. Once gas got so expensive I started looking for alternatives. Where I lived 4wd was almost a must have if you wanted 100% capability to go where you want when you want. And I'm talking about just travel on roads, not off-road.

I tried several mid size suv types. I liked the gmc Jimmy but still wanted something cheaper to drive daily. I test drove a Subaru Outback and liked it's performance and its mileage.

That was 20 some years ago and I haven't owned anything else since. I've never been stopped by snow and it does ( for the most part ) everything else I need and want. It's not an off road vehicle but actually does better than most mid size SUV's on trails and light off road situations. My 2015 has 7.8 inches of clearance. It's AWD, but does have a feature that's similar to 4lo if you do get stuck. Mine came skid plated front to back.

Cargo space isn't what you would get from any pick up but I manage. I've put 180 lb deer in mine. Along with all my gear. They do make a 6 cyl that has some tow capacity but I opted for the motor I know and trust the 2.5l.

By far the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. My first scooby went to 380,000 before I retired it. My fiance totaled my first brand new one which made it to 80,000 without any issues at all.

They are pricey, but you get what you pay for IMO. I'll pay for durability and low maintenance.

I get on average 35 mpg with daily driving. I live in Texas now and have driven it to NY twice to see family. I managed 41 mpgs on those trips.

They make plenty of aftermarket parts and kits to make them more off road capable if that's your thing. They do well. Not going to compete with any standard truck that's had upgrades but will get you there if you know what your doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post: