Which is better a full size truck/suv or a smaller truck - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
truck gun christopher126 Canada 53 11-25-2016 03:10 PM
Glock 43 - Perfection in a new, smaller size zengunfighter Pistol and Revolver Forum 35 05-27-2015 11:26 PM
Pickup truck / RV / truck camper idea - need help Proyas Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 38 01-26-2015 05:05 PM
Full timing in an RV 1st step taken! TRUCK PIC ADDED usmc0341 General Discussion 18 08-30-2013 09:17 AM
Started painting my truck $450 truck germantrader10 Vehicles & Transportation 61 07-20-2012 08:03 AM
What MPG are you getting out of your truck/ suv? Domindart Vehicles & Transportation 77 08-31-2011 09:09 AM
Stolen Truck Full of Coffee Creamer - Illinois Newsfeed General Discussion 9 10-15-2008 04:25 PM

Old 04-09-2014, 07:14 PM

Advertise Here

I recommend a van because you can sleep in it. This may prove useful! I've had a VW Camper for many years, and it was the greatest vehicle I've ever had, except that it was awfully slow.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Forester

Thanked 9,005 Times in 4,463 Posts

Ford f 350 gets 24 mpg with diesel and can pull anything. Sleep in the back. I have had trucks of all types in a long career outdoors, personal and company vehicles and lots of rentals. The diesels are tough to beat. The only knock on them is that some roads are lined with brush and they get beat up a little more. There is less room to chose your line on rough roads than with the small pick-ups. The ride is much better in the longer wheel base vehicles. They aren't as top heavy either.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:58 PM

I have a Suburban for day to day stuff (plus a sedan for a commuter vehicle). With kids and campers it makes sense. Tried a mid sized suv for a bit but it had no better fuel economy than the Suburban. They're not as bad as the mass media and environmentalists make them out to be. It's really just a standard cab Chevy pickup in size...

Old 04-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,611 Posts

The answer may depend on what else you have got? But, generally, the biggest thing you can get! Here are the SOME of reasons: who knows what the problem would arise and what solutions would be available. You may need to armor it; you may need to carry something you can't even predict now; you may need to pick up additional supplies, like food; you may need to push another vehicle out of the way, so you would need sturdiness and mass.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:57 PM

I personally opt to go smaller than larger. My reasoning is that I need something large enough to pull my custom camping trailer (everything a family of 4 would need for a month plus extra fuel for a range of 1200 miles on flat ground - my place or my parents place is less than 400 miles) which has a footprint equal or less to the vehicle itself and common enough to easily repair. Currently use a Toyota Tacoma crew cab made in San Antonio, TX.

I noticed that a lot of people who have camping trailers tend to build them with x-amount of water on board - water is heavy and filtering systems weigh less than 5 gallons of water. Sure, have some readily available but I put my money into a filter system, tank and pump so I can collect water as I come across it. Works very well with an RV hot water heater so everyone gets a hot shower at the end of the day without the hit to my MPG.

My trailer is key to bugging out, I can replace the vehicle with nearly anything that has a hitch (it's only ~1800 lbs) but should there be a natural disaster that takes out the road I can pull off to one side and camp, put up my antenna and get an idea of whats going on around me and plan a path out on my physical maps.
The Following User Says Thank You to ashed For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,057 Posts

I remember reading an article online about a guy down in South America during a major country stock market crash. While he thought the B.O.V. was a joke, he did talk about ways to get home to his family when the SHTF, cause that is where most are headed first while at work. And for many people, the B.O.L. was their only home. If you were to leave the city, you either had to be the first ones out or you stayed until traffic allowed you to leave, if the city wasn't already under Martial Law with road-blocks and the likes.

Moving forward.

I cannot remember all the details but his forum mentioned that during a really bad traffic jam during the crisis, 4x4 SUV and Trucks were able to jump off the curbs and take alternate routes home much easier than those with small/economy vehicle types with low ground clearance. Motorcycles and Mopeds/Scooters had it even easier. So it seems like you met the first part with the SUV/Truck/Pickup so just choose what you feel like driving on a daily basis.

But if I had to choose something, maybe an armored truck might be in order...I hear the Pentagon is selling them by the parking lot loads because they have outlived their usefulness...
The Following User Says Thank You to JLW1974 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 02:27 AM

I would go spartan, small and reliable, i have a Suzuki Samurai as a Daily driver and also as BOV, and fit's enough for 2 people and one week of supplies only with a roof rack, im thinking of building a roof tent, and i could also sleep there, and for really bas gridlock days and really bad SHTF scenarios i have a 89 Vespa 2 Stroke all mechanical scooter, darn it doesn't even has a starter! It's not an enduro but you can get anywhere you might need and pass between the cars. I have it because I liked it and i bought really cheap, and has proven really useful in city.)
Old 05-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Forester

Thanked 9,005 Times in 4,463 Posts

After a 30 year career of driving all kinds of trucks in the bush-
7.3 liter Ford diesel F-350 with a long bed. It can pull anything and gets 24 mpg empty.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,308 Times in 626 Posts

I like bigger suvs. I wouldnt have anything smaller than an xterra. It can still tow 5000lbs but has enough room for 5 of us. SiE matters tho bigger is better when your trying to get outta dodge.

Bigger engine
Hauls more
Safer because of size
More mass if needed
More intimidating especially if its done up with bumpers and lift
Old 05-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,013 Times in 966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW1974 View Post

I hear the Pentagon is selling them by the parking lot loads because they have outlived their usefulness...
Where did you "hear" that? I am not seeing anything on the Internet about the Pentagon selling armored vehicles by the parking lot loads.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,404 Times in 787 Posts

For me and mine, (sons pushing the 6' mark and two 80lb dogs) smaller BOV's just don't cut it. Maybe for a short trip, but cram all of us in for anything more than say, 100 feet and things get testy real quick.

So, an 80's model suburban with a 6.2L diesel for us. Gas mileage is good, and if you don't want to hot dog it or accelerate up hills (a failing of mine I am working on) it will tow reasonable loads. Tuned right, even my 4" lift and 35" tires get 23MPG on that beast. Just don't expect to turn 10 second 1/4's. Or 11, or 12 or 13... you get it.

Soon, too soon for me, my boyos will be out on their own. So now I am putting together an old GMC pick up with a 6.2. Probably the same lift, but the tires will be a little smaller to compensate for my back. Maybe 33's with a set of 35's or 36's on the side if needed.

I drive my suburban all the time. I do not have it tricked out for off-road, but it does okay. Where we hunt my friends will pull their four wheelers on trailers half way, park, unload and use the ATV to get to the campsite. When they get there, they pull in right next to my suburban, with trailer and atv. It will push through a lot if you don't mind a few (or maybe more than a few) rub marks on the paint.

As an added bonus, you can work on those old GM trucks/SUVs without three computers, 6 million in specialized tools and a shoehorn. Hell you can climb right up in there with the engine.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:51 PM

I do the chevy tracker short wheelbase very narrow fit trails well .I have slightly oversized tires only mod , room for 3 and enuff gear to do down to -20 comfortabley and food for 7 days. But only 2 gallon of water per person per day .
Old 11-05-2014, 09:05 PM

I personally own a 2014 Quad Cab RAM
I would say a full size truck all the way my full size ram with a hemi gets much better fuel economy then my jk did. Carries way more kit. Goes twice as far between fill ups and rides and drives much better.

Between it and a small truck I can carry more gear tow much more people inside are more comfortable on long trips. There's a reason so many companies dropped there small trucks. They no longer fill a niche... My Ram averages 19 and I can get 24 on the highway with cruise set. On top of that I can still have much more towing capacity and room.

Full size vs SUV. Towing capacity is about the same fuel capacity is about the same. My truck can Carry Six passengers and still maintains a six foot bed for cargo. To have that much cargo room in a full size SUV one much ditch the rear seat.

Today I would say pick your fuel want be it Diesel or Gas and unless you need to carry more then six passengers go with a full size truck.

Not sure your brand preference but, love my RAM and it can be had in a half ton with a Hemi or a Diesel. I love mine personally.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:23 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 8,565 Times in 3,489 Posts

There is no "better" or "best" vehicle.

It depends on the use, and that will vary for each person.

Of course a larger vehicle can haul more, and some smaller vehicles are more maneuverable and often have better fuel efficiency.

Most of the pros and cons are fairly obvious in that regard and you just have to make your choice based on your situation.

I have both large and small trucks - a one ton diesel Dodge 4x4 and a Toyota Hilux (pre-Tacoma) 4x4.

The Dodge will haul over 4 times the weight and volume of the Toyota at only a slight fuel consumption penalty. It will also pull things that are heavy that will stop the Toyota in its tracks - I noticed this when I had to pull logs out of a stack of logs to cut them - the Dodge hardly knows they are back there, the Toyota was stopped, literally.

Conversely, the Toyota weighing one third what the Dodge does, gets around off-road much easier, the Dodge being much more willing to sink into the mud and hard to climb over obstacles as it has a lot more weight to lug around.

So as I said, it depends on your situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,581 Times in 498 Posts

If you can get only one buy a Jeep.

You never know where the trail leads.

If you can find one a CJ 6 will give you a longer wheelbase and more room.

A FSJ Cherokee or Wagoner will also be a good choice look for a 6 cylinder as you will get a bit better mileage.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,899 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broylz View Post
i have to have a full size to pull the horse trailer. if that goes south, i have back up transportation as well.
You could downsize to a minihorse and use a smaller truck or suv.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nucky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpDog View Post
I've had a few small pickups (2 Nissan, 1 Toyota) and a full-sized Ram. Of those I think the small pickups were every bit as capable off-road as the Ram and got almost 2x the gas mileage. I used to follow bulldozers in TX as a geologist. We even pulled stumps one time with one of the Nissan's.
I would also say look at the smaller Nissan and Toyota trucks. I've beaten the **** out of mine since I got it in 09. Used it to pull several stumps,done some light off roading, and anything else you would do with a pick up, and it just keeps going. My mom's ex-husband has been driving a Datsun(they are owned my Nissan) since the mid 80s and that keeps going and he's beat his worse then I can even dream of, he just put a new motor in it a few years back, and that one keeps going to.
The Following User Says Thank You to dac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 09:43 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 8,565 Times in 3,489 Posts

You guys must have much smaller stumps than we do.

Pulling stumps with a tractor, much less a truck, is a favorite way stupid farmers break their tractors in half around here - I have seen more than one broken at either the three point hitch or at the union of the transmission to the engine.

We don't even use small bulldozers for pulling stumps - we push them if they are rotten or small, but it takes at least a D8 to push a stump, and generally we dig them out with an excavator instead of pulling or pushing them.

Pulling them out with a pickup? Not even going to try that on a stump from a 50 year old fir tree that is 2 to 3 foot across unless it has been dug up before hand.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2014, 02:38 AM

I like the nissan xterra 4x4's. I don't need a lift kit for a good clearance and they do well off road. It is enough room for my family at least to get somewhere safe. It isn't the most economical on gas and its not diesel those are the biggest downfalls of it. Would it survive EMP...who knows? I'm sure the newer ones are full of all kinds of electronic crap these days. Heck, even the older ones have electronic stuff.

Years ago I had a Geo Tracker 4x4 and I tell you the places I took that thing amazed me. The car itself was a cheap easily dented mess but it handled very rough 4 wheeling. Fits nicely between trees too if you need to cut your own trails.

Any vehicle you have, you may need to abandon at some point... even when you run out of fuel if it doesn't take alternative types. So a plan b on foot is good to have. Also a bike rack with bikes on it is good to have also. Much faster less exhaustive travel.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:55 AM

I personally like the older ford broncos....80-95's...I plan to get one just incase I need it I don't need a big truck and my current plans if anything happened would be to go off-road so the bronco would suit me just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigWolf For This Useful Post: