Big knives in home defense - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice for first gun purchase abbysmom21299 Firearms General Discussion 72 01-02-2017 02:01 AM
Sam Wilson knives Mattsn Knives, Swords & Axes 12 12-10-2016 05:39 PM
Article - How To Pick a Skinning Knife kev Knives, Swords & Axes 41 12-03-2016 12:06 AM
Henry Big Boy .44 Magnum rifle H006 (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 10-06-2016 11:24 AM

Old 02-17-2017, 11:20 AM

Default Big knives in home defense

Advertise Here

So I was playing with the idea of what kind of use would the big size knives serve in home defense. when I say big I mean full size Bowie knives AK toothpick or bolo knives.
The first one I see is under the bed springs in case as a last ditch weapon if you are taking by surprise. a old guy I grew up around that was said to be a dangerous man with a blade learned me that one and claimed to know people that were saved that way.
If you have to answer the door at night and didn't know who it is. My teacher from hand to hand class always said a big knife is easy to hide and in close quarters a knife will actually do more damage then a gun and harder to take away from you.
And the last one my dad showed me. he was ex army and keep a old gun belt hanging over his bed post that had his pistol reloads flashlight and the Bowie knife he carried in the war. he always said if something want wrong with his pistol or someone tried to take it from him he tursted the knife to take care of the problem.

So what would you guys that know knife fighting see anything wrong with what I have learned or would you do anything different
Old 02-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,064 Times in 3,998 Posts

The biggest problem with knives is that you have to get close to your attacker and unless you're well versed in hand to hand it is a liability.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 8,046 Times in 3,138 Posts

Being Scottish, i do have my Dirk on my office wall... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk#Highland_dirk

this is a cold steel model, well made, great balance, sharp as a razor and yes, i train in Highland knife fighting skills too...
Attached Thumbnails
2017-02-17 11.45.02.jpg   2017-02-17 11.44.32.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:

Old 02-17-2017, 12:00 PM

That cool man I got Scottish blood in me on dad's and mom's side both the Highlands have always interested me which being from the mountains in KY a lot of the old clan ideas are still around being willing to fight for family and home is still in the people but I don't know there was a highland fighting style do you know any books or anything on it
Old 02-17-2017, 12:05 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 8,046 Times in 3,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy88 View Post
That cool man I got Scottish blood in me on dad's and mom's side both the Highlands have always interested me which being from the mountains in KY a lot of the old clan ideas are still around being willing to fight for family and home is still in the people but I don't know there was a highland fighting style do you know any books or anything on it
This is a good historical source: https://www.paladin-press.com/produc...rms_and_Combat

remember, most combatives/Col. Applegate https://www.paladin-press.com/produc..._Rex_Applegate

and various other forms of knife fighting/training can be applied to the Dirk too...
Old 02-17-2017, 12:22 PM
Hiker

Without having to engage in actually physically using the knife
this knife has a psychological advantage built in
you going to mess with someone ,,,crazy enough to buy this???

https://www.knife-depot.com/blog/wei...e-shark-knife/

lpl
Old 02-17-2017, 01:14 PM

That is crazy I don't know if I would run or be like what the f is that
Old 02-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 28,462 Times in 9,411 Posts

how bout this one????
Attached Thumbnails
whatthahell.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 02:13 PM

How would you ever use it
Old 02-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,347 Times in 1,629 Posts

I have slept with a KA-BAR slid between my mattress and box spring for over 35 years. Slightly above waist height and sheath unsnapped. Accessible by either hand. Depending on how you are sleeping.

If I'm in the field, it lays right next to me.

Never needed to use it. But when things go bump in the night. As they sometimes do. It is a comforting grab.

It is also an orientation point for other items, such as a flashlight which is positioned directly below it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LostViking For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 02:36 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,128 Times in 593 Posts
Smile

Since most civilian & police shootings occur within 3 meters, well inside the range of a running man with a knife, perhaps you should invest in a pistol bayonet!!!

Let us know how that works for you.

Quote:
So I was playing with the idea of what kind of use would the big size knives serve in home defense. when I say big I mean full size Bowie knives AK toothpick or bolo knives.
The first one I see is under the bed springs in case as a last ditch weapon if you are taking by surprise. a old guy I grew up around that was said to be a dangerous man with a blade learned me that one and claimed to know people that were saved that way.
If you have to answer the door at night and didn't know who it is. My teacher from hand to hand class always said a big knife is easy to hide and in close quarters a knife will actually do more damage then a gun and harder to take away from you.
And the last one my dad showed me. he was ex army and keep a old gun belt hanging over his bed post that had his pistol reloads flashlight and the Bowie knife he carried in the war. he always said if something want wrong with his pistol or someone tried to take it from him he tursted the knife to take care of the problem.

So what would you guys that know knife fighting see anything wrong with what I have learned or would you do anything different
Old 02-17-2017, 07:38 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 28,462 Times in 9,411 Posts

Ive had a blade on me, or within reach since around 1968, and have used one a time or 2..using a Knife is a lot different than using a gun. its a very up close and personal thing. the baggage that goes with it is a lot more personal than pulling a trigger. Be sure your up to it head wise, before you chose a blade as your main means of defense. I don't have the words to describe what i am trying to say correctly I think.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Emperor of Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
Ive had a blade on me, or within reach since around 1968, and have used one a time or 2..using a Knife is a lot different than using a gun. its a very up close and personal thing. the baggage that goes with it is a lot more personal than pulling a trigger. Be sure your up to it head wise, before you chose a blade as your main means of defense. I don't have the words to describe what i am trying to say correctly I think.
I think you said it well, man. I have personally never had to use a knife to defend myself and hope I never have to, but I know enough to listen to those with experience that it isn't something to take lightly. I'm not talking about anybody in particular when I say this or anybody on this thread either, but you see and hear alot of people talk alot of **** when you like knives, collect them, talk about them....with all the "tactical ninja " stuff....sometimes it seems like these people actually WANT an excuse to stab somebody, or at the very least they vastly underestimate how terrible a position it would be to be put in. I dunno if I really had a point with all that, I'm the one without the right words..
Old 02-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,063 Times in 446 Posts

I have one of these

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.v...90&o=4&pid=1.7
Old 02-17-2017, 08:17 PM

The smell wouldn't be as bad at 870 range .....

If someone breaks in on me in da knight a shooting will happen not a cuttn.

I know they work great but why let some dirty SOB that is jacked up on who knows what get that close. It could happen and I do have a big knife or two stashed also....
The Following User Says Thank You to rwtrapper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 08:31 PM

Don't get me wrong I would take running over a gun fight let alone a knife fight any day of the week and twice on Sunday. but I also know some times fighting is the only way to come back home and you have to be ready for anything. I have known a few guys that I really respect that have been there and had to do it and you can tell it messed with them.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 PM

I have a tomahawk similar to Sanderhawks on the back of my night stand. Cheap and deadly. I live in Canada and so my guns have to be trigger locked, or safe stored for hand guns. So a melee weapon is a good go to if you are surprised.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgary For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 09:57 PM

No doubt the double sided one even more I know the guy that teached my combat class was a guy I would not want to take on with one
Old 02-17-2017, 10:00 PM
Emperor of Ice Cream

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I would take running over a gun fight let alone a knife fight any day of the week and twice on Sunday. but I also know some times fighting is the only way to come back home and you have to be ready for anything. I have known a few guys that I really respect that have been there and had to do it and you can tell it messed with them.
Yup, and I didn't mean to imply that I think having a blade for self defense is a bad idea...I don't, hell ive always got one on me. You never know when you might need it, and training with one is a good idea too.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 75,326 Times in 29,911 Posts

Not a knife -- but near the front door --

Closer to the back door --

Closer to me --

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post: