Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start Anew 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 787 Yesterday 09:22 PM
Gather around the campfire OR Never step on the Butterflies MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 123 03-25-2017 10:14 AM
Dark Grid - Second Edition (professionally edited) DarkLight Books, Movies & Stories 52 02-20-2017 11:57 AM
Standing watch - short story wtr100 Books, Movies & Stories 12 10-30-2016 11:56 AM
A start of something new. MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 55 10-20-2016 08:43 PM

Old 02-17-2017, 10:44 AM

Talking Want to build a watch tower in back yard.

Advertise Here

Hello all, hope your having a great day. So my parents are constructing a new house for which they plan on living out the rest of their life in. The problem is that its literally in the middle of town. The area is a mixture of good and bad. Their are some nice people and houses as well as slums and bums. Right after purchasing the property we had our shed broken into and lost all of our tools. Also their is constantly people walking down the sidewalk all time of the day and night. So I have decided to construct a watch tower in our back yard so that I can get up high and see the whole neighborhood. I think I will build it like the old box stand I used to hunt out of. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Should I reinforce it with metal, because I got some. I do not think ill get a spotlight but maybe some night vision binos. We are serious about protecting ourselves, especially in times like these.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 8,125 Times in 3,168 Posts

Neighbors will love it and now you've become a fixed position to be on the receiving end of pot shots....

i would think other options are available first.....
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:54 AM

Agree with PSYOP.

You're better off securing your property through traditional methods such as tall fences, chains with locks.

If those fail, there's always landmines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-Dub For This Useful Post:

Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 AM
ISIS causes Global Warmin

Thanked 5,915 Times in 1,995 Posts

I use this. Mostly as an antenna tower and camera mount, but it is nice to hang out up there and gaze down at the river.
Easy up easy down.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2933_200642933
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,356 Times in 570 Posts

It'll be like a big red flag waving "HERE WE ARE"!

I'd be creeped out be a weird neighbor keeping me under surveilance from up in a tower. Not the kind of thing that will engender warm neighborly feelings.

A much better option is a few strategically placed video cameras that can be placed in unintrusive locations and monitored from inside the safety of your home. Better to keep an eye on them when they don't know their being watched. Plus, if you do observe criminal activity, you have video/pictural documentation of what is going on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MichaelK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:09 AM

Im sorry I should have mentioned that we plan on constructing a good strong fence around our property, as well as help the neighbors on either side of us and behind us construct one as well. I know that even with a fence, watch tower, security cameras, drones and other goodies this place will never withstand an assault. but maybe if we keep fortifying our home and helping our neighbors do the same we will at least be able to keep out moderate level threats like thieves and crackheads.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sprinkles For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:25 AM
Old Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
Hello all, hope your having a great day. So my parents are constructing a new house for which they plan on living out the rest of their life in. The problem is that its literally in the middle of town. The area is a mixture of good and bad. Their are some nice people and houses as well as slums and bums. Right after purchasing the property we had our shed broken into and lost all of our tools. Also their is constantly people walking down the sidewalk all time of the day and night. So I have decided to construct a watch tower in our back yard so that I can get up high and see the whole neighborhood. I think I will build it like the old box stand I used to hunt out of. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Should I reinforce it with metal, because I got some. I do not think ill get a spotlight but maybe some night vision binos. We are serious about protecting ourselves, especially in times like these.
You still live with your parents?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Big Sarge For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Amat victoria curam

Thanked 1,181 Times in 509 Posts

In Beirut? Seriously like others have said it's overkill and will more than likely draw wrong kind of attention.

That said if you're set on it like most things in life it's best if it can hide in plain sight if you're going to construct it regardless I would suggest making it look like a kid's tree house if at all possible
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [_]ni/\/\og For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,027 Times in 4,484 Posts

I got to ask how old are you?
Normally it wouldn't be an issue but security fencing, gun ....I'm sorry a watch tower, cameras, drones, did you forget seismic sensors? And what makes you believe the neighbors want your help?

Your neighbors will have code enforcement up your backside.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
I got to ask how old are you?
Normally it wouldn't be an issue but security fencing, gun ....I'm sorry a watch tower, cameras, drones, did you forget seismic sensors? And what makes you believe the neighbors want your help?

Your neighbors will have code enforcement up your backside.
Yep. Defiantly forgot the seismic sensors
You Jest... but Sprinkles just learned something.
Just not what you intended them to learn.
The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,027 Times in 4,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Tyler View Post
Yep. Defiantly forgot the seismic sensors
You Jest... but Sprinkles just learned something.
Just not what you intended them to learn.
I know ...sigh...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,393 Times in 4,175 Posts

There is not a tree in your backyard, is there? Because neighbors will probably overlook a tree house, and we got a FINE view from ours!

The thing is, neighbors might not care for you being able to look down into your yards, and they might report you for building a watchtower. Now, every city has building codes and I have never seen watchtowers being allowed. Sheds, yes: no problem! Perhaps you could construct a shed and reinforce the roof of the shed to take your weight???? Then you would only need to put up a ladder and climb up!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Target Shooter

I tend to agree with most the other replies. A watchtower in the back yard would just be inviting trouble. Many other better security options out there. With that being said if I were in the middle of town and I just had to have a watchtower, I would build it to look like some sort of kids back yard fort. At least that way it may not be such an obvious watchtower and may not attract as much attention.
Personally I would spend that money hardening the home and on security system/cameras. Just my .02
The Following User Says Thank You to chuck c For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 01:34 PM
Prepared

I was going to suggest one of those hunting stands. Not sure how they hold up over time, might rust out and you would fall. A better idea would be some Rohn 25 tower sections and a camera on top. Check the city code, mine is OK to 35 feet AGL without a permit. Make sure you ground it, install a good camera with an azimuth and elevation mount. Mount three fixed cameras each with a wide lens on each face and the moveable camera and zoom lens on top. You will need IR flood lamps or LED's for night vision.
The Following User Says Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 01:39 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Tyler View Post
I use this. Mostly as an antenna tower and camera mount, but it is nice to hang out up there and gaze down at the river.
Easy up easy down.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2933_200642933
How high does your go? The piping that is, I was considering for antenna mounts as well.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:50 PM

top of the pipe for the scaffolding is 29ft, platform is 25ft. I have some chain link top rail on the ends of the scaffolding pipe for the antenna, cams, and gadgets.

Top of antenna is 70ish ft. Just enough to clear the top of the oaks it is nestled in. I use the 6ft walkthrough sections on the bottom... makes it easier to mow around.

And yes it is a nightmare to think about lighting
The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 02:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,831 Times in 2,439 Posts

$500 invested into discrete cameras on trees or tall poles in all directions. Far safer, better and less obtrusive and expensive. Cameras record too.

Maybe get a nice drone to send up in the air with a camera?

I would NOT want to sit up in a "watch tower" like some private on guard duty. If things went south, you're a sitting duck.

And it would be ugly...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 02:43 PM
accipere rubrum pilula

Thanked 2,549 Times in 804 Posts

Keep it low key and simple. As others have said, nix the tower, it screams hey I have stuff you want over here. The tower could possibly **** off your neighbors, because they might imagine you eyeballing through their bedroom windiws.

I lived in Detrot and really if you want to secure your garage, you need to beef up the entry doors frame. You can install all the deadbolts you want, but those cheap pine frames are easy to kick in.

In order to secure my window I screwed iron bars over the window on the inside. I could still open/close the window, but climbing through the window was pretty much eliminated.

The main roller door had to be opened from the inside. I used a c-clamp to block the track, you had to remove the c-clamp to open the main door.

The entry doors frame was beefed up by doubling the wood frame and using 4" screws to secure the hinges & latches. A small piece of angle iron was bolted to the lock face to prevent lock jimmying.

It was a lot of effort to turn the garage into a mini bunker, but my garage was one of the few that didn't get broken into.
The Following User Says Thank You to papabob56 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Auld Lang Syne

Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,213 Posts

If you want to be the neighborhood voyeur in stall a PTZ camera on a TV antenna.
You can survey any time from inside, a basic one will let you read a licence plate from 1/2 mile.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
$500 invested into discrete cameras on trees or tall poles in all directions. Far safer, better and less obtrusive and expensive. Cameras record too.

Maybe get a nice drone to send up in the air with a camera?

I would NOT want to sit up in a "watch tower" like some private on guard duty. If things went south, you're a sitting duck.

And it would be ugly...
Discrete?? Put the darn camera's were everyone can see them.. paint them safety orange so they can't miss seeing them.

People around your house won't even pick their nose for fear of showing up on Youtube.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Murby For This Useful Post: