Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-12-2017, 09:50 PM
Through Knowledge, Peace

Thanked 6,732 Times in 2,454 Posts
Question I have a few questions ..oh and some input

Advertise Here

Hey there fwwends

1) why can't I filter posts? I have been a member of other forums throughout my lifetime that use this same "V bulletin" forum template and I have always been able to go to any thread of my choice and filter posts from either myself, or from whichever user I choose. Was just wondering why I cannot do that here? It's got to be a simple check box that the administrator of the website can check to allow it. It is a VERY helpful tool.

2) why can't I read posts that I thanked? I believe I read somewhere about excessive bandwidth being used when this feature is turned on, but I can't see it being too much bandwidth. I have seen many horrible threads here that use far more bandwidth then this feature could possible use. It would be great to go back to threads that I found helpful, and thanked. Or even vice versa, I would like to see all of the posts that I was thanked for. Its good to know when something you said has had an affect on people. Don't you think?

3) why can't I rate threads? I was once able to rate them, but at one point during the witch hunt of the "one start bandit" I suddenly started being alerted by a message along the lines of "your ip address" something yaddie yaddie yaddah.... so has my IP address been banned from being able to rate threads? I have tried addressing it to a moderator but it still have not been resolved? I see threads getting one star ratings all the time and I don't think they deserve one star so I would like to add my rating in order to sway the rating.

I love this place, (am likely psychologically addicted to it) and would like to see these things implemented... this website is a gigantic knowledge bank, and with additional features to keep members happy, it can only become bigger and better!

Thank you for hearing me out, and to all reading this have a great 2017
Old 02-13-2017, 12:42 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 144,399 Times in 42,558 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

For your first question, you can use the search feature for that. At the top of each thread is a "search this thread" option. Choose advanced search and search for posts by member name.

For your second question, it wasn't about bandwidth, but server load. This site is huge. And the load generated by people searching for thanked threads was just too much. I miss it too. I used it a lot. But it's not coming back.

As for the star question, there's another thread in this section. Others are having the problem too. Maybe follow it, and see if someone finds a solution. For now, we don't have one.

Just remember, 5 starring threads just because you don't like the rating is EXACTLY the same problem as someone one starring them in the first place. And it makes it where we can't catch the one staring bandit. We've caught two already. And almost caught a third, but some "knight in shining armor" decided he'd come along righting wrongs.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 11:45 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 12,074 Times in 3,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
...We've caught two already. And almost caught a third, but some "knight in shining armor" decided he'd come along righting wrongs.
You mean there are more than ONE of those idiots? What on earth is wrong with people???

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:

Old 02-15-2017, 11:52 PM
Hiker

Default Why is "One Starring" a bad thing?

Quote:
As for the star question, there's another thread in this section. Others are having the problem too. Maybe follow it, and see if someone finds a solution. For now, we don't have one.

Just remember, 5 starring threads just because you don't like the rating is EXACTLY the same problem as someone one starring them in the first place. And it makes it where we can't catch the one staring bandit. We've caught two already. And almost caught a third, but some "knight in shining armor" decided he'd come along righting wrongs.
If I think a post is poorly written, has sloppy logic, and should be given only one star, why is that a bad thing?
Old 02-16-2017, 01:17 AM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Warren View Post
If I think a post is poorly written, has sloppy logic, and should be given only one star, why is that a bad thing?
There is nothing wrong with that. That's using the system exactly how it's intended to be used. If everyone would do that, we wouldn't have any problems. But alas, people.....
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:19 AM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
You mean there are more than ONE of those idiots? What on earth is wrong with people???

Oh yeah. One has been hitting the ladies section for a while now. I have it narrowed down to 1 of 2 people. It shouldn't be long until one of them is on the outside looking in for a long time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 06:13 AM
IRREDEEMABLE DEPLORABLE

Thanked 5,682 Times in 1,947 Posts

Quote:
For your first question, you can use the search feature for that. At the top of each thread is a "search this thread" option. Choose advanced search and search for posts by member name.

For your second question, it wasn't about bandwidth, but server load. This site is huge. And the load generated by people searching for thanked threads was just too much. I miss it too. I used it a lot. But it's not coming back.

Might want to sticky the bolded or make a post about it. I have 5 stared what I thought should be 5 stared to counter the 1 star, but I put in the thread that I did so. I think I have done it 3 times IIRC.

I don't look for or use the star system myself.

Thanks for mentioning this, I have not stared in a while I will be sure to go back to never staring.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heartlander For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 06:36 AM
Samholdanach

Thanked 23,559 Times in 8,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartlander View Post
Might want to sticky the bolded or make a post about it. I have 5 stared what I thought should be 5 stared to counter the 1 star, but I put in the thread that I did so. I think I have done it 3 times IIRC.

Thanks for mentioning this, I have not stared in a while I will be sure to go back to never staring.
Yeah, I have been guilty of that myself. Not because I thought it deserved a 5 star (I ignore the stars mostly and use the Thanks or a written response) but in a wish to level the table. Did not realize it might make it difficult to catch the one star bandits.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 01:15 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartlander View Post

Nobody reads the stickies anyway. Classic proof of that is right here in this forum. Take a look at the very first sticky, right below the new thread button. Yet look at how many "why can't I access this thread" posts we always have.

Rating threads is great. If you want to rate them, then rate them! Be intellectually honest. Imagine that the thread had no stars. Would you still want to rate it? If so, the by all means do! And if it had no stars, what rating would you give it? Then that's the rating to give it.

Trying to undo the bandit only makes it so we can't tell which threads he has hit or when.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 06:34 PM
Through Knowledge, Peace

Thanked 6,732 Times in 2,454 Posts

I know I had 5 starred some threads that were marked 1 star... and I did it for the same reasons that others in this thread they did it..

I feel like my IP address being blocked (from rating) is part of a bigger project
Old 02-17-2017, 07:47 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
I know I had 5 starred some threads that were marked 1 star... and I did it for the same reasons that others in this thread they did it..

I feel like my IP address being blocked (from rating) is part of a bigger project
Your IP is not being blocked. From what I can tell, the ratings thing is a small script that runs the same for everyone. There are no settings that can be changed, so nobody can be blocked or unblocked from using it. For example, someone with a 3 day "limited access" ban can post, but not start threads, not send PMs and not give or get thanks. But they can still use the ratings system.

If you're accessing the site from a phone, it's a known problem. Several others have reported it too, in this section. We don't know of a solution yet.

If you're accessing the site from a computer, I don't know what to suggest other than if you are running a script blocker, start experimenting. I know that I have to allow survivalistboards (of course) and googleapis, which I despise. I think it's what reports every thread I click to youtube. I also have to allow viglink. If I don't allow those, some features don't work and the pages don't format right. Also, cloudflare, though that doesn't come up as often as it used to.

There was a change in the database a couple months ago and it has bugged a lot of things. Some people are losing their VIP tags, though the VIP features seem to still work. Posts aren't indexed immediately like they used to be, and if they're deleted before being indexed, they never show up in the post list at all, etc. On the positive side, it gave us back our IP tracing functionality that was desperately needed.