Car parts to stock in car? what broke that caused you be stranded once? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What spare parts to stock for ar15? mygunisjammed Rifle Forum 16 10-31-2016 06:15 AM
BROWNELLS AR-15 Receiver Set w/ Lower Parts Kit & Stock - $451.24 shipped slickguns.com For Sale 0 10-08-2016 01:58 PM

Old 12-23-2016, 11:40 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,302 Times in 469 Posts

Advertise Here

On late 80's and early 90's jeeps, best keep a spare ignition coil handy. I use to keep the special screwdriver to change them in my center console, and could be back on the road again in minutes. But when they're bad, good luck starting the engine on a cold or damp day. (But you can dry one out over heat and get yourself moving again if you have to.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2016, 12:12 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 38,405 Times in 12,608 Posts

Maintain your vehicle properly. Replace belts, hoses, and battery whether they need it or not when they are at the end of a typical service life. Flush and refill the cooling system every few years. Check your tire pressure and oil level periodically.

I carry a good tire plug kit. good tool set, spark gap tester, and code reader. A LION jump pack, a RYOBI tire inflator, and a 12V cig plug type tire inflator.
Learn where your spare tire is and practice lowering it if it is hung under the vehicle.
Check the tire pressure in the spare when you drop it. Trying to figure this out in the dark on the side of the road is not the way to go. I don't carry fix a flat in a can. If I want to ruin my tire I will simply stab it with a knife.

Spare fuses and a multimeter are a good idea.

A spare qt of oil and trans fluid are good to carry. Some cars like my honda require a special setup to remove the transmission fluid fill plug. basically a a big breaker bar and about an 18 inch socket extension. Even then, you have to really pull to loosen that plug. Sounds like a gun going off when it breaks free. the typical socket set one carries will not do the job.

For the love of all that is holy, if your fan belt is squeeling, or something is howling under the hood, check it out, don't just keep driving.

AAA membership with extended tow mileage and trailer coverage if you tow a trailer.

Carry a good 4 way tire wrench and I usually have a second better jack in the vehicle along with a couple tire blocks, warning triangles, a bright area lantern, couple flshlights, a high vis safety vest.

Jumper cables of course, battery wrench and a little wire brush. Parts retrieval grabber. I carry mine next to the driver's seat. Something is always falling between the seats. In the driver's console always carry a flashlight, and a winshield snapper punch in case you end up in the water in a flood. Flip flops for your feet as well if you have to get out in high water. Prybar is useful if you have an accident and need to bend the fender away from the wheel if it is drivable.

Duct tape, JB weld, Aircraft wire, hose clamps, mirror superglue, a mover's blanket, hack saw, some ignition wire, long tow strap with hooks, a coat and gloves, spare overalls and sweatshirt.

Things that have stopped me on the road:

Tire blowout (looked like the tire was shot in the side by a rifle) and simple tire punctures.

Transmission fluid low and torque convertor wouldn't spin the wheels.

Battery cable loose (on a brand new Honda). I guess the cable is removed for shipment, and needs to be attached and tightened by the dealer. they screwed up the dealer prep on mine.

Corroded battery terminal.

Dead battery on another 1 yr old Honda. go figure. At least it did it when I was trying to leave an autoparts store of all places (just buying some fuel injector cleaner). 2 minutes later had a new battery and was back on the road.

water pump seized on an old Ford E-150 conversion van and wrecked an engine. (I tried to drive out of a 1 lane jersey barrier construction zone. barely cleared it when the engine seized.).

Stuck in slippery mud in a low spot.
Stuck in beach sand. A helpful Canadian fellow pulled me out with a tow rope.
Stuck in a flyash pond (It looked like a beautiful asphalt parking lot. (it wasn't a parking lot. It was a 2 ft deep goo pit)
Stuck in a flash flood and destroyed the car engine. Apparently water is incompressible.
Completely destroyed a tire and wheel in a client's parking lot. They had a bizarre hole in their parking lot resembling a Burmese tiger trap.

Had my van simply stall and go dead in the 80's on a road going past a K Mart auto center. I yelled out the window to the mechanic, he said "wait right there, I know what it is".
1 minute later he trots out and attaches a wire from the engine to the frame. Started right up. Fixed. he wouldn't take my money. He was so happy he could fix it so easily. That's what America used to be. Not anymore.

I am still that way. Several times someone had a car that was stuck because they had a corroded battery terminal or a couple times someone had a vehicle stuck in park.. I volunteer to look at it, fix it quickly. And every time I reflexively thanked them. Walking away I always wondered why I thanked them. I guess because it makes you feel good.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2016, 12:22 AM

My '87 4runner's alternator crapped out in St George, Utah with a snow storm coming. I was driving from CA back to Salt Lake, and had stopped at my Grandma's house in Hesperia to pick up some boxes of stuff I had left there the year before. Amazingly, one of those things was a good used 22re alternator from another old Toyota I had had. Swapped it in a gas station parking area. Toyota manual (which I had) said you had to drain the coolant. Well, if you're strong and you push on the lower radiator hose real hard, you can squeeze the alt past. I had very little money so I would have been stuck there with my 15yo brother. Pretty much as close to a miracle as I've ever experienced.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimcosenza For This Useful Post:

Old 12-24-2016, 12:28 AM

Another time I was driving from Iowa to California in my '71 LeMans. I was carrying a spare for nearly every swappable part on that car. Spun a rod bearing in the 455 in Nebraska(nearly to Wyoming, again with a big snowstorm coming). The $1100 in my bank account and my laptop saved me. Rented a U haul and trailer. The next day I drove up into the mountains through an ice storm, in the dark. When I made it to my sister's in Bountiful, UT I felt like I'd had a couple heart attacks and couldn't stop shaking. That U-Haul was all over the place.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:30 AM

Cool What to put in your car

This is what you should have in your car at all times: jumper cables, pliers, flashlights, and extra wiring. That's all I can thank of. Someone help me out.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:38 AM

When making long hauls in my bob truck to go pick up stuff, i like to keep a bicycle in the back because i know i may break down on back roads and may need to try to get to town.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,442 Times in 1,720 Posts

It was all going great till....

...the transfer case input gear came off the transmission output shaft.

That sucked.

That is a hard one to diagnose in the dark during a rain storm on a muddy road. Lesson learned.

When I converted this old Willys to a 'granny' gear 4-spd transmission the output shaft changed slightly. The original 3spd had a castle nut and cotter key retaining system. The new transmission used a more modern Nylon lock-nut. Nylon lock nuts are only good to about 220F. I am pretty sure the transfer case runs hotter than that on the highway buzzing along at 3100rpm for hours. After about 5 years and a LOT of wheeling, and highway miles on the old girl, the nut backed completely off and the gear walked off the shaft. By some miracle it fell down in the top of the transfer case and didn't hurt a thing. The nut however got a little chewed up.

My solution. I made sure I have the proper socket for this large nut in the tool bag. I also threw two spare nuts in the parts bag. During reassembly I cleaned everything and added a little red loctite onto the threads. I will probably try and check it about once a year through the PTO port....
Old 02-07-2017, 02:05 PM

any of ya'll pay for those aaa roadside assistants deals? think they really pay off in long run?
Old 02-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Trapper

Thanked 4,051 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygunisjammed View Post
any of ya'll pay for those aaa roadside assistants deals? think they really pay off in long run?
I just got my renewal in the mail. I plan to renew. Thankfully I've havent had to use it. Its like any insurance, it better to have it and NOT need it.

I've had AAA for 2 years. If you drive older vehicles, it will eventullay pay off. I have the premiere plan, which gives me one 200 mile tow, and IIRC three 100 mile tows annually. Most wreckers charge a hook fee then milage, so If your car is getting grumpy, that alone will save you at least a grand over a year.

If you're in the middle of a road trip, and your car craps the bed, they will also bring a rental to you, with the first day being free.

There are a lot if benifits people forget about like...

Lock out sevices

Fuel delivery 5 gals

Free passport pics

Free paper maps

AAA discounts on hotels, flights, and car rentals.

Also don't forget your AAA benifits follow you, so if a friend or family member is having car issue, you just call AAA for them.

My Chrysler is going on 22 years old. Its the largest fwd chrysler ever made. The inside and outside looks new, and its like driving a leather couch down the road. I still drive this ol beast cross country, and it has never let me down. When time catches up with it, AAA will foot the bill
for towing.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Revelations 8 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2017, 04:37 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 38,405 Times in 12,608 Posts

AAA is very much worth it.

I have the premium plus boat towing.

If something major happens, the towing service will likely pay for 10 years membership.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Forester

Thanked 9,368 Times in 4,616 Posts

I am road warrior and used to drive old cars.
Short list of failed parts, radiator, rad hose, fan belts, broken axle, failed brake line, failed transmission linkage, bad U-joint, jumped timing chain, carburetor fire, black box electronic failure, broken tie rod end, fuel pump,fuel filter, broken fuel line,bad coil, burnt points, bad condenser, to name a few.

Maintenance is your best friend. For a long trip you can carry some parts. Modern cars need a lot less TLC than the old ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to ppine For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 12:26 PM

Default Was stranded on hwy.

Just this past summer, I purchased a 2003 Chev Silverado 2500HD with the Duromax diesel.
As this is my first ever diesel, there has been a learning curve.

2 weeks ago, with the temperature at -31C (about -25F), I was driving to work at 5 am in the morning when my truck started chugging and loosing power. I barely got it off the road before it died.
Turns out that my diesel fuel congealed and plugged my fuel filter.
As luck would have it, it being so early in the morning, I was sitting on the side of the highway for about an hour before the tow truck got there.
On top of that, I had to don a high vis vest and direct traffic while the tow truck driver got my truck hooked up. (At one point an oncoming car ignored his lights and almost ran him over).
With the wind chill, it was almost -50 C.

This could all have been averted had I put in some Stanodyne diesel treatment with my fill up. (I have done this religiously, but for some reason, forgot at this fill up).

Broke down and stranded. First time diesel owner, steep learning curve.
Now, I have a spare fuel filter and 2 jugs of Stanodyne diesel treatment in the truck.
Could have been far worse, but was bad enough.

Lesson learned.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:31 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 66,357 Times in 22,045 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Outside of the normal equipment, I keep a duct tape (for hoses etc) extra oil and extra transmission fluid/steering fluid.

If you can patch a small leak temporarily (or slow it down) the extra fluid may allow you to get somewhere where there is help/assistance.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,198 Posts

Credit card, cell phone, road service.

Not much in line of parts.....too many to stock, special tools, code readers.....can't even see the motor on many newer vehicles.
Don't want to mess with it anyway.

Just had my truck not start at the end of my driveway......1999
Insurance has towing...
Hauled to dealer, was fuel pump....had to overnight one in not in stock.

Very common these days....no one keeps parts for older vehicles in stock....actually have a name for it..."Heritage parts"......

So along with a the standard jumper cables..(actually made a carry battery box for something else, but acts like a jump box)

Some fuses... added schematic.... .manuals/no longer have a schematic in them.....(one fuse box has 185 fuses in it...so which one?)

Spare tire, many no longer have them...tire fix kit, Inflate a flat (need to replace regularly they tend to not work after a while)

Gal antifreeze/coolant
Qt. oil
Qt. tranny fluid
Qt. break fluid
Starter fluid.
Gal fuel can (empty)

"The Crate...".
w/ trailer hitches, pins, WD40,
wire ties, tape bungees ratchet straps, road flares, gloves.

Basic tool box hand tools...also shovel, axe, pry bar, floor and farmer jack...tow strap.etc.

Most of what gets carried is emergency gear...water, food, clothes, shelter.....
Old 02-13-2017, 08:34 AM
Hiker

I have probably driven way over a million miles and only been stranded twice and that was in a city vehicles. Someone came and got me pretty quickly both times. The first time was in a Chevy Lumina. It had a short on the firewall in the wiring harness and it just cut off, no warning. The second was in a Buick Skylark. The water pump literally came apart out on the interstate. It had been making noise for a while and the city garage kept saying it was OK.

In my personal cars, knock on wood, I have never been stranded. I'm anal with service and repairs, I keep the spare full of air, I carry tools and I know what it's supposed to sound like and feel like.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:57 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 1,757 Times in 611 Posts

If you can find posts about it, check out how the fellars in Alaska oufit their snowmachines for the race from Anchorage, to Nome to Fairbanks.

The ziptie pretty much another whole snowmachine (in pieces) to any point on the race machine that will allow them to. Extra shocks, extra fuel tanks, you name it. They're limited to working on major engine problems at the required layover in Nome and that's it.

They're using 440CC snowmachines and running at about 100mph the whole way. The only thing you can rely on is your partner running along with you. To win the race, both of you have to finish together.

It's a bad mamby jamby of a race. Sarah Palins hubby is a leading contender every year. Could you imagine if she was VP back with McCain and the secret service had to follow him on that race?

The sled dog racers for the Yukon Quest and the Iditarod don't carry anywhere near as much in spares. If a dog goes down, they put him in the basket and drop him off with the handlers at the next checkpoint.

Yukon Quest runs from Fairbanks to Whitehore Canada every other year and Whitehorse to Fairbanks on opposite years. When those dogs come across the lines at the check points, they're fed first and bedded down on straw before the musher does anything for his own comfort.

So, in short, if you have any room in your BOV, fill it with spare parts.. and tools, lots of tools..
Old 02-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Hiker

Location: The original Birmingham, Engand, or as we call it the BLACK COUNTRY

i use a 19mm impact socket on a 600mm breaker bar to undo wheel nuts, once i had a puncture it split nd i was then unable to undo the nuts. now i carry two forms of wrench to undo wheel nuts the one handle has been ground down so it will act as a jack handle as well

also a light, i had one torch in the van one night it broke in the rain and then i was working with touch only, now i have a battery clip on a long lead and a used side light so i have some thing i can plug in to the ciggie lighter
Old 02-18-2017, 04:34 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,101 Times in 471 Posts

Different models usually have different needs.

Spare points/condenser/distributor cap/rotor for older engines. Besides fan belt, I carry spare upper & lower radiator hoses.

Got stranded once by a small bypass hose living under the intake manifold. Blew out and no way to get to it on the road. Finally clamped it off with vice grips and added water periodically till I got home.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,335 Times in 489 Posts

The best part or tool is to actually know what you are.doing. perfect example, my stepson blasted through a puddle in his truck the other day. The truck started running like crap. He took the cap off like i told him, but he decided it was too wet and dropped a new distributor in it. The truck wont start or run. I went over while he was at work and found that not only did he drop the distributor in 180 out, but the distributor he bought was one of those hi performance go fast things that stupid kids buy. The stock cap and rotor will fit any way you want it too, without being right. He also knocked the vacuum line off the map sensor. I left it like i found it. Walking to work builds character and eventually leads to motivation to get educated. Bottom line, you can carry an entire shop load of tools and spare parts with you, but if ya dont know what ur doin, ur still walkin home.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,335 Times in 489 Posts

AAA is great but you need to remember one thing with any emergency roadside assistance plan. As soon as you leave the pavement, youre not covered. Its cash out of your pocket, and they charge you hourly from the time they leave their shop till they get back to their shop. Last time i checked, the companies around here are $80 an hour.